PDA

View Full Version : In moving on from Manning, Irsay says he chose championships over stats

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 03:19 PM
If the Colts end up losing two games in six days, they can thank in part their owner.

For starters, Jim Irsay went public last week with the plans for welcoming Peyton Manning back to town with a “great tribute.” It may have caused some of his players to lose focus on the more pressing challenge of beating the Chargers. (Though the impact on the players is debatable, if he had said nothing before Monday’s game, the chances of Irsay creating a distraction would have been zero.)

Now, Irsay is giving Peyton a little grist for his ever-churning Manning-face mill.

In an interview with Jarret Bell of USA Today, Irsay eventually boils the departure of Peyton down to one fact: Irsay preferred to chase team achievements, not individual ones.

“We’ve changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these,” Irsay said, referring to his Super Bowl XLI ring. “[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these. Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/in-moving-on-from-manning-irsay-says-he-chose-championships-over-stats/

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Peyton also says, in moving on from Jim Irsay to Pay Bowlen, Manning also chose championships over stats.

Ziggy
10-15-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't blame Irsay. Luck has all the tools to become the next great QB in this league and Manning is on the tail end of his career. It may work out perfectly for both teams in the end.

topscribe
10-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Irsay should have thought a bit more about the defense and O-line when he had
Peyton. Then he might have had more of them . . .

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't blame Irsay. Luck has all the tools to become the next great QB in this league and Manning is on the tail end of his career. It may work out perfectly for both teams in the end.

Luck is a good QB, a franchise QB, so I don't blame the Colts for making this tough decision.

However, I think Manning and Miller are going to T-Bag them this Sunday.

LTC Pain
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Luck is a good QB, a franchise QB, so I don't blame the Colts for making this tough decision.

"T-Bag" is synonymous with knocking the dogshit out of them, right DenBronx :):):)

wayninja
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Absolutely, but the comments are a bit absurd considering how much Luck and Manning have in common. I mean, you chose Luck because you basically thought he was the next Peyton Manning...

Feels like he just doesn't want to come out and say that.

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 03:41 PM
"T-Bag" is synonymous with knocking the dogshit out of them, right DenBronx :):):)

First he will knock the dog shit out of them then in humiliating fashion he will T-Bag em! :D

jhns
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Irsay should have thought a bit more about the defense and O-line when he had
Peyton. Then he might have had more of them . . .

It sounded to me like this is what he was saying after listening to the entire interview. He basically said Manning moved on to be with a team that can win SBs now and they realized they need to build an entire team since just having a few star players hasn't worked out. It was also clear that they didn't have a complete team and he said he was surprised by the quick turnaround. This articles spin is kind of silly. Irsay says Manning moved on to win titles. That doesn't make sense if he is saying you don't win titles with Manning.

This guy left out a lot of important parts from the interview.

Northman
10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
So basically he is saying that Peyton is too blame for them only having one trophy and only making 2 SB's. I really dislike that guy but its ok, Bronco fans have no problem letting Peyton retire a Bronco after he wins another Championship here.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said the team’s decision to release quarterback Peyton Manning wasn’t a “no-brainer” based on conversations the former coach had with owner Jim Irsay at the time.

With Manning now healthy and leading the unbeaten Denver Broncos and a record-setting offense into Indianapolis on Sunday night, Dungy said Irsay would have kept the quarterback if the owner thought the scenario would play out this way.

“I can almost guarantee you if (Irsay) knew (Manning) was going to be healthy like this, and playing this kind of football, in hindsight, I don’t think he would have done it,” Dungy said in a conference call to promote NBC’s telecast of Sunday night’s game.

rest - http://www.indystar.com/article/20131015/SPORTS03/310150044/Tony-Dungy-says-Manning-would-still-Colts-Irsay-had-known-he-would-healthy-again

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
So basically he is saying that Peyton is too blame for them only having one trophy and only making 2 SB's. I really dislike that guy but its ok, Bronco fans have no problem letting Peyton retire a Bronco after he wins another Championship here.

or two or three...

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 04:57 PM
rest - http://www.indystar.com/article/20131015/SPORTS03/310150044/Tony-Dungy-says-Manning-would-still-Colts-Irsay-had-known-he-would-healthy-again

I would have still drafted Luck if I knew Manning was healthy.

Then made a blockbuster trade for Luck.

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Bill Polian was the one in charge of personnel so he's the one most responsible for putting a shitty defense on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2013, 05:34 PM
A group of high school students in Indianapolis created a parody of the DirecTV “Football on Your Phone” commercial staring Peyton and Eli Manning.

The Mannings starred in the DirecTV commercial about watching NFL games on cell phones.

In this version the students pretend to be the Manning brothers and rap “Peyton’s coming home.”

rest & video - http://kdvr.com/2013/10/15/peytons-coming-home-video-cheers-mannings-return-to-indy/

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Annnnnd the story just got juicier! lol

John Fox tees off on Jim Irsay

This is getting good.

