PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 NBA Thread

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Watch.

Enjoy.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9752786/bill-jalen-nba-preview-grantland-channel

Buff
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
The Heat will win the Finals in 6 games over the Thunder... Sooo, that should pretty much wrap things up then.

Mods, please close this thread.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Fine. I will discuss the NBA amongst myself, then.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 02:37 PM
BALTIMORE -- Mike Woodson wants Carmelo Anthony to focus on the Knicks this season, not on his pending free agency.

"If he's going to test it, he's got to test it. That's on him," Woodson said on Thursday. "But at this point he's got to worry about this season and this season only because that's what's staring him in the face."

Anthony has indicated that he will opt out of the final season of his contract with the Knicks and test free agency this summer.

rest - http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9839692/new-york-knicks-coach-mike-woodson-wants-carmelo-anthony-just-play

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Dwight Howard still has fond memories of his time with the Orlando Magic. But the All-Star center evidently is upset that the Magic are allowing someone else to wear his number.

Howard, who wore No. 12 during his eight seasons with Orlando, told the Orlando Sentinel that he is disappointed the Magic granted Tobias Harris' request to wear the number.

"I just think that despite whatever happened, there was a lot of things that I did and that we did as a team, and that number was special down there," Howard told the Sentinel. "And I was a little bit upset about that."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9834281/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-upset-tobias-harris-orlando-magic-wears-no-12-jersey

Let's see - he got a coach fired, he forced his way out, and for that, the team should retire his number :eek:

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Dear Carmelo,

I know I had a hard time corralling the Lakers' superstars and the Cavs' superstars when I was in the those two places, but if you could not focus so much on your impending free agency, your wife, your shoe line, your clothing line and your reality show I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Mike Woodson.

Dear Mike,

Don't be hatin'.

Sincerely,
Carmelo.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Interesting anecdote on today's Simmons and Rose podcast...he thought Allen Crabbe should have been a Nugget...I'd been saying that the whole pre-draft period...

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/78538/bill-and-jalens-nba-preview-portland-trail-blazers

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Have those Simmons/Rose podcasts been good Mo? I've been considering watching some of them.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Have those Simmons/Rose podcasts been good Mo? I've been considering watching some of them.

Love 'em. I found them yesterday listened to all of them last night. It's just so off the cuff, but it's still informative. Both guys know their stuff so well.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Basketball is definitely Simmons' forte. I like his football stuff too, but his constant anti-Manning and anti-Broncos stances wear a little thin on me. His basketball writing is definitely his best stuff.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Basketball is definitely Simmons' forte. I like his football stuff too, but his constant anti-Manning and anti-Broncos stances wear a little thin on me. His basketball writing is definitely his best stuff.

He's basically ESPN's top basketball analyst this year.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok, so I watched their 76ers preview and I am definitely hooked now. Can't wait to watch the rest of these.

Buff
10-17-2013, 08:44 PM

I live for the Monday BS Reports where he and Cousin Sal guess the NFL lines. That's my favorite Simmons. And I love his mailbags. I learn a lot from his NBA coverage, whereas I feel like he's sometimes disconnected from reality in football. His analysis isn't as spot on.

Buff
10-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Ok, so I watched their 76ers preview and I am definitely hooked now. Can't wait to watch the rest of these.

Jalen is an amazing talent. I always want to hear what he has to say.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I live for the Monday BS Reports where he and Cousin Sal guess the NFL lines. That's my favorite Simmons. And I love his mailbags. I learn a lot from his NBA coverage, whereas I feel like he's sometimes disconnected from reality in football. His analysis isn't as spot on.

I love his guess the lines feature as well. Their thing this year where Bill calls him "Mike" and they start talking like hack local radio sports DJs cracks me up every time. I also love it when Sal does the fake Simmons phone call.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Jalen is an amazing talent. I always want to hear what he has to say.

They have a little segment near the end of these segments called "Champagning and Campaigning" and he's relaying party stories about each city. It's pretty good.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
They have a little segment near the end of these segments called "Champagning and Campaigning" and he's relaying party stories about each city. It's pretty good.

The one for Utah was great. :lol:

Dapper Dan
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm on the Pacers bandwagon.

BroncoWave
10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I powered through all the videos that are up so far. All highly entertaining. I have to say though, I am pretty disappointed about missing out on what Jalen said in the two clips where "don't get fired" was edited in over them. It must have been bad since they let middle fingers and f-bombs through in some of those videos.

