PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning has 2 ankle sprains

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has two ankle sprains, league sources said.

Manning suffered both injuries, including a high ankle sprain, during Denver's victory two weeks ago against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the sources said.

Manning suffered the first ankle sprain on the Broncos' first offensive play against the Jaguars, the sources said. The four-time MVP sustained the second sprain when he was hit low by Jacksonville's Jason Babin, according to sources.

The high ankle sprain was aggravated during last Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts, when Manning was sacked for the second time by former teammate Robert Mathis.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9888629/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-two-ankle-sprains

Northman
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Yea, we have to really fix that blocking. Manning is the kind of QB you need to keep upright and not taking hits.

spikerman
10-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I think this probably explains his weak passes in the Indy game. I'm sure he had trouble pushing off.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I think this probably explains his weak passes in the Indy game. I'm sure he had trouble pushing off.

I would agree with this

Nomad
10-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Perhaps. Looked like I was duck hunting:lol:

Nomad
10-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Yea, we have to really fix that blocking. Manning is the kind of QB you need to keep upright and not taking hits.

Why doesn't the BRONCOS use a fullback to block on passing downs? Not sure if they even have one

Northman
10-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Why doesn't the BRONCOS use a fullback to block on passing downs? Not sure if they even have one

Could be that we just dont have one that is good enough to do it. But, if its a timing issue than we may need to go to a 4-5 wide or do what the Bears did a couple of years ago and go with a max protect by keeping a guy like Dressen in the lineup primarily as a blocker. Of course keep Moreno in as he is our best RB. It leaves JT out as a weapon unless you mix it up but if we want to keep Peyton on his feet we have to consider the best possible way to do that. Would be nice if the line would just do their job better but you cant rely on that really at this point.

MOtorboat
10-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Moreno is plenty serviceable as a blocker, but two and three guys were getting through the line pretty quickly against Indy, and there's not much any running back can do about that. The front five just has to block better.

Joel
10-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Or we could trade for the kind of QB you DON'T need to keep upright and not taking hits. I mean, then we only have to fill one position instead of two. :tongue:

Our line's a disaster right now, not just in pass protection, but everywhere. Not only did it directly hand Indy points with the strip-sack-safety and interception last week, we had two three-and-outs in the first quarter alone because we couldn't convert 3rd and 1; the next time we had 3rd and 1 we passed, and Indys D surely noticed that as quickly as I did.

I just hope we can keep Manning and everyone else intact today, get the win and get Franklin back after the bye. Of course, we had Franklin when we played the Jags, and apparently it didn't help.

Northman
10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Or we could trade for the kind of QB you DON'T need to keep upright and not taking hits.

Who did you have in mind?

SR
10-27-2013, 12:12 PM

There isn't a QB in the league that fits Joel's description.

Joel
10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Could be that we just dont have one that is good enough to do it. But, if its a timing issue than we may need to go to a 4-5 wide or do what the Bears did a couple of years ago and go with a max protect by keeping a guy like Dressen in the lineup primarily as a blocker. Of course keep Moreno in as he is our best RB. It leaves JT out as a weapon unless you mix it up but if we want to keep Peyton on his feet we have to consider the best possible way to do that. Would be nice if the line would just do their job better but you cant rely on that really at this point.
I still don't think Dreesen for Orange Julius costs us much receiving, particularly given the massive gain in blocking. Dreesen's been nursing a bad knee all year though, so that might make a difference.

It was a (bad) joke; when you said, "Manning is the kind of QB you need to keep upright and not taking hits," I was like, "as opposed to...?

I'm not sure we DO have a FB right now; we signed Jacob Hester for that last year, but cut him at the start of this season.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 12:36 PM
There is no way I am going to totally blame it on the "makeshift offensive line" we had in to play against Indy.

Here is final injury report - Both Kuper and Franklin are questionable.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Final-HealthONE-Injury-Report/e2564303-8018-42ea-9d0b-2777b634e576

SR
10-27-2013, 12:37 PM
There is no way I am going to totally blame it on the "makeshift offensive line" we had in to play against Indy.

What would you blame then?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

Those ankles looked fine on Wednesday when he avoided the topic. They looked fine on Thursday. He'a not an option quarterback. He's fine.

Peyton Manning controls the flow of information. He wanted it known today that he has, not one, but two ankle sprains. More gamesmanship?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 12:41 PM
What would you blame then?

I guess I did not word it correctly. With the makeshift offensive line the Broncos had to put out there, IMO they did as well as they could.

MOtorboat
10-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Franklin will start at RT today. Vasquez back to guard. That should help keep Manning a little more upright.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2013, 12:43 PM
In regards to a FB blocking - there is no FB on the Broncos' roster

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

They use the TE to help block, and that is not one of JT's strong points.

Nomad
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Moreno is plenty serviceable as a blocker, but two and three guys were getting through the line pretty quickly against Indy, and there's not much any running back can do about that. The front five just has to block better.

I have no doubt Moreno can block, but I'd rather he limit his blocking and do more running. And no doubt the lineman need to do their jobs.

SR
10-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Franklin will start at RT today. Vasquez back to guard. That should help keep Manning a little more upright.

Assuming Franklin can move right and not leave the game.

MOtorboat
10-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Assuming Franklin can move right and not leave the game.

Yes.

Joel
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Thought he was a game time decision? Makes sense with him listed as questionable. I honestly don't know how to feel about the prospect of him playing; we can't afford to just take our lumps (and let Manning take his) and hope to get healthy during the bye, but aggravating Franklins injury so one or two weeks out turns into one or two months would be a disaster.