PDA

View Full Version : Broncos know they must improve protection for Peyton Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
10-25-2013, 04:20 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The only feeling that might be as bad for Julius Thomas as whiffing on a block that gets his quarterback, Peyton Manning, hit was having to re-watch the error over and over and over on a projector screen in a Denver Broncos meeting room.

"It's hard to say it's worse because in the moment of the game, you know you let your team down," Thomas, a tight end, told USA TODAY Sports on Friday after he reflected on a play which resulted in Manning throwing a critical fourth-quarter interception against in Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

"But when you're watching it up there, you see, 'Oh I could have done so many other things.' When I get to see it from that view, I see what I could have done."

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/10/25/peyton-manning-better-protection-julius-thomas/3190375/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DenBronx
10-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Julius is such a good pass catching TE that we somehow forget that he gives up critical blocks that lead to Manning getting hit sometimes. Hopefully he will get better at blocking too otherwise Dreesen and Tamme will get more time down the stretch if we need the TE to help protect Manning.

Lancane
10-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Let's blame it all on the tight end...what the hell? Or should I say - what a joke? Either really fits.

claymore
10-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Julius is such a good pass catching TE that we somehow forget that he gives up critical blocks that lead to Manning getting hit sometimes. Hopefully he will get better at blocking too otherwise Dreesen and Tamme will get more time down the stretch if we need the TE to help protect Manning.

Hell yeah. I sure hope he improves. I dont want him off the field unless Mannings life depends on it.

Nomad
10-25-2013, 06:23 PM
This is where a FB comes in handy....jmo of course.

Joel
10-26-2013, 02:57 PM
I still think Dreesen the obvious solution; a quality receiver in his own right, but also a fiine blocker: A tight ends tight end. A few weeks ago I asked whether Orange Julius was starting because of his phenomenal receiving ability or Dreesens earlier injury, and was asked if I watched the games. Well, I watched the LAST game, and the question still stands. Green can't catch like Dreesen and Thomas can't block like him; if Dreesen's healthy there's not much more to say.

Ravage!!!
10-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah.. if Dreesen is healthy there isn't much to say other than... Julius is STILL far too important for the offense to replace with Dreesen. Thomas actually causes mismatches and problems for the defense to solve. Julius OPENS up the middle for Welker and provides the 1-n-1's for Decker. Because Julius is on the field, the opposing teams can't simply keep a LB on the field to cover him, thus often having to keep an extra DB on the field. Who does that help, Moreno.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Julius is too important to bench, but he has to to do more than just go through the motions in pass protection. It looked like he wanted no part of blocking that DE. The effort was pitiful.

Joel
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah.. if Dreesen is healthy there isn't much to say other than... Julius is STILL far too important for the offense to replace with Dreesen. Thomas actually causes mismatches and problems for the defense to solve. Julius OPENS up the middle for Welker and provides the 1-n-1's for Decker. Because Julius is on the field, the opposing teams can't simply keep a LB on the field to cover him, thus often having to keep an extra DB on the field. Who does that help, Moreno.
Julius Thomas: 6'5", 250 lbs., 4.57 second 40 Joel Dreesen: 6'4", 245 lbs., 4.72 second 40

The first's a mismatch, but not the second? For 1" of height, 5 lbs. of mass and 0.15 seconds less time to run 40 yds? That's not much upside to trade for an interception that sealed our first loss. How much do we really lose in the passing game by starting Dreesen (who's always been a good receiver) over Orange Julius? And how much do we GAIN in blocking both for the run and pass?

MOtorboat
10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Julius Thomas: 6'5", 250 lbs., 4.57 second 40 Joel Dreesen: 6'4", 245 lbs., 4.72 second 40

The first's a mismatch, but not the second? For 1" of height, 5 lbs. of mass and 0.15 seconds less time to run 40 yds? That's not much upside to trade for an interception that sealed our first loss. How much do we really lose in the passing game by starting Dreesen (who's always been a good receiver) over Orange Julius? And how much do we GAIN in blocking both for the run and pass?

You just have to watch to know Thomas is a much bigger threat receiving than Dreesen. He leads the league in touchdowns...I saw the play people are referring to (ONE PLAY), and he certainly was responsible for Denver not getting the 3rd and short, but he's way too big of a receiving threat in a passing offense to not have him on the field.

What Denver needs to reevaluate is the tempo of the offense.

Joel
10-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Watching Thomas reveals he's a major receiving threat; it does not follow he's a much bigger one than Dreesen, as those who watched him play in Houston can attes. The question's not whether Thomas is a bigger receiving threat, but whether the difference is greater than Dreesens much better blocking for both pass AND run. It used to be an axiom WRs who weren't at least adequate run blockers couldn't start in Denver; it doesn't make sense to apply that rule to pure receivers yet exempt hybrid receiver/blockers. If great catches aren't enough to start a WR who can't block, why would they be good enough for a starting TE?

For me, a lot of it comes down to versatility, just as rotating in a speedy RB who can't pick up a blitz screams, "IT'S A RUN!" and rotating a good pass blocker who can't run screams, "IT'S A PASS!" Telegraphing playcalls is a bad first step on the road to beating defenses, but if Thomas can't block and Green can't catch we're doing the same thing each time we swap them. Sending Dreesen and Moreno out there doesn't tip our hand, and allows us to both pass and run effectively. Sending out Thomas and Hillman is more than likely just a prelude to sending out Colquitt, because neither blocks well enough to help the other succeed.