PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Eric Decker is Peyton Manning's favorite target

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Eric Decker is making people take notice. His 627 receiving yards rank second in the NFL to Baltimore's Torrey Smith (629).

But Decker shies away from any thought that he has become the "go to" receiver for Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

"We're pretty well-balanced," Decker said Tuesday. "I would say that all of us have about the same number of targets."

After a subpar first game, Decker has been Manning's most reliable target.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24365565/broncos-eric-decker-is-peyton-mannings-favorite-target

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 10:49 AM
It's probably because he receives less attention than DT and Welker. If I had to pick my poison against the Broncos that's what I would do...make Decker beat me.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 11:03 AM
It's probably because he receives less attention than DT and Welker. If I had to pick my poison against the Broncos that's what I would do...make Decker beat me.

from article:

Eric Decker is making people take notice. His 627 receiving yards rank second in the NFL to Baltimore's Torrey Smith (629)

So, if you are correct, since Smith only has 2 more receiving yards than Decker, do you not feel that the other teams would be putting an emphasis on trying to stop Decker?

Dreadnought
10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

I don't think I agree. He has been better at getting separation than DT over the past couple of games, and simply runs great routes. If he is open more often he'll get more opportunities. Anyways, its academic. If I had to design an offense there would be no such thing as a "#1" receiver, and that seems to be what we are doing. I think going forward we'll see some games with DT getting more yards/catches, some with ED getting more yards/catches. I am totally OK with that.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think I agree. He has been better at getting separation than DT over the past couple of games, and simply runs great routes. If he is open more often he'll get more opportunities. Anyways, its academic. If I had to design an offense there would be no such thing as a "#1" receiver, and that seems to be what we are doing. I think going forward we'll see some games with DT getting more yards/catches, some with ED getting more yards/catches. I am totally OK with that.

I totally agree with this.

Timmy!
10-23-2013, 11:17 AM
DT has been MIA for a couple weeks....

Northman
10-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Which is good for us because he seems to beat a lot of people.

Dreadnought
10-23-2013, 11:21 AM
DT has been MIA for a couple weeks....

True, but he'll be fine, just like ED was fine after his disastrous week one showing. These guys are the least of our problems

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 11:25 AM

That's because DT usually has the #1 corner on him with help over the top. Frequently Decker is left in single coverage against a #2 corner.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 11:27 AM
from article:

So, if you are correct, since Smith only has 2 more receiving yards than Decker, do you not feel that the other teams would be putting an emphasis on trying to stop Decker?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not a good receiver. I'm saying DT is more of a game changer. DT is never left in single coverage agains a #2 corner. Teams almost always have their #1corner on him with help over the top.

Northman
10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not a good receiver. I'm saying DT is more of a game changer. DT is never left in single coverage agains a #2 corner. Teams almost always have their #1corner on him with help over the top.

Emmm, not sure about that either. A game changer to me is a guy like Calvin Johnson. He routinely gets doubled and tripled covered and still makes plays.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Emmm, not sure about that either. A game changer to me is a guy like Calvin Johnson. He routinely gets doubled and tripled covered and still makes plays.

That's pretty exclusive company. There's only one Calvin Johnson.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
After Broncos' games, Vic Lombardi will use a telestrator to show a play in the latest game. Last night, he showed a play where Demaryius was the one Peyton threw to. Vic pointed out that Demaryius not only had single coverage, but also that the guy was playing off of him. The play was designed for DT to turn/run down the sidelines; however, he turned and ran towards the middle of the field. Peyton threw where DT should have been, and as Vic stated, if he had ran the route right, there would have been no one to stop him = TD.

Also, it has been noted locally, and nationally that the one rap against Orange Julius is that he can not block.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love DT and OJ, and I realize that every player makes mistakes, but for some reason, on the weekly game thread, and in different threads, you read more negative things about Decker than any other player, on a consistent basis.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 01:11 PM
After Broncos' games, Vic Lombardi will use a telestrator to show a play in the latest game. Last night, he showed a play where Demaryius was the one Peyton threw to. Vic pointed out that Demaryius not only had single coverage, but also that the guy was playing off of him. The play was designed for DT to turn/run down the sidelines; however, he turned and ran towards the middle of the field. Peyton threw where DT should have been, and as Vic stated, if he had ran the route right, there would have been no one to stop him = TD.

