PDA

View Full Version : Jack Del Rio Named Interim Head Coach: What does it mean for the Broncos?

BSN Denver
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
One second you’re the head coach of one of the most dominant teams in pro football, the next second you become light-headed on a golf course in Charlotte and are awaiting surgery, keeping you out for the next several weeks.

Unfortunately for Coach Fox, the season must go on. And as much as it probably pains him that he has to take a leave of absence during what might end up being the most magical season that he has ever been a part of, he has no choice. This is a matter of health, and considering his mid-season absence, probably a matter of life or death. Let’s face it, a guy who has done nothing but play or coach football his entire adult life wouldn’t step away unless the reason was grave.

When it was announced that he would undergo surgery and miss a significant period of time, talk of his replacement became the main subject amongst the fans and media that embody Broncos country.

Because Eric Studesville had served as an interim head coach for the organization in 2010, after Josh McDaniel’s was fired, some thought that he would be a natural fit to take on the same role this season. Others looked at the obvious connection between current defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio and coach Fox and assumed that Del Rio would be the choice. Considering Del Rio’s success as a head coach in the past, the decision appeared to be easy one.

During the teams Monday morning meeting at Dove Valley, the players and staff were informed that defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio would fill the role of head coach until John Fox is able to come back.

The exact time table of Fox’s recovery is unknown at this time. There has been a flurry of reports from many highly credentialed media members that suggest Fox could miss anywhere from two to eight weeks but nobody has locked down a solid time period, nor is it possible to in a situation like this.

The latest report from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport suggests that it will take four weeks from his actual surgery for Fox to recover. If that is indeed the case, Fox would probably be back in time to help his team prepare for their Thursday night matchup against San Diego on December 12th.

HOW WILL THIS AFFECT THE BRONCOS?

At this point, I think the assumption around Broncos country is that the team won’t skip a beat. Without knowing it, that assumption means that John Fox is an ........................

CONTINUE READING HERE (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=jack-del-rio-replaces-john)

BroncoNut
11-04-2013, 10:19 AM
wow, just catching wind of this right now. I didn't watch much football yesterday. that sucks for John and the fans too. I dont' think we get past San Diego now moreso than ever. but it will be alright

mobgod
11-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I think this could be bad but we will see.

CoachChaz
11-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I dont see the team skipping a beat. In fact, it could even be additional motivation for the team in the way it was for Indy last year with Pagano and his cancer treatment. Gase and Manning will continue to call the offense and JDR can still focus on defense. It's not like the defense can really play all that much worse anyway.

Lancane
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Good Luck Jack, you'll need it with this fickle fan base!

And I agree with Coach, the Broncos shouldn't miss a beat and really, little if any blame for what happens over the course of the next few weeks or so will be laid upon the feet of Del Rio, the team is set up to go on without Fox.

I hope John Fox a healthy and speedy recovery. In the same sense, I am not really all that surprised because the stress level of the position itself not to mention his age, he is the fifth oldest Head Coach in the NFL behind Coughlin, Carroll, Belichick and Shanahan.

Northman
11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I dont think this will be a problem at all. I would be more concerned if Studsville was the one taking over. Del Rio has been there, he knows the drill and Manning is used to running offenses anyway.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM
from article:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Jack Del Rio spent much of his nine previous seasons an NFL head coach trying to find ways to beat a Peyton Manning-led team. That alone makes the challenge he'll face as the Broncos' interim head coach altogether different from his years prowling the Jacksonville Jaguars' sideline.

But the biggest difference is in the team he inherits, and how long he'll handle its reins while John Fox recuperates from his upcoming surgery to replace an aortic valve. Instead of nursing a club through takeoff and ascendance, as he did in reviving the Jaguars, he simply slides over from the co-pilot's seat to a team that has been at cruising altitude for well over a year, having won 18 of its last 19 regular-season games.

Del Rio is uniquely qualified for this role, relative to most of the hundreds of coaches currently active in the league. There are only 10 other men currently on NFL coaching staffs who have more head-coaching experience than he does — a group that includes the man he'll spell for the next several weeks. He guided the Jaguars through a rebuilding process to a pair of playoff appearances in 2005 and 2007, and that club has not been anywhere near as competitive since it dismissed him in 2011 as it was during his eight-plus seasons there, making Del Rio's stint look better and better as time passes.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Del-Rio-a-Uniquely-Prepared-Next-Man-Up/8f06841f-4fea-4eb

In a thread discussion as to who should be the interim coach, someone stated they did not want Del Rio, as they felt Del Rio was responsible for what is happening in Jacksonville now. The above definitely paints anything but that.

