PDA

View Full Version : Scary Win, but Dreading the Injury Report

Joel
10-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Never saw Ihenacho again after he left; while I still like Adams, I freely admit Ihenacho's better (and younger,) and don't want Adams getting on the field THAT way regardless. I think I saw Webster return after his injury, and wanna say Julius Thomas briefly did, too, but it was hard to keep track of all the bodies dropping today (and not just because a Redskin went out seemingly every other play when we had the ball.)

It begins to feel like the "blueprint" Indy showed for beating us is, well, BEATING us: Doing stuff that would prompt arrests anywhere but a football field, and 15 yard penalties or ejections against any other team. On one play today Decker was arm-locked from the snap till 10 yards downfield, where the ball flopped to the turf: No flag. Anderson's head was wrenched around by the facemask on a first down run: No flag.

I know refs can't see everything, and I complain as much as anyone about recent rules being biased toward offense in general and passing especially, but it's like the other 31 offenses are enjoying those benefits while ours is stuck playing in 1970. All that's missing is for DEs to start Deacon Jones-headslapping our tackles. :rolleyes:

Well, we snuck out with a win despite a VERY rocky first three quarters; the D played so outstandingly well against a good offense that it didn't matter our offense shot itself in the foot for the first 40 and final 10 minutes. Granted, the 'Skins had more than a few drops and RGIII made some bad reads, but it was a solid performance and we made it to the bye without another loss. We have a welcome two weeks to rest and recuperate before the Bolts—I just hope none of TODAYS injuries were very severe. I gotta hit the hay before work in a few hours; keep me posted, eh?

Northman
10-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Good post.

DenBronx
10-27-2013, 08:48 PM
King will congratulate you on your 3rd solid post in 5.....4.....3.....2.....

LawDog
10-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I believe Washington only had one holding called on their O all game - and that one we declined in favor of the down when they were deep in their own end. Need to watch again, but I recall at least six blatants that were not called. Glad this game didn't hinge on the refs, but it still makes me crazy with the inconsistency.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah, the officiating was awful.

Lancane
10-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Actually, if you go over most of our games this season you'll see that the officiating has been somewhat bias, even at home. Remember all the penalty yards against New York, half were bull**** the and some of the more blatant by the Giants weren't even called. It's been going on like that it seems seamlessly since the beginning of the season. We're not media darlings like the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Giants or Packers, we're the other team despite the popularity of the organization worldwide, we're more like the Jets, Bears, Falcons, Saints, Bengals and Oilers were, continually loved and hated depending on the demographic, it's changed a little bit with Manning at the helm, but even when Elway was under center - how many times were we the underdogs simply because. Anybody remember watching Inside the NFL (during it's first couple years) and despite a good game by the Broncos they use to go over the game quickly and be done with talking about the Broncos? It use to piss me off to no end. So, I won't say they're doing it purposefully but more likely subconsciously.

Dzone
10-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I dont know, but there was a PI penalty in the night game that got called and the defender barely touched the receiver...Our receivers are pulled on and held and nothing ever seems to get called. Seems like other teams are aware of this and know that they can get away with it.

OrangeHoof
10-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Saw D. Thomas make a one-handed grab yesterday that was very impressive. He might have caught it with two hands but the DB had grabbed and pulled down the other one. Of course, no flag. Although, generally, I'd rather let the players play than flag every ticky-tack thing. Sometimes you need to call it. The problem with receivers constantly lobbying for flags is that they become like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. After awhile, it all just gets tuned out because they do it so much.

claymore
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Saw D. Thomas make a one-handed grab yesterday that was very impressive. He might have caught it with two hands but the DB had grabbed and pulled down the other one. Of course, no flag. Although, generally, I'd rather let the players play than flag every ticky-tack thing. Sometimes you need to call it. The problem with receivers constantly lobbying for flags is that they become like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. After awhile, it all just gets tuned out because they do it so much.

Our receivers are acting like real beeotches. No one not named Revis should be snatching balls out of Thomas's hands. Decker leads the league in whining for PI calls. I know this will offend some, but these guys need to toughen up and quit expecting the refs to bail them out.

