PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos Need Woodyard Back

BSN Denver
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Over the past few years Wesley Woodyard has not only became one of the best players on the Broncos defense, he has also became an important leader on the team.

Woodyard injured his neck in the week five win over the Dallas Cowboys and the defense has struggled ever since.

Many players on defense would consider Woodyard the backbone of the unit. His absence was definitely noticed this past week in the 35-19 victory over the Jaguars. The team ended up winning the game, but the defense struggled more than it should have.

Denver gave up 362 yards to a horrible Jacksonville offense that is ranked dead last in almost every statistical category. The defense had a few breakdowns and miscommunications throughout the game and the adjustments that we are used to seeing just haven’t been made. It wasn’t just the Jags. It didn’t seem like they were able to adjust to Dallas without Woodyard either. Whether it’s a mental or physical thing, losing your leader and leading tackler will always create a disadvantage.

It’s very simple; the Denver Broncos defense just isn’t the same without.....FULL STORY (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=the-broncos-need-woodyard-back)

GEM
10-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Hate to say it, but....no shit, sherlock! :laugh:

Sorry, but it's stating the obvious! Team isn't the same with him not on the field.

Can you confirm, from what I saw, the injury came from being intentionally stepped on by a Dallas offensive lineman. That's why he got up so upset about.

Spiritguy
10-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Robert Ayers and Wesley Woodyard with helmets on for practice today. Von ready to go as well.
— Lionel Bienvenu (@lionelbienvenu) October 16, 2013 (https://twitter.com/lionelbienvenu/statuses/390526293122379776)

BroncoNut
10-16-2013, 02:07 PM
that's good to hear spirit guy. where do you get your 911? or 411, whichever #tryingtobekewl

yes, we miss Woody. injuries have certainly been holding our defense back the last couple of weeks. on the Jax game, without the turnovers, the game would have been more comfortable to watch. 3 turnovers is alot. but I get your jist

Ziggy
10-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Woody is a must sign in the offseason. See ya Decker.

BroncoNut
10-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Woody is a must sign in the offseason. See ya Decker.

what about Demarius Thomas? Why couldn't we sign all 3? Plus we have Webster.

G_Money
10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
I remember arguing with people a couple years ago about whether Woodyard's leadership skills really meant that much in the scheme of things, since DJ was so much "better" a linebacker.

We need Woodyard. It does make a difference. And I'm glad it looks like he'll be suiting up on Sunday.

~G

Spiritguy
10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
that's good to hear spirit guy. where do you get your 911? or 411, whichever #tryingtobekewl

Just wandering the net reading different forums, blogs, twitter pages :D

Ziggy
10-16-2013, 04:18 PM

Demaryius isn't a free agent at the end of the season. Decker is. We can't re-sign everyone. The salary cap will keep Denver from keeping everyone. Fortunately, Elway has finally built this team to where it has enough talent that we can't afford to re-sign all of our good players. It's a nice problem to have, but we won't keep everyone. Remember, in 2 years Von, DT, Knowshon, Nate Irving, Rahim Moore, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Kevin Vickerson, Terrance Knighton, Champ Bailey, and Wes Welker will be free agents. This year we need to choose between Decker, Mitch Unrein, Woodyard, Chris Harris, Holliday, Ihenacho, DRC, Beadles, Shaun Phillips, and Tony Carter.

The Broncos haven't had a compensatory draft pick in a long, long time. It speaks to the lack of base talent on this team for years now. That's changed. Expect them to be coming our way by the bunches beginning in the 2015 draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Demaryius isn't a free agent at the end of the season. Decker is. We can't re-sign everyone. The salary cap will keep Denver from keeping everyone. Fortunately, Elway has finally built this team to where it has enough talent that we can't afford to re-sign all of our good players. It's a nice problem to have, but we won't keep everyone. Remember, in 2 years Von, DT, Knowshon, Nate Irving, Rahim Moore, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Kevin Vickerson, Terrance Knighton, Champ Bailey, and Wes Welker will be free agents. This year we need to choose between Decker, Mitch Unrein, Woodyard, Chris Harris, Holliday, Ihenacho, DRC, Beadles, Shaun Phillips, and Tony Carter.

The Broncos haven't had a compensatory draft pick in a long, long time. It speaks to the lack of base talent on this team for years now. That's changed. Expect them to be coming our way by the bunches beginning in the 2015 draft.

I thought both Moreno and Ayers (Ayers is for sure but he's not on your list) were in a contract year this year... I don't know for sure, though and I have no idea where to look for that info.

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought both Moreno and Ayers (Ayers is for sure but he's not on your list) were in a contract year this year... I don't know for sure, though and I have no idea where to look for that info.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/

Skinny
10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought both Moreno and Ayers (Ayers is for sure but he's not on your list) were in a contract year this year... I don't know for sure, though and I have no idea where to look for that info.This is a pretty good site... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

Skinny
10-16-2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/Turbo fingers...

HORSEPOWER 56
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/

Thanks! The site doesn't make sense, though. It says Moreno is on a 5 year deal like Ayers, but Ayers' contract expires this year, Moreno's in 2015? : confused:

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks! The site doesn't make sense, though. It says Moreno is on a 5 year deal like Ayers, but Ayers' contract expires this year, Moreno's in 2015? : confused:

Moreno has a team option and Ayers is UFA after this year. I guess that would be the difference.

dogfish
10-17-2013, 02:18 AM

unless we make big cap-cutting moves, i don't see how we keep DRC. . . woodyard, harris, and maybe hopefully holliday and nacho-- those are the guys i'd love to keep after this year. . . and maybe draft wide receiver, corner and O-line with some of our higher picks next year. . .