Rick
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
At this point...Del Rio will not have the authority to "cut" anyone, he is taking over the reins for possibly a few weeks, maybe a little longer.

I am not worried about his ability to build a team as the interim HC.

Now if Fox for some reason can't come back, his team building abilities should be evaluated along with any other prospective candidate, but not as an interim.

Lancane
11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I was that person. I never said I didn't want JDR either. You may have inferred that but that would be an error on your part. I simply said I wanted Gase or Studesville before JDR and that he wasn't the lock everyone believed and for the reasons they believed. Clearly there were some discussions had as they didn't instantly name him interim.

He was pretty much the favorite from the get go, they also had to re-work his contract and wanted the input of the team captains, all in all it was a pretty quick decision and was pretty much settled from the get go.

Also, what did they do after going 11-5 in 07? :confused: Never have a winning or above .500 season. Vito Stellino who has covered the Jags for a long time in an interview with Al and DMAC went out of his way to blast Del Rio. He called him the worst coach, worse than McD. The Post took a wide angle view of J'Ville. His tenure isn't similar to Fox's where they pulled the rug out from under him and saddled him with players he didn't want. That team is where they are due in part to JDR and due in part to the sale and botching every move since his dismissal.

Stellino is also in the pocket of the Jacksonville Organization, so he is a biased jack*** who plays to the beat of the organization, according to many of those I've spoken with who are fans of the Jaguars there are many who still love Del Rio and think highly of him. Jhil, if you want to make a compelling argument, don't use someone's opinion who is actually being paid by the organization in question. Most heads around the NFL believe he is the right choice, that speaks volumes over Vito Stellino's drivel. And Jack Del Rio did not nor did he ever have full control over the front office, he had a fair share of influential control but Wayne Weaver made most of the front office and personnel decisions along with Del Rio, then in 2009 Gene Smith was hired to oversee the General Manager duties and had full control above Del Rio. Not to mention that Steve Shafer, Mike Tice, Dave Campo, Dirk Koetter, Mike Shula, Bill Musgrave and Mike Smith were all assistant coaches under JDR, if he was that craptastic then I am pretty sure those coaches wouldn't have had the opportunities that they did have going forward.

As for records, you better go look at Fox's W-L record in Carolina, he only had three seasons with above .500 record, same with Del Rio in Jacksonville and all three before they hired Gene Smith as the GM.

Listen to many of his former players. They don't like the guy. He cut a starting QB twice at the start of the season. Any of the candidates the Broncos chose would have positives and negatives with them being selected-that includes Del Rio.

So, Terrance Knighton decided to sign with the Broncos because he didn't like the guy. I guess the Broncos' team captains who are alright with this are bad and making choices about character as well? Seems to me the only players I've heard complain are those who can not seem to cut it elsewhere in the league or have become nothing more then journeyman back-ups.

Dzone
11-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Chargers game is going to be tough

powderaddict
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I like JDR, He'll do fine.

Chargers game IS going to be rough. For charger fans anyways.

G_Money
11-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I was enjoying the story about how some of Pagano's former players hated him, saying he mocked them in practice, wouldn't treat them like men, etc. He grew up. It's possible Del Rio has as well. The biggest problem I heard with Del Rio (from multiple people) was that he was a lazy SOB who didn't want to put in head coaching hours. He doesn't seem to mind putting in coordinator hours, though, and Del Rio's players seem to like him just fine on our defense. Willing probably helps, but it's possible for someone to be in a toxic environment and live down to that environment. Works for coaches as well as players.

I figured Jack would be gone after this season to USC, but it's always possible that Fox comes back late this year then retires after we win it all (or can't come back at all), and Jack takes over the Broncos. This'll be an interesting trial run for that kind of scenario.

~G

slim
11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I wonder how Beef feels about this?

BroncoWave
11-04-2013, 03:45 PM
If Fox, Elway, and our team captains are all fine with JDR being the HC, I fail to see why any Broncos fan would have a problem with it. :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 03:54 PM
However, Broncos defensive players say they like Del Rio's no-nonsense, straightforward approach as well as that he had a long career as a player. Del Rio played 11 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints. He also has used so many personnel groupings that the prospect of playing time has kept players engaged.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925184/denver-broncos-tab-jack-del-rio-interim-coach

GEM
11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925184/denver-broncos-tab-jack-del-rio-interim-coach

Awwww poor guys...that dick Del Rio don't put up with their egos. How terrible of him!

