PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back, Clevland Browns!

Devilspawn
11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Congrats to the Browns fans here. You guys have taken alot from Broncos fans since... well, forever, and a lot from the NFL as of late. But it's good to see a great franchise back in the hunt and a legitamate threat. Braylon Edwards (my fantasy stud in one league) Kellen Winslow, Jamal Lewis and Anderson are looking like monsters out there.

And the better news, the Cowboys don't have a top-10 pick.

Which begs the question, Anderson or Quinn? Do you go with what's getting you to the dance, or a media darling who's only beaten guys who are no longer in the NFL. Do you trade Quinn to Miami or any other team starving for a starter? Is he a backup option for the money they're paying him?

It can only get better. Welcome back, Cleveland. :welcome:

Medford Bronco
11-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Congrats to the Browns fans here. You guys have taken alot from Broncos fans since... well, forever, and a lot from the NFL as of late. But it's good to see a great franchise back in the hunt and a legitamate threat. Braylon Edwards (my fantasy stud in one league) Kellen Winslow, Jamal Lewis and Anderson are looking like monsters out there.

And the better news, the Cowboys don't have a top-10 pick.

Which begs the question, Anderson or Quinn? Do you go with what's getting you to the dance, or a media darling who's only beaten guys who are no longer in the NFL. Do you trade Quinn to Miami? is he a backup option for the money they're paying him?

And it can only get better. Welcome back, Cleveland. :welcome:

Once they can play a bit more defense the sky is the limit for
them. I have been impressed with Anderson.

IMO I would trade Quinn and add to your defense.

They are most likely going to be a WC team. Good for them :salute:

Retired_Member_001
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
As I said all pre-season, the Browns are back. I predicted a 8-8, 9-7 record in the pre-season but they will definitley go past that.

I also predicted a breakout year for Derek Anderson and I got called some things by some people, and it turns out I was right.

:D

I bet the Cowboys are unhappy at the trade last draft now.

Cleveland Rocks
11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to trade Quinn.

Quinn is the QB of the future. Anderson is a nobody who has come in and played well this year. The key word is this year. The Browns need to have two QB's as insurance. Quinn should start next year and Anderson (if he is still on the team) should be his backup. Quinn was drafted for a reason and trading him away gets rid of that reason. Quinn wants to play in Cleveland. It is a dream he has had since he was a child and he should play in Cleveland. Anderson stares down recievers and if you watched games you would see him do that. Yes, he's had a good year but in the end it is a YEAR. He did not come in and play well last year (except against KC but Frye played extremely well that game too before he left due to injury). The reason the Browns are having success is because they have a kick returner who is allowing them extremely short fields which gives the offense a chance to score.

Yes, the defense needs some adjustments. The secondary is no good and the defensive line is no good. The Browns need to address those needs in the draft. If Anderson leaves then the Browns will have draft picks from him as he is a restricted free agent. Teams will have to give up draft picks for him and the Browns can collect picks and use them all on the defense. There is no reason to trade Quinn whatsoever as he is the future QB of the team.

Furthermore, DS you are 9 years late on your announcement.

Poet
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I hope that team chokes itself out of the playoffs. One decent season is not a welcome back, what happened to their team after their last playoff birth?

Cleveland Rocks
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I hope that team chokes itself out of the playoffs. One decent season is not a welcome back, what happened to their team after their last playoff birth?

While speaking of that, how about those Bengals!

Man, when is the last time you actually won a playoff game?

Oh yea, 1990 wasn't it?

Last time the Browns won a playoff game? 1994

You sure are one to talk, Bengal.

Retired_Member_001
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Quinn is the QB of the future. Anderson is a nobody who has come in and played well this year. The key word is this year. The Browns need to have two QB's as insurance. Quinn should start next year and Anderson (if he is still on the team) should be his backup. Quinn was drafted for a reason and trading him away gets rid of that reason. Quinn wants to play in Cleveland. It is a dream he has had since he was a child and he should play in Cleveland.

It looks like Adrian Peterson is having a good year as well, maybe they should start Chester Taylor next year for insurance? :rolleyes:

The reason the Browns are having success is because they have a kick returner who is allowing them extremely short fields which gives the offense a chance to score.

I could also say the only reason New England are having a good year is because they have a defense that stops people. Everything contributes to a good offense.

I would keep starting Derek Anderson untill Derek Anderson has a terrible streak of games. If Derek Anderson has a similar year next year as he has this year, then I would consider trading Brady Quinn.

Cleveland Rocks
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
It looks like Adrian Peterson is having a good year as well, maybe they should start Chester Taylor next year for insurance? :rolleyes:

Who is the younger player that they drafted?