Also, it has been noted locally, and nationally that the one rap against Orange Julius is that he can not block.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love DT and OJ, and I realize that every player makes mistakes, but for some reason, on the weekly game thread, and in different threads, you read more negative things about Decker than any other player, on a consistent basis.

Just for clarification....I am not one who flames Decker. I think he's a good football player. I was just making a point about why he is frequently open. Don't take it the wrong way. Decker is one of the best #2's in the league. However, to say he's Manning's favorite target is a little disengenous. He has one more reception than DT and 17 more yards. He has less receptions than Welker. Manning will do what Manning does, throw it to the open guy.....or in the example above, throw it to the guy who runs the right route. :D

CoachChaz
10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I fear this thread is turning into a "Decker is a better receiver than DT" festival and I should probably leave.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Just for clarification....I am not one who flames Decker. I think he's a good football player. I was just making a point about why he is frequently open. Don't take it the wrong way. Decker is one of the best #2's in the league. However, to say he's Manning's favorite target is a little disengenous. He has one more reception than DT and 17 more yards. He has less receptions than Welker. Manning will do what Manning does, throw it to the open guy.....or in the example above, throw it to the guy who runs the right route. :D

I did not say or imply that you are the one who flames Decker. Also, the one who said Decker is Manning's favorite target is the person who wrote the article. IMO only, I feel Decker is the one who gets targeted by most of the negative posts, and that is not meaning that I feel you are the one doing it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 01:32 PM
I fear this thread is turning into a "Decker is a better receiver than DT" festival and I should probably leave.

Not sure where you are getting that - I don't see any post that states that Decker is a better receiver than DT.

SR
10-23-2013, 02:05 PM

And Detroit also doesn't have the option to throw to Wes Welker, Eric Decker, or Julius Thomas.

claymore
10-23-2013, 02:15 PM

My only real beef with decker is that last week he was more concerned with getting a PI flag than going for the ball. Granted, i thought he was getting mugged. But you still have to fight for the ball.

CoachChaz
10-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Not sure where you are getting that - I don't see any post that states that Decker is a better receiver than DT.

I said I feared it was about to turn into that. Read the first page objectively

CoachChaz
10-23-2013, 02:29 PM

The problem there is we can see Decker drop easy balls regularly...we can see him fall over imaginary trip wire...we can see him look for a PI call instead of trying to make a catch...we can see him lose control of an easy TD reception.

Conversely, we cant know if DT ran a wrong route because we dont know the play that was called.

Northman
10-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Agreed.

Not only is it really unwarranted but unnecessary and tiresome. There are/have been far worse players to play for the Broncos. Ill never understand the negativity on Decker when virtually every receiver on this squad does the same shit.

Northman
10-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Probably a good idea CC. We know how much you love to bash the shit out of him.

BroncoNut
10-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Eric Decker is good looking. I spose I would target him too if I were Peyton

BroncoNut
10-23-2013, 03:09 PM

DT who?

Northman
10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
DT who?

Dick Tracy

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 03:14 PM
DT who?

The guy who has about 30 yards less than the league leader.

BroncoNut
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Dick Tracy

pass completed to Dick Tracy!! Dick Tracy one hands it in the endzone for a touchdown!!!!.

BroncoNut
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
The guy who has about 30 yards less than the league leader.

all he needs to do is catch a 31 yard pass and he leads the league. just thought about that. interesting

G_Money
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
The best thing to happen to DT was Peyton, because Manning forced him to learn the route tree and run it if he was gonna get any passes thrown his way. DT always had amazing talent, but since he didn't have to run routes in college he was behind the curve in being able to apply those talents on a football field.

Every receiver should love to play with Manning (Well, maybe not just the ones that run fly routes Manning can't throw and drop balls everywhere else on the field - Heyward-Bey would get knifed in his sleep by PFM around week 9) but it REALLY helped DT.

Decker is a really good receiver who, IMO, is over-rated and will shortly be over-paid, probably not by us. But he runs better routes still than DT so for timing purposes the quick hits are going to be to Decker or Stokely, and Stokely is scaring the pants off of people leaving Deck more open. The receiver screens go more to DT because all he has to do is stand there, then do amazing things with his athleticism.

All of em make the offense work this well. I agree on Decker looking for the flag too many times last week. He's gotta learn how to play through contact. Thomas is better at that, but Manning flat out missed DT several times last week - perhaps because of the ankle and not being able to step into the throws to get the ball up high where DT likes it.

