PDA

View Full Version : That safety

GEM
10-20-2013, 11:45 PM
My boy and I are having a discussion. He said that safety should have been a td. I told him that because the ball was lost in the end zone and picked up in the end zone, there was no advancement, it can't be a td, hence the safety. In order for a td, the ball has to be advanced into the end zone. Am I correct in this explanation?

BroncoWave
10-20-2013, 11:46 PM
From my understanding, it was called a safety because his shoulder was touching out of bounds when he got possession of the ball. That's what the announcers were saying. Remember there was a review. There would have been no review if he could not have possibly gotten a TD.

Dzone
10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I think they ruled the guy out of bounds, which made it a safety. Had he re4ecovered in the end zone, it w2ould have been a td...you dont have to advance the ball into the end zone...You can fall on the ball and it is a td.

G_Money
10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
It was a safety because the Colt defender didn't get control of the ball til his shoulder was out of bounds. Offense losing the ball out of bounds in the end zone = safety, just like kicking a blocked punt out the back.

~G

GEM
10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
OK thanks. I wasn't sure what the outcome of the review was.

DenBronx
10-21-2013, 12:04 AM
It was a safety because the Colt defender didn't get control of the ball til his shoulder was out of bounds. Offense losing the ball out of bounds in the end zone = safety, just like kicking a blocked punt out the back.

~G

This ^^^^

Not only just the shoulder but they were even saying his hair was also out of bounds by the time he fully got possesion. He has really long dreads which was on the white part out of bounds. ANY body part or part of your gear touching the white is considered out. The ball was clearly still moving until he was out...so safety it was.

Still sucks cuz they got two and then pucnhed it in for 7 right away. That play cost us 9 points.

CrazyHorse
10-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Since it went out of bounds shouldn't it have been a touch back for us?:confused:

DenBronx
10-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Since it went out of bounds shouldn't it have been a touch back for us?:confused:

A Colt was the last one to touch it.

Maybe it's a safety either way if it goes out of the endzone....not sure though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-21-2013, 12:21 AM
The only way it would be a touchback is if the Colts gained possession and then fumbled it out of bounds.

DenBronx
10-21-2013, 12:25 AM
The only way it would be a touchback is if the Colts gained possession and then fumbled it out of bounds.

If they gain possesion then it's 7 automatically. He never did gain possesion and slid out of bounds.

CrazyHorse
10-21-2013, 12:27 AM

I see. Only full possession can change impetus.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-21-2013, 12:36 AM
If they gain possesion then it's 7 automatically. He never did gain possesion and slid out of bounds.

Correct. ...

Mr Bojangles
10-21-2013, 09:27 AM
My boy and I are having a discussion. He said that safety should have been a td. I told him that because the ball was lost in the end zone and picked up in the end zone, there was no advancement, it can't be a td, hence the safety. In order for a td, the ball has to be advanced into the end zone. Am I correct in this explanation?

Because his hair/shoulder was out of bounds as he got possession, it is the same as if the ball was fumbled and then rolled out of the side of the end zone, untouched. Had it been recovered in bounds, it would have been a TD.

Also, had it rolled out of the back of the end zone, I believe it would have been a touchback!

BroncoJoe
10-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Because his hair/shoulder was out of bounds as he got possession, it is the same as if the ball was fumbled and then rolled out of the side of the end zone, untouched. Had it been recovered in bounds, it would have been a TD.

Also, had it rolled out of the back of the end zone, I believe it would have been a touchback!

Nope - still would have been a safety.

Mr Bojangles
10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Nope - still would have been a safety.

Are you absolutely certain, Joe?

I seem to remember a play from last year where there was a question of where a fumbled ball rolled out of the end zone.....out the side, or out the back end....and it made a difference on how it was scored or placed.

BroncoJoe
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM

I seem to remember a play from last year where there was a question of where a fumbled ball rolled out of the end zone.....out the side, or out the back end....and it made a difference on how it was scored or placed.

In the situation we're discussing, it would have been a safety either way. If the other team somehow gained possession outside of the endzone, then fumbled out of the endzone then it would be a touchback.

NightTrainLayne
10-21-2013, 12:07 PM

You're all turned around. If the Broncos had fumbled it into the Colts endzone from outside the endzone and it rolled out of the endzone, then it would be a touchback for the Colts.

But in no way can a team fumble a ball through either the side or the back of their own endzone and get a touchback! Good grief. That would mean that we would have a net gain of 15 yards on the play (play started at around the 5, touchback would put it on the 20). . . I'd fumble it out of the back of the endzone every time! Unless, you somehow mean touchback to give the Colts the ball at their 20, 60 yards away. That is equally wrong.

OrangeHoof
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I thought if it wasn't an incomplete pass, it should have been a touchdown. The Colt double-clutching the ball probably convinced the refs he didn't have complete possession until part of him was out of bounds.

MOtorboat
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
That safety...sucked!

BroncoNut
10-21-2013, 12:48 PM

I don't think you are right GEm. the reason it was a safety and not a td is because the ball was recovered out of bounds. it is clearly a safety because the free ball was was so in the endzone. I dont' think the recovery was out of bounds though personally. thought it should have been a td.