PDA

View Full Version : What Did Some Broncos Players Say About Incognito and Martin?

BSN Denver
11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
As I walked through the Broncos locker room on Monday, I stopped by the lockers of three players that I knew pretty well. I asked them about the situation surrounding Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito and heard a wide range of responses.

Incognito has been suspended indefinitely for bullying second year player Jonathan Martin. The bullying eventually escalated to the point that Martin walked out of Dolphins headquarters and has no plan to come back anytime soon.

According to a source obtained by CBS analyst Jason LaConfora, this “was not an isolated incident -- not even close.” The source confirmed that “It's been going on almost since they drafted him.” Apparently, Incognito was not the only player involved in the bullying and it was known throughout the team that Martin was being picked on heavily by the rest of the offensive line. Incognito, who has a pretty nasty rap-sheet connected to him already, is the one who is being deemed as the ring leader.

In a series of four tweets, ESPN’s Adam Schefter shared this voicemail from Incognito to Martin:
....CLICK HERE TO READ MORE (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=what-did-some-broncos-players)

GEM
11-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Great read, thanks!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I find it interesting that some think he should have just fought Incognito, especially when Incognito was a "team leader", and apparently the whole offensive line was going along with it. I suppose some players might not like the way he stood up for himself, but the way he stood up for himself is more likely to bring about change than just going toe to toe with Incognito.

Captain Speardog
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
As I walked through the Broncos locker room on Monday, I stopped by the lockers of three players that I knew pretty well. I asked them about the situation surrounding Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito and heard a wide range of responses.

Incognito has been suspended indefinitely for bullying second year player Jonathan Martin. The bullying eventually escalated to the point that Martin walked out of Dolphins headquarters and has no plan to come back anytime soon.

According to a source obtained by CBS analyst Jason LaConfora, this “was not an isolated incident -- not even close.” The source confirmed that “It's been going on almost since they drafted him.” Apparently, Incognito was not the only player involved in the bullying and it was known throughout the team that Martin was being picked on heavily by the rest of the offensive line. Incognito, who has a pretty nasty rap-sheet connected to him already, is the one who is being deemed as the ring leader.

In a series of four tweets, ESPN’s Adam Schefter shared this voicemail from Incognito to Martin:
....CLICK HERE TO READ MORE (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=what-did-some-broncos-players)

I heard Pouncy was ion on it too. Big surprise since he is really good friends with Ingognito and Aaron Hernandez. That whole team needs to be blown up along with Philbin.

Krugan
11-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Im not sure why "being a man" is being used negatively here, or is even in question.

He was being a man, and made a mans choice, and a proper one.

Walk away, violence leads to nothing but more violence.

Good god, what is wrong with the world we live in.

TXBRONC
11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Incognito has always been a troublemaker.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Incognito has always been a troublemaker.

Troublemaker doesn't even describe Incognito. Dude is a flat out piece of shit and always has been. From the comments coming from the Miami Dolphin players, sounds like they don't have a bunch of class quality guys as it is.

mouthofsouth
11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I know we should not profile people by their looks, but if anyone looks like a redneck type, full of arrogance and racial superiority, Incognito does. And I was born and raised in Mississippi, so I know a a little bit about such types. About bullying: I was bullied as a child and, being a shy child, was helpless to do anything about it. But I do not believe a grown man should allow a bully or bullies to run him away from his job. Stand up, be courageous. There has to be somebody else on the team or in upper management who is mature and will help you get the help you need to confront the issue. Do not go it alone. Let it be known what you are going through. I cannot believe the management of a pro team wants a player they have money invested in to be run off by a bully. So holler loud about what is going on, and then stand up and let the bully know you are not going to take such treatment lying down.

mouthofsouth
11-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I do not doubt Martin's manhood, but I do doubt that he made the right choice to run away. Bullies do not bother with people who demonstrate self confidence. Bullies are cowards and really do not want to get in a physical confrontation and have to prove their own manhood. They prey on emotional weaklings. If a grown man allows a bully to win over him, he is probably going to go through life running from bullies, and never achieve much of anything, let alone have a happy life.

Dzone
11-06-2013, 09:39 PM
You cant assume anything about what was going on in Martins mind. It's easy to say what he should have done.
So Goddell hired a prominent new york lawyer to handle the dolphins case
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-roger-goodell-hires-prominent-ny-lawyer-to-investigate-miami-dolphins-20131106,0,1200651.story

Dzone
11-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I know we should not profile people by their looks, but if anyone looks like a redneck type, full of arrogance and racial superiority, Incognito does. And I was born and raised in Mississippi, so I know a a little bit about such types. About bullying: I was bullied as a child and, being a shy child, was helpless to do anything about it. But I do not believe a grown man should allow a bully or bullies to run him away from his job. Stand up, be courageous. There has to be somebody else on the team or in upper management who is mature and will help you get the help you need to confront the issue. Do not go it alone. Let it be known what you are going through. I cannot believe the management of a pro team wants a player they have money invested in to be run off by a bully. So holler loud about what is going on, and then stand up and let the bully know you are not going to take such treatment lying down.
Thank you for the advice, M'am. Welcome to the board

Simple Jaded
11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Incognito can play C, should probably come pretty cheap.

