PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos without John Fox

MOtorboat
11-02-2013, 10:58 PM
OK. It appears as if John Fox is sidelined for a little while.

He's pretty well known for being a delegator of responsibilities and allowing his offensive and defensive coordinators to handle the day to day operations of the team and playcalling on Sundays.

I don't want to make light of a medical situation, but where does this put the team. I'll be interested to see who actually fills in as interim. It might be Studesville.

Army Bronco
11-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I think it will be JDR due to his experience. I don't know what other adversity we could have. If we win the SB this year it would be amazing considering all the team overcame.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2013, 11:07 PM
My thought would be DelRio, as he has had experience as a HC. I think the team will be OK, and I believe they will now want to win for Coach Fox.

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Probably either Studesville or Del Rio.

I'd vote Studesville, and let Del Rio continue concentrating on bringing that defense together.

I fear how this May impact us as we enter the most difficult part of our schedule. However, I'm glad coach Fox is getting fixed up. Sounds like he may have been putting this off until the offseason, and it can't wait that long.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m

John Fox will have heart surgery Monday or Tuesday. He will be out minimum of 2 weeks, up to 2 months. Jack Del Rio likely interim.

Lancane
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
We still really don't know much of anything, this could simply be a gastrological or a number of other concerns. If it's nothing more then stress elevated issues then Coach Fox will likely be back sooner rather then later. Now, if it is a long-term absence then I could see Del Rio being a temporary interim because of his experience alone.

Lancane
11-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m

John Fox will have heart surgery Monday or Tuesday. He will be out minimum of 2 weeks, up to 2 months. Jack Del Rio likely interim.

You posted this as I was typing my post... Damn, damn, damn - I hope he'll be alright.

Pudge
11-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I hope John fox is okay, and I feel bad for saying this but at least it's a bye week

Army Bronco
11-02-2013, 11:53 PM
I hope John fox is okay, and I feel bad for saying this but at least it's a bye weekShouldn't feel bad. It also helps Fox because it takes the stress away for a little while. You know if there was a game he would stress big time.

Dzone
11-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Gase or studesville before Del Rio.
Yes, let JDR keep running the D.
Gase could end up being a head coach next year if this offense sets every NFL offensive record and wins a super bowl. This could be his audition.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Gase could end up being a head coach next year if this offense sets every NFL offensive record and wins a super bowl. This could be his audition.

What better reason is there to make it Studesville than this?

dogfish
11-03-2013, 01:29 AM

may as well just beg jack to leave in the off-season if you're gonna smack him in the face publicly. . .

Timmy!
11-03-2013, 02:12 AM
I don't see how its not JDR. The guy was a head coach for almost a decade, and has been to the playoffs. I'm sure he can still handle the defense.

dogfish
11-03-2013, 02:15 AM
I don't see how its not JDR.

i don't either. . .

Jaws
11-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Get well soon John Fox

DenBronx
11-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Wow, more serious then orignally thought.

Its got to be JDR as the interm though, I dont see how it isnt.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 08:07 AM
It's gotta be JBC. :coffee:

TXBRONC
11-03-2013, 08:26 AM

No I would rather have the more experienced man running the team.

Northman
11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I think it will be JDR due to his experience. I don't know what other adversity we could have. If we win the SB this year it would be amazing considering all the team overcame.

Probably the most logical and wisest choice. JDR can actually allow Manning to take 85% command of the offense while JDR continues to watch over the defensive stuff till Fox gets back.

Northman
11-03-2013, 08:38 AM
may as well just beg jack to leave in the off-season if you're gonna smack him in the face publicly. . .

Lmao, no shit. :lol:

elsid13
11-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm voting player/coach and going with Manning.

BroncoJoe
11-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Elway will take over so Gase and JDR can focus on their responsibilities.

:)

VonDoom
11-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Next man up.

Too soon?

On a personal level, obviously I'm worried about Fox. No heart surgery is ever simple, so hopefully it all goes well and he recovers fully and quickly.