In response to comments to USA Today (which, frankly, were buried under far less compelling quotes) from Colts owner Jim Irsay regarding the various one-and-out playoff runs and absence of multiple Super Bowl wins from the Peyton Manning era, Broncos coach John Fox fired back.

“I saw the comments [from Irsay] and to be honest with you I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot,” Fox told Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio. “To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate. I mean, Peyton would never say anything. He’s too classy to do that. But they sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me for a guy that has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won division titles, won four MVP awards. I’d be thankful with that one Super Bowl ring because there’s a lot of people that don’t have one.”

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/john-fox-tees-off-on-jim-irsay/

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Annnnnd the story just got juicier! lol

John Fox tees off on Jim Irsay

This is getting good.

In response to comments to USA Today (which, frankly, were buried under far less compelling quotes) from Colts owner Jim Irsay regarding the various one-and-out playoff runs and absence of multiple Super Bowl wins from the Peyton Manning era, Broncos coach John Fox fired back.

“I saw the comments [from Irsay] and to be honest with you I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot,” Fox told Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio. “To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate. I mean, Peyton would never say anything. He’s too classy to do that. But they sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me for a guy that has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won division titles, won four MVP awards. I’d be thankful with that one Super Bowl ring because there’s a lot of people that don’t have one.”

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/john-fox-tees-off-on-jim-irsay/

Fox showing some backbone. Although, this will just keep feeding the media, which I think is attention PFM tries to avoid.

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Fox showing some backbone. Although, this will just keep feeding the media, which I think is attention PFM tries to avoid.

I love the fired back response from Fox.

GEM
10-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Irsay should be thankful....if it wasn't for Manning, he wouldn't even have that one. His team would probably still be 3-13 without Manning ever coming to Indy. They weren't shit before he got there, Manning basically put them back on the map, somewhere they hadn't been since being moved from Baltimore.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Is Irsay back on the booze wagon or did he never leave?

Bronco4ever
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
So Irsay is putting on a long drawn out celebration for Manning but basically dissing him in an interview? He is in for a rude awakening on Sunday night!

Az Snake
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
By Jarrett Bell
USA TODAY
Sports
Tue Oct 15, 2013
9:16 AM

...."We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this."

Then Irsay flicks up his right hand, again.

Entire article here:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/free/20131015indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-releasing-peyton-manning.html

~~~

Irsay had no faith that Peyton had the determination to rehab and return.

Very bad timing for Irsay to spew this.

Good on Fox for chiding Irsay.
Broncos locker room will feed on this.

VonDoom
10-15-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm glad Fox is fighting back but yeah, this is the stuff Peyton hates. Sunday can't come soon enough

nevcraw
10-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Love this!!!
Irsay looks like a Douche.
Manning's teammates are going to play even harder for him now.. funny how disrespect can motivate / galvanize a team.. see Jax last sunday...
and.. John Fox with his response now became my favorite Broncos coach ever for calling out Irsay...

spikerman
10-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Irsay should be thankful....if it wasn't for Manning, he wouldn't even have that one. His team would probably still be 3-13 without Manning ever coming to Indy. They weren't shit before he got there, Manning basically put them back on the map, somewhere they hadn't been since being moved from Baltimore.

Not to mention that they probably wouldn't be the Indianapolis Colts anymore.

GEM
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
By Jarrett Bell
USA TODAY
Sports
Tue Oct 15, 2013

...."We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this."

Entire article here:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/free/20131015indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-releasing-peyton-manning.html

~~~

Manning wouldn't chide the fans there and Irsay is banking on that for Sunday night. I hope he tastefully declines and goes about his pre-game ritual. He can thank the fans after. **** you, Irsay! I really like Luck, but I hope the Colts don't win another Super Bowl in Irsay's lifetime. Get Luck out of there, Irsay will never surround him with talent anyways. Just like Manning, part of the reason he only has one.

No wonder Jack didn't want Elway anywhere near the Irsays.

SR
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Isray is hilarious on Twitter.

DenBronx
10-15-2013, 06:47 PM
It takes ALOT to make Fox say something. Must have really got to him. Peyton wont say anything because yes he is too classy to say it but Fox said it for him. So much props to Coach Fox for taking a stand.

Go home Irsay....you are drunk again.

Nomad
10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh well, it worked out for the BRONCOS.

DenBronx
Isray is hilarious on Twitter.

I followed him on Twitter years back.....but only because I was trying to win SB tickets.

Denver Native (Carol)
So Irsay is putting on a long drawn out celebration for Manning but basically dissing him in an interview? He is in for a rude awakening on Sunday night!

I posted this same thing in another thread, but when I told one of my sons that they were going to honor Peyton before the game, he said he has never heard of a team honoring a player BEFORE he retires, or at least the year he has announced it will be his last year. My son's conclusion - Irsay is trying to get inside Peyton's head. Also, last night, after Vic showed the video "Peyton is coming home", his comment was "they are trying to soften Peyton up".