MOtorboat
10-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't remember which one, but I think he might have been referring to prostitution in one.

MOtorboat
10-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Xavier Henry, lol...

Good defense, Clips.

MOtorboat
10-30-2013, 06:05 PM
So, I just hit play on the first game up on League Pass tonight and caught the season intro piece for the Philadelphia 76ers.

Friggin' hilarious. Everyone knows they are tanking and their poor scrub players were put through a video shoot where they have to flash the No. 1 and say tough things like "Together we Build."

Let the "worst team ever" watch begin. Is that more entertaining than who wins the Finals (Heat) this year?

MOtorboat
10-30-2013, 08:29 PM
LOL, and then they beat the Heat.

Michael Carter-Williams for ROY.

Buff
11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I see the Jazz waived Jamal Tinsley. I think your career has officially bottomed out when you get cut from a team that is intentionally losing.

MOtorboat
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I was going to watch the Rockets-Sixers game before the Nuggets...but Michael Carter-Williams and James Harden are both out...

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
For anyone who liked the Bill and Jalen previews, they did a 33 day recap (they call is a Birdmester) and will be doing then every 33 days throughout the season. They are up on Grantland. The ones they just put up were pretty good.

MOtorboat
12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Kyrie Irving is a star. But his team blows.

SR
12-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I was channel surfing a little but ago and landed on the Houston/Memphis game. Probably won't watch anymore basketball for another 5-7 years.

MOtorboat
01-26-2014, 02:45 PM
LeBron just had one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qRNB4uZGU&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJ9qRNB4uZGU%26feature%3 Dyoutu.be

MOtorboat
01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
‏@HPbasketball
Jesus.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Be7tUzpCQAAftUu.jpg:large

‏@HPbasketball
No, I mean really. http://pic.twitter.com/WzxOY3z25r

@HPbasketball
I mean, I... come on. http://pic.twitter.com/2w932aVutX

Dapper Dan
01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe Jodie will score 50+

MOtorboat
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Who's the balding, rec-league point for the Grizz?

Dapper Dan
02-23-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm on the Pacers bandwagon.

So I hear my new team is doing well.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Who's the balding, rec-league point for the Grizz?

Do you mean Jamaal Franklin? He's a rookie out of SDSU. He's the only guard I can think of who looks to possibly be balding.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Greg Oden is starting for Miami today. His first start since 2009. That's pretty cool.

MOtorboat
02-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Do you mean Jamaal Franklin? He's a rookie out of SDSU. He's the only guard I can think of who looks to possibly be balding.

I have no idea. Have watched less NBA this year than previous years, so that's probably who I saw. I'd never seen him before.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:43 PM
I have no idea. Have watched less NBA this year than previous years, so that's probably who I saw. I'd never seen him before.

That's probably who it is. I haven't really watched much NBA either, so I'm not totally familiar with the newer Grizz players. I just don't usually get too much into the NBA until March Madness is over.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Holy balls.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:38 PM
This would be a bullshit loss if I have ever seen one. We have controlled this game.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
This would be a bullshit loss if I have ever seen one. We have controlled this game.

Let me guess...you're just gonna start bitching about the refs.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Let me guess...you're just gonna start bitching about the refs.

Why would you guess that? :confused:

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Sickening. Most bullshit basket I have ever seen. And Conley chokes at the line.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Why would you guess that? :confused:

Hey, if it's not, kudos. It seems to be the go to reason for anything in basketball and I think it's a fan cop out.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey, if it's not, kudos. It seems to be the go to reason for anything in basketball and I think it's a fan cop out.

If anything the refs have helped us by letting them play physically. Just can't believe how well Memphis played that possession physically and to have it end in that shot.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
If Memphis regroups and wins this I will be shocked.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Well, no offense BTB, but I'm thoroughly shocked that Memphis is in this at all.

Of course, I've been on the Thunder's jock for two years (well documented).

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Well, no offense BTB, but I'm thoroughly shocked that Memphis is in this at all.

Memphis matches up well with OKC. We took them to 7 games 3 years ago and beat them in 5 last year (granted without Westbook). Memphis' size and perimeter defense can give them fits.

Now that's not to say I expect Memphis to win this series, but I fully expect us to be able to push them to 6 or 7.

