PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Homecoming

Buff
10-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I hope he gets a nice ovation and a warm reception from the fans similar to what Peyton received in Indy. I still have a lot of good memories and love for the guy and his perma-tan.

Shazam!
10-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I will never forget and be always appreciative of what Mike Shanahan has done for the Broncos, he transformed the team's identity and culture.

However his time in Denver was done and he was allowed to stay too long.

I hope we kill the Redskins and RG to get to them bye in a good way.

Buff
10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I will never forget and be always appreciative of what Mike Shanahan has done for the Broncos, he transformed the team's identity and culture.

However his time in Denver was done and he was allowed to stay too long.

I hope we kill the Redskins and RG to get to them bye in a good way.

I agree with all of the above. Would you give him a standing O if you were at the game this weekend?

GEM
10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I will give him a standing O when he retires. Until then, he's the enemy.

I love him to death and think he was instrumental in putting Denver on the map, but he's in the opponent's locker room as of now.

Buff
10-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I will give him a standing O when he retires. Until then, he's the enemy.

I love him to death and think he was instrumental in putting Denver on the map, but he's in the opponent's locker room as of now.

Surely we can put that aside for a couple minutes pregame to acknowledge the mastermind behind our two super bowls. Guy is a Denver legend. I hope he is treated accordingly.

slim
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree with all of the above. Would you give him a standing O if you were at the game this weekend?

I don't know about the O, but maybe a pregame handy?

Shazam!
10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes.

aberdien
10-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Love Shanny, he deserves an ovation for how much he did for the Broncos.

Then we can boo him and his shit team.

Dzone
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I thank Mike Shannahan every time I have dinner at his restaurant in DTC and spend money on the good but highly overpriced cuisine. Thanks Mike!

SR
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I thank Mike Shannahan every time I have dinner at his restaurant in DTC and spend money on the good but highly overpriced cuisine. Thanks Mike!

Which restaurant?

Dzone
10-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Which restaurant?
Here you go-The architecture is amazing. Very nice place
http://www.shanahanssteakhouse.com/about-us/

Slick
10-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Buff, i used to stand up and applaud for Greg Biekert and Tyler Brayton when they came to mile high as Raiders. One time, a guy threw a snowball at me and it hit my Mom.

Army Bronco
10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I loved all of our offensive stats during his tenure in Denver. It was great having all those RBs who could rush for over 1000 yards every season. But only 2 Super Bowls? NE had 3. It was time to let him go. We needed a new model.

Dzone
10-21-2013, 08:38 PM
We had to lose shannahan then endure hell with Mcdaniels in order to get Elway and Manning. I guess it was worth it , otherwise we might have been stuck with Cutler

Ziggy
10-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I loved all of our offensive stats during his tenure in Denver. It was great having all those RBs who could rush for over 1000 yards every season. But only 2 Super Bowls? NE had 3. It was time to let him go. We needed a new model.

NE had 3 because Belichick has had Brady for his entire career. Shanny had Elway for the last 3 years of his career and won 2 championships in those 3 years. If he would have been the head coach here earlier on, Denver would be sporting about 5 lombardis.

Dzone
10-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I thought the videogate super bowl really didnt count since they cheated to win..so take away that game and NE only has 2 lombardis that are legit

BroncoWave
10-21-2013, 08:44 PM
NE had 3 because Belichick has had Brady for his entire career. Shanny had Elway for the last 3 years of his career and won 2 championships in those 3 years. If he would have been the head coach here earlier on, Denver would be sporting about 5 lombardis.

Read his post again and compare it to a recent Jim Irsay quote. I don't think he was being serious. ;)

Army Bronco
10-21-2013, 09:25 PM

NE had 3 because Belichick has had Brady for his entire career. Shanny had Elway for the last 3 years of his career and won 2 championships in those 3 years. If he would have been the head coach here earlier on, Denver would be sporting about 5 lombardis.I know brother. Was making fun of Irsay.

Dapper Dan
10-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Shanahan is probably my favorite pro football coach of all time. So I'd be glad to cheer for him. He seems like an okay person. He did a lot for Denver. It's not like he's a Charger, Raider, Chief, Patriot, Steeler, or Raven. I always look at the Skins and Texans games and hope they win as long as they aren't going against Denver. I think it's a little crazy how fans turn on a coach or player just because he isn't on the team anymore. Especially when that coach or player actually did something for the team. Something more than sitting in the bleachers and spending a few bucks.