Manning makes a big deal about finding out where a receiver likes the ball (high-point on a jump, bread-basket, extended left, whatever) so that not only are they comfortable, but he is as well. Decker has been open more often for the kinds of throws he likes to get, so Manning is getting him the ball. But it ain't like DT or Stokely are suffering in catches or yards.

More open = favorite right now, and with pressure coming the last couple weeks Manning's first check-down seems to be Deck, since he knows where Decker will be in the route and it's not right into traffic like Stokely (which brings more of a risk of turnovers).

It's why if Decker is not back next year, I'd be looking for a route-runner to replace him with, not a DT-type.

~G

SR
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
G, by Stokely I'll assume you meant Welker.

DenBronx
10-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't get the criticism over Decker. Sorry I can't get behind that at all because he is ALWAYS open. Well no one is always open but the majority of the time he is open and that's a huge task for any WR. Decker runs crisp, clean routes alot like Rod Smith used to which made him super productive. Everyone says Decker only gets the targets because teams are putting the #1 CB on DT all the time blah blah blah. Actually Decker on many times has made DTs load alot lighter as well. No one can double DT right now because there are too many targets on this Broncos team. Decker is just taking advantage of it a little more and yes getting open quicker and more than the others. Decker needs to stay here.....even if that means getting rid of Champ. The year after that maybe Manning moves some money around to give DT a new deal. We could then maybe franchise Welker that year too. I want these 3 WRs here long term somehow. It's a pipe dream but I don't care.....we have the leagues best WR core. Period.

CoachChaz
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
I dont know that there is necessarily criticism of Decker as it is "balancing reality". Many people...myself included...are not prepared to glorify him becuase he has the 2nd most receiving yards in the NFL. Decker is a good 2nd option on any team. he runs good routes and makes plays, but he certainly has his share of gaffes. Most likely, the pros to his game will dictate a contract that will be well out of our league and he'll be a decent player for some other team next year.

Ravage!!!
10-23-2013, 04:17 PM
He's become a "Go To" receiver for Manning. That says a LOT considering the number of weapons on this team. Don't tell me, for a SECOND that Manning couldn't go to another one of his options if he didn't trust Decker to do his job, and the ONLY reason Manning is going to Decker is because "everyone else" is getting double teamed. Decker runs better routes that DT. What do you suppose gives a WR more separation in the NFL? He has size, he has speed, and he runs crisp routes.

I'm pretty damned glad we have him, and can see why Manning trusts him.

cmc0605
10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
We can quibble over who is better than who, and whether teams are paying more attention to Welker/DT, etc, but the fact is we have a "pick your poison" offense and anyone can ruin the game for you if you forget about them.

DT is physically better than Decker, and if I had to pick where I'm putting my number 1 corner, and to pick who I don't want to run after the catch, I'd rather take away DT..but Eric Decker can run the routes too, and Manning will go to him in any situation (3rd and 6 possession type of catch, a bubble screen, a deep route, etc). I put DT in the same category as the type of guys right behind Calvin Johnson and AJ Green...you can argue how to rank Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, etc but I put DT along with those guys. However, Decker could be a legitimate high-end #2 WR on any team in the NFL, and he's already made a number of big plays. He runs well after the catch and is a good "bad ball" catcher. He runs physical too.

I don't think Peyton really has a favorite target. He's going to go where the matchups are, and I won't pretend Decker and DT get equivalent coverages against them, but I like that both can still take the top off a defense.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Denver Broncos Player Contracts, Salaries

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

Decker's salary puts him #31, out of 60 - DT is 9th, Welker is 12th

I see no problem with the Broncos giving Decker more money.

wayninja
10-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Decker runs better routes that DT. What do you suppose gives a WR more separation in the NFL? He has size, he has speed, and he runs crisp routes.

I dunno, I wouldn't call decker 'speedy'. Not by a long sight. He is big and runs decent routes though, I'll give you that.

As others have pointed out, he has his share of hard-to-hide flaws. He's definitely a good receiver, but as Chaz points out, I'm not ready to anoint him king of the receivers due to his yardage alone.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Sidenote:

They haven't updated Kuper's restructured contract.

CoachChaz
10-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Other than after re-signing other key players...we might not have that much money to give.

Ravage!!!
10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I dunno, I wouldn't call decker 'speedy'. Not by a long sight. He is big and runs decent routes though, I'll give you that.