On a football level, though, I'm curious as to how this plays out. Whoever takes over the HC duties should know the plan and hopefully just roll right along. It's too bad it happened before this stretch of games, because these will all be difficult. I wonder if the team rallies around their coach in a "win one for the Gipper" kind of way. This season certainly hasn't been boring, that's for sure.

SR
11-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Explain that logic.

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Than you smack him in the face. He is gone sooner than later. He still may be in the mix at USC which has grown eerily quiet. It was all but a smack in the face to the Broncos. Look how fast they made Matt Russell deny the CU AD rumor last year. Del Rio didn't shut down the USC rumors as fast.

You'd rather smack him in the face than have the best man possible for the job? With all due respect to Gase, he's figuring out how to run an offense, let alone an entire team. JDR is a good head coach IMO, and I think you're seeing that with what's happening in Jacksonville now. I don't see how him becoming an interim coach in the meantime means our defense will have to suffer. Studs could interim as well, but I'd be more comfortable with Del Rio with experience.

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Than you smack him in the face. He is gone sooner than later. He still may be in the mix at USC which has grown eerily quiet. It was all but a smack in the face to the Broncos. Look how fast they made Matt Russell deny the CU AD rumor last year. Del Rio didn't shut down the USC rumors as fast.

So, because he might take the USC job in January/February, you don't allow him to be interim? And this isn't a situation where Fox isn't coming back, so I'm not even sure how that logic works.

A reminder: Del Rio is the longest tenured defensive coordinator in Denver since Larry Coyer. I think a little loyalty to him wouldn't be a bad idea.

(Although I'd be fine with Studesville being the defacto HC, and let Gase and Del Rio continue as is.)

Nomad
11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I trust Elway will put the best man for the job until Fox gets back.

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
That's a LOT of speculation about the USC job.

Screw making him the interim...fire his ass...

elsid13
11-03-2013, 12:40 PM
That's a LOT of speculation about the USC job.

Screw making him the interim...fire his ass...

Clay feed you magic mushrooms again???

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Clay feed you magic mushrooms again???

He never shared.

:(

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It is a lot of speculation. He has been asked about it several times and could easily address it. He refuses to even address it. Even the dallas media was asking him about it. Finally, why allow the disparate treatment of individuals in the organization? :confused: They made Matt Russell address the CU job instantly last year after it leaked he was interested. Why is Del Rio afforded something different?

We have no idea what he's told Elway and Fox.

And according to the athletic director (Pat Haden), he hasn't even been contacted for the job, so what is there to comment on?

Lancane
11-03-2013, 12:54 PM
It is a lot of speculation. He has been asked about it several times and could easily address it. He refuses to even address it. Even the dallas media was asking him about it. Finally, why allow the disparate treatment of individuals in the organization? :confused: They made Matt Russell address the CU job instantly last year after it leaked he was interested. Why is Del Rio afforded something different?

Because, he is still the top candidate for the position. Denver has not been reserved about letting assistants go there own way. Over the course of the past few years Denver has had coordinators go on to be head coaches, even within their own division...which is questionable, but I am sure that the reason they don't collar Del Rio is to not have him alienate himself from the market, after all, he can not even interview until a bye week in the playoffs or the end of the season. And I am sure he is just as interested, but to come out and say it would be a distraction for the team on several fronts not to mention could get him in trouble with the league office. And so what if he goes to USC?

Army Bronco
11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Despite all the banter and speculation about who is replacing the HC, Fox is having heart surgery. I hope everything goes well for him and as our teams coach that he has a speedy but full recovery. Go Fox!!

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Because, he is still the top candidate for the position. Denver has not been reserved about letting assistants go there own way. Over the course of the past few years Denver has had coordinators go on to be head coaches, even within their own division...which is questionable, but I am sure that the reason they don't collar Del Rio is to not have him alienate himself from the market, after all, he can not even interview until a bye week in the playoffs or the end of the season. And I am sure he is just as interested, but to come out and say it would be a distraction for the team on several fronts not to mention could get him in trouble with the league office. And so what if he goes to USC?

I agree, except I don't think the NFL interview rules apply to colleges trying to interview NFL coaches.