:laugh:

CoachChaz
11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
We've had so many DC's over the last decade, it wouldnt suprise me if half the team didnt realize who their coordinator was from week to week.

DenBronx
11-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Del Rio should be assistant HC anyway.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM
If Fox, Elway, and our team captains are all fine with JDR being the HC, I fail to see why any Broncos fan would have a problem with it. :confused:

Totally agree.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 33m

Listening to a doctor representing the group who handled Fox's surgery. He says it's impossible to determine the recovery time. 4-12 weeks.

TXBRONC
11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
It's good to have a guy like Del Rio around and like Chaz I think the Broncos will be just fine.

NightTrainLayne
11-04-2013, 08:03 PM
I wonder how Beef feels about this?

I know.

Lancane
11-05-2013, 12:45 AM
This is typical of the Klis/Kiszla/Williamson (when he was here) love hate relationship. They write something good about the Broncos and they are great. They are critical and they are know nothing hacks. Are those guys in the pocket of the organization? Or only when it supports an argument?

Difference is, is find someone not affiliated with the organization that is badmouthing him? How about a sportswriter from Newsweek, CNN, or from a respectable news network, etc. The only time I credit one of those columnists is when they are breaking news within the organization or write a descent column worth reading. What Stellino did was the most direspectful thing someone can do, he went on a rant about a former coach that still had some backing by the fans, even local writers and sports writers alike had more respect for McDaniels when he was fired – saying he'll be a coordinator come next year, blah, blah, blah.

:lol: That is rich coming immediately after you trying to sell me on the idea that you talk to fans of the Jaguars and there being some who still "love Del Rio and think highly of him." Newsflash, there are people who still like McDaniels and think highly of him and that he should get some credit for this team's current success because of guys like DT and Decker being on the roster.

Now you're trying to compare McDaniels to Del Rio? Really? Um, this is so illogical it's funny. Even though they're winning there are numerous Pats fans that want his ass fired. McDaniels is one of the mosted hated individuals in the NFL, period. But believe what you want,

:lol:Really? :confused: Who outside of the Broncos has weighed in on this move?

It's only been discussed by about every major sports media outlet from NFLN to Fox Sports, who I am sure you'd consider their viewpoints as weighing in on, or at least most of us do.

:I never argued he had GM control of the team. I simply made the point that Del Rio on several occasions cut or moved guys at the worst time possible-not just QB's. Several jags fans, maybe some of your friends, will tell you that. ;) Also, JDR was the longest tenured coach (9years) without winning the division. He scapegoated players and he scapegoated Coordinators.

He cut or moved people that were so astounding that their average career was their stint in Jacksonville. As for those who I know that are Jags fans, they all pretty much have told me that the owner tied Del Rio's hands then Gene Smith cut his hands off. Before Gene Smith at least they won some, after they could barely win ****. By the way, didn't McDaniels, Shanahan, Reid and almost every other Head Coach in this league, including Dan Reeves use the scapegoating card now and then?

But hey that is some scrub in Taylor saying that.

Well then according to this train of thought, Fox and Elway are so blindly inept that the hired the ***hole and then agreed to make him the interim along with the team captains! And we are talking about the same Fred Taylor that Del Rio called out for skipping team meetings and refused to study film? No, he wouldn't have a grudge for any reason. I also remember Simms saying much the same about Parcells whereas the coach's no-nonsense approach was liked elsewere and was liked by many others, the same with Terry Bradshaw about Noll. Hell, Haynesworth just talked a lot of trash about Shanahan the other day, so I guess he was right as well.

No need to look. John Fox actually won his division and took a team to the Super Bowl. My point wasn't about records. It was about the fallacy in pretending that Del Rio's scenario at the end of his tenure in J'Ville was the same as Fox's in Carolina. They weren't then and aren't now. Fox was completely silenced and handcuffed whereas Del Rio was given a 5 year extension in error and allowed to see almost all of it out his way.

They were both fired, by owners not willing to shoulder any of the blame...that's comparable enough, but spin it how ever you like. In Del Rio's first six seasons without Gene Smith he was 50-46 the three after Gene Smith was hired, 20-28. In comparison, John Fox in his first six years had a record of 51-45, that is near identical. Fox's final three years he was 22-26 which is still comparable, the only difference is that Fox won more divisional games and in the playoffs where Del Rio struggled at times, but the same could be said for Peyton Manning in comparison to Tom Brady, but I'd still take Manning, cause not everyone can have a Tom Brady, then again not everyone finds themselves in the best situations either for various reasons.