Joel
10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Our receivers are acting like real beeotches. No one not named Revis should be snatching balls out of Thomas's hands. Decker leads the league in whining for PI calls. I know this will offend some, but these guys need to toughen up and quit expecting the refs to bail them out.
Why shouldn't they expect it: All other teams get those calls—including whichever one we happen to be playing at the time. I don't care if the refs call it tight or let teams play as long as they're CONSISTENT about it, the old "blow one down there, blow one down here." We seem to get called for offensive PI as much as defensive—until an opponent has the ball; then the rules suddenly change. It's like the NFL thinks it needs to handicap us because we have PFM and what even he calls the best receiving corps he's ever had. Pity they don't feel the same need to handicap Brady; the Pats could live off PI, one reason I dread playing them.

I agree should finish plays, and shouldn't take PI for granted. Even Tom Terrific can't get away with that, as he learned a few years ago on a deep post from his end zone to nobody: Grounding and a safety on his first play of Super Bowl XLVI (oops.) If nothing else, refs won't call PI on a ball deemed uncatchable, so receivers need to get as close to it as possible to convince refs a brief tug was the only reason they missed.

But c'mon, this is the New and Improved NFL, where "safety" demands flags on everyone everytime they so much as glare at a QB or receiver. Vickerson's been called in consecutive games for brushing a QB with his shoulder while WALKING, and it may have cost us the game last week: Isn't Peyton Mannings safety as important as Bradys? Maybe not; his season-ending and career-threatening injury didn't prompt a new rule, and no one seemed to care when he took one in the chin a few weeks ago, or had an open hand brush his helmet (shouldn't have been called, but WOULD'VE been on anyone else.)

The new rules ARE excessive (and that's from someone who wanted PI called EVERY DOWN as a kid,) but if we're going to have them let's have them. Don't call Chris Harris for draping an arm without altering Torrey Smiths motion, then let David Amerson Virgina Reel his way 10 yards downfield with Decker. How 'bout a level playing field, refs? Or is every game going to be like last years playoff game? :eek:

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 10:57 AM
terrible officiating. I remember a lot of what you bring up Joel. the arm bar on Decker, and I am pretty sure Peyton's facemask grabbed but not a 15 yarder. can't let this get into "our" heads, need to keep playing ball, but still. things will go our way eventually in that regard if we keep at it. Now Vickerson's antics are another story. I mean c'mon big man, enough already.

claymore
10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Why shouldn't they expect it: All other teams get those calls—including whichever one we happen to be playing at the time. I don't care if the refs call it tight or let teams play as long as they're CONSISTENT about it, the old "blow one down there, blow one down here." We seem to get called for offensive PI as much as defensive—until an opponent has the ball; then the rules suddenly change. It's like the NFL thinks it needs to handicap us because we have PFM and what even he calls the best receiving corps he's ever had. Pity they don't feel the same need to handicap Brady; the Pats could live off PI, one reason I dread playing them.

I agree should finish plays, and shouldn't take PI for granted. Even Tom Terrific can't get away with that, as he learned a few years ago on a deep post from his end zone to nobody: Grounding and a safety on his first play of Super Bowl XLVI (oops.) If nothing else, refs won't call PI on a ball deemed uncatchable, so receivers need to get as close to it as possible to convince refs a brief tug was the only reason they missed.

But c'mon, this is the New and Improved NFL, where "safety" demands flags on everyone everytime they so much as glare at a QB or receiver. Vickerson's been called in consecutive games for brushing a QB with his shoulder while WALKING, and it may have cost us the game last week: Isn't Peyton Mannings safety as important as Bradys? Maybe not; his season-ending and career-threatening injury didn't prompt a new rule, and no one seemed to care when he took one in the chin a few weeks ago, or had an open hand brush his helmet (shouldn't have been called, but WOULD'VE been on anyone else.)

The new rules ARE excessive (and that's from someone who wanted PI called EVERY DOWN as a kid,) but if we're going to have them let's have them. Don't call Chris Harris for draping an arm without altering Torrey Smiths motion, then let David Amerson Virgina Reel his way 10 yards downfield with Decker. How 'bout a level playing field, refs? Or is every game going to be like last years playoff game? :eek:

Im not going to buy into all that. Our guys are being pansies. Decker morso than DT. If we arent getting the calls, then get more aggresive. These guys are 6-4 ad 6-3 and outweigh the DB's by 30-40 lbs. No way in hell should D hall been able to drag DT to the ground and INT th ball. Nor should he have snatched it out of DT's hands.

We won, Im happy. But, our WR's are starting to act like premadonnas.

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Im not going to buy into all that. Our guys are being pansies. Decker morso than DT. If we arent getting the calls, then get more aggresive. These guys are 6-4 ad 6-3 and outweigh the DB's by 30-40 lbs. No way in hell should D hall been able to drag DT to the ground and INT th ball. Nor should he have snatched it out of DT's hands.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Decker fought a little harder, he'd be more likely to get a PI call. As it is, he's giving up so quickly that it's not obvious to the ref that he was interfered with.

claymore
10-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that if Decker fought a little harder, he'd be more likely to get a PI call. As it is, he's giving up so quickly that it's not obvious to the ref that he was interfered with.

It might happen a few times, but then they would have to call it both ways I imagine.

Lancane
10-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Clay, it's easy to think that Thomas and Decker are not tough, but how many times have we seen Decker take a severe hit - even to the point of losing his lid? Or Thomas fighting for those last couple yards through defenders? Look, I get that it looked bad that on a few occasions it looked like they didn't fight for the ball, but we've seen the opposite from them as well. But do me a favor, go back if you can and watch from week one at the penalties allowed against the Broncos time and time again that are not being called, I think you'll be surprised - they are basically being molested by the other team and the refs turn a blind eye. If I was Decker, I wouldn't be happy about being manhandled by a cornerback and the referees not doing what they're paid to do.

tomjonesrocks
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Sounds like at least JT might be OK from breaking Twitter posts...

claymore
10-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Clay, it's easy to think that Thomas and Decker are not tough, but how many times have we seen Decker take a severe hit - even to the point of losing his lid? Or Thomas fighting for those last couple yards through defenders? Look, I get that it looked bad that on a few occasions it looked like they didn't fight for the ball, but we've seen the opposite from them as well. But do me a favor, go back if you can and watch from week one at the penalties allowed against the Broncos time and time again that are not being called, I think you'll be surprised - they are basically being molested by the other team and the refs turn a blind eye. If I was Decker, I wouldn't be happy about being manhandled by a cornerback and the referees not doing what they're paid to do.

I see all the no-calls. Im passed getting pissed about it because thats the only way to stop it. Unlike us, they wont call 11 PI calls in one game (Giants). Im not saying they cant take a hit. Im saying they are relying on PI calls that will not happen. Ive only seen Thomas do it once, Decker does it on every play that doesnt result in a catch. And there have been some catchable balls that he has given up on.

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry Lancane, but I have to side with Clay here. you are way out of line, ...

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 11:40 AM

upon further review, there is some truth to this. not saying I haven't allowed myself to be pushed around in life, but letting a punk ass db in Hall do that to you is on the most important level, kinda embarrassing. I mean I'd let it go as a a dude and a fan, but yeah, I know what you mean on that particular one there Clay. that's why I like the likes of McCaffery and Stokely so much . Scrappy white boys.

Lancane
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry Lancane, but I have to side with Clay here. you are way out of line, ...

How am I way out of line? Clay agreed with most of what I had to say, he simply believes Decker is overdoing it in his inertiatic mandering for a flag...

???

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
How am I way out of line? Clay agreed with most of what I had to say, he simply believes Decker is overdoing it in his inertiatic mandering for a flag...

???

I'm not going to get into this Lancane.

G_Money
10-28-2013, 11:47 AM
'cane... You've been gone a while, but AGap is a former "nut." He's pulling your, uh, leg.

~G

claymore
10-28-2013, 11:49 AM
'cane... You've been gone a while, but AGap is a former "nut." He's pulling your, uh, leg.

~G

While we are on this... WHo is ShaneFalco? or is it just ShaneFalco?

G_Money
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
And I said before that I was glad that our receivers got roughed up in Indy so they'd be familiar with that method of playing us.

Well the very next week, the 'Skins secondary treated us the same way and we didn't react any differently. We're gonna get beat up the rest of the year - it's the only way to slow us down. The guys catching the ball had better adjust. Other teams are playing touch football in the secondary, but the refs are letting it go with us, so we're playing tackle and calling our own fouls.

Just catch the ball and don't worry about the flag. If you can't make the effort to get anywhere near the ball, don't look around for a ref to bail you out. Make the effort, get hands on every football you can, HOLD ON TO EM, and don't worry about the rest.

I'd rather be declining fouls because we caught the ball anyway than waiting for a PI call that never comes.

~G

CoachChaz

Chronic

G_Money

Falco is an MJ and personal rights fan.

~G

Lancane
10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm not going to get into this Lancane.

You can not even discuss the position on which you're taking on a discussion board in regards to a post that was obviously either your wording was erroneous or the point you were trying to make was slightly inaccurate? Either way, I wasn't getting into anything nor was I acting omnipotent, simply asking for clarification.

Lancane
10-28-2013, 11:53 AM

~G

Ah, that is good to know...I was like 'WTH'?

On a side note... It's good to be back! :beer:

Joel
10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
terrible officiating. I remember a lot of what you bring up Joel. the arm bar on Decker, and I am pretty sure Peyton's facemask grabbed but not a 15 yarder. can't let this get into "our" heads, need to keep playing ball, but still. things will go our way eventually in that regard if we keep at it. Now Vickerson's antics are another story. I mean c'mon big man, enough already.
That's the thing, Vickerson's not even hitting dudes, just not paying attention where he's walking. On Lucks flop last week Vickerson was trying to watch a third down play he knew he was out of and just flat didn't see Luck in front of him, but didn't plow into the QB; he was just strolling along and brushed Luck. If that's Manning it's incidental, inadvertent; with RGIII and Luck it's 15 yards and a first down.

Again, I don't care how the refs call it as long as they call it the same way for everyone. Rules are rules, but as long as they're consistently and equally applied that's just the game. However, when sauce for the goose isn't sauce for the gander, the technical term is "unfair competitive advantage." The refs job is to prevent that, not create it.

Joel
10-28-2013, 12:09 PM

It's both, exacerbated by both Decker and Demaryius having been called for offensive PI this year (more than once for each, IIRC.) Wouldn't you be mad? Guys mug you and don't get flagged, but if you fight them for the ball YOU get flagged: How the Hell are they supposed to play like that? I agree they should finish plays rather than counting on flags, and that Decker sometimes doesn't—but if they respond to shoves with shoves they'll get flagged, and the reason I know that is because THEY HAVE. Repeatedly.

Well, like I say, they can't and won't call PI on an uncatchable ball, so anything receivers do to convince refs they WOULD'VE caught the ball without interference is not only welcome, but required. They pick UP flags all the time because they threw it, then decided the contact didn't matter because the ball sailed anyway.

claymore
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Falco is an MJ and personal rights fan.

~G

Sounds like a great dude then!

claymore
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
It's both, exacerbated by both Decker and Demaryius having been called for offensive PI this year (more than once for each, IIRC.) Wouldn't you be mad? Guys mug you and don't get flagged, but if you fight them for the ball YOU get flagged: How the Hell are they supposed to play like that? I agree they should finish plays rather than counting on flags, and that Decker sometimes doesn't—but if they respond to shoves with shoves they'll get flagged, and the reason I know that is because THEY HAVE. Repeatedly.

There has to be a way to combat it. I dont think Offensive PI is the answer, but maybe throwing the DB down, then beating the shit out him will stop the rapings.

Lancane
10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
There has to be a way to combat it. I dont think Offensive PI is the answer, but maybe throwing the DB down, then beating the shit out him will stop the rapings.

You've been watching the Replacements again haven't you? LMFAO

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Chronic

chronic colitis

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Ah, that is good to know...I was like 'WTH'?