Taylor or Peterson.

So, your argument does not hold merit.

Now, your argument would hold merit for wanting Peterson to start instead of Taylor. Because Peterson is the young player that was drafted to start. Derek Anderson was a 6th round draft pick. A nobody. Brady Quinn, he's a first round draft pick. Now, you tell me, who should start at running back for the Vikings. Peterson, who is young and full of possibilities, or Taylor, the vet.

Astrass
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
So....knowing Anderson is having a fluke year should the Browns use him as trade bate come next season and get some value out of him? Why keep him as a back up when he could be traded for a starter at some position?

Cleveland Rocks
11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
So....knowing Anderson is having a fluke year should the Browns use him as trade bate come next season and get some value out of him? Why keep him as a back up when he could be traded for a starter at some position?

Because a team does not have to go out and get another team's damaged goods when they can draft them themselves. I hate the Browns relying on players from other teams. It should be talent from the Browns through the draft. If Savage & Company want to do well they should build the team up through the draft instead of signing the Willie McGinnest's, Ted Washington's, and Gary Baxter's of the NFL.

Retired_Member_001
11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Who is the younger player that they drafted?

Taylor or Peterson.

So, your argument does not hold merit.

Now, your argument would hold merit for wanting Peterson to start instead of Taylor. Because Peterson is the young player that was drafted to start. Derek Anderson was a 6th round draft pick. A nobody. Brady Quinn, he's a first round draft pick. Now, you tell me, who should start at running back for the Vikings. Peterson, who is young and full of possibilities, or Taylor, the vet.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Ryan Leaf was a 1st round pick.

So YOUR argument doesn't hold merit.

Cleveland Rocks
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Ryan Leaf was a 1st round pick.

So YOUR argument doesn't hold merit.

Use common sense.

Just because some first round picks flop that doesn't mean that all first round picks flop and also, just because there is the rare occasion of a 6th round pick doing very well that doesn't mean that all 6th round draft picks will do very well.

Retired_Member_001
11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Use common sense.

Just because some first round picks flop that doesn't mean that all first round picks flop and also, just because there is the rare occasion of a 6th round pick doing very well that doesn't mean that all 6th round draft picks will do very well.

What you are saying is that Derek Anderson is not good enough because he isn't a 1st round pick. What I am saying is there is proof that 6th round picks CAN make good quarterbacks. It's obvious Derek Anderson has talent once he get's a chance to settle. I think the Browns should just see what happens. There's no denying that Derek Anderson is putting up a Pro Bowl performance.

NameUsedBefore
11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd keep them both for another year a la San Diego then decide after that. Don't do what Green Bay has done, though...

Astrass
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Because a team does not have to go out and get another team's damaged goods when they can draft them themselves. I hate the Browns relying on players from other teams. It should be talent from the Browns through the draft. If Savage & Company want to do well they should build the team up through the draft instead of signing the Willie McGinnest's, Ted Washington's, and Gary Baxter's of the NFL.

trade him for a draft pick then?

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Quinn is the QB of the future. Anderson is a nobody who has come in and played well this year. The key word is this year. The Browns need to have two QB's as insurance. Quinn should start next year and Anderson (if he is still on the team) should be his backup. Quinn was drafted for a reason and trading him away gets rid of that reason. Quinn wants to play in Cleveland. It is a dream he has had since he was a child and he should play in Cleveland. Anderson stares down recievers and if you watched games you would see him do that. Yes, he's had a good year but in the end it is a YEAR. He did not come in and play well last year (except against KC but Frye played extremely well that game too before he left due to injury). The reason the Browns are having success is because they have a kick returner who is allowing them extremely short fields which gives the offense a chance to score.

Yes, the defense needs some adjustments. The secondary is no good and the defensive line is no good. The Browns need to address those needs in the draft. If Anderson leaves then the Browns will have draft picks from him as he is a restricted free agent. Teams will have to give up draft picks for him and the Browns can collect picks and use them all on the defense. There is no reason to trade Quinn whatsoever as he is the future QB of the team.

Furthermore, DS you are 9 years late on your announcement.

You said that Quinn should stay 2 years on the bench when he was drafted. Now you want him to start next year?
oh well.

And yea I knew Anderson was good last year. If they didn't trade Frye they would be garbage just like the Browns uaually are.

Thier still the same old Browns though IMO. Every year its gonna be "thier year" says Browns fans.

We will see how things go along the road. But I'm glad Dallas wont get a high pick. :salute:

Cleveland Rocks
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Thier still the same old Browns

Good, because that's all I wanted.

The same old Browns, playoff contenders.