SR
10-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I wish Fox and everyone else on the Broncos would've stayed silent and just took the high road until after the game Sunday night

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
By Jarrett Bell
USA TODAY
Sports
Tue Oct 15, 2013

Entire article here:

~~~

He had no idea that Manning would have the determination to rehab? Really? He must have had his head up his ass for the last 15 years.

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 06:56 PM
He had no idea that Manning would have the determination to rehab? Really? He must have had his head up his ass for the last 15 years.

That is no where in that article. That must be snakes' opinion.

GEM
10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I hope Irsay keeps talking shit, then when Manning retires, he and Elway can head up our front office.

I'd laugh at my brother in law and run in circles around him. He'd die of anger fits. :D

NightTrainLayne
10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I listened to the entire interview with Coach Fox on Sirius/XM.

Coach Fox is very classy, and that's as close as you'll ever hear him to getting out of line, and I think it needed to be said. Coach Fox has his guys' backs.

After the interview, Pat Kirwin, and Jim Miller discussed the situation and thought that the colts GM and coaching staff probably didn't appreciate Irsay's comments one bit. Kirwin said that he's know Coach Fox for over 20 years and has never heard him call out someone for "inappropriate" comments like that.

Also, based on Fox's comments I expect Vasquez to be playing right tackle this Sunday, with Kuper at right guard as was the case in the second half last Sunday. Fox said that if they don't have Franklin, that's the way they will probably go. Based on hearing three seasons of these interviews with Fox, if he says, "if" we don't have someone, we won't have that someone.

olathebroncofan
10-15-2013, 07:57 PM
NTL - is there a way to go back and listen to the Fox interview? I am normally on my way home during his interview, but they moved my son's football practice up.

NightTrainLayne
10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
NTL - is there a way to go back and listen to the Fox interview? I am normally on my way home during his interview, but they moved my son's football practice up.

I can't find the whole interview. But here's part of it, mainly commenting on Irsay's remarks.

Https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/broncos-head-coach-John-fox-1

wayninja
10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I posted this same thing in another thread, but when I told one of my sons that they were going to honor Peyton before the game, he said he has never heard of a team honoring a player BEFORE he retires, or at least the year he has announced it will be his last year. My son's conclusion - Irsay is trying to get inside Peyton's head. Also, last night, after Vic showed the video "Peyton is coming home", his comment was "they are trying to soften Peyton up".

The last time I remember this happening was for Tim Tebow when we played Miami in 2011 (granted it was for playing for his college team, not the dolphins, but still...).

What's funny is that no one even expected him to play that day. That was a rude awakening. Guess the Colts didn't do their homework.

dogfish
10-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I hope Irsay keeps talking shit, then when Manning retires, he and Elway can head up our front office.

I'd laugh at my brother in law and run in circles around him. He'd die of anger fits. :D

i believe they'll go a step further than that. . . i really expect elway and manning to jointly front the ownership group that eventually buys the broncos. . . watch. . .

GEM
10-15-2013, 11:22 PM
i believe they'll go a step further than that. . . i really expect elway and manning to jointly front the ownership group that eventually buys the broncos. . . watch. . .

I'm hoping for it, buddy!! :)

ShaneFalco
10-15-2013, 11:23 PM
wow didnt see this thread. If mod can merge new one, if needed, thanks.

Dzone
10-16-2013, 04:17 AM
I ******* hate Irsay...what a pig...He was given an NFL franchise by his dad and now he is an arrogant ,spoiled, fat ******* who cant control his alcohol consumption and his drunken babbling in the media...Thanks Irsay for giving people a new team to hate

Dzone
10-16-2013, 04:22 AM
wow didnt see this thread. If mod can merge new one, if needed, thanks.
well, Im just damn glad I found an irsay thread so I cant vent about that lardass pos

Northman
10-16-2013, 04:40 AM
I love the fired back response from Fox.

Agreed. Fox knows personally how hard it is too win a championship. Its even better that it wasnt Manning who responded but Fox. I feel the same way about Irsay's comments. They were unneeded and did seem like a cheap shot at Peyton. Its understandable that they wanted to move on with the injury question hanging around Peyton but too somehow blame it on all his stats and that he only got one ring is just petty and unappreciative. I kind of hope they dont ever win one with Luck (which would be unfair to him and the team) but if Luck and company never win one than Irsay should be thankful that Manning was able to at least get them one in 2 tries.

TXBRONC
10-16-2013, 05:19 AM
It takes ALOT to make Fox say something. Must have really got to him. Peyton wont say anything because yes he is too classy to say it but Fox said it for him. So much props to Coach Fox for taking a stand.

Go home Irsay....you are drunk again.

I think Fox handled it in classy way. Fox normally doesn't do things like this. I'm also glad he did it.

dogfish
10-16-2013, 09:22 AM
irsay can say what he wants. . . the whole world knows his shiny new QB plays in the House that Peyton Built. . .

Thnikkaman
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Luck is going to end up like RGIII if Irsay doesn't protect his assets.

