PDA

View Full Version : John FOX Challenges........

WARHORSE
10-27-2013, 10:39 PM
SOMEBODY needs to take that dang red flag AWAY from Fox!!!!!

Thats all I wanted to say.

BroncoWave
10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
We need to fire whomever is up in the booth advising him on challenges. He is doing a piss poor job.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-27-2013, 11:20 PM
It was a bad challenge I'm glad he made. The D needed a breather.

NightTerror218
10-27-2013, 11:29 PM
He def needs to learn to throw it better. Several times against colts he could have thrown it. And he throws it on that play......

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2013, 10:57 AM
It was a bad challenge I'm glad he made. The D needed a breather.

We needed the timeout worse when we had 12 guys on the FG block team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
We needed the timeout worse when we had 12 guys on the FG block team.

We weren't in danger of getting low on time outs at any point.

I actually think a challenge is a good idea if your D needs a breather. You get an extra two minutes, opposed to 30 seconds.

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
We weren't in danger of getting low on time outs at any point.

I actually think a challenge is a good idea if your D needs a breather. You get an extra two minutes, opposed to 30 seconds.

???? We ran out of timeouts and couldn't call one to stop us from receiving a penalty for 12 men on the field on the FG attempt.

This led to a first down for Washington instead of a FG, and a few plays later a TD.

We were not just in danger of getting low. . . . we ran the **** out of timeouts. Granted the last one was lost for an injury timeout under the 2:00 minute warning, but we would have had another TO to stop from receiving the 12 men on the field penalty, and that would have held Washington to a FG attempt rather than 7 points.

Broncolingus
10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
...whoever is in that booth needs to do a better job on recommending those challenges...

...that's several now that haven't even been close and that one yesterday was absurd.

Joel
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Said it in the Game Day Thread, but I believe head coaches make all challenges, so there's only one way to take the red flag away from him. As a fellow Houstonian, I'd love to see Kubes take the Texans to a title, but at this point it looks more likely Schaub's done what I've feared the last three years: Play his COACH out of a job along with himself. If that happens and Fox can't get us over the top with PFM in two tries....

He def needs to learn to throw it better. Several times against colts he could have thrown it. And he throws it on that play......
This. It's not just that he makes bad trivial challenges (though that's bad enough since it costs a time out and limits us to only one more challenge, win or lose,) but that he also SKIPS GOOD CRITICAL ones. I mean, I guess since he apparently has no concept of when a play MUST be challenged running out of challenges halfway through the third quarter is no big deal, but only because his cluelessness is a bigger deal.

???? We ran out of timeouts and couldn't call one to stop us from receiving a penalty for 12 men on the field on the FG attempt.

This led to a first down for Washington instead of a FG, and a few plays later a TD.

We were not just in danger of getting low. . . . we ran the **** out of timeouts. Granted the last one was lost for an injury timeout under the 2:00 minute warning, but we would have had another TO to stop from receiving the 12 men on the field penalty, and that would have held Washington to a FG attempt rather than 7 points.
If Fox could count we wouldn't have given up the conversion anyway, so back to "Help Wanted: Coach who knows when to challenge and when not to challenge; must be able to count to 11 without removing shoes."

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
...whoever is in that booth needs to do a better job on recommending those challenges...

...that's several now that haven't even been close and that one yesterday was absurd.

Exactly - if anyone thinks about it, there is no way that the HC, standing on the sidelines, can see exactly what happened on each and every play. Therefore, it is up to those up in the booth, who are reviewing the play, to recommend that the HC throws the flag.

SR
10-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Exactly - if anyone thinks about it, there is no way that the HC, standing on the sidelines, can see exactly what happened on each and every play. Therefore, it is up to those up in the booth, who are reviewing the play, to recommend that the HC throws the flag.

Then they should be slapped silly because these challenges are friggin weak and embarrassing.

Dzone
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
So he threw the red flag to give the D a breather? Havent heard of that strategy before, I just thought someone was being an idiot

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-28-2013, 10:30 PM
So he threw the red flag to give the D a breather? Havent heard of that strategy before, I just thought someone was being an idiot

I'm not saying he did it on purpose. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a bad strategy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Yep, you were right. :D

wayninja
10-29-2013, 12:34 AM
0/4 on worthless challenges. One has to wonder if this isn't a cry for help, or an immature jealous reaction to Peyton getting so much attention.

Yes, we see you John. If you need something, just ask Peyton if it's ok.

zbeg
10-29-2013, 05:24 AM
0/4 on worthless challenges. One has to wonder if this isn't a cry for help, or an immature jealous reaction to Peyton getting so much attention.

Yes, we see you John. If you need something, just ask Peyton if it's ok.

Wasn't he like 6-1 on challenges last season?

Joel
10-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Wasn't he like 6-1 on challenges last season?
It doesn't matter if he's challenging trivial stuff when he obviously won't win, and passing on challenges that could change a game. For example: The Colts challenge of the ruling Holliday was out of bounds when he lost the ball at our 11 last week. THAT was a good challenge, win or lose, but winning got them an easy TD in a game they only won by 6.

Now suppose Fox challenges whether a 1st and 10 pass gained 13 or 20 yards, three times—and WINS—only to have a play like Hollidays fumble later: What can he do? He's out of challenges; he can get in the long line of people waiting their turn to kick him for being a bonehead, and that's about all he can do.

This is why the NFL should let coaches challenge till they run out of time outs, but that's not happening any time soon; the League doesn't want its refs proven wrong half a dozen times in one game, ESPECIALLY if they can be. It does review all scores and turnovers though, but not non-scores/non-turnovers, so save challenges till they matter. Otherwise, being wrong doesn't just cost you a time out, it means you only get one more challenge, win or lose. And even if you're right, your next one will STILL be your last unless you win it, too. How many times has a coach used all three challenges?

LTC Pain
10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Give Fox a roll of toliet paper to throw out for his next challenge!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Give Fox a roll of toliet paper to throw out for his next challenge!

I have no idea what that infers, but I found it to be hilarious.

Lancane
10-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Who really cares? It's a split decision based on various circumstances and you can only hope your eyes or that of your staff are dead on. This is the least worrisome issue I could possibly ponder on, it would be different if we were 1-6 and the challenges had lost the organization some wins, but it hasn't.