Nomad
11-06-2013, 10:28 PM

I wonder what happened to all the hardasses around here that say football players aren't meant to be Boy Scouts as long as they are good football players. I see those same guys whining in the other thread.:lol:

Simple Jaded
11-06-2013, 11:20 PM
I wonder what happened to all the hardasses around here that say football players aren't meant to be Boy Scouts as long as they are good football players. I see those same guys whining in the other thread.:lol:

Mike Evans made the interesting observation that truly good people like Tebow get far less support in the lockerroom than d-bags like Dj Williams simply because of their ability to play football. The opposite might be true in this case considering Martin is probably the more talented player at this point.

tomjonesrocks
11-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Am sorry to hear the Broncos do the huge restaurant bill thing also.

That's a pretty stupid thing. Absolutely don't see how that practice brings anything positive to the team.

If some dude were ordering thousand dollar bottles of champagne on my tab I'd absolutely want to physically hurt him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-06-2013, 11:33 PM

That's a pretty stupid thing. Absolutely don't see how that practice brings anything positive to the team.

If some dude were ordering thousand dollar bottles of champagne on my tab I'd absolutely want to physically hurt him.
Yeah it is.

bcbronc
11-07-2013, 05:08 AM

It's pretty typical in most professional sports to my knowledge. Highly drafted rookies cover a dinner on the road. $30k probably a bit excessive, but dinner bills in the four to five digit range isn't uncommon. Honestly, if you're making six or seven figures, and you're going to get physical over spending a few grand on your teammates, there's probably something wrong with you. Really doubt that if this was all it was, even with it being $30k, that we'd have heard anything about it at all.

Part of me thinks Martin has some deeper demons that turned this situation the way it's gone. Not excusing Icognito, he's certainly a doosh, but I'd bet Martin isn't the first rook Icognito has given a hard time to.

topscribe
11-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I do not doubt Martin's manhood, but I do doubt that he made the right choice to run away. Bullies do not bother with people who demonstrate self confidence. Bullies are cowards and really do not want to get in a physical confrontation and have to prove their own manhood. They prey on emotional weaklings. If a grown man allows a bully to win over him, he is probably going to go through life running from bullies, and never achieve much of anything, let alone have a happy life.
Although one should do everything he can to avoid a physical confrontation,
you're right that it doesn't do one's character just to run. However, to stand
up and thump one's chest seems so middle school to me.

I don't know what his counselors are going to advise him to do, but if I were
his counselor, I would endeavor to assist him in seeking a mature solution.
I would advise him to go back to the offender and sit down with him for a
one-on-one talk -- offer to buy him lunch or something. Try to reason with
him. "You know, I really try to be a nice guy, and I believe you can be one,
too. You wouldn't be a captain if you didn't have those qualities." That sort
of thing.

If that failed, try again, only try to talk a couple neutral friends into going
with you, not for intimidation or anything like that. They should be friends
who have no preference between you and the other party. All they would
be there for would be to witness the talk.

If that failed, then arrange a three-way meeting between you, the other
party, and a respected leader in the organization, whether a coach or
even another captain. Try to take those witnesses with you.

By that time, you could be respected for the way you tried to handle it.
And if it still failed, everyone would know who the jerk really is.

Not that this would work in every instance, but it would be superior in
trying to knock the snot out of the other guy, or die trying, IMO.

BTW, this basic principle can be found in the 18th chapter of Matthew.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
The dinner thing is just a "right of passage." High draft picks have been doing it a LONG time. I don't have a problem with teams having a rookie hazing period.

NightTrainLayne
11-07-2013, 12:01 PM
This "tradition" of highly drafted rookies paying for big dinners stems from the imbalances of the old CBA where a rookie who hadn't proven a thing yet might get a $20 million contract, and yet an 8 year veteran o-lineman might only be getting paid $750,000 a year (I'm just making up numbers).

So, it was a way of making the rookies who got those big contracts "earn" their paychecks.

The new CBA might help alleviate a little of that since 1st and 2nd round rookies are no longer getting contracts so far out of line with veteran median talent players.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM
The dinner thing is just a "right of passage." High draft picks have been doing it a LONG time. I don't have a problem with teams having a rookie hazing period.

