PDA

View Full Version : Jack Del Rio expected to replace John Fox as Broncos coach, new Elway hire

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
John Elway is in the process of making his second coaching hire.

His first turned out pretty well as John Fox has led the Broncos to a 28-12 record in 2 ½ seasons before he was forced to take a leave absence because of heart valve replacement surgery that will be conducted either Monday or Tuesday.

Fox also led the Broncos to the Elite Eight of the NFL playoffs in his first two full seasons.

Jack Del Rio, currently the Broncos' defensive coordinator, is expected to take over for Fox, based on his experience running a team. Del Rio has previous head coaching experience while Fox's other two coordinators, Adam Gase and Jeff Rodgers, do not.

Read more: Jack Del Rio expected to replace John Fox as Broncos coach, new Elway hire - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24446360/jack-del-rio-expected-replace-john-fox-broncos#ixzz2jdRJEPXp
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I think Fox is going to be out longer than expected. Maybe the playoffs....but if things don't go as planned it could be longer.

Hopefully Fox returns to full form but if not, Del Rio makes the most sense as a HC.

BroncoWave
11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Good move. With his experience as a HC the team shouldn't miss a beat. He can still focus on the defense as I doubt Fox was doing much involving the offense in the first place.

WTE
11-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Where's his axe?

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Where's his axe?

Thoroughly buried in Tom Brady's skull.

SR
11-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I think Fox is going to be out longer than expected. Maybe the playoffs....but if things don't go as planned it could be longer. Hopefully Fox returns to full form but if not, Del Rio makes the most sense as a HC.

My mother in law had her aorta replaced in early March 2011 and three weeks later when my son was born she was on a plane up here. She wasn't in tip top shape but she was okay. I bet Fox is back for the playoffs.

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 09:46 PM
My mother in law had her aorta replaced in early March 2011 and three weeks later when my son was born she was on a plane up here. She wasn't in tip top shape but she was okay. I bet Fox is back for the playoffs.

My dad had this exact same surgery. He was down almost a year. A helicopter had to rush him to the hospital and he has a scar from the top of his chest all the way to his stomach. His might have been more severe because his aorta actually burst and Fox is preplanned.

But he said everyone will react to this surgery differantly.

The Denver Post is suggesting he will be out until the playoffs.

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Gary Kubiak just collapsed on the field.

chazoe60
11-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Where's his axe?

In the same cost where BB's video camera is.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Gary Kubiak just collapsed on the field.

At this rate Moms aren't going to let their kids coach football anymore.

SR
11-03-2013, 10:38 PM
My dad had this exact same surgery. He was down almost a year. A helicopter had to rush him to the hospital and he has a scar from the top of his chest all the way to his stomach. His might have been more severe because his aorta actually burst and Fox is preplanned. But he said everyone will react to this surgery differantly. The Denver Post is suggesting he will be out until the playoffs.

Three weeks prior to my MIL's aorta replacement she had a kidney removed because of a cancerous tumor on it. It wasn't "pre-planned" so much as it was "do this or you'll die soon". Fox will ok in 5-7 weeks barring any complications.

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Three weeks prior to my MIL's aorta replacement she had a kidney removed because of a cancerous tumor on it. It wasn't "pre-planned" so much as it was "do this or you'll die soon". Fox will ok in 5-7 weeks barring any complications.

I hope so. He's a damn good coach and we need him.

TXBRONC
11-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Where's his axe?

Classless.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m

Jack Del Rio is interim head coach and will keep duties as defensive coordinator

GEM
11-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, if Del Rio weren't looking at a head coach position in his near future, if he does this well, we'll probably lose him to another team next season.

:(

I thought he would have probably been here one year, but didn't see a whole lot of interest in him before this season, got to keep him an extra season, but for a team like the Bucs, this could push him to the forefront on getting another job.

Broncolingus
11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
First, prayers and speedy recovery wishes to Coach Fox...nothing more important than that.

...now, I (sincerely) don't mean to sound harsh or like a dick, but I don't really think this should impact things too much...

Del Rio should be able to handle things fine with the defense, and Gase/Manning I think have been pretty much running the offense without much input from the HC, so...

We all absolutely want to see Fox back and healthy and on the sidelines, but I don't see how this should be that much of an issue for a few games...

...of course, maybe I underestimate Fox's ability to be a motivator.

JMO...

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
from article:

The Broncos have reached an agreement in principal with Jack Del Rio to serve as their interim head coach until John Fox recovers from heart surgery.

"I think in a hard situation like this, you motivate yourself," said Broncos receiver Eric Decker. "What (coach Fox) meant to all of us in that building, there's going to be a lot of guys fired up to go about our business as professionals. We have good leadership among the coordinators and in the locker room as far as players. I'm not too concerned about the leap we have to make without him."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24449668/jack-del-rio-appointed-broncos-coach-while-john

underrated29
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM
This could be a good thing for us though, slightly.