Buff
04-21-2014, 09:54 PM

This would be the Thunder's year if they still had Harden.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 09:55 PM

They would be a dynasty if they still had Harden. That was one of the worst NBA trades in recent memory.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Durant is the troof.

#bandwagon

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Welp, not much you can do when Durant is in God Mode like this. I'm surprised we kept it as close as we did late.

BroncoWave
04-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Welp, not much you can do when Durant is in God Mode like this. I'm surprised we kept it as close as we did late.

The jink worked!

Talk about an unbelievably gritty effort there by Memphis. They scrapped and clawed and hung on for dear life. What a fun, fun game to watch.

Northman
04-24-2014, 04:48 AM
My Blazers are up 2 games to none over the Rockets so far. We shall see how far they can progress through the playoffs, been a long time since they have remotely been this good.

BroncoWave
04-24-2014, 10:55 PM
So do you believe in the Grizzlies now Mo?

MOtorboat
04-24-2014, 11:48 PM
So do you believe in the Grizzlies now Mo?

Did they win? At work, not paying attention to the NBA.

BroncoWave
04-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Did they win? At work, not paying attention to the NBA.

Yep, 98-95 in OT. It played out pretty similar to game two. Memphis had a decent lead in the 4th quarter, and Durant/Westbrook went God mode to sent it into OT. It even included another insane 4-point play (from Westbrook this time) down 4 with under a minute to do. It's insane the mental toughness that team has to withstand that two games in a row to still win in OT.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 03:03 PM
At least Igoudala was top five in DPOY voting this year...

He's the best in the league. The fact he hasn't won one is a joke.

FanInAZ
04-27-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm just now tuning into Clippers/Warriors. I'm reading on FB that the Clippers are throwing the game. Does anyone who watched the 1st half agree?

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm just now tuning into Clippers/Warriors. I'm reading on FB that the Clippers are throwing the game. Does anyone who watched the 1st half agree?

I haven't watched any of it, but I would have a hard time believing this is true. Alot of these guys' next contracts could depend on how they do in the playoffs. They aren't gong to affect their own career to make some sort of point IMO.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 04:53 PM
I haven't watched any of it, but I would have a hard time believing this is true. Alot of these guys' next contracts could depend on how they do in the playoffs. They aren't gong to affect their own career to make some sort of point IMO.

There wasn't a lot of "try" in the Clippers I watched in the first half. I haven't watched any of the second half.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-27-2014, 04:57 PM

Honestly, that's a ridiculous assertion,IMO. They look a little distracted, but I don't believe for a minute they're throwing it. Most of the problem has been that GS came out really hot.

My honest opinion is that to suggest they're throwing it is ignorant and disrespectful to the Clippers.

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
There wasn't a lot of "try" in the Clippers I watched in the first half. I haven't watched any of the second half.

I can see if subconsiously they haven't given their best effort because they are distracted by the situation, but I just don't think they went out and said "let's lose this game on purpose, guys". While one bad game won't hurt the contracts of guys like Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, it could be detrimental to lesser role players.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Fuuuu. The Pacers have really went downhill in the second half of the season. Is it coaching?

Jaws
04-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Fuuuu. The Pacers have really went downhill in the second half of the season. Is it coaching?

Maybe they just can't pace themselves ;)

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Maybe they just can't pace themselves ;)

:drum:

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Speaking of channels I don't get (from the NHL thread) I don't get NBATV either, so I sadly couldn't watch the Grizz-Thunder game last night. What an amazing series that has been. I can't believe that game even got relegated to NBATV. 4 straight OT games is absolutely insane. Big chance for Memphis here with a chance to close it out at home. As I said earlier in this thread, Memphis matches up very well with OKC. They probably defend them better than any other team in the NBA. That arena is going to be a madhouse tomorrow night.

BroncoWave
05-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Welp, looks like the Grizz have run out of steam. Sucks that Randolph had to be an idiot and get himself suspended for Game 7. Still, they have played the Thunder 3 times in the last 4 playoffs and hold a 10-9 edge in the 19 games they have played. Not too shabby.

tripp
05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
The Raps lost in a nail biter. Watched the game at work, I've never ever seen Maple Leaf Square buzzing like it did Sunday afternoon, not even when the Maple Leafs played the Bruins in game 7 last year, not even close. Although Toronto will forever be a hockey town, the Raptors have undoubtedly won the heart of Toronto despite losing game 7 by 1 point. The resurgence of basketball in Toronto is back again after it left when Vince Carter joined the Nets.

