PDA

View Full Version : Bill Polian: I’m not speaking to Jim Irsay and I’m rooting for Denver

DenBronx
10-18-2013, 11:24 PM
When Colts owner Jim Irsay said that cutting Peyton Manning was a step toward building a team that could win more than one championship, it was perceived by many as a shot at Manning. But it was also perceived as a shot at Bill Polian, the man who built the Colts’ rosters during Manning’s time with the team.

Polian sounded like his feelings were hurt in an appearance on SportsCenter today in which he said he and Irsay aren’t speaking. A somewhat awkward exchange between Polian and ESPN’s Sage Steele went like this:

Steele: Have you spoken to Mr. Irsay?
Polian: I have not.
Steele: Do you plan to?
Polian: No.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/18/bill-polian-im-not-speaking-to-jim-irsay-and-im-rooting-for-denver/

DenBronx
10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
MORE FROM ARTICLE:

“My Lord, we won more games for 10 years than any team in the history of the league,” Polian said. “Eleven playoff appearances in 13 years so, you know, that’s the definition of winning.”

Burrrrrrrrrrn!

CrazyHorse
10-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Sounds like Irsay wants to blame the playoff disappointments squarely on Manning. I guess he forgot about the defense that gave up game winning scores and their idiot kicker.

BroncoWave
10-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Sounds like Irsay wants to blame the playoff disappointments squarely on Manning. I guess he forgot about the defense that gave up game winning scores and their idiot kicker.

You must have missed where he clarified his comments and pretty much blamed it squarely on Polian. He said something to the effect of "we didn't win more titles because we didn't put a good defense and special teams around him". That's about as big a shot at the GM as you can make.

CrazyHorse
10-19-2013, 10:05 AM
You must have missed where he clarified his comments and pretty much blamed it squarely on Polian. He said something to the effect of "we didn't win more titles because we didn't put a good defense and special teams around him". That's about as big a shot at the GM as you can make.

Yeah I did miss that. That doesn't give the reason why they wanted to move on from Manning though.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah I did miss that. That doesn't give the reason why they wanted to move on from Manning though.

Well.... Irsay did say that Manning, himself, told the Colts that they just HAD to draft Andrew Luck. He knew they couldn't let that kid pass by, and it would have been stupid for the Colts to. So they made the decision that was best for their franchise. I absolutely, even with Manning playing like he is right now, believe the Colts made the right decision.

Mr Bojangles
10-19-2013, 10:47 AM

They moved on from Manning for two reasons....Time and money.

And given the nature of Manning's injury, it was simply not worth the risk to keep him on that team (Indy) which had so many other needs in other positions. Releasing him and drafting Luck was the best thing that could have happened...for all parties, including Peyton who now has a legitimate shot at another title.

Polian can talk all he wants about how many games his Colts won over the decade, but those teams were definitely not well rounded. As often as I talk about Manning's shortcomings in the post season, Polian has to be considered the biggest post season Jonah of all time, between his record in Indy and Buffalo.

Spiritguy
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
I've been wondering with all this drama how much influence Irsay had in who was drafted / brought in. How much "control" over those decisions did Polian actually have?

Would fit Irsay to tie Polians hands behind his back and now use him as the excuse for their not having more bling.

MOtorboat
10-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I've been wondering with all this drama how much influence Irsay had in who was drafted / brought in. How much "control" over those decisions did Polian actually have?

Would fit Irsay to tie Polians hands behind his back and now use him as the excuse for their not having more bling.

Polian had almost complete control. The interesting thing about Polian is that he built two almost-dynasties, and took three franchises to seven Super Bowls, but has just one ring.

Spiritguy
10-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the insight MO. Looks a bit like the adage close but no cigar for him.

BroncoWave
10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Polian had almost complete control. The interesting thing about Polian is that he built two almost-dynasties, and took three franchises to seven Super Bowls, but has just one ring.

I would say that's just more bad luck than anything. With that kind of success I don't think he has anything at all to prove as a GM.

MOtorboat
10-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I would say that's just more bad luck than anything. With that kind of success I don't think he has anything at all to prove as a GM.

Probably not, but he has been the GM of the Bills and the Colts during their Super Bowl/Contending runs...makes you wonder why they never got over the hump. (The third team is the Panthers).

Broncolingus
10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Jim Irsay fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down...

http://t.qkme.me/3vft6k.jpg

Poet
10-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Polian built a lot of very fine teams for a very long time. He 'should' have more rings, so I guess his reputation is tarnished a bit, but he's one of the best front office guys that I've seen.

I think he's pretty damn awesome.

