PDA

View Full Version : John Moffitt Goes Emo...

Buff
11-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 12m

Broncos' G John Moffitt is doing some soul searching. Didn't show up after bye. Frustrated with lack of playing time.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 12m

#Broncos need to make a move today with C J.D. Walton today. #Broncos did not necessarily want to release Moffitt. Still some discussions.

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis

Do you think he knows he's a backup who is lucky to have a roster spot and collect an easy paycheck?

MasterShake
11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Little Miss Moffit sat on the bench
Watching the Broncos play

Along came the bye-week
That turned into a cry week
And scared Miss Moffit away

Also who the hell is John Moffit?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I think they knew there was some risk with him when they signed him.

GEM
11-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Little Miss Moffit sat on the bench
Watching the Broncos play

Along came the bye-week
That turned into a cry week
And scared Miss Moffit away

Also who the hell is John Moffit?

He was the dude that was traded to us from Seattle after their trade with the Browns fell through.

underrated29
11-05-2013, 03:08 PM
what did we trade for this guy? I must have been out of town. I do not know who the hell he is or that he was even on the roster.

Traveler
11-05-2013, 03:12 PM
what did we trade for this guy? I must have been out of town. I do not know who the hell he is or that he was even on the roster.

Think it was the Somoan DT we had. Sealver Siliga (sp?) or something like that.

Zweems56
11-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Siliga

tubby
11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Well, I think he is about to get cut to make room for JD Walton.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Broncos guard-center John Moffitt did not report back to the team Monday as players returned from their bye week.

According to a source close to Moffitt, the third-year NFL lineman from the University of Wisconsin is doing some soul searching amid frustration at his lack of playing time. Moffitt did not attend practice Monday, but the Broncos do not have to list reasons for absences until Wednesday.

Moffitt has been inactive in six of eight games since the Broncos acquired him from the Seattle Seahawks in late August in a trade for defensive tackle Sealver Siliga.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24458598/john-moffitt-fails-report-broncos-j-d-walton-be-activated

underrated29
11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Ahh, I remember this trade now.

So, the question to be asked must be "is JD Walton an incognito richie"?

Buff
11-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Well, I think he is about to get cut to make room for JD Walton.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and didn't feel like showing up for a couple days only to get cut. Still - just go through the motions for crying out loud.

chazoe60
11-05-2013, 03:22 PM
We need to get Richie Incognito to toughen these pansies up.

tubby
11-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and didn't feel like showing up for a couple days only to get cut. Still - just go through the motions for crying out loud.

Agreed. A total EMO move.

Buff
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 1m

Just talked to John Moffitt. He's giving up football. Told the @DenverBroncos two days ago. "I'm ready to live a different kind of life."

MasterShake
11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 1m

Just talked to John Moffitt. He's giving up football. Told the @DenverBroncos two days ago. "I'm ready to live a different kind of life."

Yh-QWKGbm2Q

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 04:53 PM
from updated article:

The Broncos also activated center J.D. Walton from the physically unable to perform list. His time on the PUP list was set to expire at 2 p.m.

The Broncos did not necessarily want to release Moffitt, but it did help in activating Walton.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24458598/john-moffitt-fails-report-broncos-j-d-walton-be-activated

Buff
11-05-2013, 05:00 PM
John Moffitt ‏@Moffitt74 10m

Football was fun but my head hurts-haha kidding roger goodell. I'm on to new things, thanks to everyone along the way!!!

Ravage!!!
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
he Broncos also activated center J.D. Walton from the physically unable to perform list. His time on the PUP list was set to expire at 2 p.m.

This could be VERY good news for our OL. Has anyone read/heard anything more on Walton?

Ziggy
11-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Walton will be good depth. Ramirez is playing better than he ever did.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2013, 05:58 PM

I would agree with that. Ramirez has played really well.

MOtorboat
11-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Football was fun but my head hurts-haha kidding roger goodell. I'm on to new things, thanks to everyone along the way!!!

Coincidence that this happened once he moved to Colorado?

tubby
11-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Coincidence that this happened once he moved to Colorado?
I hope NE doesn't do to you what it did to Incognito. Wait, when was the last time you visited NoMorals Stadium?

tubby
11-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Add Content

sneakers
11-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Some one mention emo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9hCmFuu-8

sneakers
11-05-2013, 11:11 PM
emo is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0LJ0Dnl7A

sneakers
11-05-2013, 11:13 PM
great emo song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKN3XrpYRQE

MOtorboat
11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I hope NE doesn't do to you what it did to Incognito. Wait, when was the last time you visited NoMorals Stadium?