LTC Pain
10-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Irsay can SIWTSDS!

Broncolingus
10-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Jim Irsay's birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory...

...in fact, that applies to his whole family.

The ONLY reason Irsay is making that statement is because he's pissed like a little sissy girl at Manning's success the past year and a half...

What a bunch of classless scumbags...:tsk:

wayninja
10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
I think Fox handled it in classy way. Fox normally doesn't do things like this. I'm also glad he did it.

I agree, although I'm a little confused why he called it a 'cheap shot'. It was probably an unfair characterization of Manning, and the timing was atrocious, but I think cheap shot isn't quite the right term there.

TXBRONC
10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I agree, although I'm a little confused why he called it a 'cheap shot'. It was probably an unfair characterization of Manning, and the timing was atrocious, but I think cheap shot isn't quite the right term there.

It may not be the harshest cheap shot but it's still a cheap shot. It's the thing not winning enough rings that's worst part. Maybe Bill Polian had not been arrogant and provided Manning with talent maybe they win a couple more rings.

GEM
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Maybe the timing...here you are giving him a 22 min welcome home while at the same time talking out the side of your mouth how he didn't do enough.

It's a cheap shot in the sense that without Manning, the Colts would probably still be bottom of the barrel with no rings, no AFC South championships, no MVP's, nothing. They'd be the same meaningless team the Irsay's have had since the day they moved out of Baltimore like chicken shits in the middle of the night with 12 moving trucks. We've seen what team they built around Manning, they were lucky he and Luck fell into their laps. Other than the top pick, they haven't built a team around these QB's to do much with, and that sits on Irsay's shoulders.

So while he's taking shots at Manning, who is taking shots at him? He's the head of the team.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Maybe the timing...here you are giving him a 22 min welcome home while at the same time talking out the side of your mouth how he didn't do enough.

It's a cheap shot in the sense that without Manning, the Colts would probably still be bottom of the barrel with no rings, no AFC South championships, no MVP's, nothing. They'd be the same meaningless team the Irsay's have had since the day they moved out of Baltimore like chicken shits in the middle of the night with 12 moving trucks. We've seen what team they built around Manning, they were lucky he and Luck fell into their laps. Other than the top pick, they haven't built a team around these QB's to do much with, and that sits on Irsay's shoulders.

So while he's taking shots at Manning, who is taking shots at him? He's the head of the team.

I may be just nitpicking, but a cheap shot would be more along the lines of Irsay saying that he got rid of him because his neck was too fragile, or that he was in decline due to his age or something. Something that is actually 'cheap'. Just stating the stats on playoff wins/losses isn't really cheap (even though I think he got the number of Rings Baltimore had at the time wrong), it just an unfair mischaracterization of what Manning did for the Colts and an unfair/imbalanced 'blame' on him not winning more championships.

But yeah, I agree that the timing of this is extremely duplicitous. It's borderline insane, actually. One might make the argument that saying this now, while deciding to have an honoring ceremony is tantamount to split personality disorder.

GEM
10-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I may be just nitpicking, but a cheap shot would be more along the lines of Irsay saying that he got rid of him because his neck was too fragile, or that he was in decline due to his age or something. Something that is actually 'cheap'. Just stating the stats on playoff wins/losses isn't really cheap (even though I think he got the number of Rings Baltimore had at the time wrong), it just an unfair mischaracterization of what Manning did for the Colts and an unfair/imbalanced 'blame' on him not winning more championships.

But yeah, I agree that the timing of this is extremely duplicitous. It's borderline insane, actually. One might make the argument that saying this now, while deciding to have an honoring ceremony is tantamount to split personality disorder.

If I were Manning, I wouldn't pay no homage right now. I wouldn't interrupt my before game ritual. Just wouldn't do it when it's painfully obvious it isn't genuine on the Colts part.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
If I were Manning, I wouldn't pay no homage right now. I wouldn't interrupt my before game ritual. Just wouldn't do it when it's painfully obvious it isn't genuine on the Colts part.

I agree, this feels like some sort of stunt to imbalance Manning. I would play no part in it, nor let it interrupt anything I normally do before a game.

weazel
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
he's trying to backtrack and he's just making it worse

DenBronx
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM

That's not really Mannings style.

Unless you are an idiot kicker. lol

GILXUJa2l1w

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
We underestimated Peyton Returns to Indy Week!; turns out, it's worse than Manning Bowl Week. Of course, no one's talking about the game because we're too busy dissecting the comments of Colts owner Jim Irsay, and then the responses to those comments from everyone who has ever worked with Peyton Manning.