I believe we have to rework del rios contact. Hopefully we can add in a few years extension as our dc since he can walk after this season. I do not want him leaving our defense. So hopefully when they re do his current deal to include some interim head coach stuff we just tack on a few more years as dc too.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
This could be a good thing for us though, slightly.

I believe we have to rework del rios contact. Hopefully we can add in a few years extension as our dc since he can walk after this season. I do not want him leaving our defense. So hopefully when they re do his current deal to include some interim head coach stuff we just tack on a few more years as dc too.

His contract had to be done before they could announce him being the interim head coach

Broncolingus
11-04-2013, 11:22 AM
His contract had to be done before they could announce him being the interim head coach

...and that's two-snaps and an around-the-world!!! :D

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/40800/men-on-film-in-living-color-o.gif

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2013, 11:41 AM
In a thread, someone posted that players do not like Del Rio.

from article:

However, Broncos defensive players say they like Del Rio's no-nonsense, straightforward approach as well as that he had a long career as a player. Del Rio played 11 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints. He also has used so many personnel groupings that the prospect of playing time has kept players engaged.

"We've shown them, if you give us something that helps us win, we'll find a spot for you," Del Rio has said. "But they have to do their part, too. They've got to come to work, be a good teammate, be prepared and know their responsibilities."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925184/denver-broncos-tab-jack-del-rio-interim-coach

Northman
11-04-2013, 12:27 PM
This could prove to be a blessing really. Jack has never had a QB of Manning's calibur while HC.

Broncolingus
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
This could prove to be a blessing really. Jack has never had a QB of Manning's calibur while HC.

...gonna have to correct your post, there North...

Jack had BOTH Todd Bouman and Trent Edwards...at the same time!!!

Those guys are epic studs and they still couldn't win...

...Jack blew it :tsk:

Northman
11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
...gonna have to correct your post, there North...

Jack had BOTH Todd Bouman and Trent Edwards...at the same time!!!

Those guys are epic studs and they still couldn't win...

...Jack blew it :tsk:

Oh yea, i forgot about those HOF's.

underrated29
11-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Right, so as I said, hopefully maybe, when the reworked his contract they could have added a few years to him being out DC....Since they are already on the contract subject.

TXBRONC
11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Right, so as I said, hopefully maybe, when the reworked his contract they could have added a few years to him being out DC....Since they are already on the contract subject.

I bet they couldn't because that sounds like two different contracts. Even if they were able to and did I don't hink Elway or Fox would try to prevent him from taking a position as a head coach if offered.

underrated29
11-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I bet they couldn't because that sounds like two different contracts. Even if they were able to and did I don't hink Elway or Fox would try to prevent him from taking a position as a head coach if offered.

I don't think they would either. Technically by rules they cannot prohibit him from taking a HC job. I'm not worried about him leaving for a HC promotion. I'm more concerned that some team will want him as a fa and give him a bigger better deal leaving us in search again.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't think they would either. Technically by rules they cannot prohibit him from taking a HC job. I'm not worried about him leaving for a HC promotion. I'm more concerned that some team will want him as a fa and give him a bigger better deal leaving us in search again.

If they name him "assistant HC"...then that job label can keep him from taking another HC Job without getting permission from the Broncos, first.

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2013, 12:00 PM
If they name him "assistant HC"...then that job label can keep him from taking another HC Job without getting permission from the Broncos, first.

It could, but it won't. The Broncos aren't going to hold Del Rio hostage with his title. If he has an opportunity to go be a HC somewhere else, and wants to, the Broncos aren't going to stand in his way.

TXBRONC
11-06-2013, 01:25 PM

If and when Del Rio leaves it will be for a head coaching position.

Dreadnought
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
First, prayers and speedy recovery wishes to Coach Fox...nothing more important than that.

...now, I (sincerely) don't mean to sound harsh or like a dick, but I don't really think this should impact things too much...

Del Rio should be able to handle things fine with the defense, and Gase/Manning I think have been pretty much running the offense without much input from the HC, so...

We all absolutely want to see Fox back and healthy and on the sidelines, but I don't see how this should be that much of an issue for a few games...

...of course, maybe I underestimate Fox's ability to be a motivator.

JMO...

I agree, and honestly, I think its a testament to the quality of the adult leadership we have on this team top to bottom. Elway and Fox have built a working operation that is not dependent upon any one guy ( not named Peyton Manning)

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I agree, and honestly, I think its a testament to the quality of the adult leadership we have on this team top to bottom. Elway and Fox have built a working operation that is not dependent upon any one guy ( not named Peyton Manning)

Now you've done it. :Jinx: