PDA

View Full Version : Colts to have video tribute - not a ceremony - for Peyton Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
from article:

The tribute will take place after the Broncos are introduced and take their place on the sideline. The Colts still will be waiting in the tunnel.

The tribute — the team has emphasized it shouldn’t be categorized as a ceremony — is in line with how other former players have been recognized when they returned to play against the Colts. Previous videos, about a minute in length, have been shown during the returns of Jeff Saturday, Edgerrin James, Nick Harper, David Thornton, Marcus Washington, Kelvin Hayden and Brandon Stokley.

“It’s not like he’s retiring and it’s not a Ring of Honor induction, although that’s certainly in the future,” Ward said. “Now is not the time.

full article - http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?NoCache=1&Dato=20131017&Kategori=SPORTS03&Lopenr=310170051&Ref=AR?odyssey=mod|skybox|text|Indianapolis%20Colt s

Spiritguy
10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
If I remember right they came out and said 20 minutes and ceremony when they talked about it earlier. Now they are saying a couple minutes and not a ceremony. hmmmm Seems like they are either back tracking or their PR dept is a total mess.

wayninja
10-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Back tracking I'd bet. They caught flack for the announcement that the were doing anything at all. So trying to minimize it without looking like liars.

slim
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
They should hang a giant picture of Manning on the side of the stadium

MasterShake
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Back tracking I'd bet. They caught flack for the announcement that the were doing anything at all. So trying to minimize it without looking like liars.

This is almost as weird as Tim Tebow day (er...Florida Gators National Champions Day).

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Peyton is able to quiet down the home "away" crowd with hand motions when he comes up to the line. What a weird game that is going to be.

DenBronx
10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
I think Irsay realizes that he opened his trap too much this week. The Broncos are not interested in his little tribute and I doubt Manning is either. Our boys want to stay focused.

Hopefully, it is only a minute or so long. I bet Irsay had other things planned that he wont do now. Would have been awkward for him if Manning would have stayed in the locker room trying to game plan.

PatriotsGuy
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I hope there's footage of him standing majestically with his cape flowing behind him

Dzone
10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Half the crowd wearing #18 jerseys will be tribute enough. Oh that and keeping quiet for Peyton while he is calling out signals.
Here is Gretzky commenting on Mannings return to Indy-
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-gretzky-manning-20131019,0,3686245.story#axzz2hppkYAfj

wayninja
10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I hope there's footage of him standing majestically with his cape flowing behind him

Would be better than buying a brand new sweater doily and rockin' an MC hammer do.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Tom-Brady-white-sweater.jpg

Ravage!!!
10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I think it was going to be a long tribute, and I also think that the media comment by Irsay, and this "tribute"....is an attempt to get Manning off his game. He knows Manning doesn't want out of his routine. He knows Manning doesn't want the media attention, and this is trying to get Manning OUT of his routine. Make him sit and watch a "tribute" to himself in front of the crowd of fans that have adored him for 15 years.

Now that his comments have backfired, he has to trim down the "tribute" to some highlights. Which really, is stupid to have of the opposing QB.

Joel
10-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I still wonder what the COLTS, particularly Andrew Luck, thought of their boss announcing a 20+ minute tribute to the opposing QB and discussing it all week. It's like saying, "y'know, Andy, if Peyton were 5 years younger we never would've drafted you—now go out there and beat him for the TEAM! :)"

I frankly doubt Manning will give it another thought after the coin toss. It's not like basketball where guys he fed passes for a decade will be trying to block him; he was never on the field with Mathis or the rest except for practicing against each other, so the big difference is they can hit him now. Other than that, he's out there to win games, and that'll be his focus.

SR
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Like in my avatar

Slick
10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I still wonder what the COLTS, particularly Andrew Luck, thought of their boss announcing a 20+ minute tribute to the opposing QB and discussing it all week. It's like saying, "y'know, Andy, if Peyton were 5 years younger we never would've drafted you—now go out there and beat him for the TEAM! :)"

I frankly doubt Manning will give it another thought after the coin toss. It's not like basketball where guys he fed passes for a decade will be trying to block him; he was never on the field with Mathis or the rest except for practicing against each other, so the big difference is they can hit him now. Other than that, he's out there to win games, and that'll be his focus.

Luck has been saying all the right things this week like he always does. It's got to be hard for him.

He is a stud though. I remember all you guys talking about Luck during his college years, back when I had little to no access to college football. Luck this, Luck that. I was like, man, who is this guy? He can't be THAT good. Well, after seeing him play as a pro...you guys were right. Athletic, smart, Colts fans are sooo lucky, no pun intended. If anyone can handle the pressure this week is bringing, it's him.