It started with Irsay saying, among other things, that he was disappointed the team didn't win more than one Super Bowl during Manning's 14-year tenure in Indy.

This prompted responses from the team's former president, Bill Polian, and Manning's current coach in Denver, John Fox. The former was flummoxed, saying of Irsay's remarks, "I really don't know what to make of it to tell you the truth," while the latter called them "a cheap shot."

Pat Kirwan of CBSSports.com and SiriusXM Radio wrote that "Not only do I agree with Fox, but Irsay's comments bothered me even more when I thought about what Manning did for the Colts and his place in NFL history."

rest - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24092017/colts-owner-jim-irsay-clarifies-remarks-about-manning-super-bowls

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 12:48 PM
from article:

By Wednesday, Irsay was trying to clarify his remarks (via Twitter, naturally):

Jim Irsay ✔ @JimIrsay

My comments meant if we gave Peyton better SP Teams n Def,we would have won more than 1 Sup/Bowl,instead of asking Peyton 2do too much

REALLY IRSAY - With what you originally said, how would anyone realize that you meant something else????

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 59m

I would pay large bills if Peyton opened his press conference today by saying, "Step off, Irsay. I'm hanging fifty on yo a$$".

underrated29
10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Nah, If I was manning I would get out there for the honoring thing, get the crowd on my side before the game starts. Then I would be like russell crow in gladiator "Are you not entertained!"

Sucker them in, soften them up and blow it in their faces.

GEM
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Carol, that link you just posted....check out the pic of Irsay....if that doesn't scream Alcohol Bloat, I don't know what does. :laugh:

artie_dale
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I read this today too. It all seems too much like a mind game that Irsay is trying to play out of desperation of his team losing to the QB who he let go. Drafting Luck was the right thing to do no matter what, but I think Peyton has a handful of years left in him.

I hope this all pisses Peyton off enough to have the game of his life.

Typical ego driven owner taking away the spot light from what the big picture is, and that is Peyton returning to the place where it all began to face the young QB who rightfully replaced him.

Irsay's logic is flawed since all he did was replace his great QB with a young future great QB. Attention whore.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 01:32 PM
With all the talk about Manning, it's easy to overlook that the colts probably have the worst run defense in the league. So despite the headlines going in, the winner coming out after Sunday is likely to be Moreno.

underrated29
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
With all the talk about Manning, it's easy to overlook that the colts probably have the worst run defense in the league. So despite the headlines going in, the winner coming out after Sunday is likely to be Moreno.

Do they really? I thought it was pretty good?

wayninja
10-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Do they really? I thought it was pretty good?

They've allowed 132 average yards per game so far, and SD crushed them with the Run game last week. Only the Jaguars have a rated worse rush defense, and we saw what Moreno did to them...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Fran Tarkenton ‏@Fran_Tarkenton 1h

Today I am angered and outraged by the classless comments of Jim Irsay against Peyton Manning. http://ow.ly/pSKZ4 #DENvsIND #NFL

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Fran Tarkenton's video in response to Irsay's comments about Peyton: WOW - did Fran put down the Irsays

https://www.facebook.com/FranTarkenton10/posts/659411047425968

LTC Pain
10-16-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't give a flying bat fart what the Irsay's think or say!

BroncoJoe
10-16-2013, 02:13 PM
“I hope he steps on their neck and doesn’t let up. That’s what I hope for, especially after that idiot, whatever you call him, spouting off his mouth,” - Todd Helton

wayninja
10-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Fran Tarkenton's video in response to Irsay's comments about Peyton: WOW - did Fran put down the Irsays

Why did he mention Bob Irsay moving the team to Indy? As much as I agree, seems like Fran wanted to take a few cheap shots of his own.

Spiritguy
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Believe he talked about moving to Indianapolis to talk about integrity and respect. The Irsay's showed a total lack of respect for Baltimore to slink out of town like that, and now a total lack of respect for what Peyton did for them In Indianapolis.

G_Money
10-16-2013, 02:28 PM

That's only true if we actually run the ball, which we didn't do enough of for 30+ minutes of the Jags game because Peyton wanted to call a bunch of passing plays, even when we were on the 2 yard line.

Here's hoping we figure it out faster in this game.

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 02:31 PM
“I hope he steps on their neck and doesn’t let up. That’s what I hope for, especially after that idiot, whatever you call him, spouting off his mouth,” - Todd Helton

Coming to defense of his longtime friend and Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, Rockies first baseman Todd Helton called Colts owner Jim Irsay an “idiot” for “classless” comments made about Manning’s inability to win more than one Super Bowl with Indianapolis.

After being fired by Irsay in 2012, Manning returns to play a football game in Indianapolis for the first time since the Colts cut him. “I hope he steps on their neck and doesn’t let up. That’s what I hope for, especially after that idiot, whatever you call him, spouting off his mouth,” Helton said Wednesday during The Press Box, streamed live on The Denver Post’s website and simulcast on Mile High Sports Radio.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/kiszla/2013/10/16/todd-helton-to-colts-owner-jim-irsay-youre-classless-and-an-idiot/1568/