Dapper Dan
05-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I'd like to see Brooklyn beat Miami.

Northman
05-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Sorry Timmy D, been a fan of yours for a long time dating back to your days at Wake but your stepping on my Trailblazer dreams and are in the way. Time for you and your boyz to take a seat. Go Blazers!

weazel
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
The Raps lost in a nail biter. Watched the game at work, I've never ever seen Maple Leaf Square buzzing like it did Sunday afternoon, not even when the Maple Leafs played the Bruins in game 7 last year, not even close. Although Toronto will forever be a hockey town, the Raptors have undoubtedly won the heart of Toronto despite losing game 7 by 1 point. The resurgence of basketball in Toronto is back again after it left when Vince Carter joined the Nets.

their inexperience really showed. That was a sloppy game by both teams though

Slick
05-10-2014, 10:28 PM
San Antonio struggled against Dallas but man, they are dismantling the Blazers right now. Blow outs in games 1 and 2 and up 17 mid way through the 2nd in game 3!

Poet
05-11-2014, 01:40 PM
So the Heat are probably going to win it all again, right?

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Looks like we are well on our way to another Heat/Pacers Spurs/Thunder final 4. Yawn. Just hope it's another Heat/Thunder finals so it will at least be entertaining.

Northman
05-11-2014, 01:45 PM
We have just no answer for Parker.......

Poet
05-11-2014, 01:57 PM
We have just no answer for Parker.......

So many teams have said that over the year.

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 04:46 PM
I thought, as Indiana got the lead early, that this game would feel like Indiana just holding on down the stretch, and it doesn't feel like that. They feel like every bit the equal of Miami.

Poet
05-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Celtics in f...ugh.

The Pacers always seem to stand up to the Heat, but the Heat still win the series. I doubt this is any different.

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I wonder if we'll hear about the NBA rigging this game?

Pacers 33 FTs, Heat 14

Nah, rigging only happens when it's the favorite winning the game. Amiright?

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Indiana forced Wade to be Miami's go-to guy today.

Wade is not that guy anymore.

Poet
05-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Heat still win it.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Indiana forced Wade to be Miami's go-to guy today.

Wade is not that guy anymore.

If Lance Stephenson's comments are any indication, the Indiana Pacers plan to see just how healthy Heat star Dwyane Wade is when the teams kick off their Eastern Conference finals series Sunday.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10947604/indiana-pacers-guard-lance-stephenson-plans-extra-aggressive-miami-heat-dwyane-wade

Poet
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Go Celtics.

Slick
05-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Wow. A 35 point blowout in game 2. Thunder on the ropes.

Go Spurs!

Poet
05-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Wow. A 35 point blowout in game 2. Thunder on the ropes.

Go Spurs!

I love you so much, but I hate your boring douchebag team. I'm so sorry, Slick. Forgive me.

Slick
06-01-2014, 09:25 AM
I love you so much, but I hate your boring douchebag team. I'm so sorry, Slick. Forgive me.

Spurs in the finals again! Hopefully Parker gets healthy with a few days off.

Poet
06-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Spurs in the finals again! Hopefully Parker gets healthy with a few days off.

Heat in five.

Northman
06-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Go Spurs and Timmy D!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Do it San Antonio

Poet
06-02-2014, 11:20 PM
FWIW, I am rooting for the Spurs.

MOtorboat
06-03-2014, 02:58 AM
The troll in me wants to root for Miami just because it pisses so many people off.

Northman
06-03-2014, 04:49 AM
The troll in me wants to root for Miami just because it pisses so many people off.

I thought you liked them anyway. lol

Buff
06-03-2014, 10:14 AM

I respect greatness. For the first time all season I actually kind of am interested in watching an NBA game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I respect greatness. For the first time all season I actually kind of am interested in watching an NBA game.

The casual fan might not think the Spurs are a sexy match-up, but to those who appreciate the game of basketball this should be a great series. The Spurs are the best coached team in the NBA. I love watching their ball movement and defensive rotations. The Heat are also a well coached team.

I thought last year's series was one of the best finals I had seen in a long time.

Buff
06-03-2014, 10:48 AM
The casual fan might not think the Spurs are a sexy match-up, but to those who appreciate the game of basketball this should be a great series. The Spurs are the best coached team in the NBA. I love watching their ball movement and defensive rotations. The Heat are also a well coached team.

I thought last year's series was one of the best finals I had seen in a long time.

Agreed. Should be some really high-level basketball, and equally high-level strategy from the coaches. Last year's Game 6 was one of the best games I can ever remember watching.

I just think the NBA has a ton of work to do in leveling the competitive landscape as there were realistically only like 4-5 teams who ever had a prayer of getting here this year. We've known all along that it was going to be Miami vs. OKC/SAS. Now that we're finally here, I will enjoy it - but it makes the last 9 months seem like a waste.

CoachChaz
06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Agreed. Should be some really high-level basketball, and equally high-level strategy from the coaches. Last year's Game 6 was one of the best games I can ever remember watching.

I just think the NBA has a ton of work to do in leveling the competitive landscape as there were realistically only like 4-5 teams who ever had a prayer of getting here this year. We've known all along that it was going to be Miami vs. OKC/SAS. Now that we're finally here, I will enjoy it - but it makes the last 9 months seem like a waste.

The NBA had already gotten to a point where most casual fans didnt bother watching until the playoffs. Lately, it seems people didnt bother until the finals. Other than a hard cap, I'm not sure what fixes the problem with only a handful of teams being able to put together a championship caliber roster

Denver Native (Carol)
06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
http://nba.si.com/2014/06/08/dwyane-wade-flop-manu-ginobili-finals-game-2-heat-spurs/

Wade got the call, and made both free throws - ridiculous call

MOtorboat
06-08-2014, 08:33 PM
http://nba.si.com/2014/06/08/dwyane-wade-flop-manu-ginobili-finals-game-2-heat-spurs/

Wade got the call, and made both free throws - ridiculous call

Yeah. If anyone deserves that, Ginobili does.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2014, 07:57 PM
MIAMI -- The flop is having an impact on the playoffs, and it's being caught much more than it was in the regular season.

Miami guard Dwyane Wade became the latest recipient of a postseason flopping fine Monday when the NBA ordered him to give up $5,000 after a review showed he over-exaggerated a foul during Game 2 of the finals that was charged to San Antonio's Manu Ginobili.

And there's an ironic twist -- Ginobili is often considered a master flopper, but he wasn't even warned once about it this season.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11057507/nba-finals-2014-dwyane-wade-fined-flop

Northman
06-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Halfway there Spurs, git-r-done.

Northman
06-13-2014, 04:47 AM
One game to go. As a whole i dont care for the Spurs but ive always liked Timmy D since his days at Wake. Im happy the dude has been able to win some titles and hope he adds another this year. One of the few players i can get on board with since Jordan left.

dogfish
06-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Other than a hard cap, I'm not sure what fixes the problem with only a handful of teams being able to put together a championship caliber roster

hard cap and a franchise tag. . . until then, the NBA is at best a three or four team league. . . it makes me laugh at my fellow nuggets fans when they get mad at the organization. . . it's not like the nugs are some horrendous bottom-feeder of a franchise-- they're just helplessly along for the ride, along with twenty-plus other franchises that aren't in LA or new york, and don't have durant or timmy. . .

Slick
06-14-2014, 07:16 PM
hard cap and a franchise tag. . . until then, the NBA is at best a three or four team league. . . it makes me laugh at my fellow nuggets fans when they get mad at the organization. . . it's not like the nugs are some horrendous bottom-feeder of a franchise-- they're just helplessly along for the ride, along with twenty-plus other franchises that aren't in LA or new york, and don't have durant or timmy. . .

I would add to that, enough of the ping pong balls. The worst team in the league should be picking first.

Slick
06-14-2014, 07:17 PM
I really wanted to give King shit for picking the Heat in 5, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

dogfish
06-14-2014, 07:53 PM
I would add to that, enough of the ping pong balls. The worst team in the league should be picking first.

i don't disagree, but most times even that doesn't help. . . look how many number one picks the cavs have had, and they're still garbage. . . unless lebron or durant is in the draft, even the top pick isn't worth much. . .

MOtorboat
06-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I really wanted to give King shit for picking the Heat in 5, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

I see what you did here...

MOtorboat
06-15-2014, 09:02 PM
The Spurs aren't beating the Heat, they are annihilating the Heat.

WTE
06-15-2014, 09:14 PM
"Not one, not two, not three, not four!"

aberdien
06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Basketball sucks whenever the Thunder aren't playing #bias

Dapper Dan
06-15-2014, 09:37 PM
:whoo:

aberdien
06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't really hate the Heat as much as everybody else does. I don't really get the hate.

