PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey to miss sixth game of season

Denver Native (Carol)
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey was held out of practice Friday and will miss his sixth game of the season Sunday in San Diego.

Bailey, who has worked with strength coaches during the week’s practices, is still recovering from a left foot injury he suffered in the preseason. He has played in just two games -- against the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Indianapolis Colts -- this season. The Broncos are still hopeful he can return to practice next week and have a chance to play in the Nov. 17 game against the Kansas City Chiefs in Denver.

The Broncos will play the Chiefs twice in a three-week span with the Broncos headed to Arrowhead Stadium for a Dec. 1 game.

rest - including updates on other players injuries
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/2296/champ-bailey-to-miss-sixth-game-of-season

CoachChaz
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Not holding my breath

Northman
11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I think its time to hang it up Champers.

Pudge
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see this team get him a ring. Of all the players that don't have one he deserves one. Then he can hang it up after this season

VonDoom
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see this team get him a ring. Of all the players that don't have one he deserves one. Then he can hang it up after this season

Sure, especially if he announces it beforehand and then we get some Ray Lewis calls from the refs in the playoffs. I'm all for it.

DenBronx
11-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Sure, especially if he announces it beforehand and then we get some Ray Lewis calls from the refs in the playoffs. I'm all for it.

He should announce it so we get the Lewis sympathy treatment. Lets do it for Champ!!

Then if we dont win then he can just say he's coming back for one more year.

Magnificent Seven
11-08-2013, 05:39 PM
I think this season will be Champ Bailey's final year with the Broncos. Elway will make some big moves after this season. Release or trade Champ Bailey... Draft a stud CB in NFL Draft 2014.

BroncoWave
11-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I think this season will be Champ Bailey's final year with the Broncos. Elway will make some big moves after this season. Release or trade Champ Bailey... Draft a stud CB in NFL Draft 2014.

I don't think we really need to draft a CB high next year. If we can re-sign DRC, I will be more than happy with a DRC/Webster/Harris top 3, then we can just bring in a FA or draft someone in the mid rounds to fill out the last spot or 2.

DenBronx
11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I don't think we really need to draft a CB high next year. If we can re-sign DRC, I will be more than happy with a DRC/Webster/Harris top 3, then we can just bring in a FA or draft someone in the mid rounds to fill out the last spot or 2.

Those 3 are our long term options.

Id like to see Champ leave on his own terms. Really I hope he takes a paycut but if he doesn't I can see Elway moving on. Champs 10 mill should be enough for all 3 of those guys and I would think that is money well spent. DRC and Harris are just ballin right now and I think down the stretch with Miller in there will be alot more turnovers.

Ziggy
11-08-2013, 06:42 PM

He drafted one in 2013.

Magnificent Seven
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Those 3 are our long term options.

Id like to see Champ leave on his own terms. Really I hope he takes a paycut but if he doesn't I can see Elway moving on. Champs 10 mill should be enough for all 3 of those guys and I would think that is money well spent. DRC and Harris are just ballin right now and I think down the stretch with Miller in there will be alot more turnovers.

Good Point! I like it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-08-2013, 10:37 PM
He drafted one in 2013.

Yes he did; Webster is turning out to be a good football player.

Timmy!
11-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Being the himer that I am, I think Champ has something leftin the tank, at least for this year anyway. I hope he sits out till December and then can help us down the stretch. I think he knows this is his best chance to get a ring.

Slick
11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I hope if Denver is fortunate to win the trophy this year, that Champ is able to play in the late season/playoffs. Not at the expense of the team obviously, just that a ring would mean more to him personally if he were a contributor and not just watching from the sideline.

Army Bronco
11-09-2013, 03:01 PM
He drafted one in 2013.

Yes he did; Webster is turning out to be a good football player.Would suck for Champ if he misses the playoffs and Denver wins it all with him on the bench.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-09-2013, 03:41 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Even though he did not practice this week and is listed as out for Sunday’s game with the Chargers, cornerback Champ Bailey said Friday that he is “pretty close” to returning to the field.

Bailey said that when he aggravated his foot injury in Indianapolis he knew that it wasn’t as severe as the initial injury, and he didn’t expect to miss as many games as he did at the start of the season.

“It’s really one of those things I got to practice a few days and get through it – get my confidence back in it,” Bailey said. “That’s really what it’s based on – the pain and the confidence that I’ll have in my foot.”

He added that once he returns he won’t hold anything back and that’s the reason why he wants to make sure that he is as healthy as he can be before returning to action.

rest - plus Champ video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bailey-Pretty-Close/1204d68d-ddc4-41cb-9a50-fd57b4dec653

Denver Native (Carol)
11-09-2013, 03:43 PM
from same article:

Though he admitted that it was frustrating not being able to participate in live action, Bailey has remained involved on the sideline.

Bailey, who is in his 15th NFL season, said that when necessary he chimes in with his advice.

“If I feel like I need to say something I do,” Bailey said. “If things are going smooth -- I’m definitely involved in making sure I stay on top of what’s going on -- but things have been going pretty smooth so far. I expect that on Sunday and I definitely step in when I have to.”

Interim Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio has taken note of Bailey's contribution on the sideline and said that his efforts have been helpful.

"He’s still very engaged, very much a great, supportive teammate, helping guys on the sideline," Del Rio said. "He’s doing what he can to help us win.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bailey-Pretty-Close/1204d68d-ddc4-41cb-9a50-fd57b4dec653

Broncolingus
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
I think its time to hang it up Champers.

I cant high-five that post (doesn't feel right), but I agree...

...going back to when he re-injured himself a couple of weeks ago.

Keep him around for the rest of the season to help the younger players, coaches, and maybe even get healthy enough to see some situational playing time in the playoffs and (with luck) still get that ring...

...he so deserves it.

Joel
11-09-2013, 05:58 PM
That was so much crap; the only thing worse than the calls in their game against Indy were the ones when they played us. After that I just quit watching, because it was a foregone conclusion the NFL would hand Stabby McGee another Ring as a gold watch.

None but Champ and his doctors can even guess his short term future now. I wasn't on board with the people who spent the last 2-3 years swearing he'd be a Pro Bowl CB till he was 40, and I'm not on board with the people swearing he's washed up now. I don't expect him back till shortly before the playoffs (if then,) and it's certainly conceivable he may never play again, hanging it up if he finally gets his Ring or, if he doesn't, deciding it's not worth further punishing his body for something he might NEVER get.

If he gets healthy though he's still a quality, if no longer elite, CB, and all the skills he's always had at premium levels (play recognition, anticipation, reaction time, ball-hawking, tackling and, of course, a decade of All Pro experience) are huge benefits in a starting safety, and his diminishing speed would be less of a liability since he'd have more lead time to get in position once he knew where the ball was going (something Champ has always excelled at diagnosing early.) We'll see what happens; ideally, we go out and get him a Ring this year so whether/how to return becomes an option rather than cruel dilemma.

Captain Speardog
11-09-2013, 08:23 PM
He says he is pretty close. I look for him to play in two weeks.

Dapper Dan
11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
The defense has issues, but they've played better than I expected without Champ.