Ziggy
10-17-2013, 03:07 AM
unless we make big cap-cutting moves, i don't see how we keep DRC. . . woodyard, harris, and maybe hopefully holliday and nacho-- those are the guys i'd love to keep after this year. . . and maybe draft wide receiver, corner and O-line with some of our higher picks next year. . .

Yeah Dog, it wont be a popular move, but Champ may end up being a salary cap casualty. We could take his 9 mill next season and sign DRC to a new contract with it. Re-sign Harris as well and the starting 3 would be DRC, Harris, and Kayvon next season. I could live with that.

BroncoNut
10-17-2013, 07:04 AM

I thought so too about KM and Damaryus too.

Ziggy
10-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I thought so too about KM and Damaryus too.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/

topscribe
10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I remember arguing with people a couple years ago about whether Woodyard's leadership skills really meant that much in the scheme of things, since DJ was so much "better" a linebacker.

We need Woodyard. It does make a difference. And I'm glad it looks like he'll be suiting up on Sunday.

~G
D.J. has immense physical talents. But Woody seems to have more above the shoulders . . .

Davii
10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah Dog, it wont be a popular move, but Champ may end up being a salary cap casualty. We could take his 9 mill next season and sign DRC to a new contract with it. Re-sign Harris as well and the starting 3 would be DRC, Harris, and Kayvon next season. I could live with that.

Won't happen. I think Champ would either take less money or retire.

Buff
10-17-2013, 01:21 PM

I think Champ is a savvy business person and would take the best contract he can get. He is a loyal guy, but he's not going to take a hometown discount. I think he either retires or plays for another team next season. He's not going to take a pay cut.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2013, 01:33 PM
I think Champ is a cut next season. I don't think he retires, because he can still play. I just don't see him retiring. Some think that if we win the Super Bowl, that would give incentive to call it quits. I think that would be the opposite. That would rejuvinate him into coming back.

He's not going to take this mythical "home town discount." I don't think those exist, and I would NEVER expect a player that is making 10 million a year to come down 80% of that to stick with a team (which is what we would need him to do). People don't just give up 6-8 MILLION dollars purely because they like the view of the Rockies.

Buff
10-17-2013, 01:36 PM
I think Champ is a cut next season. I don't think he retires, because he can still play. I just don't see him retiring. Some think that if we win the Super Bowl, that would give incentive to call it quits. I think that would be the opposite. That would rejuvinate him into coming back.

He's not going to take this mythical "home town discount." I don't think those exist, and I would NEVER expect a player that is making 10 million a year to come down 80% of that to stick with a team (which is what we would need him to do). People don't just give up 6-8 MILLION dollars purely because they like the view of the Rockies.

I could easily see him pulling a Charles Woodson homecoming and ending up in Washington next year. Shanny has never seen an aging high priced free agent who he doesn't like... Champ has history with the city.

I would be shocked if this isn't his last season as a Bronco.

Davii
10-17-2013, 01:40 PM
So who said he should take 80% less or an 8 million dollar cut?

Bottom line: I don't think Champ makes 10 million next year, regardless of his jersey color.

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I think Champ is a savvy business person and would take the best contract he can get. He is a loyal guy, but he's not going to take a hometown discount. I think he either retires or plays for another team next season. He's not going to take a pay cut.

Remember though, Champ doesn't have a ring...I think a lot depends on whether or not they can pull it off this year or not.

DenBronx
10-17-2013, 04:07 PM

I don't think wants to go anywhere or retire just yet. The team might come to him with a new deal though like they did with Dumervil, at least in order to help keep everyone on board. Hopefully Champ agrees to a new deal. He might not be the only one asked either.

Ziggy
10-17-2013, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't rule out Champ taking a home town discount. He did it on his last contract.

Buff
10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't rule out Champ taking a home town discount. He did it on his last contract.

The one that made him the 2nd highest paid DB at the time? And paid him $22 million over the first two years of the deal? That contract was a hometown discount?

I've always gotten the impression that Champ views this as a business first. If Denver asks him to take a pay cut I think he'd be much more inclined to test the waters.

Davii
10-17-2013, 05:02 PM
The one that made him the 2nd highest paid DB at the time? And paid him $22 million over the first two years of the deal? That contract was a hometown discount?

I've always gotten the impression that Champ views this as a business first. If Denver asks him to take a pay cut I think he'd be much more inclined to test the waters.

And you think those waters would pay him as one of the top three CBs?

I don't think so which is why I think he'd take a pay cut. Not a hometown discount, a realistic accounting of market factors.

slim
10-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Not to start anything, but he will probably have to move to safety if he wants to play next year.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

Wesley Woodyard limited for second day at practice (neck). He said no worries, he's definitely playing on Sunday at Indy. #Broncos

Only change to #Broncos injury report today is Sly Williams upgraded to full participation. Among limited guys: Woodyard + Ayers.

TXBRONC
10-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I really hope Denver has at least Woodyard back along with Miller. Lenon doesn't have enough range.