PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos' defense rides to the rescue, for a change

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
The defense had become Orange Mush. Pulp and puree. Fluffy like cotton candy. Velvety as chocolate pudding.

Through seven games the Broncos' defense was a moveable feast and a permeable indulgence for opposing offenses. Before Sunday, the Broncos were ranked 32nd against the pass and 30th overall.

The Broncos had a hypersonic, scramjet offense and a septic tank defense. And it was beginning to seem that the Broncos couldn't make it to the Super Bowl, or even into first place in the AFC West over the Chiefs if they couldn't stop a runny nose.

On a resplendent Sunday afternoon the Broncos scored 45 points and a team-record 31 points in the fourth quarter. But guess who won this game?

The Crush Crew.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_24399980/paige-broncos-defense-rides-rescue-change

OrangeHoof
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
He has a point. Manning handed Washington 14 points so the defense was only scored upon for seven. It was stunning, though, to see how momentum switched after that. Reminded me of another Broncos-Redskins game where one team was up 10-0 and boom,boom,boom,boom, the other team takes a 35-10 lead into halftime.

Ravage!!!
10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
He has a point. Manning handed Washington 14 points so the defense was only scored upon for seven. It was stunning, though, to see how momentum switched after that. Reminded me of another Broncos-Redskins game where one team was up 10-0 and boom,boom,boom,boom, the other team takes a 35-10 lead into halftime.

Yeah.. lets not be reminded of that.

Joel
10-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I said earlier we'd sooner or later have a game where the offense sputtered to <40 pts and the D would have to show up that day or we'd lose. The did, and we didn't. In fact, if not for the offense sputtering and Hollidays fumble last week they'd have won that game for us, too; they gave up some points, but everybody gives up SOME points to Indy: Like Denver, that offense can't be stopped, only contained. Miller's return is beginning to look like the missing link, indeed, and now that Woodyard's healthy this looks like a pretty good group.

I'd still like more consistent pressure with just a four or five man pass rush, but as long as our patchwork line can protect Manning and get some push for the backs our D need only be good enough, and it's more than that. Get healthy Broncos, because we've got a brutal month after the bye: @SD, KC, @NE and @KC could well decide the AFCW, and the #1 AFC seed.

Broncolingus
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah.. lets not be reminded of that.

Agreed...

KC, NE, and SD will give the defense a good test of what we can prob expect from playoff-type offenses...and how Denver will fare.

...just to clarify, I think SD (right now) is outside looking in regarding playoffs, but Rivers is playing damn well, and their offense as a whole is looking good...

If we give up yards/points with those teams like we did with Indy, then I think there's real concern for postseason success...

...of course, turnovers have really put the defense in bad spots (and not just once) the past two games, so the offense needs to shore that shit up too...

As always, need to get and STAY healthy (esp. Woodyard), otherwise all that other crap won't make much difference at all...

JMO...

Northman
10-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Agreed...

KC, NE, and SD will give the defense a good test of what we can prob expect from playoff-type offenses...and how Denver will fare.

...just to clarify, I think SD (right now) is outside looking in regarding playoffs, but Rivers is playing damn well, and their offense as a whole is looking good...

If we give up yards/points with those teams like we did with Indy, then I think there's real concern for postseason success...

...of course, turnovers have really put the defense in bad spots (and not just once) the past two games, so the offense needs to shore that shit up too...

As always, need to get and STAY healthy (esp. Woodyard), otherwise all that other crap won't make much difference at all...

JMO...

I dont know if KC will challege us offensively, definitely will challenge us with their defense but im not worried about their offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I dont know if KC will challege us offensively, definitely will challenge us with their defense but im not worried about their offense.

I agree with this - I am not impressed by their offense, and hopefully all Bronco players dinged up will be good to go when we play them.