PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defensive end Malik Jackson steps up to impress teammates

Traveler
10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere.

Jackson hopes to duplicate or improve on that performance when Manning returns to the town he played in for 14 years before joining the Broncos in 2012.

Jackson made seven tackles, three for losses, sacked Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne twice, and had two quarterback hurries and a pass defense on the way to earning his team's defensive game ball.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24318029/broncos-defensive-end-malik-jackson-steps-up-impress

If he continues to play as well as he did against the JAX, he might make Ayers expendable after the season. Agree or disagree?

broncofaninfla
10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Very happy with how he's coming on. Not sure if I'd cut ties with Ayers yet. Keep him if he's cheap, he's def not worth big money.

Traveler
10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Very happy with how he's coming on. Not sure if I'd cut ties with Ayers yet. Keep him if he's cheap, he's def not worth big money.

The team will have a lot of tough decisions to make after the season is over and I'm not sure Ayers is one of their priorities.

Davii
10-17-2013, 10:16 AM
It won't be whether he makes Ayers expendable, it's whether or not Ayers makes himself indispensable, and what price point he is willing to play at.

Malik looked great, hopefully he keeps it up and looks even better. 2 sacks in three plays sure was nice.

topscribe
10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't believe that it's practical to think about jettisoning Ayers, now that
he is finally beginning to justify his draft status. If Malik comes on, that
means the D-line has become deeper.

Think about the year the Giants spoiled NE's perfect record and beat them
in the Super Bowl. A huge factor in winning the game was the depth in the
D-line. Denver is finally appearing to get that. To me, Ayers' value will not
be affected by the emergence of any other player. The way he can seal the
edge on the running game and how he has progressed as a pass rusher
makes him the type of player I would want to keep. He might ultimately be
a CAP casualty, but that is the only way I could let let him go.

Dzone
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Malik has been impressive. So has Ayers.

Traveler
10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't believe that it's practical to think about jettisoning Ayers, now that
he is finally beginning to justify his draft status. If Malik comes on, that
means the D-line has become deeper.

Think about the year the Giants spoiled NE's perfect record and beat them
in the Super Bowl. A huge factor in winning the game was the depth in the
D-line. Denver is finally appearing to get that. To me, Ayers' value will not
be affected by the emergence of any other player. The way he can seal the
edge on the running game and how he has progressed as a pass rusher
makes him the type of player I would want to keep. He might ultimately be
a CAP casualty, but that is the only way I could let let him go.

I hear you. Just not sure Elway & Company are willing to tie up a lot of money in him. I'm guessing Ayers only remains if he agrees to a salary less than the going rate for DE's. While he is improving as a player, he is not the elite type of DE, thus undeserving of that type of contract. The depth on this team speaks well of what the FO has done thus far in selecting and developing players. Again, tough decisions for Elway as he has to weigh the value of keeping a player like Ayers against the improvement of Jackson and the potential Quanterus Smith.

G_Money
10-17-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm not a fan of paying Ayers a ton of money when he only shows up at contract time. That was a Shanahan thing, signing a FA who had one good contract year to big money, then cutting him once he came in fat, lazy and stupid after punching fools in a Waffle House or whatever.

Ayers had one good year in college: his last one, when it mattered for draft status. Success! He got up to the first round with his potential and that performance. He then came into the league and did nothing for years, and in fact got in Del Rio's doghouse for being a lazy SOB. Now that it's a contract year, he's showing up with consistently great performances and effort. So success again!

It's just a matter of whether you buy into him finding his effort switch and getting better, or if it's a mirage. DL take a while to get good, so this wouldn't be unusual... but I have an easier time believing that guys with a motor find skill and harness talent a few years into their careers. Betting on a guy who's demonstrated a lackluster motor to suddenly find it is tougher for me.

Moreno did it, but he's a running back. I'm not paying Ayers top dollars to retain him based on this year's showing. I'd like him back at this point, to see if he can keep this up, but if somebody is gonna pay him top dollar then I'd rather see what Q has at the position, and let Malik (another talented guy who DOES have a motor and was simply raw) continue to grow. O.

You can never have too many quality DL, but you can overpay mediocre guys and get your team in trouble doing it. For a reasonable salary, Ayers can come back. Otherwise, let Malik and Q and Wolfe and Von and whoever hoist the next trophy (Ayers is getting one this year, right? :D ).

~G