PDA

View Full Version : It's like Von Miller never really left

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
DENVER -- Mere minutes after his Broncos teammates finish practice, a shirtless Von Miller, chicken wing in one hand and five playing cards in the other, fills the locker room with his trademark baritone staccato laugh.

It seems like business as usual at Denver's facility, despite the linebacker's much-publicized offseason problems that resulted in a six-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Before 2004, suspended players weren't allowed anywhere near the stadium, the practice facility or, most especially, the sanctity of the team's locker room. But thanks to a little-known provision in the league's drug policy, players who have been suspended for less than a year for substance-abuse infractions are permitted to continue working closely with their teams. (The same does not apply to PED violators like Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin, who was banished from Seattle's facility during his four-game suspension to start this season.) Short of attending practice or games, players suspended for substance abuse can do everything that eligible players can. That includes lifting weights, watching film, receiving treatment, sitting in on team meetings -- and chilling in the locker room.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9828393/hot-read-miller-benefited-little-known-rule-suspensions

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I disagree with the headline.

Vehemently.

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I disagree with the headline.

Vehemently.

What do you mean? It's referring to his presence in the locker room and around the team, not on the field

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
What do you mean? It's referring to his presence in the locker room and around the team, not on the field

I realize that. But I disagree that because he is allowed around the team that he can really make an impact or that he wasn't gone.

Dzone
10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Vickerson said Von is 270 lbs. I see him and Malik Jackson, Woodyard, Trevathan et al kicking serious ass... that is a lot of speed...

wayninja
10-16-2013, 08:57 PM
So... it's like he never really left... because he never really left. Great writing, nobel stuff.

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
So... it's like he never really left... because he never really left. Great writing, nobel stuff.

The writer of the article doesn't write the headline.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 08:59 PM
The writer of the article doesn't write the headline.

Can't tell if serious....

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Can't tell if serious....

Ask anyone who writes articles for a living if they write the titles that are published with the articles.

Dzone
10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Awesome if the policy works out as a competitive advantage in the second half of the season.

Which raises the question: Is this relatively new NFL policy a progressive and humane approach to substance-abuse recovery, or is it a loophole that will provide certain teams and players a competitive advantage in the second half of the season?

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
I don't see how it gives us a competitive advantage. I mean, we still didn't have him for 6 games. Why should the team/player be punished even further by the player having to work himself back into shape and learn the playbook and such?

wayninja
10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Ask anyone who writes articles for a living if they write the titles that are published with the articles.

Well, I could, but really only asking David Fleming would matter. Online publishing isn't usually the same as print publishing. The guys at bleacher report write their own headlines... :D

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, I could, but really only asking David Fleming would matter. Online publishing isn't usually the same as print publishing. The guys at bleacher report write their own headlines... :D

That's because Bleacher Report has independent writers and is almost more of a blog than a news source. I can guarantee you that an outlet like ESPN has headline writers.

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 09:09 PM
In fact, I know ESPN has headline writers, because I remember this story about one getting fired for a headline he wrote...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/espn-fires-writer-penning-racist-jeremy-lin-headline-suspends-anchor-30-days-article-1.1025351

wayninja
10-16-2013, 09:09 PM
That's because Bleacher Report has independent writers and is almost more of a blog than a news source. I can guarantee you that an outlet like ESPN has headline writers.

Ok, you win. My point still stands. Aplogies to David, and insult to whomever wrote his headline. Better?

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Ok, you win. My point still stands. Aplogies to David, and insult to whomever wrote his headline. Better?

I don't really care who you insult. Just wanted to clear up that it probably wasn't him who wrote the headline. :)

topscribe
10-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't really care who you insult. Just wanted to clear up that it probably wasn't him who wrote the headline. :)
Such honesty! It reminds me of the time that this old man had a lot of trouble
fining a job. He was in a job interview when the interviewer asked, "What
would you say is your basic weakness?"

The old man replied, "My honesty."

"Well, I don't think honesty is a weakness." the interviewer replied.

To which the old man said, "I don't give a shit what you think."

Digest that one for a moment . . .

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Such honesty! It reminds me of the time that this old man had a lot of trouble
fining a job. He was in a job interview when the interviewer asked, "What
would you say is your basic weakness?"

The old man replied, "My honesty."

"Well, I don't think honesty is a weakness." the interviewer replied.

To which the old man said, "I don't give a shit what you think."

Digest that one for a moment . . .

I laughed out loud. Honest answer haha