I can tell you that if I was a 4th round draft pick set to make $500,000 for the year I would have a huge problem with paying for a $10k dinner. I wouldn't do it.

BroncoNut
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Im not sure why "being a man" is being used negatively here, or is even in question.

He was being a man, and made a mans choice, and a proper one.

Walk away, violence leads to nothing but more violence.

Good god, what is wrong with the world we live in.

I think you make a reall good point here. Jesus said turn the other cheek, which he (Martin) pretty much did. There is all sorts of crap that could have been going on here. Incognito may have felt threatened by Martin in some way (ie: review Rex vs Nut circa 07 til forever probably). , he could have been trying to cull a weaker member from the locker room, or it could have been just cruel insecurity from Incognito. anway, I hope that helps

Northman
11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Was really surprised to see how many Dolphin players spoke up in support of Incognito. Some of them really blame Martin which is unbelievable.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Was really surprised to see how many Dolphin players spoke up in support of Incognito. Some of them really blame Martin which is unbelievable.

I heard on the radio from a Miami Dolphins beat writer who stated that it "feels" that many of the players are nervous about the NFL findings. There very well could be more players having some actions taken against them.

Mark Schlereth commented on this last night and called it the "CYA" comments coming from that locker room. The "Cover your Ass."

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
From listening to a bunch of coaches, ex players, future Hall of Famers, etc, talk on the situation, the dinner bill and rookie hazing is fine as long as it's done in context. The lower the draft pick, the lower the bill. Most all said 30K is far too excessive in this day and age, many of those young players don't have any money at all. 15K is usually an average number and it should only be done 1 time.

It's speculated that Incognito stole Tannehill's CC and bought Jet Ski's with it. That's theft, and going far beyond the line of a "rite of passage".

Seems to me that some of the Dolphins who may be in on this didn't know where to draw the line, and went about it as if they had some type of entitlement to it.

Putting a rookie on the spot so he can earn his rite of passage is one thing, but continuing to go out of your way time and time again isn't only crossing that line, it interferes with the collective goals a team may have throughout the season, IMHO.

Incognito isn't even a good NFL player.

Spiritguy
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Came across this article this morning. Had some interesting perspectives about the situation with Martin. It's direct and may be NSFW based on language. Also he quotes in full the statement reported to have be sent to martin by incognito with the N word so be forewarned. A "warriors" response to warriors, so to speak.

I've wondered what Martin was suppose to do about this situation when it has been reported that the O line was in support of what was going on and that a coach told incognito to toughen him up. There are a lot of things I wouldn't stand for but going 4-1 against guys I'm suppose to be bonding / working with wouldn't likely be one of them. My guess is, that is part of what was causing Martin so much emotional stress.

Looks like they need to clean house "emotionally speaking" and make some cultural changes in that organization where people respect each other and support each other rather than allowing the crap that went down.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9939308/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-bullying-scandal

turftoad
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Came across this article this morning. Had some interesting perspectives about the situation with Martin. It's direct and may be NSFW based on language. Also he quotes in full the statement reported to have be sent to martin by incognito with the N word so be forewarned. A "warriors" response to warriors, so to speak.

I've wondered what Martin was suppose to do about this situation when it has been reported that the O line was in support of what was going on and that a coach told incognito to toughen him up. There are a lot of things I wouldn't stand for but going 4-1 against guys I'm suppose to be bonding / working with wouldn't likely be one of them. My guess is, that is part of what was causing Martin so much emotional stress.

Looks like they need to clean house "emotionally speaking" and make some cultural changes in that organization where people respect each other and support each other rather than allowing the crap that went down.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9939308/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-bullying-scandal

That is a great read. If you haven't, you should. Puts another spin on things. If you don't want to take the time to read it, just read the last paragraph.

BroncoNut
11-07-2013, 04:27 PM

good read if you are in the pro-martin camp. I think it's a bit unfair to say that Incognito was threatening Martin's family though. acquaintances say that kinda thing about people's mothers all the time.

BroncoNut
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM

we aren't in the locker room though North, this is really a complex kinda thing. seems like Tannehill or someone was saying that Incognito and Martin were like brothers. with Incognito being the big brother. It could very well be martin's fault in not settting boundaries unitl things escalated to where they did. not to totally vindicate Incognito, but he may have been receiving another message by Martin's behavior or passivity. the voicemail/text alone just doesn't do that much for me. I text beef all the time that I want to shit in his mouth someday.

DenBronx
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
What puzzled me was when Martin played the voicemail in the locker room to everyone, then they all laughed.

Why would they laugh if this was a real threat? Obviously they all knew Richie wasnt serious and was just being way over the top.

Why would they all laugh????

DenBronx
11-07-2013, 04:45 PM

He can play multiple positions on the line.