I was trying to make a joke...my bad...

tubby
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Dear MO...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24461038/colorado-voters-decide-how-heavily-tax-marijuana-sales

MOtorboat
11-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Dear MO...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24461038/colorado-voters-decide-how-heavily-tax-marijuana-sales

'Bout time.

Captain Speardog
11-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Do you think he knows he's a backup who is lucky to have a roster spot and collect an easy paycheck?

Really Buff, an easy paycheck? Nothing is easy if your miserable. I wish him the best of luck. Not many players go out on their own terms, good for him.

Captain Speardog
11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

If a guard gets injured Walton can move to Center and Ramirez to guard. Anything would be better than trotting Kuper back out there to OLAY the DTs to the QB.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2013, 11:26 AM

Yeah.. this is pretty much what I'm thinking. If someone goes down, Ramirez can now move in while Walton goes to Center. I think Kuper coming back is good as well. The more bodies we have for the OL the better considering our luck, so far, this season.

Dapper Dan
11-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I think he just retired.

Reminds me of Jake Plummer, a little.

tubby
11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
'Bout time.

Well, it goes live Jan 1st so i'd say they are right on schedule.

tomjonesrocks
11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Guess they could have cut this guy if they wanted to keep King...

DenBronx
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Offensive lineman John Moffitt walks away from the NFL, says he’s ‘not happy at all’

Most of us can't imagine someone making a six-figure salary to play in the NFL just walking away from that life.

John Moffitt enjoyed some parts of that career. He just didn't enjoy it enough to continue.

Moffitt, a third-year offensive lineman, told the Broncos he wasn't going to return to the team after its bye week. Just like that, he was done with football.

Playing in the NFL seems like a fantasy for most red-blooded American males, but it's not always an easy life. Moffitt explained his decision to suddenly retire to the Associated Press.

"I just really thought about it and decided I'm not happy. I'm not happy at all," Moffitt told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Seattle. "And I think it's really madness to risk your body, risk your well-being and risk your happiness for money.

"Everybody, they just don't get it and they think it's crazy. But I think what I was doing is crazy."

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/offensive-lineman-john-moffitt-walks-away-nfl-says-211429267--nfl.html

DenBronx
11-06-2013, 07:08 PM
From article:

He had a $625,000 base salary this year, and was scheduled to make a base salary of $752,500 next year.

That probably didnt include any bonuses. His chances of winning a SB ring is also pretty high. Even sitting on the bench would have been worth that. With the rate our guys get hurt he might had seen playing time down the stretch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Good for him.

Buff
11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
On one hand - more power to him for doing what he wants to do... On the other hand, it feels like an immature and financially irresponsible decision. In twenty years when he's an insurance salesman he probably will regret not trying to gut out a couple more years to make sure he is financially set for life. But it's his life and his body.

Nomad
11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Was John Moffit a rookie? Never really heard of him.

Nomad
11-06-2013, 08:45 PM
On one hand - more power to him for doing what he wants to do... On the other hand, it feels like an immature and financially irresponsible decision. In twenty years when he's an insurance salesman he probably will regret not trying to gut out a couple more years to make sure he is financially set for life. But it's his life and his body.

I agree. You gotta take advantage while you can. That's what I told my wife, because she's tired of the military and is up for retirement in less than 2 yrs, but I told her if the AF let's her IPCOT here and reenlist, then suck it up for another 3/4 yrs.

Buff
11-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I agree. You gotta take advantage while you can. That's what I told my wife, because she's tired of the military and is up for retirement in less than 2 yrs, but I told her if the AF let's her IPCOT here and reenlist, then suck it up for another 3/4 yrs.

The smartest people I know always have the long term/big picture in mind.

Dapper Dan
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah. He could have kept playing and grown old and enjoyed retirement like Junior Seau.

rationalfan
11-06-2013, 10:21 PM

the smartest people i know don't let money contaminate their decision making process.

Nomad
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah. He could have kept playing and grown old and enjoyed retirement like Junior Seau.

It's like the kid who says he doesn't want to join the military because he's gonna die, then the next day he dies in a car wreck.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-06-2013, 11:20 PM

I think he has his long term health in mind.

He's also probably got enough saved to buy a house.

Dapper Dan
11-07-2013, 12:30 AM
It's like the kid who says he doesn't want to join the military because he's gonna die, then the next day he dies in a car wreck.

Of course. Anyone can die at anytime. But it's shown that football causes health problems, especially in the brain. Is he suppose to keep playing, screw up his brain, then sue?

aberdien
11-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Of course. Anyone can die at anytime. But it's shown that football causes health problems, especially in the brain. Is he suppose to keep playing, screw up his brain, then sue?
Luckily for him he wouldn't be able to sue anyway what with that settlement and all.