Ummm....you're kidding...righ? :confused: Terrance Knighton is here because he didn't have a shot in J'Ville. Also, the same Terrance Knighton who only looks to be ok at best with the writing on the wall being the "journeyman back up" you referenced. Again, I guess Fred Taylor and his 11,271 yards are just "journeyman back up status."

Yeah because I'd want to go play for an ***hole I dislike so much because of my issues with my former team, instead of signing on somewhere else for a completely fresh start – that makes complete and utter sense.

Oh and there is Hugh Douglas who played for Del Rio in 2003 who is on record saying the guy should be punched in the face. But we wont put too much stock into that because Douglas is a maniac who has or wants to punch a lot of people in the face.

Um, as I expressed above, there are times when coaches are just disliked by certain players or have certain issues with them, it's not uncommon, we just find that those who refrain from expressing their poisonous views have more class.

DenBronx
11-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 33m

Listening to a doctor representing the group who handled Fox's surgery. He says it's impossible to determine the recovery time. 4-12 weeks.

Some in here are suggesting he will be on a plane or riding a bike the next day. lol

I am more pessimistic about a surgery like this, especially since my dad went through it. 12 weeks sounds more realistic. My dads was an emergency surgery which could be way more severe, he actually died and they revived him. He has been on blood thinners and other medications since he was in his mid 30s. He will get terrible nerve reactions in his chest which are very painfull. He was also told by doctors to not lift over 40 pounds. I really feel bad for anyone who goes through this...

Even if Fox could be back in 3-4 weeks, I don't think he should rush it. He needs to take care of his health before anything and we have a very capable interm HC until he heals up.

sneakers
11-05-2013, 07:25 AM
It probably means better coach's challenges.

Captain Speardog
11-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Chargers game is going to be tough

Listen to your Captain, Denver will score over 40 points and S.D. won't be able to compete. 45-24 Denver beat-down of SD is a warning to K.C. of what is going to happen Sunday night.

Apollo
11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I've always like Jack Del Rio to be honest. He got the Jaguars, a team that I thought talent wise were average at best, to punch well above their weight in his reign. We know he's got a good defensive head on him, now with some offensive talent around him he might really make things work.

Captain Speardog
11-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I've always like Jack Del Rio to be honest. He got the Jaguars, a team that I thought talent wise were average at best, to punch well above their weight in his reign. We know he's got a good defensive head on him, now with some offensive talent around him he might really make things work.

He had some good teams but like the Texans they were in the same division as Manning and they could not ever get above a wild card.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2013, 11:57 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In other locker rooms, with other sets of players, led by other coaches, perhaps a team would not be prepared to weather the loss of its head coach. But these Broncos, by virtue of their experience, leadership and performance to date, are as well-equipped as possible to cope with the absence of head coach John Fox for the next several weeks.

Having an experienced hand like Jack Del Rio's at the helm on an interim basis doesn't hurt, either. Defensive tackle Terrance Knighton knows this better than any other Bronco, having played for Del Rio in Jacksonville, and he doesn't expect anything to change.

"Nothing at all. Nothing at all," said Knighton. "(Del Rio) is going to accept the role. He's not going to step in and try to replace (Fox). He's going to keep the same message going, and it will be echoed through the coaching staff and the leaders on the team."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/What-Will-Change-Nothing-At-All/ae2cdac6-0596-4b07-8460-fd1251f55559

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Del Rio kept Coach Fox's weekly phone interview with Pat Kirwin, and Jim Miller on Sirius/XM NFL yesterday afternoon.

Nothing earth-shattering. Del Rio had the following to say:

-- He's worked with Fox quite a bit, and understands how he wants to run things. There won't be much changes visible to us or the players.

-- He won't turn his back on the field when the defense comes off. Other position coaches will have to pick up the slack in coaching and making adjustments on the sideline while the offense is on the field.

-- He will continue to call the defense as he has.

-- We have great team leadership, and our veterans are going to help pick up and keep everyone working hard.

-- Rivers is playing as well as he has in several years. S.D. will be a good test for the team.

It seemed like a shorter than normal interview, and like I said, nothing really new got covered.

It will still be some time before we know a timetable for Fox's return, and even a few days before the team might even be able to consider a phone conversation from Fox giving guidance. I.E., at least for this week, Del Rio is pretty much on his own. Maybe in later weeks, Fox can at least give some guidance via phone etc.

powderaddict
11-13-2013, 03:26 PM
So what do you all think? How did it turn out?

I think they did well, and to win on the road against the DB chargers was pretty awesome.