PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2020 Ep. 4: Analytics and Officiating

Dapper Dan
10-23-2013, 06:30 PM
How will officiating evolve as new replay technology is introduced by the year 2020? How are statistics changing as more and more rookies set new standards? Check out episode 4 to learn more about the future of the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/nfl-2020-ep-4-analytics-195629668.html

The link has a good video. It's interesting. I wish I could find the link on YouTube so you wouldn't have to click the link.

OrangeHoof
10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
There will still be way too many "judgement calls" that will allow officials to determine the outcome of games. My problem isn't so much the rules but the haphazard way in which they are applied.

Dapper Dan
10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
There will still be way too many "judgement calls" that will allow officials to determine the outcome of games. My problem isn't so much the rules but the haphazard way in which they are applied.

What frustrates me is when the rules keep the official from making the right call. If the replay shows something, you should be able to go with what the replay says. Know what I mean, Verne? In the end, it should be about getting it right.

OrangeHoof
10-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Replay doesn't determine pass interference or not, hitting a defenseless receiver or not, roughing the quarterback or not, targeting or not, pushing to block a FG attempt or not, holding or not, etc. Those are judgement calls and that's what I'm talking about. The safety rules have added a whole new layer of judgement calls so that officials determine the outcome just by what they let players get away with and what they don't.

Dapper Dan
10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Replay doesn't determine pass interference or not, hitting a defenseless receiver or not, roughing the quarterback or not, targeting or not, pushing to block a FG attempt or not, holding or not, etc. Those are judgement calls and that's what I'm talking about. The safety rules have added a whole new layer of judgement calls so that officials determine the outcome just by what they let players get away with and what they don't.

I'm not sure how you can't make the judgement via replay.

OrangeHoof
10-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Judgement calls are (currently) not reviewable.

Northman
10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure how you can't make the judgement via replay.

You could, but then it would be micro managing the refs too much. Every coach would be screaming for a replay if it was allowed to replay holds, PI, etc.

Dapper Dan
10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Judgement calls are (currently) not reviewable.

Right. Sorry. What I meant in my other post is that it frustrates me sometimes that so many things aren't reviewable. I get that they don't want a game to last 8 hours. Actually, I wouldn't mind, but the game is set up for the casual viewer. In a perfect world, everything would be reviewable. The refs aren't limited by their view on the replay. They are limited because the rule book says they can't change the call on a certain play. If it's important enough, the referee should have the authority to fix the situation. The end of the ASU/Wisconsin game, for example. That clock shouldn't have ran out. Another example, when there's a pass interference call that hands the team the win. It would be nice if the referee could look at the replay and see that no interference was made. I don't know. It's like baseball. Human error will always play a part. I just hate seeing it change the outcome of a game.

Dapper Dan
10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
You could, but then it would be micro managing the refs too much. Every coach would be screaming for a replay if it was allowed to replay holds, PI, etc.

Right. And that's why so many calls aren't reviewable, because of what you just said. It would be interesting to have some sort of rule for the final 2 minutes or final minute. But then a coach might abuse it to slow down a teams hurry up.

Slick
10-25-2013, 09:31 AM
That helmet to helmet hit the punter laid on Holiday is a good example. The refs blew that.

Dapper Dan
10-25-2013, 04:20 PM
That helmet to helmet hit the punter laid on Holiday is a good example. The refs blew that.

Somehow, I totally missed that. A guy was talking about it last night and showed me the replay.