PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' John Elway discusses stress on NFL coaches

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 02:07 PM
After Texans coach Gary Kubiak collapsed on the sideline Sunday night, not 48 hours after John Fox was hospitalized with heart trouble, it's hard not to wonder about the stress the NFL places on its head coaches.

"There's a lot of pressure on head coaches, so I think especially with the size of this game and the growth of this game, expectation levels have continued to grow," Broncos executive vice president John Elway said. "That's a tough, tough spot."

Elway added that he doesn't think there would be a way for the league to mandate or restrict hours spent at teams' facilities by coaches. When asked about such a proposition, Elway laughed and said that he thinks coaches wouldn't listen to such a rule if it were put into place.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24454422/broncos-john-elway-discusses-stress-nfl-coaches

includes injury update

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 02:09 PM
from article:

Comparing Fox and Del Rio.

Del Rio said Monday that not much will change around the Broncos' facility with him in charge, and that's likely true. However, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, who played under Del Rio in Jacksonville when he was a head coach before coming to Denver, was willing to offer a comparison of the styles of Fox and Del Rio.

"My years in Jacksonville, I think the difference is the players," Knighton said. "Fox can be a little bit more relaxed here because of the leadership. ... In Jacksonville, Jack had to be more strict because we were a younger team and didn't have the Von Millers and Wesley Woodyards — game-changers like that. We didn't have that in Jacksonville. Other than that, I don't see a difference."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24454422/broncos-john-elway-discusses-stress-nfl-coaches

MasterShake
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I think stress may be a factor, but if you look at it holistically a lot of these coaches are just generally unhealthy. I think if I recall correctly John Fox chews tobacco and I'm sure his diet isn't the greatest whereas other coaches like Mike Shannahan were known to work long hours but also be conscious of exercising and keeping a nice tan going year round.

Then there are coaches like Andy Reid:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I think stress may be a factor, but if you look at it holistically a lot of these coaches are just generally unhealthy. I think if I recall correctly John Fox chews tobacco and I'm sure his diet isn't the greatest whereas other coaches like Mike Shannahan were known to work long hours but also be conscious of exercising and keeping a nice tan going year round.

Then there are coaches like Andy Reid:

One of the articles stated that Coach Fox had stopped chewing tobacco and had lost weight

OrangeHoof
11-05-2013, 06:59 PM
In a response, the league has stated they will begin fining players who hit defenseless coaches with the crown of their helmets...

and PLEASE outlaw that stupid Gatorade shower, Some coach someday is going to get a coronary right there on the sideline after getting doused with ice cold beverages after a big win.