Having said all that, nobody wants to win more on Sunday than Peyton Manning. I agree, Joel, when they kick it off, Peyton will be all business. I think he's going to have a good game. Steady diet of D Thomas, nobody in the Colts secondary can hang with him. Sunday night can't come soon enough!!

Dzone
10-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Does Indy even have home field advantage for this game? If so, how much? This will be like a home game for Peyton Manning. He knows the place. He is going to kick ass. Star Wars numbers this sunday!!!!
Welker is going to go Old Spice on the indy dbs...if his legs dont get eaten by lizards
PSThat Brady pic in the doily sweater-OMG! Lmao...now I know why you guys call brady a fag...lol...I dont think brady is gay, but he sure looks highly faggy there

Nomad
10-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Luck seems like a player where this doesn't bother him and he's focused on the game on Sunday. He understands what Peyton built in Indy and respects it and the fans that will give him a standing ovation. Both these QBs will be focused and ready, it's the BRONCOS defense that needs to be focused.

Dzone
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Return Of The Jedi! Star Wars!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2013, 08:26 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- There is a picture of Peyton Manning in the rear corner of the Lucas Oil Stadium press box. It's of his back, and he appears to be about to emerge from a tunnel into bright sunshine, the horseshoe still on his helmet, his relationship with the Indianapolis Colts still bathed in light.

It is, aside from the numerous No. 18 jerseys that still dot the backs of fans in the stands and around Indianapolis, one of the few visible reminders of Manning's time with the Colts. The massive picture of him that hung against the façade of the building was pulled down in the days after he was released by the team 19 months ago. It is impossible not to notice that Andrew Luck now is one of the first faces you see when you land in Indianapolis: a floor-to-ceiling shot of his face hawking a brand of speakers is plastered on the wall as you exit the airport terminal.

Manning might prefer that the pictures alone explain the story of the changing of the Colts' guard as the Denver Broncos prepare to play his former team. Then he would not have to talk about how he expects to feel when he enters -- as a visitor -- the stadium whose existence he is almost entirely responsible for. But perhaps the most telling moment of Peyton Manning's you-can't-go-home-again week came Wednesday, when a reporter from Indianapolis asked if he was happy to see the Colts doing well.

rest - interesting - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264951/article/peyton-manning-quiet-ahead-of-indy-return-week-7-storylines

MOtorboat
10-19-2013, 12:15 AM

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/StarWars-ReturnOfTheJedibyJohnAlvin_zps1811a16a.jpg

dogfish
10-19-2013, 02:22 AM
I think it was going to be a long tribute, and I also think that the media comment by Irsay, and this "tribute"....is an attempt to get Manning off his game. He knows Manning doesn't want out of his routine. He knows Manning doesn't want the media attention, and this is trying to get Manning OUT of his routine. Make him sit and watch a "tribute" to himself in front of the crowd of fans that have adored him for 15 years.

Now that his comments have backfired, he has to trim down the "tribute" to some highlights. Which really, is stupid to have of the opposing QB.

one of irsay's "handlers" is going to get fired for not reminding jim to never bring a knife to a gunfight, before the drunken fool tried to get in a battle of wits with PFM. . .

olathebroncofan
10-19-2013, 05:58 AM
They should hang a giant picture of Manning on the side of the stadium

No because we would get out tails beat. Ask the last team who had their qbs mug plastered all over the home teams town and stadium.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2013, 12:40 PM
To prepare for Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis, the Colts' stadium operations department went so far as to research the return of other great athletes in all sports to their former cities, sources close to the team told ESPN.

The one that stood out to the Colts was Wayne Gretzky's return to Edmonton on Oct. 20, 1988, just two months after the Oilers traded him to the Kings. Now Manning is returning to Indianapolis to play the Colts 25 years to the day that Gretzky returned to his former city. Edmonton fans gave Gretzky a four-minute standing ovation. It went on and on, on a night when the Oilers arena was filled with welcome back Gretzky banners, the way the Colts stadium is expected to be Sunday night.

Studying how the Oilers handled it, the Colts are prepared to let the moment freeze tonight, but they don't want it to linger too long and are prepared to cut it off if it does. The Colts also do not plan to introduce Manning as the former Colts quarterback nor the current Broncos quarterback but rather, simply, "four-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9854301/indianapolis-colts-studied-edmonton-oilers-peyton-manning-return-sources

Army Bronco
10-20-2013, 12:58 PM

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/StarWars-ReturnOfTheJedibyJohnAlvin_zps1811a16a.jpgLmao..Mo . this is hilarious!!!!! Especially Decker.

Bronco4ever
10-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Von is nasty.