That's what the Browns are and that is what the Browns tradition is. Being one of the most storied winning teams in NFL history. That's what the Browns are and that's all they should be. The same old Browns.

BroncoBJ
11-27-2007, 12:41 AM

That's what the Browns are and that is what the Browns tradition is. Being one of the most storied winning teams in NFL history. That's what the Browns are and that's all they should be. The same old Browns.

:lol: They are definatly one of the more exciting teams to watch. I like watching teams who can score 30 and give up 30. Its exciting football for me.

As far as them winning all the time. They have only had 3 winning seasons since I've been born. Thats not exactly great success.

I dont know what makes you think about thier franchise being one of the most storied winning teams.

But I forgot you were born in the 30's so you remember the good times when they won NFL Championship after NFL Championship. :elefant:

Ever since I've been born they have been the laughing stock of the league.

But this isn't the Smack section and I dont want to offend you so Go Browns and heres to a 12-4 season and a 3 seed. :elefant:

Cleveland Rocks
11-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Well, JC, I'm sorry you do not know your football history.

It's pretty evident that you were born in 1989.

Wouldn't surprise me if you knew who didn't know who Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Bill Willis, or who Marion Motley were.

Poet
11-27-2007, 01:00 AM

Their recent success is very small. And I am sorry, but who the hell cares what they did in the time of the Jim Brown? That isn't even in the superbowl era. They where a once great franchise, but talking about things that long ago is stupid. No one even talks about those Browns teams CR, have you guys even gone to the superbowl?

Cleveland Rocks
11-27-2007, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=King87;52133]Their recent success is very small. And I am sorry, but who the hell cares what they did in the time of the Jim Brown? That isn't even in the superbowl era. They where a once great franchise, but talking about things that long ago is stupid. No one even talks about those Browns teams CR, have you guys even gone to the superbowl?[/QUOT

SuperBowl is a recent invention.

But, I should have known that a Bengal fan doesn't care about history. The Browns have won numerous NFL titles. So, you claiming "they never won a SuperBowl" is utter nonsense. Football existed prior to the Super Bowl era. You cannot honestly believe that the NFL didn't have title games before the Super Bowl.

Cleveland Rocks
11-27-2007, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=Cleveland Rocks;52134]

Did I ever say that? Seriously, you are the worst poster on this entire board CR. Every post you make is stupid and filled with ridiculousness. Where did I EVER claim that they didnt have title games? I said who cares about what happened before the SB era? That was so long ago its bloody dumb to even talk about it like it matters. Besides, the REAL Cleveland Browns are in BALTIMORE. My god, post what you want but wait 15 minutes to see if it isn't flat out stupid. :tsk:

The SB has been around for over 30 years. My god, just stop posting. I couldn't post anything as dumb as the drivel you spew out if I TRIED.

Those are the Baltimore Ravens.
The Baltimore Ravens are the Baltimore Ravens.

The Baltimore Ravens began play in 1996.

The Cleveland Browns began play in 1946.

I would think that you would know that 1996 is not 1946.

Cleveland is in Ohio.
Baltimore is in Maryland.

The Baltimore Ravens history dates as far back as 1996. Look in their record books. Go, look.

You will not find any mentioning of any of the Browns records or their players. The Baltimore Ravens are an expansion team that began play in 1996.

Your claim that the Ravens are the Browns is false. The Ravens are not the Browns. They do not have the name, they do not have the colors, they do not have the records, they do not have the trophies. They have nothing that is Cleveland's. So, your insistance that the Ravens are the Browns is false.

Poet
11-27-2007, 01:26 AM
My god, you just don't get it. Let me put it this way, Art Modell is my hero.

Cleveland Rocks
11-27-2007, 01:38 AM
I am going to pretend that you did not say that.

Modell is slime and I hope he is granted a long, long, life. Because he is never getting into the HOF so long as he lives.

BroncoBJ
11-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Well, JC, I'm sorry you do not know your football history.

It's pretty evident that you were born in 1989.

Wouldn't surprise me if you knew who didn't know who Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Bill Willis, or who Marion Motley were.

Yea I know who those people are but when I think "best teams in the history of the game"

I think of Cowboys, 49ers, Packers pretty much.

I NEVER think of the Browns and winning in the same category. :lol:

But what if the Browns done since the SB Era? Besides choking in the playoffs to the Broncos and thier 3 win seasons.

They arn't one of the historied franchises.

Get back to me when the Browns win a playoff game.

Poet
11-27-2007, 03:04 AM
I am going to pretend that you did not say that.

Modell is slime and I hope he is granted a long, long, life. Because he is never getting into the HOF so long as he lives.