wayninja
10-16-2013, 02:34 PM
That's only true if we actually run the ball, which we didn't do enough of for 30+ minutes of the Jags game because Peyton wanted to call a bunch of passing plays, even when we were on the 2 yard line.

Here's hoping we figure it out faster in this game.

~G

Moreno found the endzone more than Manning did. I think we'll do fine. Balance is good, especially when you have skill for both.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Believe he talked about moving to Indianapolis to talk about integrity and respect. The Irsay's showed a total lack of respect for Baltimore to slink out of town like that, and now a total lack of respect for what Peyton did for them In Indianapolis.

Maybe, but that's still a cheap shot. It's not like Jim moved the team, and Bob is dead.

Again, I agree with the core of what Fran was saying, but it doesn't change the fact that he took a shot of his own.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 12m

Thirteen minutes with Manning and not a single expletive or "idiot owner" reference. The man knows how to stand tall in the pocket.

Manning's message to Colts fans: "Truth is I never stopped communicating with them. I still get back there. Still get a lot of mail"

Manning on pregame ceremony: "I don't know what that's going to be or how that's going to change pregame preparation".

Manning on Irsay: "I don't have any answer or comment for you"

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 03:05 PM
from article:

Manning didn't offer much of a reaction to Irsay's comments Wednesday.

"I don't have any answer for you on that or any comment," he said while declining to speculate on what his state of mind will be at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday night.

"It's hard to predict how I'll feel emotionally," said Manning. "How I'll feel walking into the stadium, I can't tell you that right now ... it's just too hard to predict."

full article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/10/16/peyton-manning-colts-jim-irsay/2995297/

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 20m

Indianapolis TV stations hijacked Manning's press conference in Denver.

Peyton Manning taking the high road, not addressing Irsay comments http://instagram.com/p/filNm1BwYY/

Just a bit of the media crowd awaiting Peyton in Denver. pic.twitter.com/IaDCLHRtBu

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2h

I counted at least 14 video cameras filming the start of #broncos practice. Inc several stations from… http://instagram.com/p/fiXcQSBwSG/

Dzone
10-16-2013, 03:08 PM
You can keep defending Irsay, but the comments were a cheap shot and thats what Fox called it

GEM
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Why did he mention Bob Irsay moving the team to Indy? As much as I agree, seems like Fran wanted to take a few cheap shots of his own.

How's that? Fran didn't play for Baltimore. Those are facts.

Dzone
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Perhaps Irsay still has some resentment that in 1983, John Elway refused to play on a Team owned by Irsays dad. History proves Elway did the right thing, because Irsay Sr was one of the biggest dirtbags in NFL history. He snuck the Colts out of Baltimore in the middle of the night with moving vans. His son is simply carrying on the family tradition of Douchebagginess , arrogance and lack of class.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
How's that? Fran didn't play for Baltimore. Those are facts.

Yes, but what does what Bob did in the 80's have to do with what Jim said this week?

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 03:41 PM
I have read over his comments several times, and I have yet to find the cheap shot against Manning. It seemed pretty clear to me that he was taking a shot at Bill Polian way more than he was at Manning. This might be the most overreacted to comment ever.

powderaddict
10-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't think it's a good idea to piss Manning off, but I'm not upset he did!

wayninja
10-16-2013, 03:43 PM
You can keep defending Irsay, but the comments were a cheap shot and thats what Fox called it

Defending Irsay? WTF?

Did you even read what I wrote?

BroncoJoe
10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, but what does what Bob did in the 80's have to do with what Jim said this week?

Sins of the father....

I don't remember how it goes. Nevermind.

MOtorboat
10-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Anyone watch the press conference today...the Broncos PR guy tried to cut off questions three times, and the final time he was yelling at D-Mac. "That's all guys. D-Mac! D-Mac, that's it. No more questions."

lol

wayninja
10-16-2013, 05:04 PM
It's 2013. When are they going to fix it so we can actually hear questions asked in press conferences? I should patent that technology.

Broncolingus
10-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Jim Irsay ✔ @JimIrsay

My comments meant if we gave Peyton better SP Teams n Def,we would have won more than 1 Sup/Bowl,instead of asking Peyton 2do too much

REALLY IRSAY - With what you originally said, how would anyone realize that you meant something else????

I'm with ya, Carol...dude is a friggin lying scumbag.

...bull shit that's what he meant.

Slick
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
It's 2013. When are they going to fix it so we can actually hear questions asked in press conferences? I should patent that technology.

I mentioned this years ago. It bugs me. I hardly watch pressers anymore because of it. You can have the patent. Get it done.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Dungy is in town - this video was today