Jaws
10-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Eagles fans were classy when Reid returned to Philly earlier this season.

I expect Broncos fans will be just the same.

Dapper Dan
10-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Eagles fans were classy when Reid returned to Philly earlier this season.

I expect Broncos fans will be just the same.

One would hope. I honestly hope no one boos him. That would be embarrassing. But I could see it happening.

MOtorboat
10-22-2013, 08:04 AM
One would hope. I honestly hope no one boos him. That would be embarrassing. But I could see it happening.

They have no problem booing their own, undefeated team, so I'd imagine they have no problem booing Shanahan.

atwater27
10-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Love me some Shanahanahanahan!
Anybody boos him, they are bandwagon fans that never liked the Broncos until Peyton showed up.

MasterShake
10-22-2013, 08:19 AM
I would be shocked if the fans booed him. I think all the intervening years with the tear-down by McDaniels and the rebuild the past few seasons has put an ocean between now and any hard feelings towards Shannahan. It will be like any other returning player or coach, nice reception during the pre-game and then roundly screamed at and booed during the game. We have classy fans out here overall, though some of them are dumb as bricks when they try to do the wave or get up to go to the bathroom/get beer every five ******* minutes during offensive drives like the ******** I sat next to last time.

Buff
10-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 10m

Shanahan, laughing: "I hope they don't boo me. I don't think I did anything wrong to get booed. I didn't leave, they fired me."

Timmy!
10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
He will get a nice standing ovation when he is introduced. He deserves it. Then the Broncos will have that vein in his forehead about to explode by halftime.

MOtorboat
10-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 10m

Shanahan, laughing: "I hope they don't boo me. I don't think I did anything wrong to get booed. I didn't leave, they fired me."

Is drafting Cutler a booable offense?

Buff
10-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Yes, and so are some of his free agent signings, but not on Sunday.

MasterShake
10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Dude gave us back to back Super Bowls and had a killer year round tan. He gets a lifelong pass from me!

Buff
10-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Dude gave us back to back Super Bowls and had a killer year round tan. He gets a lifelong pass from me!

His hair and his tan both get a little bit darker each year too. I respect him for that.

MasterShake
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
His hair and his tan both get a little bit darker each year too. I respect him for that.

Yes, he has some weird Benjamin Button thing going on. Pretty soon he will look like someone from India and have to change his name to Mike Shyamalan.

PatriotsGuy
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I hope for old times sake he gets another win at mile high

Buff
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM

G-T-F-O. TIA. BBQSauce.

PatriotsGuy
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh I see how it is, I'm not allowed to show a little appreciation to Mike

Buff
10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Oh I see how it is, I'm not allowed to show a little appreciation to Mike

Tell us your favorite Mike Shanahan memory, PAG.

PatriotsGuy
10-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Tell us your favorite Mike Shanahan memory, PAG.

I don't have any but I love the fact that he always keeps me guessing as to what he is looking at.

Buff
10-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't have any but I love the fact that he always keeps me guessing as to what he is looking at.

You know, PAG, call me crazy but I'm getting the feeling you don't really even like Mike Shanahan.

PatriotsGuy
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
You know, PAG, call me crazy but I'm getting the feeling you don't really even like Mike Shanahan.

You can't prove that.

MOtorboat
10-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Remember when Shanahan traded an overrated running back for the greatest cornerback of all time and then said cornerback intercepted Tom Brady and ran it back for a 99 yard touchdown in a playoff game?

Oh man. Good times, good times.

MasterShake
10-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Remember when Shanahan traded an overrated running back for the greatest cornerback of all time and then said cornerback intercepted Tom Brady and ran it back for a 99 yard touchdown in a playoff game?

Well, almost a touchdown but still good memories!

Buff
10-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Never gets old. It still bugs me how he had two Broncos running down the sideline with him and neither of them block Ben Watson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G9139DXvNY

tripp
10-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Was that on purpose to try and sound like Jim Irsay? Hahaha.

tripp
10-23-2013, 02:25 PM
I miss Shanahan's WCO. Jake Plummer's boot leg to Rod Smith for a 40 yd pass is what dreams were made of. He could've made Cutler a better QB than he is now. And of course his uncanny ability to find RB's in the late rounds and make them rush for 1,000+ yds.

tripp
10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Never gets old. It still bugs me how he had two Broncos running down the sideline with him and neither of them block Ben Watson.