Dapper Dan
06-15-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't really hate the Heat as much as everybody else does. I don't really get the hate.

It's like hating the Yankees.

aberdien
06-15-2014, 09:47 PM
It's like hating the Yankees.

Just cause they're good? I get that.

Canmore
06-15-2014, 10:00 PM

LeBrick James.

Dapper Dan
06-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Career highlights and awards:
NBA champion (2014)
NBA Finals MVP (2014)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2014)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
Consensus second team All-American (2011)
2× All-Mountain West First Team (2010–2011)
All-Mountain West Defensive Team (2011)
Mountain West Tournament MVP (2010)
Mountain West Freshman of the Year (2010)
California Mr. Basketball (2009)
OWNED LeBron James (2014)
Better than the heat (2014)
swagger (2014)
Mother****ing MVP (2014)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawhi_Leonard

Northman
06-16-2014, 04:02 AM

I can understand, i feel the same about the Patriots but everyone has their vices i guess.

BroncoWave
06-16-2014, 06:49 AM
LeBrick James.

If it weren't for "LeBrick James", the Spurs would have swept this series and won every game by 30+ points. It's pretty jarring how much the rest of the heat no-showed outside of James in this series.

Although someone made a really good point that I saw recently. In the last 4 seasons, Miami has played almost 90 playoff games. So in effect, they have played 5 seasons worth of basketball in the last 4 years. As old as alot of their players are, it makes since that they have finally worn down.

It will be interesting to see what LeBron does this offseason. Does he opt out or does he trust Miami to re-tool the roster back into a team that can win a title?

Dzone
06-16-2014, 09:15 AM

dogfish
06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
when you add in scoring titles and defensive player of the year awards, it becomes even clearer why MJ is the unquestionable GOAT. . .

OB
06-16-2014, 10:02 AM
So so so glad Miami got their asses whooped!!! (Although Ray ray is still my favorite of all time)

At least OKC put up a fight (after betting SA every game during the season)

BroncoJoe
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10268523_915672635113127_5754640536733892024_n.jpg

Slick
06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
What a great team effort. I am so happy for the Spurs and the city of San Antonio. They really put on a clinic.

Dog, you talked about getting those few superstar players a while back, and how important that is for the Nuggets. Outside of Duncan, the Spurs didn't exactly have a bunch of high draft picks. They developed their players and they emphasize playing team basketball and sound defense.

Pop and Buford deserve a lot of credit. At the end of the day the players play, but those two guys have done a hell of a job building a fundamentally sound and unselfish team.

Go Spurs Go! I love it. It was nice to see my mainest man, David Robinson hanging out. I got drunk last night for the first time in a couple of months.

Nomad
06-16-2014, 10:23 AM
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10268523_915672635113127_5754640536733892024_n.jpg

That's funny!

Does Timmy still cry to the refs every other play?

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
That's funny!

Does Timmy still cry to the refs every other play?

He actually mellowed out a little. Ginobili on the other hand...

Slick
06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
He actually mellowed out a little. Ginobili on the other hand...

Ginobili is the stereotypical Argentinian. He played great last night however.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Ginobili is the stereotypical Argentinian. He played great last night however.

Patty Mills turned into the designated flopper last night. He's going to get fined. Not that I think he cares now.

Slick
06-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Patty Mills turned into the designated flopper last night. He's going to get fined. Not that I think he cares now.

Damn foreigners.

Northman
06-16-2014, 10:54 AM
All Superstars whine about officiating. Just look back to guys like Jordan or Drexler. Just comes with the territory. Did like the dunk by Ginolbli last night though.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
What a great team effort. I am so happy for the Spurs and the city of San Antonio. They really put on a clinic.

Dog, you talked about getting those few superstar players a while back, and how important that is for the Nuggets. Outside of Duncan, the Spurs didn't exactly have a bunch of high draft picks. They developed their players and they emphasize playing team basketball and sound defense.

Pop and Buford deserve a lot of credit. At the end of the day the players play, but those two guys have done a hell of a job building a fundamentally sound and unselfish team.

Go Spurs Go! I love it. It was nice to see my mainest man, David Robinson hanging out. I got drunk last night for the first time in a couple of months.