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Fair enough. But it is still no different than the CU/Russell story. A story that the Broncos felt should be addressed publicly.

All of that aside, because it is the most minute in my opinion, this team shouldn't be worried about hurting a coaches feelings. A coach whose time here is shorted. Again, many of us feared he would be a one and done DC after last year.

Truthfully, I want the guy the players want to play for. If that turns out to be Del Rio then fine. But judging by the exchange on the sidelines between Bailey and Del Rio not too long ago-I don't think it is Del Rio. That was one of the things he was blasted for in Jax. His relationship with the players and locker room. Did he do some nice stuff there? Yes. But in the end, the Jags are who they are today due in LARGE part to JDR. Weaver never should have given him that 5 year extension.

Russell didn't want that job, and it was the offseason.

And let me ask you this, do you think Indianapolis regretted making Bruce Arians their interim last year?

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 01:05 PM
JDR could easily issue some kind of statement. The fact he hasn't has become a distraction. He was asked multiple times by multiple media members of during the conference calls leading up to games.

"There isn't anything to say," Del Rio, a former All-American linebacker at USC, said after the Broncos-Philadelphia Eagles game Sunday. "It's all speculation at this point. I've got a job to do here. My focus is right there."

That was over a month ago...and I haven't heard a word about it since, until you brought it up in this thread, so I'm not sure what distraction you're talking about.

Lancane
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Fair enough. But it is still no different than the CU/Russell story. A story that the Broncos felt should be addressed publicly.

All of that aside, because it is the most minute in my opinion, this team shouldn't be worried about hurting a coaches feelings. A coach whose time here is shorted. Again, many of us feared he would be a one and done DC after last year.

Truthfully, I want the guy the players want to play for. If that turns out to be Del Rio then fine. But judging by the exchange on the sidelines between Bailey and Del Rio not too long ago-I don't think it is Del Rio. That was one of the things he was blasted for in Jax. His relationship with the players and locker room. Did he do some nice stuff there? Yes. But in the end, the Jags are who they are today due in LARGE part to JDR. Weaver never should have given him that 5 year extension.

Jhil, man... Bailey has looked like **** on the field, he didn't have one defended pass against Indy and has left receivers with far too much space to make plays, I would have been in his face as well. He's a bit old school and I respect that, a lot in this day and age of whinny ass football players. It's not like he's going to take over operations, he'll run the defense while Gase runs the offense, and Elway is not going anywhere and I am sure that the boss won't let crap fly that he feel is unjust. As for his past, who cares? Shanahan lost the Raiders locker room and the respect of the Al Davis, he became a hell of a head coach the second and third time around.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 02:16 PM
They need to hurry up and name JBC as interim so this argument can end.

MOtorboat
11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Remember that $$$ is going to be an issue, too. The Broncos will have to work a new contract with the Interim.

Why is money an issue?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

John Elway about to make his second head coaching hire. Jack Del Rio the favorite. Little known fact: New contract must be worked out.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Hmm. I wonder if that's why Studesville was given the job before. :whoknows:

mouthofsouth
11-03-2013, 02:43 PM
As a woman, if I were the wife of a football coach who had heart problems, I would really worry. When you have a problem with your aorta, you do not say, "I will wait until the end of the season to have surgery." Coaching football is too stressful and a ruptured aorta can kill you in a few minutes, if not seconds. Fox is blessed that he was on his way to see his doctor when he suffered his spell, because it forces him to have his surgery NOW and not put it off. The team will be fine, and now they have an added incentive to "win for the Coach." Let us all pray for Coach Fox, for a speedy and complete recovery.

Lancane
11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I guess you are more comfortable with that than I am. JDR has long been known as a guy his players don't care for. Again, part of why Jax is where they are and how they finished out with him. Also, if he was the lock you think he is, I think Elway would have named him instantly. The fact they haven't leads me to believe there is some discussion taking place.

