PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio Impressed by Team's Response

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Wednesday marked the Broncos' first practice in pads in preparation for San Diego this Sunday, and it came with Jack Del Rio running the show.

Now the interim head coach/defensive coordinator, Del Rio said he is honored to have been entrusted by Head Coach John Fox to lead the club in his absence.

"I'm just doing the best I can to lean on the players and the staff we have here and make sure that we carry on," he said.

Quarterback Peyton Manning said Del Rio has been "excellent" this week.

"It’s very easy to see why he’s been a head coach for 10-plus years," Manning said. "He’s got great leadership, good command of the room and Jack’s a good leader. I think guys will answer the bell and follow him."

Del Rio said the team has already shown a readiness to step up in Fox's absence, doing whatever it takes to make sure there is no dropoff.

It was obvious, the interim head coach said, in Wednesday's practice in preparation for the Chargers.

rest - plus Del Rio video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Del-Rio-Impressed-by-Teams-Response/ba2ecf13-a611-4a57-bb29-6d7194827df8

Joel
11-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I couldn't help thinking Kubiak heading to the hospital at HT is why the Texans blew their big lead and lost to Indy (don't get me wrong, I like Wade, but he's not an offensive coach, and Houstons offense was as critical to their early lead as their D.) The point is when Houston lost the head coach largely responsible for the offensive gameplan and playcalling, the rookie QB in his first start was completely incapable of pulling that slack; that's not the case in Denver: Peyton Manning's been calling most offensive since the start of last year, and the area where coaching is most needed (i.e. defense) is Del Rios specialty.

That's not to say there'll be no dropoff tomorrow, but there's good reason to doubt it, and it shouldn't be large or long-lasting. The team's surely anxious to win one for Fox, and it's unclear much will change.

I hope that's the case, anyway, because the next month is easily the thoughest part of our regular season; it's a darned good thing we have someone with extensive head coach experience in charge.