PDA

View Full Version : John Elway builds Broncos roster, lets John Fox run the team

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
A small portion of cafeteria food was placed in the middle of John Elway's otherwise meticulously organized desk.

John Fox had just exited the office, cracking laughter as he left.

Hanging on a large board to Elway's left were nameplates of every Broncos player, magnetized beneath their positions in depth-chart order.

Elway built that board. He let Fox arrange the depth chart.

AND

"I've always been of the belief that as a leader you serve," Fox said. "People work with you not for you. John's that way. He has a unique perspective. He played at a very high level. He played arguably the hardest position to play in sport. As a coach, you've got your own dogged way to look at things. That perspective John brings is a good thing."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24431097/john-elway-builds-broncos-roster-lets-john-fox-run-team

OrangeHoof
11-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Fox has been to the Super Bowl a couple of times. I think, in general, he knows what he's doing. Elway knows what Fox wants in his players and he tries to find them. And, really, this is Manning's offense so Fox basically makes gameday decisions and works with Del Rio on the defense. I feel pretty solid about everyone's role in that process.

G_Money
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I love that everybody is responsible for their area. I do find it interesting how many people are picking on Elway's drafting in the article comments, though.

2011:
- Von Miller, starter and Pro Bowler
- Rahim Moore, starter
- Orlando Franklin, starter
- Julius Thomas, starter and minor sensation
- Virgil Green, backup and special teams
- Nate Irving, backup and special teams

2012:
- Derek Wolfe, starter/rotation player
- Trevathan, starter
- Malik Jackson, improving rotational DL
- Hillman, backup running back and pinata
- Bolden, special teams player
- Oz...grr... ;)

2013:
- Kayvon Webster, current vital contributor and future long-term starter, it seems
- Sly Williams, backup (injured) but showing potenial
- Ball, backup RB (for now)
- Q Smith (unknown due to injury, but looked interesting in the pre-season)

I'll admit, I wanted different things in some of those drafts, like the Muscle Hamster or a non-QB, but really - Elway is NOT failing at the draft, nor in the UDFA market.

If his worst trait as GM is drafting a couple new quality starters every year and some capable backups, I'll definitely take that.

~G

BroncoJoe
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I was a bit confused re: negative comments on our drafting. Seems to me to be some of the best we've seen in a LONG time.

G_Money
11-01-2013, 03:15 PM
They apparently have forgotten the Shanahan drafts at the beginning of the last decade.

2001: Willie Middlebrooks :lol: and even more nothing after that
2002: Clinton Portis (yay!) and a couple years of Putzier
2003: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2004: DJ (over Steven Jackson...man was I throwing things) and Tatum Bell
2005: our CB draft (RIP D-Will) - only guy still in the league is our undersized 6th rounder Myers that we didn't keep

We butchered half a decade of drafts, with the only impact player being Portis, and very few usable players for any length of time. DJ's stuck around and done pretty well, I guess.

Our 2011 draft had more good players in it that than entire 5 year stretch. Draft ineptitude is not an Elway issue. He's finding good players to help the team.

~G

MOtorboat
11-01-2013, 04:06 PM
They apparently have forgotten the Shanahan drafts at the beginning of the last decade.

2001: Willie Middlebrooks :lol: and even more nothing after that
2002: Clinton Portis (yay!) and a couple years of Putzier
2003: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2004: DJ (over Steven Jackson...man was I throwing things) and Tatum Bell
2005: our CB draft (RIP D-Will) - only guy still in the league is our undersized 6th rounder Myers that we didn't keep

We butchered half a decade of drafts, with the only impact player being Portis, and very few usable players for any length of time. DJ's stuck around and done pretty well, I guess.

Our 2011 draft had more good players in it that than entire 5 year stretch. Draft ineptitude is not an Elway issue. He's finding good players to help the team.

~G

Which were even worse than McDaniels' drafts...

:couch:

DenBronx
11-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Shannys last few years drafting were pretty good. Prior to that yeah they were awfull.

Elway and Fox just mesh together. I am glad Elway stays out of the coaching part and just wants to put the best players he can get on the field for us. We have a very solid coaching staff and front office.

Broncolingus
11-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Maybe Elway could run the challenges too?

...he always has a good look at the replays.

OrangeHoof
11-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Somehow Shanahan found guys like Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Scheffler, Royal, etc whom the rest of the league seemed to like pretty well even though they didn't stay in Denver that long. Can't blame that on Shanahan.

Dreadnought
11-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Good piece. Every symptom of a successful organization is on display. Find good people, let them do their jobs, do not interfere or micromanage. You don't have to spend time proving you are the smartest guy in the building. The really smart guys in the World find smarter guys than them and hire them, and then give them credit for stuff that works.

Army Bronco
11-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Good piece. Every symptom of a successful organization is on display. Find good people, let them do their jobs, do not interfere or micromanage. You don't have to spend time proving you are the smartest guy in the building. The really smart guys in the World find smarter guys than them and hire them, and then give them credit for stuff that works.The smarter guys spend time on the forums telling you that your opinion is wrong and theirs is right...lol... don't you think brother?