PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Daily thought (Wednesday) … by Jack Handy

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
This will surprise you.

Pro Football Focus, a website NFL executives, including those with the Broncos, scan each week, gave Denver strongside linebacker Von Miller a higher grade from the game Sunday in Indianapolis than the Colts’ Robert Mathis.

Mathis had two sacks and four quarterback hits. Miller had zero sacks and two quarterback hits. Yet, Miller was given a 14.7 in pass-rush productivity (or, as we call it in the biz, PRP) with 6 total pressures in 32 pass rush snaps while Mathis got a 9.9 PRP on 5 total pressures in 43 pass rush snaps.

Pro Football Focus also gave Miller a +4.5 overall grade, tied for the highest among all 4-3 outside linebackers.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/23/broncos-daily-thought-wednesday-by-jack-handy/22647/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 01:08 PM
I personally thought Miller played well. He looks like the same guy to me, and they definitely game planned for him.

However, this is where stats are a little mis leading because Mathis's sack\safety was one of a few plays in the game that changed the game.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
miller played well sunday. the issue denver had was the interior dlines ability to push the pocket downfield. both miller and philips got in the backfield with explosivness, luck was just able to step up in the pocket

atwater27
10-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Cool article. With a shot out to Simon Fletcher!

TXBRONC
10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I also thought for being absent for six weeks Miller did well. I'm sure the sacks will start coming soon.

Nomad
10-23-2013, 07:50 PM
miller played well sunday. the issue denver had was the interior dlines ability to push the pocket downfield. both miller and philips got in the backfield with explosivness, luck was just able to step up in the pocket

Isn't this always the issue! I was told by some of our more 'knowledgeable' posters the fat bodies in the middle were gonna do fine.

Dzone
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Simon Fletcher just played in the wrong era. Those numbers now days could put him in the HOF.

Lancane
10-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Isn't this always the issue! I was told by some of our more 'knowledgeable' posters the fat bodies in the middle were gonna do fine.

Having the number one rushing defense in the league is pretty damn good in my opinion. But it's hard to completely crush the pocket or have a successful pass rush when your defensive coordinator continues to have the corners and safeties play so far off receivers that every quarterback in the league has an open second, third or even fourth option with a short amount of time. If you can find a receiver continually before the pocket can collapse or before the pass rush can come off the edge, well look no further then the Broncos-Colts game for the answer.

BroncoJoe
10-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Having the number one rushing defense in the league is pretty damn good in my opinion. But it's hard to completely crush the pocket or have a successful pass rush when your defensive coordinator continues to have the corners and safeties play so far off receivers that every quarterback in the league has an open second, third or even fourth option with a short amount of time. If you can find a receiver continually before the pocket can collapse or before the pass rush can come off the edge, well look no further then the Broncos-Colts game for the answer.

Drives me insane when I see our DB's playing 5-7 yards deep on a 3rd and 4. Insane.