Nomad
11-07-2013, 02:43 AM

My point was you are assuming that will happen, just like kids out of high school assume if they join up they'll die not thinking that something as simple as driving could kill you when you would have probably survived in the military. I don't care if the guy plays or not, but I would have at least played out my contract.

Captain Speardog
11-07-2013, 03:51 AM

In 20 years when he is still capable of walking and being pain free that might be all the justification he needs.

Dapper Dan
11-07-2013, 08:14 AM
My point was you are assuming that will happen, just like kids out of high school assume if they join up they'll die not thinking that something as simple as driving could kill you when you would have probably survived in the military. I don't care if the guy plays or not, but I would have at least played out my contract.

I'm not assuming that will happen. But what are the odds? The odds of injury playing football and the odds of having trouble walking after a 10+year career in the NFL are probably a lot higher than dying in the military. Some people don't do things because money isn't everything. I served out the rest of my contract. I could have extended my contract and went on a mission to Jordan. I decided $50k wasn't worth missing my daughter's first steps. As for his contract, it's like an officer in the military. They can retire/resign if they want. It's their choice. It's his option. Everyone can sit and second guess someone else's decision whenever they don't have to live with the decision. That's easy.

Many are assuming he's going to fail financially. We don't know enough about his situation to know how he will do. Playing football doesn't guarantee he'll be set up financially. Football players go broke everyday.

I think it always shocks football fans when football players don't want to play anymore.

Dapper Dan
11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Luckily for him he wouldn't be able to sue anyway what with that settlement and all.

Darn.

Maybe he could sue because he didn't know playing football was hard on your knees.

Buff
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
the smartest people i know don't let money contaminate their decision making process.

Yes, that is a nice idealistic POV that in theory I agree with, but it's also totally divorced from the real world. Money is freedom.

Buff
11-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I think he has his long term health in mind.

He's also probably got enough saved to buy a house.

In 20 years when he is still capable of walking and being pain free that might be all the justification he needs.

More power to him. Maybe he will go on to lead a happy and healthy life. I think it's equally likely that he'll wish he would have endured a few more months as a backup for 3/4 of a million dollars.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Yes, that is a nice idealistic POV that in theory I agree with, but it's also totally divorced from the real world. Money is freedom.

Money can also be your slaver. I am COMPLETELY on the side of "if you enjoy what you do, you never work a day in your life." WOrking sucks. If you can do something that you enjoy, that TRUMPS money everyday.

rationalfan
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM

happiness/contentment are freedom.

Buff
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Money can also be your slaver. I am COMPLETELY on the side of "if you enjoy what you do, you never work a day in your life." WOrking sucks. If you can do something that you enjoy, that TRUMPS money everyday.

No argument from me. My only point is that he's probably going to have to get another job at some point. At minimum, just finish out the year and collect nearly a million dollars which could make a huge difference throughout the rest of his life.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2013, 11:54 AM
No argument from me. My only point is that he's probably going to have to get another job at some point. At minimum, just finish out the year and collect nearly a million dollars which could make a huge difference throughout the rest of his life.

and I ABSOLUTELY am 100% in agreement with you there!

Dreadnought
11-07-2013, 11:58 AM

WTH is going on here? I've agreed with Buff like 3, 4 times in the course of two days.

For real slavery, for real unhappiness, try poverty and being forced to take any available dogcrap job to pay for groceries and rent for a shitty apartment in a dodgy part of town. I mean really broke, like eating Kraft mac n' cheese for dinner 4 nights a week, without butter. Having a car that might or might not start each morning, but which anyways is out of your hands because there is no way to fix or replace said car. If he hated football that much then I hope he planned, and banked most of his salary for as long as he could, put it in interest bearing bonds and mutual funds, or real property, then he can go pursue life as a performance artist or dog groomer or poet or what have you. Otherwise its childish self indulgence.

I totally disagree with the maxim that only doing something you love is worth doing for a living. Its one of those clichés we often hear and accept without thinking about the consequences.

MOtorboat
11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Moffitt's dad has owned a big painting business in Connecticut for 40 years. Money might not be a factor.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Moffitt's dad has owned a big painting business in Connecticut for 40 years. Money might not be a factor.

Didn't he go to Stanford or something as well?

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Didn't he go to Stanford or something as well?

Nevermind, I see he went to Wisconsin.

MOtorboat
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Nevermind, I see he went to Wisconsin.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Dreadnought
11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Wisconsin has even more Reds than are at Stanford, but apart from that its a good school. A Hippie haven in the Midwest

Dapper Dan
11-07-2013, 03:06 PM
So do we already assume he has no back up plan?

Also, what about his failed physical? Maybe he already has some health issues.

