PDA

View Full Version : Coyer 1, Bates 0

Hawgdriver
11-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Coyer's Bucs are #2 in the league in defense (PA) so far this season, and Bates' Broncos are #2 from absolute worst in PA in the league so far.

I am not second guessing Shanny's gutsy call, because I think something had to give--but it doesn't look like this is the year for Bates to validate Shanny's decision. I realize that Coyer is not the DC for the Bucs, he is only the D line coach, and the Broncos have had some significant injury and personnel issues, and some of the points came from special teams. So the blame doesn't sit just with these two coaches. All the same, it's a startling statistic, no matter how you look at it.

I bet Larry is looking forward to sending out his Christmas cards to Michael and Ted this year... :laugh:

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Why doesn't it say: Coyer -2 Bates -31

:lol:

But I agree. I was really happy when we got Bates. Now I'm not happy at all. I hope for some more changes next year either that or get stuff fixed.

Tough tough loss though.

Our D really sucks.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Hard to get the ball rolling with the inadequate personnel.

Coyer is a fat lard. Bates is a G.

Bates > Coyer

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 04:12 AM
:lol: @ fatlard. I dont know if anyone could get our D rolling the right way though.

I remember Ferguson was getting all cocky after we beat Buffalo saying how great our D was. :eek:

TXBRONC
11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Coyer's Bucs are #2 in the league in defense (PA) so far this season, and Bates' Broncos are #2 from absolute worst in PA in the league so far.

I am not second guessing Shanny's gutsy call, because I think something had to give--but it doesn't look like this is the year for Bates to validate Shanny's decision. I realize that Coyer is not the DC for the Bucs, he is only the D line coach, and the Broncos have had some significant injury and personnel issues, and some of the points came from special teams. So the blame doesn't sit just with these two coaches. All the same, it's a startling statistic, no matter how you look at it.

I bet Larry is looking forward to sending out his Christmas cards to Michael and Ted this year... :laugh:

Since Coyer isn't defensive coordinator I don't think that it's fair to say he is one up on Bates. Sure his coaching is important, but he's not responsible for the coordinating the scheme.

gobroncsnv
11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
The same could be said of either of these guys... Coyer didn't get to have the players he needed, and Bates doesn't yet. I would like to have seen how Coyer would have done with a decent front 4. Would like to see how Bates can do when he gets the DT's he is looking for, along with some consistency at LB. If the team can show the fortitude to stick with Bates, and back up the decision with a good off-season, I think we're gonna be ok. We ignored the dline too long to think that 1 year worth of draft picks would fix the problem. IMO, it is a player thing, not a coach thing.

champbronc2
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
:lol: @ fatlard. I dont know if anyone could get our D rolling the right way though.

I remember Ferguson was getting all cocky after we beat Buffalo saying how great our D was. :eek:

Too bad it sucks ass...:tsk:

silkamilkamonico
11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Since Coyer isn't defensive coordinator I don't think that it's fair to say he is one up on Bates. Sure his coaching is important, but he's not responsible for the coordinating the scheme.

Coyer's impact with the Bucs defense leaves very little to be desired. . I'm wondering why the comparison was even made in the first place.

Medford Bronco
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Hard to get the ball rolling with the inadequate personnel.

Coyer is a fat lard. Bates is a G.

Bates > Coyer

what does being a fat lard have to do
with being a better defensive coach :confused:

Its not like Bill Parcells was swelte when he
won Super Bowls with the Giants and is
one of the most respected coaches in history IMO

Lonestar
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
they both have great minds in football. Coyer takes a week to plan for a game and almost never changes up if something is not working..

Bate is playing with a 35 card deck as it stands. He does not have a personnel to play his system to the MAX so what does he do throws a change up.. He makes adjustments where coyer was a "LB's are us Defensive coordinator". bates is a let see what can we do with eh cards he has. Then we have like 19 DE on the roster trying real hard to make something out of less than great players.

Did Coyer fall into a great spot sure enough but is he calling the plays or designing the game plan I suspect not if the defense is playing well. That or they have yet to play a decent team..

Bates in a heart beat over coyer.. Give Bates another biggie DT next year and this defense will be something special after a year in the scheme.

These rookies from this year will be something special..

DenBronx
11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
bates has until next year to turn this around. i think he will have a lot of say in who gets picked come draft day for the defense.

it would be nice to pick up hanesworth in the offseason.

TXBRONC
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Coyer's impact with the Bucs defense leaves very little to be desired. . I'm wondering why the comparison was even made in the first place.

There is no comparison in my opinion because one is a defensive coordinator/Asst. Head Coach of the defense and the other is defensive line coach.

Lonestar
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
bates has until next year to turn this around. i think he will have a lot of say in who gets picked come draft day for the defense.

it would be nice to pick up hanesworth in the offseason.