That has been my point all along in the Nuggets thread. Right now, no one knows if that "superstar" is on the Nuggets team. It takes time. Who was the MVP of this series - Kawhi Leonard - 22 years old - drafted in 2011 by Indiana, and Larry Bird traded him to SA. I would imagine Bird will take a bunch of heat about that now - giving up on Leonard.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
That has been my point all along in the Nuggets thread. Right now, no one knows if that "superstar" is on the Nuggets team. It takes time. Who was the MVP of this series - Kawhi Leonard - 22 years old - drafted in 2011 by Indiana, and Larry Bird traded him to SA. I would imagine Bird will take a bunch of heat about that now - giving up on Leonard.

It didn't take time. He was in his second year and we knew he could be a star. He was in his third year and he became one.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
It didn't take time. He was in his second year and we knew he could be a star. He was in his third year and he became one.

Apparently Larry Bird did not know he could be a star.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Apparently Larry Bird did not know he could be a star.

He likely did. He got George Hill out of the deal, which means he got his point guard on a team that is the fourth best team in the league this year.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 11:49 AM
And who's the player on the Nuggets roster who it was obvious he was going to be a Top 15-25 player in his second season?

dogfish
06-16-2014, 12:17 PM
And who's the player on the Nuggets roster who it was obvious he was going to be a Top 15-25 player in his second season?

lmao. . . c'mon MO, the nugs are loaded with potential superstars. . . they just need time to develop, you'll see. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

I did not say it was obvious that any player on the Nuggets was going to be a top 15-25 player in his second season.

In regards to Leonard

He was that good in this series, and soon he's going to be that good always. To now he has been a role player, averaging 12.8 points and 6.2 rebounds this season for the Spurs , third on the team in scoring and tied for second in rebounds. Good player on a team with great ones like Duncan, Parker and Ginobili.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24589743/ready-or-not-the-kawhi-leonard-era-is-under-way-in-san-antonio

Until this series, it appears that Pop did not exactly know what he had in Leonard, as he had been a role player. All I am trying to say is no one knows if there is a player on the Nuggets who can become a star player. I am hoping the Nuggets go down that path, rather than as some suggest - "blow up the Nuggets".

dogfish
06-16-2014, 12:23 PM

yea, but duncan IS a superstar, and having that star with his particular mentality has made everything else they've done over the years possible. . . no duncan, no championship culture there. . . also, tony parker is a significant star in his own right-- he's probably a top-fifteen player at worst. . . the spurs aren't some low-talent bunch that just wins on high effort, technique and hustle-- you ain't sellin' me that, babypops, i know better. . . they have high-end talent AND play the right way. . .

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
yea, but duncan IS a superstar, and having that star with his particular mentality has made everything else they've done over the years possible. . . no duncan, no championship culture there. . . also, tony parker is a significant star in his own right-- he's probably a top-fifteen player at worst. . . the spurs aren't some low-talent bunch that just wins on high effort, technique and hustle-- you ain't sellin' me that, babypops, i know better. . . they have high-end talent AND play the right way. . .

Parker and Manu were both late second round picks. I'll give you Duncan and the influence he instills but that coach and front office built the Spurs.

The Nuggets are what they are by their own doing. If you don't have MJ Kobe or Lebron, build like San Antonio did.

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Teams should be plucking Spurs assistant coaches. Pop is a stud.

dogfish
06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Parker and Manu were both late second round picks. I'll give you Duncan and the influence he instills but that coach and front office built the Spurs.

The Nuggets are what they are by their own doing. If you don't have MJ Kobe or Lebron, build like San Antonio did.

i don't think you CAN build like san antonio did without duncan. . . show me a team that ever has. . .

without duncan over the years, the spurs never get close to the finals. . . granted, finding and developing parker was an amazing piece of scouting, and pop IS a brilliant coach. . . it still doesn't work over the years without duncan, though. . . i absolutely agree that they've done fantastic work building a great team around him, but they still needed the superstar as the foundation. . . and let's not forget that the early spurs title teams also had another superstar, one david robinson. . .

Northman
06-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Maybe i can ask this question to Slick. Is Leonard a potential superstar or just a solid support player ala like Robert Horry type of guy?

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Name me another NBA, HOFer who is laying close to $7 mil on the table every year just to stay with a small market club?

Another aspect of the Duncan phenomena.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
I did not say it was obvious that any player on the Nuggets was going to be a top 15-25 player in his second season.