Of course I'm comfortable with that, sorry Jhil but when I coached, I did so the way I knew was most effective and as I was coached myself. Which was up in your face, some call it a drill instructors mentality but it is and will always be more effective then the more sentimental - get in touch with your feelings crap. Yes, they're grown men, but a lot of players are juvenile in nature because of the modernization of the position, million dollar adolescents who feel that the rules and even at times that the laws don't apply to them simply because they can play a game. If anything the league needs more such coaches, because the annual statistics of player misconduct have risen steadily with the new policies and coaching staffs.

And just because Elway hasn't named an interim yet, doesn't mean that Del Rio wasn't a lock or whatnot, simply means that they wanted to cover all ends before taking that position and likely wanted to verify the time frame of John Fox.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Of course I'm comfortable with that, sorry Jhil but when I coached, I did so the way I knew was most effective and as I was coached myself. Which was up in your face, some call it a drill instructors mentality but it is and will always be more effective then the more sentimental - get in touch with your feelings crap. Yes, they're grown men, but a lot of players are juvenile in nature because of the modernization of the position, million dollar adolescents who feel that the rules and even at times that the laws don't apply to them simply because they can play a game. If anything the league needs more such coaches, because the annual statistics of player misconduct have risen steadily with the new policies and coaching staffs.

And just because Elway hasn't named an interim yet, doesn't mean that Del Rio wasn't a lock or whatnot, simply means that they wanted to cover all ends before taking that position and likely wanted to verify the time frame of John Fox.

There's a fine line between being an ass and being tough. I think the other person needs to know you care. Without that, no respect will be had and clashes will ensue.

Broncolingus
11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Prayers to Fox and a speedy recovery...

...pretty typical for Denver this year in that not even the coaching staff can stay healthy.

Lancane
11-03-2013, 03:55 PM
There's a fine line between being an ass and being tough. I think the other person needs to know you care. Without that, no respect will be had and clashes will ensue.

Come on DB, if the players used their brains, they'd realize that if he didn't care, then he wouldn't waste the energy ripping into his ass and simply cut them from the team or replace them. A coach doesn't need to kiss their boo-boos and put band aids on their scrapes, a coach isn't a mommy figure.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Come on DB, if the players used their brains, they'd realize that if he didn't care, then he wouldn't waste the energy ripping into his ass and simply cut them from the team or replace them. A coach doesn't need to kiss their boo-boos and put band aids on their scrapes, a coach isn't a mommy figure.

Some get their kicks from ripping into people.

rationalfan
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM
A couple things:
Y'all realize most of the USC coaching rumors were the result of a dedicated prank (check deadspin), right?

There's a lot of talk about how the potential interim coach will be respected by the players. That's fine, but what about developing the weekly game plans/practice schedule/etc.? You want experience or someone who carried on the plans of fox?

BroncoWave
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I can't believe this is even a debate. It's a no-brainer for JDR to be the interim coach. He can still take on that role and focus on the defense while Gase and PFM take care of the offense. With 10 years of HC experience, he is the obvious guy to slip into this role.

ShaneFalco
11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Wish it was Studes takin over

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I always thought Rio was a player's coach. This is the first I've heard him not being liked. MJD had some frustration recently, but that was over a contract.

Davii
11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Wish it was Studes takin over

Why? He wouldn't have authority to hire anyone....

Hawgdriver
11-03-2013, 08:00 PM

JDR can run the D in his sleep. Manning runs the O. Gase is especially valuable as Manning's counterpart. Let JDR or Studesville run the team. I would rather have whoever is better at the headset, calling red flags and all that.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2013, 08:04 PM
So, why do we need an interim coach?

BroncoWave
11-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Well only the head coach can challenge during games, and I think he is the only one who can call timeout from the sideline. You also need someone to set up procedural things like practice schedules and putting together the overall gameplan. 90% of what he does will probably be the same, but there are certain obligations that you need a person in the HC role for.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

The Broncos 5 captains who have talked today with John Fox: Peyton Manning, Wes Welker, Wesley Woodyard, Champ Bailey, David Bruton.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

John Elway and John Fox have spoken today. Fox has also been in contact with 5 captains.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

John Fox, by the way, is in good shape heading into heart surgery. He lost weight. Stopped chewing tobacco. He feels good now.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Some concern who would handle coordinator's side of the ball. For instance, does Del Rio handle both HC and d-coordinator responsibilities?

