PDA

View Full Version : Broncos briefs: Champ Bailey's grade for his season debut: "not good"

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2013, 10:26 AM
from article:

"Not good," Bailey said when asked to grade his performance in his debut game this season. "I can't put a letter on it, but it's not up to par for me. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my game. It's something I've been looking at and making sure I get a little better every week."

Bailey, 35, will be matched this weekend against Indianapolis' star receiver, Reggie Wayne.

Wayne turns 35 next month.

"Yeah, we probably have more in common than all these other guys I'm going to be covering this season," Bailey said. "I'm sure I'll call him 'old man' at some point throughout the game."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24334296/broncos-briefs-champ-baileys-grade-his-season-debut

other things besides Champ

igoe4broncos
10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Reggie vs Champ should be fun to watch. Hopefully Champ doesn't re-injure his foot on that turf...it can be rough sometimes.

Ravage!!!
10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Reggie has been playing well, and Champ did NOT look good in last week's game. With TY Hilton on the other side, I think that Hilton's speed will keep our safeties deep (hopefully they are deep enough) leaving Champ to keep up with Wayne a LOT alone. WRs have a HUGE advantage in today's NFL. This will be a tough time for Champ, hopefully he proves to be the guy.

BroncoWave
10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Reggie has been playing well, and Champ did NOT look good in last week's game. With TY Hilton on the other side, I think that Hilton's speed will keep our safeties deep (hopefully they are deep enough) leaving Champ to keep up with Wayne a LOT alone. WRs have a HUGE advantage in today's NFL. This will be a tough time for Champ, hopefully he proves to be the guy.

More important than how Champ plays is the boost that Von will give our pass rush. If we can't pressure Luck, Champ will have no chance back there.

TXBRONC
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
He was rusty and that's to be expected since he hadn't played a single down of football for more than two months. I think he'll be better this week.

Ravage!!!
10-18-2013, 11:20 AM
More important than how Champ plays is the boost that Von will give our pass rush. If we can't pressure Luck, Champ will have no chance back there.

For sure. But that goes for any NFL QB. We made Romo look like a HoF'er because of all the time he had to sit back there and wait for a WR to finally get open.

Broncolingus
10-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Amen, Wave...that's where it all starts.

God love, Champ, but he is getting some years on his bad ole self...

HORSEPOWER 56
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I doubt Champ will be matched up with Wayne. Wayne normally lines up on the defense's right side where DRC plays. Champ will most likely see TY Hilton most of the game. Champ lines up at LCB almost exclusively so he'll be across from Hilton.

That leaves Heyward Bey for Harris.

MOtorboat
10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I doubt Champ will be matched up with Wayne. Wayne normally lines up on the defense's right side where DRC plays. Champ will most likely see TY Hilton most of the game. Champ lines up at LCB almost exclusively so he'll be across from Hilton.

That leaves Heyward Bey for Harris.

Del Rio showed a knack for mixing coverages up last year, i.e., the Carolina game where Bailey exclusively covered Steve Smith. With Wayne this week, and Rodgers-Cromartie's speed I could see that being possible. It's going to be interesting to see if Luck tries to exploit Denver's lack of speed inside with Heyward-Bey and Coby Fleener.

slim
10-18-2013, 05:30 PM
MO, how do you feel about #36?

He makes me feel weak in the knees.

Nomad
10-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Chargers did a damn good job shutting out Hilton compared to the week before against Seattle. Chargers also did a good job putting pressure on Luck, which as we all know is the key.

MOtorboat
10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
MO, how do you feel about #36?

He makes me feel weak in the knees.

Do I think he can cover the speed of Heyward-Bey? No. Now, Heyward-Bey can't run a route to save his life, so Webster or Harris might have him there.

He's made some plays. I'm not overly comfortable with any of the secondary right now, but that could be because so many starters are missing everywhere. It really would be nice to have Woodyard and Ayers back to go with Miller.

MOtorboat
10-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Chargers did a damn good job shutting out Hilton compared to the week before against Seattle. Chargers also did a good job putting pressure on Luck, which as we all know is the key.

The Colt's offensive line blows. If Miller is going to go off in his first game back, this is the right team for it to be against.

slim
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Do I think he can cover the speed of Heyward-Bey? No. Now, Heyward-Bey can't run a route to save his life, so Webster or Harris might have him there.

He's made some plays. I'm not overly comfortable with any of the secondary right now, but that could be because so many starters are missing everywhere. It really would be nice to have Woodyard and Ayers back to go with Miller.

Especially Woodyard.

Nomad
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
The Colt's offensive line blows. If Miller is going to go off in his first game back, this is the right team for it to be against.

As long as Luck can't/doesn't step up in the pocket.

Slick
10-18-2013, 05:41 PM
When they're in man to man I hope DRC is on Hilton and Champ on Wayne. I don't think Champ has the wheels to run with Hilton, especially coming off that foot injury.

MOtorboat
10-18-2013, 05:42 PM
As long as Luck can't/doesn't step up in the pocket.

They'll adjust. Miller runs stunts and spin moves just as well as he runs the speed outside rush.

Nomad
10-18-2013, 05:45 PM
They'll adjust. Miller runs stunts and spin moves just as well as he runs the speed outside rush.

I hope so. I thought the Colts oline looked pretty good against Seattle.

Joel
10-18-2013, 08:31 PM
When they're in man to man I hope DRC is on Hilton and Champ on Wayne. I don't think Champ has the wheels to run with Hilton, especially coming off that foot injury.
That makes the most sense: Strength against strength. Hilton can't outrun DRC and Wayne can't take Champ to school; whether Hilton can outrun Champ or Wayne take DRC to school is another matter. To be honest, especially considering the Jags had a backup QB and the leagues worst offense, I was a little concerend about DRC last week, too. He's got the skills and ability, but the knock on him the last few years has been consistency; he's seldom average, usually either very good or very bad. If he's the latter Sunday, well, that would suck.