In regards to Leonard

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24589743/ready-or-not-the-kawhi-leonard-era-is-under-way-in-san-antonio

Until this series, it appears that Pop did not exactly know what he had in Leonard, as he had been a role player. All I am trying to say is no one knows if there is a player on the Nuggets who can become a star player. I am hoping the Nuggets go down that path, rather than as some suggest - "blow up the Nuggets".

Don't believe everything you read. People have been talking about him for over a year.

Slick
06-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Maybe i can ask this question to Slick. Is Leonard a potential superstar or just a solid support player ala like Robert Horry type of guy?

He played like a superstar in the finals, that's for sure. I would say somewhere in between.

Slick
06-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Denver's superstar was a punk and a spoiled brat. Definitely cut from a different cloth than Duncan. I can't argue that.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Denver's superstar was a punk and a spoiled brat. Definitely cut from a different cloth than Duncan. I can't argue that.

And the organization insisted on hindering him by keeping George Karl around...

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Duncan is earning around $10.36 million this season, slightly more than Tiago Splitter, his backup against the Heat. Ginobili, 36, is the team's fourth-highest paid player at $7 million. Parker, 32, earns $12.5 million, a bargain for an All-NBA player in his prime.

“We took less money to stay here and to win championships,” Parker said. “So it makes it even better to have been able to play my whole career with Timmy and Manu, experiencing those great moments that we're never going to forget our whole life.”

In exchange, Spurs management rewarded the team's core by doing what was necessary to prolong the team's shelf life as a championship contender.

Without lottery picks to restock the cupboard, Buford and Co. had to get creative.

full article - http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Big-3-s-legacy-built-on-rings-as-they-aim-for-5th-5553188.php#/0

Slick
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
And the organization insisted on hindering him by keeping George Karl around...

So the Nuggets front office failed to provide the surrounding talent and a coach best suited to get the most out of their star player? Kind of my point here.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 02:10 PM
So the Nuggets front office failed to provide the surrounding talent and a coach best suited to get the most out of their star player? Kind of my point here.

When they did (Billups along with Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Nene and Birdman) they made the conference finals. Billups was the key.

Slick
06-16-2014, 02:14 PM
When they did (Billups along with Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Nene and Birdman) they made the conference finals. Billups was the key.

That was a solid team. Why couldn't they keep that team together? Egos? Salaries?

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 02:23 PM
That was a solid team. Why couldn't they keep that team together? Egos? Salaries?

Melo was sick of Karl. And they wanted to get something out of him instead of let him leave for nothing.

So, egos.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2014, 02:40 PM
from article:

One such rumor involving Anthony was that his wife LaLa was a big reason why he wanted to become a Knick so badly. Anthony denied that in an interview with Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski, explaining that one of his biggest reasons for wanting out was the direction the Nuggets were headed in.

"People didn't really know the business side of the situation we were in," Anthony said. "Everybody's contract was up. They had plans of going younger. People from the outside looking in didn't really get it."

Following the 2010-11 season, Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Marcus Camby and possibly Chauncey Billups were going to be free agents that were likely to go elsewhere. With Denver planning to go younger, Anthony decided that he did not want to be a part of a rebuilding process. So he pushed for a trade to New York to avoid a rebuild and to also take advantage of the major marketing opportunities in the city.

full article - http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/13/4098522/carmelo-anthony-return-denver-knicks-nuggets

Slick
06-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Melo was sick of Karl. And they wanted to get something out of him instead of let him leave for nothing.

So, egos.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Pop and Buford have had such success going the international route. Less of that stuff to deal with. I have to say during my 7 years of living away and meeting people from all over the world, Americans are by far the most arrogant, and think the world revolves around them.

I can see how egos get in the way.

Slick
06-16-2014, 02:44 PM
from article:

full article - http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/13/4098522/carmelo-anthony-return-denver-knicks-nuggets

Hehehe.

Dapper Dan
06-27-2014, 02:35 PM
It looks like Memphis has a few players I like. They drafted Jarnell Stokes. They already have Courtney Lee and Tashaun Prince.

CoachChaz
06-27-2014, 03:12 PM
My team will just be in lottery mode...again

dogfish
06-27-2014, 04:47 PM
My team will just be in lottery mode...again

who, philly? i thought dallas was your team. . .

BroncoJoe
06-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry if posted already - very classy move by The NBA.

op7730tD7y4