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Team sources say leaning toward defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio but some details need to be worked out. Including ...

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

#Broncos expected to announce interim head coach tomorrow morning, before 8:05 a.m. full-squad meeting.

My note - In regards to Coach Fox talking with the team captains, Lionel Bienvenu, the sportscaster on Ch7, stated that the Coach talked with the team captains in regards to the interim coach. I think that is great that he wanted their input.

Hawgdriver
11-03-2013, 08:24 PM

You realize this is the highest compliment you could give Fox, right?

ShaneFalco
11-03-2013, 10:22 PM

what do you mean? He took over the year we fired mcdaniels.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Or pick anyone off waivers.

TXBRONC
11-04-2013, 07:31 AM
In your opinion JDR is the best man. If we are going off of experience, he certainly is. However, Jacksonville is who they are right now due in part to JDR. Also, you might want to take a close look at his tenure there. He did some highly odd and questionable things-like cut his starting QB 6 days before the season. In fact he cut his starting QB twice at terrible times.

Well if we are concerned about "smacking people in the face" as Dog put it, then my point stands. He has all but done the same with Denver in not openly and fully addressing the USC situation. So he can dis Denver, his current employer, publicly but it can't be done to him? :confused: This is the NFL. They aren't too worried about hurting feelings. Also, we can all admit that there was a great chance that Del Rio wouldn't have come back this year and many expected him to be one and done! His time is limited no matter what.

Precisely. Fox will be coming back at some point and Del Rio is a commodity whose time here is extremely finite as mentioned above. The idea is to protect the team long term and short term. You have a chance to find out who on your staff may be your next HC down the road but most importantly you put someone in as Interim whose move will have the least downside to their unit.

Again he hasn't exactly been forthright with the USC opening. In fact, the USC mention came not long before the Philly game. Coincidentally the D also began to give up quite a bit in that game through the 3rd quarter of the Redskins game.

J I am absolutely confused. What does the USC rumor have to do with Redskins' game a month which was played a month after the rumor was squashed. Also the defense gave up quite a few points threw the 3rd quarter in the Redskins game? J that just isn't accurate. The defense gave up a total of 14 points i.e. touchdowns in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The only other score was a pick six by the Redskins defense.

jhildebrand
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
J I am absolutely confused. What does the USC rumor have to do with Redskins' game a month which was played a month after the rumor was squashed. Also the defense gave up quite a few points threw the 3rd quarter in the Redskins game? J that just isn't accurate. The defense gave up a total of 14 points i.e. touchdowns in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The only other score was a pick six by the Redskins defense.

Follow the thread. I was pretty clear. People were worried about hurt feelings. A. This is the nfl. B. Someone would have hurt feelings anyway. If you believe a certain coach on your staff is gone after the season anyway, then his feelings being hurt are the last of your concerns. If he is going to be gone anyway than what difference does it make? As for the USC rumor I simply highlighted the fact that as soon as the rumor popped up leading up to the Philly game the D began to show some issues. Issues that, the team has acknowledged, and continued through the redskin game. They gashed us on runs and abandoned them for no reason! Other than that, I simply wondered why Russell was pressured to address his job prospect rumors and del rio was allowed to let his linger.

My biggest concern for Del Rio being interim is his unit, the entire defense, has the potential to be affected much more than Studesville with the RB's. That's about it. It isn't like I am anti del rio. I am not. I just simply wanted Gase or Studesville-preferrably the latter-before Del Rio.

silkamilkamonico
11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't understand all this hype for Gase. Dude's been an OC for not even a full year, with a QB who basically runs the field aspect and probably audibles to his own preference when their on the field, and we want this guy to be an interim head coach? I've even heard some people say he could be a head coaching candidate next year, which I really don't get. I really like Gase, but I'm not fully convinced the guy entirely runs an offensive unit, let alone want him running the entire team. Studs on the other hand..

Ravage!!!
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I think you are making "coincidences" into connections that just don't exist.