PDA

View Full Version : Klis: The Broncos Needed This Loss

rationalfan
10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I think the "this team needed to lose" maxim is an over-used cliche to rationalize a loss as a teachable moment. In reality, does a good team ever "need" to lose? I don't think so. But this part of Klis' blog post struck a chord:

"The Broncos needed this loss. Now they understand there are limits to how far a quarterback can carry a team. Now they know the issues that have been there all season — specifically a below-average defense and running game — can cost them in the end, instead of having those problems masked by Peyton Manning and an offense that was scoring 44 points a game."

Looking back at the playoff loss to Baltimore, that's kind of what the game feels like to me upon reflection: a bunch of players going "wait, what? manning isn't killing it? what happened?" shellshock.

Maybe. Maybe not. It's an interesting thought, nonetheless. Here's the full post:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/21/sorry-pat-bowlen-but-your-broncos-needed-this/22578/

Dzone
10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Interesting. Well, a loss definitely shows some serious flaws. A couple weeks ago it was a foregone conclusion that Del Rio was gone to a head coaching job next year and we would be in search of a new DC. Hmmmm wonder how much that will change if this D continues to flounder...Not all JDRs fault, but...

MasterShake
10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
My bottom line in this game was not necessarily that the Broncos needed to lose, but deserved to. They came out arrogant and unfocused for good chunks of the game and only got their act together when it was too late. Good teams complement each other in all three phases instead of using the dominant aspects as a crutch (which lately has been special teams and offense).

Still I think these are easily addressed issues that come with focus and getting players healthy. Once that happens discipline will take care of the costly turnovers and mental errors. I just hope it happens in a sustained way otherwise it will be another short playoff run. I think these guys know what to do after last season, this game was just a friendly reminder.

G_Money
10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
We got better when Champ left. We'll be better still when Woodyard is back in the middle (he makes that pick, for instance). As Miller gets into game shape and not just gym shape it'll improve too.

*shrugs* I would have liked an ugly win, but a close loss that we dealt ourselves is not all bad.

It helps the receivers figure out how to beat that kind of physical press coverage that some of our future playoff contenders can deal us. It lets us know before the playoffs not to trust Hillman with a stale peppermint.

And it reminds the team that 4 turnovers (yes, the safety counts even if for some reason the box score doesn't reflect the sack-fumble as a turnover) make it really hard to win ballgames.

Coaches need to make better, faster adjustments. Players need to keep their heads in the game and not make stupid penalties repeatedly. If we play more games like that one, we're likely to lose them too.

But we barely lost a game we had no business being in. I'll take that as a positive from the loss and now hope we can somehow sweep KC.

Because I will be REALLY pissed off if we're the #5 seed because of this loss at the end of the regular season. Whoever plays us will be pissed off too, though... :lol:

~G

Dzone
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Who was Welker referencing when he said some guys need to grow up?

Buff
10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
If we go on to win the division I might agree. But at this point I am genuinely concerned about the o-line and defense - so I just hope that we look back at it as a learning experience more than the night when the tides started to turn.

Northman
10-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Uh Klis, the should of learned that last year after Bmore came in and ripped the defense a new ass.

rationalfan
10-21-2013, 02:38 PM
We got better when Champ left.

if my memory of the game's timeline is accurate, i think that had more to do with the broncos offense not puking three-and-outs than bailey somehow being the bane of the defense. it's hard to keep up to receivers when you're on the field for 90 percent of a quarter.

Northman
10-21-2013, 02:42 PM
if my memory of the game's timeline is accurate, i think that had more to do with the broncos offense not puking three-and-outs than bailey somehow being the bane of the defense. it's hard to keep up to receivers when you're on the field for 90 percent of a quarter.

Problem is Champ has been struggling for a while, it was clearly evident last year in the playoffs. Whether its a lingering injury or just age he isnt the same guy and chances are QB's have been staying away from him based on his reputation. But the more and more QB's start to burn him and look his way the more he gets exposed. I love the guy but i dont he is near as good as he was even two years ago.

camdisco24
10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure we "needed" to lose, but I get that angle.

I will say, we NEEDED to play a physical defense like the Colts to show our WR's how good teams cover. They haven't dealt with that all season really. This was a wake up call for what's to come against seriously good teams that we will (assumingly...) face in the playoffs.

Good teams learn from losses and recover with a vengeance. We need to come out blazing against Shanny and the Skins.

tripp
10-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I was listening to the radio 104.3 the fan, and they said they had asked Welker "Is a lot of pressure off your chest now that you lost a game mid way through the season?" and he said "Yeah it helps to take the pressure off, and some players need to grow up". This was paraphrased but you get the idea. They had talked about this on the radio, and it seems like some Broncos have a nonchalant attitude and they needed a loss to make them wake up.

Shazam!
10-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Nothing good comes out of losing. Nothing.

Nomad
10-21-2013, 05:57 PM
If we go on to win the division I might agree. But at this point I am genuinely concerned about the o-line and defense - so I just hope that we look back at it as a learning experience more than the night when the tides started to turn.

I agree. This wasn't a loss because Denver is full of themselves, but there have been glaring problems the last 3 games and Indy is a playoff caliber team. If they can get through the The Washington Football Team game with a W and regroup in the bye.

BroncoWave
10-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Nothing good comes out of losing. Nothing.

Could not disagree more with this. Losing a game like this in the regular season can force players who were becoming complacent to regain that focus and avoid mistakes that could cost the team in a bigger game down the road. I don't see how you can say nothing good comes from losing. Losing caused adversity, and facing adversity can be the kick in the pants a team needs sometimes.

Look at the Ravens last season. Do you not think that us kicking their ass in Baltimore last season didn't get them even more fired up to come out and beat us in the playoffs? Had they won that game, maybe they don't have the same intensity against us in the playoffs and they come up short. That loss was probably good for them in the long run.

Shazam!
10-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Different setting now than Playoffs last year. They're in Chase for the division.

turftoad
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM

I agree my young friend. When you are in a battle for the division, every win counts. The Chefs, like it or not, are tuff this year. They have one of the best young "D"s in the league. They have a game on us already. I am also worried about the O line and the "D". We need to shape up.

BroncoWave
10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Different setting now than Playoffs last year. They're in Chase for the division.

Yes, losing hurts us in the division race. But to say that no positives whatsoever can be taken from a game in which you lose it a little extreme.

Dzone
10-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe the loss will make Decker go after the ball instead of trying to get an interference call by not even reaching for the ball...there were a couple plays when Decker had dinosaur arms...
Yes yes yes, nobody could have caught it ya yadayda...

Jaws
10-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Had the Chiefs lost a game or two this season I might be inclined to agree with Klis.
Oh well, we'll just have to beat them twice and beat practically everyone else to conquer the West.

Northman
10-22-2013, 05:31 AM
I agree. This wasn't a loss because Denver is full of themselves, but there have been glaring problems the last 3 games and Indy is a playoff caliber team. If they can get through the The Washington Football Team game with a W and regroup in the bye.

^This

Lancane
10-22-2013, 06:25 AM
The Broncos needed it? And I happen to concur, I think the front office and coaching staff, not to mention the offensive line and whole defense needed it as well. They are not good enough, not even close as they are right now.