And he should. It is a shame that a city like Cleveland has a football team. Cleveland fans are some of the very worst fans I have ever come across in my life. I am sure that there are some decent ones, but I haven't run into many.

topscribe
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Their recent success is very small. And I am sorry, but who the hell cares what they did in the time of the Jim Brown? That isn't even in the superbowl era. They where a once great franchise, but talking about things that long ago is stupid. No one even talks about those Browns teams CR, have you guys even gone to the superbowl?

This is not the smack forum!

If you have something intelligent to say about the Browns, by all means, post.
If you feel a need to smack a team and its fans, then go to the smack forum
and do that. It has no place here.

-----

BroncoBJ
11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
The Browns are the most storied franchise and are nothing but winners.

How is that intelligent? :lol: wow

Cleveland Rocks
11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
The Browns are the most storied franchise and are nothing but winners.

How is that intelligent? :lol: wow

I did not say that.

I said that the Browns are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL and that they have a proud winning tradition.

BroncoBJ
11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
What exactly is a winning tradition to you?

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 12:50 AM
What exactly is a winning tradition to you?

1946 to 1994

Majority of them were winnign seasons. Sure, since 1970 there hasn't been as much success. But that doesn't change the fact that the Browns are one of the most storied teams in the whole NFL. They are the most storied AFC team, that's for sure. Browns where in the NFL from 1950, 10 years before the AFL even existed. Just picture if Art McBride still owned the Browns and hedn't sold it to Modell. Things would be much diferent.

cpr940
11-30-2007, 01:13 AM
1946 to 1994

Majority of them were winnign seasons. Sure, since 1970 there hasn't been as much success. But that doesn't change the fact that the Browns are one of the most storied teams in the whole NFL. They are the most storied AFC team, that's for sure. Browns where in the NFL from 1950, 10 years before the AFL even existed. Just picture if Art McBride still owned the Browns and hedn't sold it to Modell. Things would be much diferent.

Just imagine if Modell hadn't fired Paul Brown.

No Bengals.

Bill Walsh likely OC's in Cleveland....maybe even never taking the Stanford job and coaching the Browns when Brown retired.

Would we all call it the midwest offense? The Walsh ofense? The Browns offense? The Lake Erie offense?

Alternate univers theories are fun.

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 01:20 AM

No Bengals.

Bill Walsh likely OC's in Cleveland....maybe even never taking the Stanford job and coaching the Browns when Brown retired.

Would we all call it the midwest offense? The Walsh ofense? The Browns offense? The Lake Erie offense?

Bernie Kosar labeled it the WCO

Plus, Paul Brown ran a system very similar to the WCO. Modell directly is responsible for firing Paul Brown, forcing Jim Brown into retirement, and letting Schottenheimer go.

He's been doing bad things for a very long time.

cpr940
11-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Bernie Kosar labeled it the WCO

Plus, Paul Brown ran a system very similar to the WCO. Modell directly is responsible for firing Paul Brown, forcing Jim Brown into retirement, and letting Schottenheimer go.

He's been doing bad things for a very long time.

I know Paul Brown ran a system similar to the WCO. That's where Walsh learned it, under Brown with the Bengals. Walsh I believe had the initial spark of it and he took Brown's philosophiess and modified them due to injury in the Bengals running game way back in like 1973 or something.

I don't know exactly what Modell had to do with Jim Brown, I thought Modell came later.

And I know Schottenhiemer was fired, but I thought it was because he kept losing in the playoffs.

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 01:29 AM

No Bengals.

I know Paul Brown ran a system similar to the WCO. That's where Walsh learned it, under Brown with the Bengals. Walsh I believe had the initial spark of it and he took Brown's philosophiess and modified them due to injury in the Bengals running game way back in like 1973 or something.

I don't know exactly what Modell had to do with Jim Brown, I thought Modell came later.

And I know Schottenhiemer was fired, but I thought it was because he kept losing in the playoffs.

Playoffs had nothing to do with it. Schottenheimer was well liked by the fans and that is all that matters, other than winning. Schottenheimer had the team winning and in the playoffs every year and in the running for the Super Bowl.

Jim Brown's acting career was starting when Modell bought the Browns. After the Browns won the NFL title in 1965, Jim Brown was in Europe filming his movie (the Wild Bunch I think it was called?) Modell was angry because he was missing several workouts as filming winded down. So, Modell used the press to lash out at Brown. Saying that his loyalties were in the wrong place and so on. Jim Brown was the Browns at that time. The face and soul of the team. Brown decided to just up and retire because of Modell's tactics.

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Huh,

"Wild Bunch". LOL

It was "The Dirty Dozen"

Been watching "My Name is Nobody" a bit too much.