http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/9421789-cbs4-video-clip/

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay believes his comments to USA Today were taken out of context by Denver Broncos coach Jon Fox.

Irsay, who has taken center stage over Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis on Sunday, said he wasn't taking a cheap shot at Manning.

"Those comments were organizational comments, they weren't on Peyton or anything else," Irsay said at the Colts' facility on Wednesday. "You look in the past, we spent as much as 70 percent on the offensive side of the ball. Seventy percent of the (salary) cap. Really it's more talking about how you build a championship team to win multiple championships. I was very certain about how we wanted to go into the future into a new era in terms of our balance. I think (former Colts general manager) Bill (Polian) and I even talked about that the last few years before he left."

AND

When asked to talk about his relationship with Irsay since the Colts released him in March 2012, Manning said, "I can't and I won't," giving the indication there may be some tension between the two.

Irsay said he called Manning on Wednesday but has yet to hear back from. The Colts (4-2) plan to have a tribute before Sunday's game against the undefeated Broncos (6-0) where they will honor Manning.

rest plus video - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9835628/jim-irsay-says-peyton-manning-comments-were-taken-context

BroncoWave
10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm with ya, Carol...dude is a friggin lying scumbag.

...bull shit that's what he meant.

I believe that's exactly what he meant. His initial quotes make way more sense when framed that way. Why in the world would he poke the bear and criticize Peyton Manning this week? He's not stupid. Nothing in his original quotes implied that Manning was the reason they only won one title. It's just what many people inferred.

Dzone
10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
John Fox knows what he's doing taking on Jim Irsay
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264480/article/john-fox-knows-what-hes-doing-taking-on-jim-irsay

ShaneFalco
10-16-2013, 07:49 PM
the whole "star wars" thing really is a shot at Peyton. Irsay is just dumb

Dzone
10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
This was kind of interesting. And kind of stupid

What would happen if Peyton Manning was still the Colts QB?
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/peyton-manning-colts-broncos-sunday-night/

Dzone
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
You gotta see this video of Fran Tarkenton! "Bob Irsay disgraced the memory of Johnny Unitas" "Jim Irseee never put on a jock strap in his life!"
I love how Fran calls Irsay, Irsee LOL...This is awesome!!!!!!!! hahahqahaa

wayninja
10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
You gotta see this video of Fran Tarkenton! "Bob Irsay disgraced the memory of Johnny Unitas" "Jim Irseee never put on a jock strap in his life!"
I love how Fran calls Irsay, Irsee LOL...This is awesome!!!!!!!! hahahqahaa

You are a few pages late...

Dzone
10-16-2013, 08:55 PM
LOL...did someone already post that? Oh well, it is hilarious...Now I will go back and see the earlier post...thats what happens when someone doesnt read the entire thread before posting LOL:tsk:

Dzone
10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Where is it? , I cant find it. I was hoping it would generate a bit of discussion. A few laughs if nothing else. I love Fran Tarkington...ya I know, its not spelled like that lol

wayninja
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Where is it? , I cant find it. I was hoping it would generate a bit of discussion. A few laughs if nothing else. I love Fran Tarkington...ya I know, its not spelled like that lol

Carol, post 69. In fact I think you told me I was defending Irsay while talking about it, and I was all WTF you talkin' bout Dzone!

Dzone
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Carol, post 69. In fact I think you told me I was defending Irsay while talking about it, and I was all WTF you talkin' bout Dzone!
LOL...I know, I saw that, sorry man...I just thought you were being soft on irsy...Now I think irsee has made amends today and that was cool...so how long have you been a colts fan?
Why isnt anyone discussing this tarkenton video? Its a classic. My god, that was great..I am amazed at the national coverage this story has gotten. I listen to multiple national talk shows at work and the manning and irsy issue is all anyone is talking about. I love it. Just turn on the radio or tv and this is the top story

wayninja
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
LOL...I know, I saw that, sorry man...I just thought you were being soft on irsy...Now I think irsee has made amends today and that was cool...so how long have you been a colts fan?
Why isnt anyone discussing this tarkenton video? Its a classic. My god, that was great..I am amazed at the national coverage this story has gotten. I listen to multiple national talk shows at work and the manning and irsy issue is all anyone is talking about. I love it. Just turn on the radio or tv and this is the top story

I've never been a colts fan, and I wasn't going easy on Irsay because of anything he said today. I was simply saying that I didn't understand why Tarkenton, in his rant, brought up what Jim's dad did in the 80's. It doesn't have anything to do with what Jim said this week, and was just kind of a shot at him. I'm not saying it was undeserved, I just didn't get it. The guy can't really fight back, as he's dead.

There was a lot of discussion of the Tarkenton video!!!

Dzone
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Come on ninja, Have some fun with this. Fran was freakin hysterical...Just enjoy the show. Who cares whos flinging cheap shots. This is great entertainment and beats watchingt CNN any day

