PDA

View Full Version : Batman- Arkham Asylum

Shazam!
09-08-2009, 01:12 AM
In Arkham Asylum, as Superman...

Just kidding. In Batman- Arkham Asylum (AA), you are Batman, imprisoned in the vast expanses of Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane in a trap set by the Joker, it is up to you to make your way through the giant complex and stop him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Arkham_Asylum.jpg

AA is the best superhero/comic themed game I've played since Spiderman 2 for the last generation of consoles came out way back in 2003. Still, AA is probably the best ever. You don't have to be a Batman nut to enjoy it either, though a little familiarity with some of the secondary characters in the Batman universe wouldn't hurt.

The graphics in AA are fantastic and it shows, not on just Batman and the Joker, but every character. Incredible detail is in every screen. Batman's suit is very detailed down to the rivets, and his cape flows beautifully. AA is dark, dank, foreboding, dangerous, and it shows in every screen.

You gain access as the game goes on to more of Batman's arsenal of tools and gadgets. You start only with batarangs and the grappling hook but more are unlocked as the game goes on, including health upgrades and fighting moves.

Combat is simple, but fluid and deep. There are all kinds of parries, combos, stuns, feints, throws, etc. all in a simplistic system. You'll never confuse it with Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, but you'll never feel overwhelmed either. You can fight from the shadows too, there is a large emphasis on stealth in the game especially as it goes on, so attacking from darkness is not only encouraged, it's delightful to do as you up your Batskills.

The story is classic Batman and is dark and edgy. The Joker is hilarious. It's definitely a strong game for it's T for Teen rating. This isn't Batman- The Animated Series, but it isn't The Dark Knight either.

The voiceacting is absolutely stellar and so is every aspect of the sound.

All cutscenes use the in game graphics which are beautiful themselves.

AA is a top notch product, and the level of polish is seen in every screen on every level. When they delayed this game back in May, I hoped it was the good kind of delay, and it was.

You don't have to be a junior Gotham crime buff to enjoy AA, but if you are then this is a must have. It's too good for even casual fans to miss, and if you never played a superhero/comic game, AA is the best place to start. This game is great. I highly recommend this game. Definitely a contender for Game of the Year.

Rated T for Teen- Alcohol/Tobacco reference, blood, violence, mild language, suggestive themes

MasterShake
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Its a great game for sure! I like how the guards start panicking as you pick them off one by one from the shadows. Didn't care for the ending much, but overall a great game.

Shazam!
09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Didn't care for the ending much, but overall a great game.

I just finished it, so, so good.

I thought the ending was decent enough and didn't feel like it was a letdown at least. I played a lot of games with terrible endings. It did work. When you total all the cutscenes and all it's good.

The game oozes and drips polish and quality the entire game.

I must admit though, I was growing a little bored of it towards the end and wanted to finish it, but still a great game and one or the best of the year thus far.

If this doesn't earn multiplatform game of the year, they shouldn't give that awarded title to any game.

Eidos and other developers should take some ques from AA. We need more games like this. Their tired Tomb Raider franchise could learn from this game.

I hope there will be a sequel, it ended like there would.

I'm gonna try to return it for Wet tomorrow, and I'll post my review for that too.

Thnikkaman
09-17-2009, 01:54 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/926-Batman-Arkham-Asylum

MasterShake
09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I just finished it, so, so good.

I thought the ending was decent enough and didn't feel like it was a letdown at least. I played a lot of games with terrible endings. It did work. When you total all the cutscenes and all it's good.

The game oozes and drips polish and quality the entire game.

I must admit though, I was growing a little bored of it towards the end and wanted to finish it, but still a great game and one or the best of the year thus far.

If this doesn't earn multiplatform game of the year, they shouldn't give that awarded title to any game.

Eidos and other developers should take some ques from AA. We need more games like this. Their tired Tomb Raider franchise could learn from this game.

I hope there will be a sequel, it ended like there would.

I'm gonna try to return it for Wet tomorrow, and I'll post my review for that too.

The demo of Wet was ok, seems a lot like the Matrix games with better controls.

NameUsedBefore
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Awesome game. I usually go into hyped games with a bit of cynicism since so many "greats" are overrated pieces of Grade-A Mediocre but this was a genuinely solid experience.

Hardwired
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I guess I'm a loser, but I didn't even finish this game. Everything works great until you get into the boss levels where the controls completely change to side-scrolling crap. If you're going to port a game to the PC, do it ALL, not just parts of it. I got so angry and frustrated trying to relearn the controls while under fire I just gave it up while trying to fight the Joker. It's a shame because the main parts of the game were outstanding.

I had the same problem with the controls at the end of Dead Space and gave up on that one too. So I admit my lameness but I don't buy games to be frustrated beyond endurance.

Shazam!
02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
No HW, the moral of the story is don't buy console games for PC and PC games for consoles.

If you don't have a 360 or PS3, I suggest getting one.

Hardwired
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Ha, I have a new 360 gathering dust. I knew better than to buy it but I did and I hate it. I have 15 years invested into using mouse and keyboard controls and this old dog can't figure out the new trick.

Maybe games that don't require aiming would play better but I don't play many of those. I do play Wii games where the controller mimics real-life motions like golf or bowling, but the whole concept of shooting a gun with my thumb(s) doing the aiming is ludicrous. I'm sure it's humorous for anyone watching, but I'm usually swearing at such loud volume no one would want to be close enough to watch. :) The Modern Warfare 2 trick of snapping the aim to the nearest target when I push a button is better than nothing, but it just doesn't work right, or maybe I don't.

So the moral is, don't claim your game runs on a PC if it doesn't. I'm getting a lot pickier reading reviews before I spend money on games for that reason. Consoles are ruining PC gaming. :coffee:

Shazam!
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Consoles are ruining PC gaming.

We are on opposite sides of the coin.

Consoles has produced some great, great games that never would've broken mainstream on PC. While some games on PC don't run well on consoles, mainly RTSs, by and large they can be played on consoles.

the whole concept of shooting a gun with my thumb(s) doing the aiming is ludicrous

I also think that FPSs on PCs are too easy. Simply moving a mouse over a target is child's play and equally ludicrous.

You should meet Tnikkaman. Another PC gaming snob (just kidding lol).

Hardwired
02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
You should meet Tnikkaman. Another PC gaming snob (just kidding lol).

Nah, I'm not a PC snob, I just can't use consoles and I want them to stop messing with my PC games. I remember playing on the original Atari and Nintendo consoles and my son was so young he could barely hold the controller. A few years later on the Sega Saturn he was regularly kicking my ass. I knew then gaming consoles were not my thing. :)

Kids who grew up with them think I'm retarded for not being able to use a controller but my brain was pre-wired before they came out and I didn't evolve the proper reflexes.

I also think that FPSs on PCs are too easy. Simply moving a mouse over a target is child's play and equally ludicrous.

Good lord, dude. Why is it supposed to be hard? I'm just playing games to waste time until I die. I'm married, so I don't need more aggravation.

Shazam!
02-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Not so much hard, but a challenge. There's an accomplishment when you beat hard games or complete some crazy tasks, like breeding a gold Chocobo in FF7, beating Halo on Legendary, etc.

Also some games just don't go as well on a PC. Fighting games are one of the biggest, and a game like Fight Night 3 or 4.