As others have pointed out, he has his share of hard-to-hide flaws. He's definitely a good receiver, but as Chaz points out, I'm not ready to anoint him king of the receivers due to his yardage alone.

He has plenty of speed. He may not be "welker" Quick..but he consistently is beating defenders deep down the sidelines. I would say that's speed.

As far as anointing him "anything"... I don't think anyone has suggested doing that. But I don't think his yardage is what people like about him. I don't think its the yardage that Manning likes about him. I think the "flaws" are highly exaggerated by some on this board.

wayninja
10-23-2013, 05:19 PM
He has plenty of speed. He may not be "welker" Quick..but he consistently is beating defenders deep down the sidelines. I would say that's speed.

As far as anointing him "anything"... I don't think anyone has suggested doing that. But I don't think his yardage is what people like about him. I don't think its the yardage that Manning likes about him. I think the "flaws" are highly exaggerated by some on this board.

It's very rare to see Decker outrun his defender after making a catch. He may be getting open, but I disagree that it's his speed doing it.

Ravage!!!
10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
It's very rare to see Decker outrun his defender after making a catch. He may be getting open, but I disagree that it's his speed doing it.

Ok..

Dreadnought
10-23-2013, 05:52 PM

He ran a 4.5 40. That's plenty fast.

DenBronx
10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
He's become a "Go To" receiver for Manning. That says a LOT considering the number of weapons on this team. Don't tell me, for a SECOND that Manning couldn't go to another one of his options if he didn't trust Decker to do his job, and the ONLY reason Manning is going to Decker is because "everyone else" is getting double teamed. Decker runs better routes that DT. What do you suppose gives a WR more separation in the NFL? He has size, he has speed, and he runs crisp routes.

Well said.

Says alot about Decker if Manning trust him over Welker, JT and DT.

Route running and solid hands are more important than top end speed, athletic ability or even size. He is aware of where hes supposed to be and what Manning expects out of him.

We might not have all of these guys together much longer so lets just enjoy it while we have it.

wayninja
10-23-2013, 08:59 PM

4.54 to be exact, I'd call that average to slightly below average. He definitely doesn't 'burst' very fast.

But again, I'm not trying to say he's slow, just that he's hardly 'speedy'. DT's 4.38 is significantly faster.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Well said.

Route running and solid hands are more important than top end speed, athletic ability or even size. He is aware of where hes supposed to be and what Manning expects out of him.

We might not have all of these guys together much longer so lets just enjoy it while we have it.

I don't think he was suggesting Manning trusts him more than all of those guys. I think he's saying that if Manning didnt trust him he wouldnt throw him the ball.

SR
10-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Not when the CB covering you runs a 4.3.

Dapper Dan
10-23-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm glad we didn't bench Decker.

DenBronx
10-24-2013, 12:16 AM
4.54 to be exact, I'd call that average to slightly below average. He definitely doesn't 'burst' very fast.

But again, I'm not trying to say he's slow, just that he's hardly 'speedy'. DT's 4.38 is significantly faster.

That's clocked top end speed. Game speed is way differant. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 and he was shorter than Decker. For Deckers size, 4.5 is damn good. I would even say he's quicker than fast because his cuts and breaks are so good which shakes the DBs off and allows him to get more seperation.

I ran a 4.5 and I was blowing by DBs and LBs with no problem at all. 4.5 is NFL speed for a WR and anything above that is just icing on the cake. There are some WRs in the NFL who might run a 4.3 or 4.4 (not much differace and they dont run that the WHOLE game) and they hardly produce on the field. It's one thing to be fresh and run a 4.38 and then go home but when you are running the whole game and still getting alot of seperation in the 4th quarter then your conditioning is what counts, not the quick burst on a track field for less than 5 seconds.

There's so much more to a WR then being significantly .10 secs faster on a track field. Just ask Jerry Rice.

DenBronx
10-24-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't think he was suggesting Manning trusts him more than all of those guys. I think he's saying that if Manning didnt trust him he wouldnt throw him the ball.

Here's his quote, "He's become a "Go To" receiver for Manning. That says a LOT considering the number of weapons on this team. Don't tell me, for a SECOND that Manning couldn't go to another one of his options...."