BroncoWave
10-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Probably not, but he has been the GM of the Bills and the Colts during their Super Bowl/Contending runs...makes you wonder why they never got over the hump. (The third team is the Panthers).

If Scott Norwood makes a FG and Adam Vinateri misses one, he has 3 rings. I just chalk it up to nothing more than bad luck that he only has one ring.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah.. I think that Getting to the Super Bowl is DAMN HARD alone. Winning one just requires to have the right amount of luck and timing for a team. It's like those that want to say Schottenheimer "just cant' win the big game." Brady has three rings won by a TOTAL of 9 points, yet Polian is looked "down" upon because he GM'd teams TO the Super Bowl but his teams couldn't win them all?????? :confused: Get me TO the Super Bowl every time, I'll take that to being the Chiefs.

Poet
10-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah.. I think that Getting to the Super Bowl is DAMN HARD alone. Winning one just requires to have the right amount of luck and timing for a team. It's like those that want to say Schottenheimer "just cant' win the big game." Brady has three rings won by a TOTAL of 9 points, yet Polian is looked "down" upon because he GM'd teams TO the Super Bowl but his teams couldn't win them all?????? :confused: Get me TO the Super Bowl every time, I'll take that to being the Chiefs.

Exactly. He's not a coach. He's not a player. He's a GM. His job is to build a team that is capable of winning a SB. He clearly has succeeded in his job.

Dzone
10-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Army Bronco
10-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I think its crap when people say Irsays comments were taken out of context. Yes he said they wanted to change the model but he specifically mentioned loving Payton, Marvin, and Reggie's Star wars stats but preferred a SB over that. If he meant that they needed a better cast around them then he should have said "that". Polian also built great teams. He picked players capable of reaching the post season . That's what you want. Its up to the players and coaches to actually do that and win. I'm sure teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, Browns, etc would have loved to have teams like the ones Polian built.

BroncoWave
10-20-2013, 07:28 AM
I think its crap when people say Irsays comments were taken out of context. Yes he said they wanted to change the model but he specifically mentioned loving Payton, Marvin, and Reggie's Star wars stats but preferred a SB over that. If he meant that they needed a better cast around them then he should have said "that". Polian also built great teams. He picked players capable of reaching the post season . That's what you want. Its up to the players and coaches to actually do that and win. I'm sure teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, Browns, etc would have loved to have teams like the ones Polian built.

Where is the horrible, outrageous comment here? Wouldn't ANYONE prefer a super bowl over big stats??? How is it so incredibly unbelievable that he meant while offensive stats are great, those teams would have been better had a better defense and ST been put around them. To me, it makes no sense to interpret those comments at some shot at Manning.

olathebroncofan
10-20-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree that what he said isn't bad. I would want rings over stats. I'm sure we all would. That was proved after last year's 11-0 run.

The issue is when he made the comments. The week before Denver comes to town??? He could have said that when they drafted luck. That is the issue.

Army Bronco
10-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Where is the horrible, outrageous comment here? Wouldn't ANYONE prefer a super bowl over big stats??? How is it so incredibly unbelievable that he meant while offensive stats are great, those teams would have been better had a better defense and ST been put around them. To me, it makes no sense to interpret those comments at some shot at Manning.Lol..dude...who ******* said it was outrageous? Its a knock...he didn't call Manning a bitch. A knock is a knock. Doesn't have to be an outrageous knock. "Its great that all of you defend Irsay. We appreciate all your opinions. But they don't matter as much as........blah blah" I shouldn't get anyone here arguing my last line since its not outrageous or bad, right?

Mr Bojangles
10-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Where is the horrible, outrageous comment here? Wouldn't ANYONE prefer a super bowl over big stats??? How is it so incredibly unbelievable that he meant while offensive stats are great, those teams would have been better had a better defense and ST been put around them. To me, it makes no sense to interpret those comments at some shot at Manning.

Those comments were definitely not a shot at Manning, notwithstanding the possibility he could be harboring a little resentment over the missed season (2011).

More likely, those comments were just Jimbo being Jimbo. This is a guy who tweets absurd shit about his own team with fans, to the point that, when Colts' fans quoted the Bozo, I couldn't believe it was for real and that someone was pretending to be 'Jim Irsay'. Definitely wasn't projecting himself with any sense of decorum or professionalism.
This guy was a spoiled little rich kid, the son of a carnival barker and snake-oil salesman, who, while daddy Bob was hustling the Baltimore faithful, was establishing himself as a big party animal and coke head. All that white powder has dulled his senses and, to this day, he continues to blather nonsense.

Mr Bojangles
10-20-2013, 11:07 AM

This picture says it all.