What about what Plummer did? This guy is turning down money. Plummer was traded. Took the money. Then retired. At least Moffitt isn't screwing anyone over.

Dapper Dan
11-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Wisconsin has even more Reds than are at Stanford, but apart from that its a good school. A Hippie haven in the Midwest

Which makes it odd that he wants out of the hippie haven in Denver so quickly.

DenBronx
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Give me 700k a year and I will let you kick me in the nuts.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-07-2013, 08:11 PM
More power to him. Maybe he will go on to lead a happy and healthy life. I think it's equally likely that he'll wish he would have endured a few more months as a backup for 3/4 of a million dollars.

That's probably only true if he doesn't already have health concerns.

DenBronx
11-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I might be one of the few who would play football for free.

It's a game......Turkey mud Bowl 2013 here I come!!!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I might be one of the few who would play football for free.

It's a game......Turkey mud Bowl 2013 here I come!!!!

I don't know dude, my son is only 16 and he's already had 2 concussions. The long term health risks are very real. I love watching my son play, but I'm not sure I want him to play again.

Hawgdriver
11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I appreciate bold statements like this. It opens up the discussion.

But it seems foolish to leave so much money on the table.

This is speculation, but the overriding factor may have been that it was not be a good fit for him. After all, who leaves their chosen calling when you have an opportunity to achieve the highest goal imaginable? A Superbowl run on a historic offense.

Dude, you did the mic drop thing wrong. Your timing sucked. Wait until after you make your statement.

CoachChaz
11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't know dude, my son is only 16 and he's already had 2 concussions. The long term health risks are very real. I love watching my son play, but I'm not sure I want him to play again.

Amen. I have 3 boys and just off hand, I can count broken fingers, broken hands, 2 concussions, a knee surgery, a shoulder surgery, back spasms, sprained ankles and plenty of stitches. All from football. Hell...one of the twins had to sit out awhile last night because a lineman grabbed his sack and squeezed.

My oldest is about to walk on to North Texas and the twins still have 3 years of high school left. I tell them they are crazy for going through it all. It's a violent game and having the financial security to deal with the physical cost of playing is a bonus I sure as hell wouldnt pass up

Dapper Dan
11-08-2013, 05:26 PM
He's 27, not 47. I think he'll be okay. He has a lot of life left. If not, well, it doesn't matter.

chazoe60
11-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Heard Moffitt interviewed on the DP show friday, he's a funny dude. I hold no ill will toward him just like I hold no ill will toward Plummer. He did say it wouldn't have been as hard of a decision if he hadn't gone to such a good team and organization, but even with as good as the Broncos are his heart just wasn't in it. I prefer a guy do what Moffitt did than just hang around and get a check.

He seemed like a pretty cool guy with a really good sense of humor, I wish him nothing but the best.

chazoe60
11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
So do we already assume he has no back up plan?

Also, what about his failed physical? Maybe he already has some health issues.

What about what Plummer did? This guy is turning down money. Plummer was traded. Took the money. Then retired. At least Moffitt isn't screwing anyone over.

Plummer retired before he was traded. The Bucs were hoping they could talk him out of retirement. The only money Jake "took" was signing bonus.

Pudge
11-09-2013, 11:57 PM
How much was his signing bonus? I read he had to return 3.5 million of it. Was that the whole bonus or just a part of it

Traveler
11-12-2013, 09:52 AM
How much was his signing bonus? I read he had to return 3.5 million of it. Was that the whole bonus or just a part of it

Got a link?

pnbronco
11-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Plummer retired before he was traded. The Bucs were hoping they could talk him out of retirement. The only money Jake "took" was signing bonus.

The Bucs offered Jake $ 5.3 million plus another 1 million donated to his foundation. The Bucs did sue him for the signing bonus and he paid $3.5 million back to them. So he really didn't take anything all in all.

I'm with you Chaz. Moffitt's heart wasn't in it so he left. From what I read even the idea of getting a Super Bowl ring wasn't enough for him to stay, so his heart was really not in it anymore. In my world of working my tail off for a little money it's hard to understand leaving that much money on the table. However I can't put a person down for following their heart and not taking the money for just the sake of the money.

Chaz you're also right about him having a great sense of humor, he joked with me the few times I talked to him and he's just a nice guy. I have no ill will towards him and only wish him the best and that he find what he believes his true calling is.

I saw Jake last year and he was walking normal and said he got out before he had concussions. He's really happy and just seemed at peace with his life.

LuisPastrana4
11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Anyone coming to KC for the game here let me know!! I'm gonna have a big tailgate party before the game

Dapper Dan
11-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone coming to KC for the game here let me know!! I'm gonna have a big tailgate party before the game

I probably won't have time to tailgate, but I'll be at the game.