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Yes, I know what he said. He said 'a' go to receiver, not, 'the' go to receiver.

wayninja
10-24-2013, 02:40 AM
That's clocked top end speed. Game speed is way differant. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 and he was shorter than Decker. For Deckers size, 4.5 is damn good. I would even say he's quicker than fast because his cuts and breaks are so good which shakes the DBs off and allows him to get more seperation.

I ran a 4.5 and I was blowing by DBs and LBs with no problem at all. 4.5 is NFL speed for a WR and anything above that is just icing on the cake. There are some WRs in the NFL who might run a 4.3 or 4.4 (not much differace and they dont run that the WHOLE game) and they hardly produce on the field. It's one thing to be fresh and run a 4.38 and then go home but when you are running the whole game and still getting alot of seperation in the 4th quarter then your conditioning is what counts, not the quick burst on a track field for less than 5 seconds.

There's so much more to a WR then being significantly .10 secs faster on a track field. Just ask Jerry Rice.

You are over-analyzing what I said. Someone characterized decker as 'speedy'. That is simply an exaggeration. That it is all.

You will never convice me that Decker is getting free because of his speed. Never. I count 4.5 as average for the NFL. Being at a position 40 yards down the field 1/10 of a second faster than the guy covering you is what counts as being open due to speed IMO. Everyone who times their 40 is 'fresh' so lets not use that as justification for game speed.

Quit defending the counter position as though I said he was as slow as congress.

If you really run a 4.5 40, then count me as VERY IMPRESSED by how fast you are. I count my 40 speed in terms of how long it takes to eat a row of fig newtons.

DenBronx
10-24-2013, 05:03 AM

You are over-analyzing what I said. Someone characterized decker as 'speedy'. That is simply an exaggeration. That it is all.

You will never convice me that Decker is getting free because of his speed. Never. I count 4.5 as average for the NFL. Being at a position 40 yards down the field 1/10 of a second faster than the guy covering you is what counts as being open due to speed IMO. Everyone who times their 40 is 'fresh' so lets not use that as justification for game speed.

Quit defending the counter position as though I said he was as slow as congress.

If you really run a 4.5 40, then count me as VERY IMPRESSED by how fast you are. I count my 40 speed in terms of how long it takes to eat a row of fig newtons.

I said I ran, not run, as in past tense. I am 37 now and would be lucky to run a 4.7 now. lol

Someone brought up 40 time. My point was 40 time really isnt a factor when you are around a 4.5 or better and have the skill to back it up. Decker is cosiderably fast for his size.

Northman
10-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Well said.

Indeed. For precision QB's its about about being in a certain spot like your supposed to be. While Welker and DT possess more overall talent Decker does the little things that QB's like and appreciate and can count on to be where he is supposed to be. When your a QB throwing to a mark you expect your guy to be there.

DenBronx
10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Indeed. For precision QB's its about about being in a certain spot like your supposed to be. While Welker and DT possess more overall talent Decker does the little things that QB's like and appreciate and can count on to be where he is supposed to be. When your a QB throwing to a mark you expect your guy to be there.

You can't go wrong either way with any of them. As good as any WR is, Manning is going to make them all look that much better. Welker is going to break some personal records under Manning........and just think, he has had Brady throwing to him all of these years. :eek:

Ravage!!!
10-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Actually.. YOu are the only one that used the word speedy. I said that Decker has size, he has speed, and runs crips routes. (quoted below)

But flat out speed rarely gets you open in the NFL. You combine the speed, with the route running, and THAT is what's getting Decker open. He's not slow. He does beat defenders flying down the field...regularly. That's why Manning throws to him down the sidelines as he has 1 v 1 converage. Decker has the speed to keep the defender on his back hip, so that Manning can throw over the top.

wayninja
10-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Actually.. YOu are the only one that used the word speedy. I said that Decker has size, he has speed, and runs crips routes. (quoted below)

You said "He has plenty of speed". I shortened that to 'speedy'.

Ravage!!!
10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
You said "He has plenty of speed". I shortened that to 'speedy'.

:confused: Then tried to argue that I called him "speedy" because I said he has plenty of speed?? Having plenty of speed is accurate. That doesn't make him "speedy" or a "speedster." But he absolutely has plenty of speed.

GEM
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
ffs....arguing over a y in a word. :laugh:

wayninja
10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
:confused: Then tried to argue that I called him "speedy" because I said he has plenty of speed?? Having plenty of speed is accurate. That doesn't make him "speedy" or a "speedster." But he absolutely has plenty of speed.

ok...