On a side note... It's good to be back! :beer:

oh yeah Lancane, forgot to mention that, I was just messing around. sorry if it caused unnecessary distress, was certainly not my intention

Joel
10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
So 15 yds (and a possible ejection/fine) for Unnecessary Roughness/Unsportsmanlike rather than 15 yds for Offensive PI; got it. Maybe the Roughness would be justifiable if it sent the message and wasn't to the point of ejection; I do get your point. It's just, I don't think it matters wtf we do; heads they win, tails we lose.

karnage
10-28-2013, 02:34 PM
I see all the no-calls. Im passed getting pissed about it because thats the only way to stop it. Unlike us, they wont call 11 PI calls in one game (Giants). Im not saying they cant take a hit. Im saying they are relying on PI calls that will not happen. Ive only seen Thomas do it once, Decker does it on every play that doesnt result in a catch. And there have been some catchable balls that he has given up on.

Of course they won't call it 11 times....but if they call it 2-3 times, the D will have to adjust how they are playing the Broncos WR's.....that theoretically would lead to the receivers getting open/separation much more often...

With a healthy o-line even mugging the receivers wasn't a big deal, because Manning could just sit and wait till someone got open. However, with this o-line as depleted and less reliable as it is atm, the continued poor officiating is not only allowing the D to slow down Denvers WR, but also is indirectly leading to Manning getting beat up a lot more than he should be.

BroncoJoe
10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Thomas' MRI is negative. Not even a high ankle sprain per KKFN 104.3FM Denver

Joel
10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks for that; any word on Webster/Ihenacho? I understand Harris is OK after that nasty lick he took at the end. Anyone I'm missing? Like I say, the bodies piled high enough it was easy to lose track yesterday.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Julius Thomas ‏@Julius_Thomas 36m

Just left the facility MRI showed it wasn't a high ankle sprain so I won't be down long. Be back soon #CantWait
Retweeted by Vic Lombardi

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Thomas' MRI is negative. Not even a high ankle sprain per KKFN 104.3FM Denver

he better show up to practice dead or in a body cast

BroncoJoe
10-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for that; any word on Webster/Ihenacho? I understand Harris is OK after that nasty lick he took at the end. Anyone I'm missing? Like I say, the bodies piled high enough it was easy to lose track yesterday.

Ihenacho was hungry 2 hours ago. That's all I know.

This is kind of cool though - https://vine.co/v/hplXQqdQnv5

DenBronx
10-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Julius Thomas ‏@Julius_Thomas 36m

Just left the facility MRI showed it wasn't a high ankle sprain so I won't be down long. Be back soon #CantWait
Retweeted by Vic Lombardi

Music to my ears. He is our best recieving TE and we need him down the stretch.....he causes serious matchup problems.

However, Dreessen did provide something much needed. QB Protection and blocking for the RB! Plus Dreessen is pretty darn good catching too.

Maybe we run more double TEs sets later in the season. Both of these TEs contribute in differant ways.

Northman
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Ihenacho was hungry 2 hours ago. That's all I know.

This is kind of cool though - https://vine.co/v/hplXQqdQnv5

I really like him as a player. I hope he's around for a while.

Joel
10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Music to my ears. He is our best recieving TE and we need him down the stretch.....he causes serious matchup problems.

However, Dreessen did provide something much needed. QB Protection and blocking for the RB! Plus Dreessen is pretty darn good catching too.

Maybe we run more double TEs sets later in the season. Both of these TEs contribute in differant ways.
It's the combo I like; we don't have to fear what we lose with Orange Julius' blocking or Greens receiving—and don't telegraph "run" or "pass" to defenses each time we send a guy who's great at one and awful at the other. Seeing Dreesen and Moreno out there tells them exactly NOTHING. Were it up to me the only time we wouldn't be in 2TE was when Welker replaced JT, so JT bowls over anyone who can cover Welker and Welker smokes anyone who can withstand JT. Dreesen plays until he needs Tamme for a rest, make opposing coaches guess wtf we'll do—then WHATEVER they commit to, we burn them with the opposite.

BroncoNut
10-28-2013, 05:07 PM

don't forget Tamme