Dzone
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I've never been a colts fan, and I wasn't going easy on Irsay because of anything he said today. I was simply saying that I didn't understand why Tarkenton, in his rant, brought up what Jim's dad did in the 80's. It doesn't have anything to do with what Jim said this week, and was just kind of a shot at him. I'm not saying it was undeserved, I just didn't get it. The guy can't really fight back, as he's dead.

There was a lot of discussion of the Tarkenton video!!!
Being dead doesnt mean someone wasnt a dirtbag. Sorry , the colts question was just teasing. .I see youre not seeing much humor here and are very serious about this..thats cool. You have a right to your opinions, although they are not in the majority...carry on sir

AZBronco
10-16-2013, 10:57 PM
That is beautifully said. He calls a spade a spade, and his words carry weight considering what his resume was like at the time of his retirement.
Preach on Tarkenton!!!!

wayninja
10-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Come on ninja, Have some fun with this. Fran was freakin hysterical...Just enjoy the show. Who cares whos flinging cheap shots. This is great entertainment and beats watchingt CNN any day

Oh, I don't care at all that he said it, and it's certainly true, but it's hard to convince someone that they are bad guy if you are slinging just as much mud. Just pointing that out. Fran can rant about anything he wants.

wayninja
10-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Being dead doesnt mean someone wasnt a dirtbag. Sorry , the colts question was just teasing. .I see youre not seeing much humor here and are very serious about this..thats cool. You have a right to your opinions, although they are not in the majority...carry on sir

Nah, I'm not serious about it all, was just asking a question. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm being asked a serious question or one in jest. Guess I got it wrong.

I'm used to being in the minority, i think I'm 0-3 lately in that category.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2013, 11:38 PM
the whole "star wars" thing really is a shot at Peyton. Irsay is just dumb

Exactly, Irsay didn't mention QB's like Brady and R-Berger to take shots at the GM. If anything Irsay was taking shots at both.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Exactly, Irsay didn't mention QB's like Brady and R-Berger to take shots at the GM. If anything Irsay was taking shots at both.

He mentioned those QBs to show that teams with lesser QBs were able to win more super bowls than Indy. That is a shot at the GM for not putting a better team around Manning. That seems pretty apparent to me.

TXBRONC
10-17-2013, 09:28 AM
He mentioned those QBs to show that teams with lesser QBs were able to win more super bowls than Indy. That is a shot at the GM for not putting a better team around Manning. That seems pretty apparent to me.

The only quarterback he mentioned by name is Brady and he's never been consistent which is utter garbage. He doesn't mention Roethlisberger or Eli at all. He said those teams have more rings:

“We’ve changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these,” Irsay said, referring to his Super Bowl XLI ring. “[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these. Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/in-moving-on-from-manning-irsay-says-he-chose-championships-over-stats/

There is nothing in initial story that indicates he talking about Polian that came later as after starting catching hell for his original comments. Considering that the story center around Manning it's much more likely that he was talking Manning.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I just think he is smarter than to criticize Manning the week his team is playing against him. Had John Fox not reacted the way he did to the comments, I don't think this ever becomes a story.

TXBRONC
10-17-2013, 09:41 AM
I just think he is smarter than to criticize Manning the week his team is playing against him. Had John Fox not reacted the way he did to the comments, I don't think this ever becomes a story.

It was already a story that others had concluded that Irsay was criticizing Manning for not winning more Super Bowls. Fox didn't make this a story Irsay. Apparently he's smarter than that in fact from what I've seen he enjoys the attention.

BroncoWave
10-17-2013, 09:46 AM
:noidea: I dunno, I just don't see the slight at Manning in those comments. I suppose that's a way you could interpret it, but I'm just not seeing it. But hey, if it gives our team some additional motivation then I guess I'll take it!

powderaddict
10-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Well it certainly wasn't complimentary to Manning. I could see why Manning would be bothered by these comments.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Former Colts coach Tony Dungy was in Denver on Tuesday, promoting Internet Essentials, which offers $10 monthly Internet service to low-income families.

Dungy answered an array of questions:

Q: What was your reaction to Colts owner Jim Irsay taking apparent shots at Peyton Manning’s lack of Super Bowl success?

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/16/peyton-mannings-old-coach-tony-dungy-is-surprised-by-jim-irsay-comments/22512/

MOtorboat
10-17-2013, 06:36 PM

I didn't see this until now...

I hope Todd and Peyton take Jim out back after the game and give him a little Tennessee "love."

Simple Jaded
10-18-2013, 11:41 PM

"Lesser QB's"? We're not talking simple ProBowlers here.

Joker56
10-20-2013, 04:38 AM
I liked this ... lol
http://www.indystar.com/article/20131017/OPINION09/310170044/Cartoonist-Gary-Varvel-Taping-Colts-owner-Jim-Irsay?odyssey=obinsite

elsid13
10-20-2013, 07:23 AM
according to ESPN Manning hasn't return the phone call from Irsay.