Bring him in and leave that Martin panty waist in Miami.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't want Incognito anywhere near Denver. Send him to the Raiders where he belongs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM

He can also play cards on the freeway.

Spiritguy
11-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Another former teammate of Incognito who was not thrilled with his crap. He also shares his own rookie hazing experience.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-cleeland-incognito-20131108,0,4679530,full.column#axzz2k3kkqSdT

topscribe
11-08-2013, 02:42 PM

I hate to say it, but Romanowski showed us what a horse's rear can do for a team . . .

Dreadnought
11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't want Incognito anywhere near Denver. Send him to the Raiders where he belongs.

I think he has a brighter future as a bouncer at a low grade "Gentleman's Club" in Newark NJ, or even Miami. I don't want to see him in an NFL uniform again. I also would want nothing to do with Jonathan Martin. Sometimes the answer to a question isn't "Either/Or" but "Both."

Northman
11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Another former teammate of Incognito who was not thrilled with his crap. He also shares his own rookie hazing experience.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-cleeland-incognito-20131108,0,4679530,full.column#axzz2k3kkqSdT

But wait, he's a leader of men.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Recently suspended Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito does not have the support from NFL peers that he has received from teammates.

Incognito, who has been suspended indefinitely by the team in a bullying scandal that has swept over the league and saw Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin leave the team, has received public support from many of his teammates in recent days, including quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

But in an unscientific survey conducted by team reporters for ESPN.com's NFL Nation over two days this week, Incognito does not have the same level of support from some of his peers. Three players participated from each team surveyed, with 72 players in all asked three questions. The players taking part were granted anonymity.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9945888/most-players-survey-want-richie-incognito

Northman
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately for Ritchie, his history and some of his former teammates paint a very different picture to who he is than what his current teammates do. But if Martin knew that Ritchie was messing with him and he bantered back and forth with Ritchie (see other thread where Denbronx posted something) than im not really sure what to make of the situation.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately for Ritchie, his history and some of his former teammates paint a very different picture to who he is than what his current teammates do. But if Martin knew that Ritchie was messing with him and he bantered back and forth with Ritchie (see other thread where Denbronx posted something) than im not really sure what to make of the situation.

I don't know. I don't think I would call it "banter." I mean, people at first were saying that Martin "should have fought back." So it depends if this "banter" is simply him fighting back. There are also reports of Martin taking a beating. That, again, could have been Martin fighting back. Like you said, seems that things have more history, but I don't think the circumstances have really changed. It just seems to me, that Martin may not have been the "pillow" that many thought he was at first. Doesn't mean that the circumstances weren't miserable, though. :whoknows:

CoachChaz
11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Seems to me that if it were a mutual thing that A...Martin wouldnt have gone this far with his complaint, and B...Incognito would have already produced the evidence to prove it was a mutual joke.

DenBronx
11-08-2013, 05:21 PM
All I can say is that the Broncos seem to be pretty light hearted when it comes to rookie hazing. Nothing seems over the top....I just think we are a little more proffessional then most organization in that aspect.

Pay for a team meal should be a one time thing for the rookies and in fact the low picks or undrafted guys should only have to split it between them. Just makes sense if you are being fair.

But our hazing seems to be things like haircuts or meals or carrying pads or something. We get some fights here and there during training camps but nothing really over the top. Could you imagine Peyton Manning walking into a locker room if someone was getting bullied? He would probably give them the stare of death. haha

DenBronx
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Seems to me that if it were a mutual thing that A...Martin wouldnt have gone this far with his complaint, and B...Incognito would have already produced the evidence to prove it was a mutual joke.

The Incognito camp is saying they do have mutual evidence. He might not want to release it until he absolutely has to.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-08-2013, 05:26 PM
All I can say is that the Broncos seem to be pretty light hearted when it comes to rookie hazing. Nothing seems over the top....I just think we are a little more proffessional then most organization in that aspect.

Pay for a team meal should be a one time thing for the rookies and in fact the low picks or undrafted guys should only have to split it between them. Just makes sense if you are being fair.

But our hazing seems to be things like haircuts or meals or carrying pads or something. We get some fights here and there during training camps but nothing really over the top. Could you imagine Peyton Manning walking into a locker room if someone was getting bullied? He would probably give them the stare of death. haha

The undrafted guys and low draft picks shoudn't be paying for anything more than a happy meal or a bucket of chicken....mmm chicken sounds good. :D

DenBronx
11-08-2013, 05:27 PM
The undrafted guys and low draft picks shoudn't be paying for anything more than a happy meal or a bucket of chicken....mmm chicken sounds good. :D

bucket of chicken? is that a racist remark?

weazel
11-08-2013, 05:27 PM

great read, thanks