Aw 0:39 Darrent Williams <3

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
my favorite shanahan memory is handing brady his first playoff loss, effectively ending the patriots dynasty. brady hasnt won since.

Army Bronco
10-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Was that on purpose to try and sound like Jim Irsay? Hahaha.lol...Yes Sir!

GEM
10-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Nice goin, Foxy Foxworth.

GEM
10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Vic Lombardi said this morning they have a 19 second video montage prepared for Shanny before the game.

wayninja
10-24-2013, 02:54 AM
I've met and talked to Shanahan several times at Del Frisco's. He's a good guy, and I have a lot of respect for him.

Having said that, I hope we shame him to near suicide this week. He's fantastic and brought several lombardi's home, but we definitely want his children to feel like oprhans come Monday.

Hawgdriver
10-24-2013, 05:02 AM

Upon reflection, wait, I'm not sure, but probably.

Hawgdriver
10-24-2013, 05:06 AM

Oh, pag's waggery.

EastCoastBronco
10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
We had to lose shannahan then endure hell with Mcdaniels in order to get Elway and Manning. I guess it was worth it , otherwise we might have been stuck with Cutler

It will be worth it when there is another Lombardi in the case at Dove Valley.
I'd trade Fox for Shanny in a heartbeat.

Skinny
10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
He helped orchestrate the greatest day in Broncos history, January 25th, 1998. Greatest day in my sports life. He'll get a standing ovation from me. I may even shed a tear.

TXBRONC
10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I thought the videogate super bowl really didnt count since they cheated to win..so take away that game and NE only has 2 lombardis that are legit

IIRC the Patriots carried on that practice for well past their last Super Bowl win in fact they had years of tape but Goodell decided to sweep it under the rug.

Lancane
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
It will be worth it when there is another Lombardi in the case at Dove Valley.
I'd trade Fox for Shanny in a heartbeat.

As a coach I'd take Shanahan over Fox in a heartbeat. But the problem with Mike Shanahan wasn't his coaching ability but that he was a control freak when in Denver and held far too much power. If he would have been simply a Head Coach like Fox with limited influence in the organization and had a true General Manager above him in the hierarchy then he'd likely still be here and Denver would probably have a couple other Lombardi Trophies in the case. As for Fox, he's a better coach then I gave him credit for, but he seems more hands-off then I would like, Del Rio has complete control of the defense and Fox has little to nothing to do with the offense, which means that his success or lack thereof will ride on the ability of the Front Office to acquire talent and of his coordinators doing their jobs correctly.

Buff
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
As a coach I'd take Shanahan over Fox in a heartbeat. But the problem with Mike Shanahan wasn't his coaching ability but that he was a control freak when in Denver and held far too much power. If he would have been simply a Head Coach like Fox with limited influence in the organization and had a true General Manager above him in the hierarchy then he'd likely still be here and Denver would probably have a couple other Lombardi Trophies in the case. As for Fox, he's a better coach then I gave him credit for, but he seems more hands-off then I would like, Del Rio has complete control of the defense and Fox has little to nothing to do with the offense, which means that his success or lack thereof will ride on the ability of the Front Office to acquire talent and of his coordinators doing their jobs correctly.

Fox is painfully conservative. Shanny was a riverboat gambler. That, to me, is the thing I miss most about Shanny. He was always willing to take risks - Fox is anti-risk at all costs.

tomjonesrocks
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't know if anyone (Carol?) posted this already--but I thought it was kind of cool for a fluff piece. Sorry if it's a dupe post.

Ex-Broncos coach Mike Shanahan hopes Denver won't boo him
http://www.elpasotimes.com/highschoolsports/ci_24373358/ex-broncos-coach-mike-shanahan-hopes-denver-wont

I'd never boo Shanny.

tripp
10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I think I may be one of the few fans out there who wouldn't have minded if Cutler was still our QB before we had Manning. Obviously I'd take Manning over Cutler, but before that I was quite happy him being our QB for the foreseeable future. We had the #1 Offense under Shanny, granted our defense was terrible.. but what's the difference now?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Video - RG111 - he starts out talking about being a Broncos' fan growing up.

http://prod.www.redskins.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-events/article-1/Watch-Post-Practice-Press-Conferences/2d2994e5-f4c3-4888-ae54-2c499565194a