PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thomas

CrazyHorse
10-25-2013, 07:42 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/23/5022858/should-broncos-pursue-joe-thomas
I heard the front office inquired about him last month. I wonder if they were still pursuing this. Depending on the price it would be a great move for this year. The problem I see is the salary. There isn't enough to pay two franchise left tackles.

MOtorboat
10-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Not going to happen.

And I'm still not sure how paying two of the top 5 left tackles in the game either makes sense or is even possible.

CrazyHorse
10-25-2013, 08:29 PM
One of the ideas I heard was trading Thomas for Clady with another pick.

MOtorboat
10-25-2013, 08:36 PM
One of the ideas I heard was trading Thomas for Clady with another pick.

Only thing that makes sense to me.

But I don't like it.

Poet
10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
They could probably get him with 4 average players, a third, a fourth, a seventh, and some cash.

:theyseemetrollingtheyhatin':

BroncoWave
10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Only thing that makes sense to me.

But I don't like it.

I don't think the CBA allows teams to trade injured players. I could be wrong though.

Lancane
10-25-2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/23/5022858/should-broncos-pursue-joe-thomas
I heard the front office inquired about him last month. I wonder if they were still pursuing this. Depending on the price it would be a great move for this year. The problem I see is the salary. There isn't enough to pay two franchise left tackles.

Of course people on here are going to blast the idea mentioned in the report, there was a debate in another thread where a number of posters were against such a move - for whatever some odd reason. However, there is no mistaking that the offensive line is a liability at this time, even worse now then when they showed interest in Thomas and he'd likely cost the Broncos a pick or two even, depending on if a trade package could be put together. As for his salary, which is 10 million, the Broncos are one of the few teams with enough cap space to afford it, but more likely they would have restructured a whole new deal.

But seems to me that the trade is unlikely now because it never really went anywhere, but they could look at other options, such as Sam Baker, Donald Penn, Jordan Gross, Will Beatty or Duane Brown.

dogfish
10-25-2013, 09:17 PM
yea, i'm almost positive you can't trade injured players. . . if you could, though, why the hell wouldn't you? even if you think clady's the better player, the guy has suffered two major injuries. . . and may not be fully himself next year. . . we could really use an LT with joe's durability and high level of performance right about now. . . the manning window is probably only a few years. . . i don't see how we'd fit him under the cap for this year, though. . . i doubt this has legs. . .

DenBronx
10-25-2013, 09:30 PM
This deal only makes sense if Clady is involved in the trade.

Thomas is more durable and that would be the only reason I would want him. Other than that, skill wise it is just a wash. When healthy, Clady is a top 3 LT.

If the Browns did it and it was even legal then I say go for it. Heck, get Jarred Allen or Revis while were at it and lets get this ring dammit!

Poet
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
yea, i'm almost positive you can't trade injured players.

Trades require players to pass physicals. I am unsure if a team can waive that requirement.

dogfish
10-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Trades require players to pass physicals. I am unsure if a team can waive that requirement.

they can either waive or heavily manipulate it when signing a free agent-- pretty sure you can't when trading a player, though. . .

Poet
10-25-2013, 10:24 PM
they can either waive or heavily manipulate it when signing a free agent-- pretty sure you can't when trading a player, though. . .

I did not know that you could waive or manipulate it.

dogfish
10-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I did not know that you could waive or manipulate it.

and i don't know that they can, necessarily. . . teams get a good bit of latitude in regards to how rigorous they want their physicals to be, though. . . it's not terribly uncommon to see a guy fail a physical one place, then pass somewhere else a week later. . . remember the dolphins deciding to sign culpepper instead of brees, because they were worried about drew's shoulder? dumbasses. . .

MOtorboat
10-25-2013, 10:33 PM
and i don't know that they can, necessarily. . . teams get a good bit of latitude in regards to how rigorous they want their physicals to be, though. . . it's not terribly uncommon to see a guy fail a physical one place, then pass somewhere else a week later. . . remember the dolphins deciding to sign culpepper instead of brees, because they were worried about drew's shoulder? dumbasses. . .

Broderick Bunkley...Brown to the Broncos...

Simple Jaded
10-26-2013, 01:45 AM
I think they can't trade a player that's not on the active roster, like IR and suspended lists. A while back some team was rumored to be shopping some douchebag on the failure to report list but, iirc, they woulda had to waive another player or take him off said list to trade him.

I can barely remember what I had for lunch so take it fwiw.

sneakers
10-26-2013, 06:10 AM
That is the last thing the broncos need, more badgers

Ravage!!!
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't see why a team could NOT waiver a physical if they know the player they are getting is injured. I would have guessed that the physical is set up so that one team does not trade away a player that they know is injured when the 2nd team doesn't. I would THINK that the team trading for Clady could give him a physical and say "Yes, there are no OTHER injuries that have not been reported." That would make a LOT more sense than to completely nullify trades because a player is injured.