That very well could make this team dominant along the lines of the bears SB team or BAL defense of a few years ago.

Just no weak spots.. well perhaps at free safety (deep cover), but heat up front makes up for a lot of weak sisters in the back field.

Hawgdriver
11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Blah blah blah...Coyer is fat... blah blah blah...Coyer's a figurehead coach...blah blah blah...Coyer has hemorrhoids, etc.

Last year, the Bucs were 22nd in the league in scoring defense, and the Broncos were #8--this year, the Bucs are #2 and the Broncos are #31. I realize that from that fact you cannot infer causality, but it is still a remarkable coincidence. Obviously the Broncos personnel issues are the #1 reason for the on field performance of the Broncos...and Bates might have done a better job than Coyer as a DL coach in Tampa, or Coyer a worse job than Bates as a Denver DC...all I'm sayin' is that Coyer has to feel a little bit smug about getting fired and then taking a leadership role in what is presently one of the league's elite D's, therefore, Coyer 1, Bates 0--but it should probably be Coyer 1, Shanny/Sundquist 0.

Someone claimed that Coyer is basically a no-factor in the Tampa D. Good point--who needs position coaches? Those guys are there for the paycheck, but that's prolly it, huh? Especially position coaches with the experience of being a DC and knowing how all the pieces fit...I wonder why Gruden was shaking Coyer's hand in welcome as he was leaving Shanny's office? My guess is that the Bucs had too much money and not enough fireplaces.

I hope Bates gets his players soon, because I happen to agree that Bates > Coyer...but right now it's pretty damn grim.

LoyalSoldier
11-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Our problems with the run defense did not start this year. In fact we had the exact same problems at the end of last season. Remember how LT ran all over us...TWICE! Then LJ in KC had a field day. Frank Gore had a heck of a game as well.

gobroncsnv
11-27-2007, 12:05 AM
And every QB we faced finished the game with a clean uni... And if Coyer didn't have the ability to adjust to different schemes, we'd have never beaten the Pats, especially in the playoff game.

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 12:06 AM
And every QB we faced finished the game with a clean uni... And if Coyer didn't have the ability to adjust to different schemes, we'd have never beaten the Pats, especially in the playoff game.

you must have never posted over at BM..

WAB
11-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Tampa's D is playing well because their secondary is back to what it used to be. Their DL still grades out, statistically, as average. They aren't amazing against the pass or defending the run.

Hawgdriver
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Tampa's D is playing well because their secondary is back to what it used to be. Their DL still grades out, statistically, as average. They aren't amazing against the pass or defending the run.

Mad props for the avy, WAB. Didn't have you picked as a Maynard fan, shows what I know.

I'm curious how Adams has panned out so far, any word? Dream, you kept up with GA? Sorry to 7500 my own thread...

I'm getting overwhelmed with the coaching contribution comments, and I don't really disagree. Maybe the contribution is 99% players 1% coaches, maybe it's 90%/10% or something else. I don't know. All I know is that Coyer has to be feeling pretty cozy, even if the Buc's dominance is no fault of his.

eessydo
11-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Apples to Oranges.

What if someone handed you a rusted out Jalopy with no working insides and said Turn that into a street Rod with the existing parts.

It is not going to happen. You have to see what you have that's workable to decide whether or not you need to REPLACE certain parts OR just overhaul everything.

The Broncos, including Coyer and management and shanahan handed bates a beat up old car to get around in. Some parts don't need to be renovated, like our CB's but others need restoration, our LB's and other parts need an overhaul or need to be replaced.

This is a year to see what we have, give him a couple of more years (I prefer 5 years of review) to see what he turns the thing into.

Some fans are like the annoying customer who is told it will take time to fix the problem, but keeps asking everyday, "is it done yet? why haven't you fixed everything.......what do you mean you will have to order some new parts? I figured all I had to do was change the mechanic and everything would be fixed."

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Apples to Oranges.

What if someone handed you a rusted out Jalopy with no working insides and said Turn that into a street Rod with the existing parts.

It is not going to happen. You have to see what you have that's workable to decide whether or not you need to REPLACE certain parts OR just overhaul everything.

The Broncos, including Coyer and management and shanahan handed bates a beat up old car to get around in. Some parts don't need to be renovated, like our CB's but others need restoration, our LB's and other parts need an overhaul or need to be replaced.

This is a year to see what we have, give him a couple of more years (I prefer 5 years of review) to see what he turns the thing into.

Some fans are like the annoying customer who is told it will take time to fix the problem, but keeps asking everyday, "is it done yet? why haven't you fixed everything.......what do you mean you will have to order some new parts? I figured all I had to do was change the mechanic and everything would be fixed."

outstanding response :salute: to you check your user CP area.

He needs a couple more parts new or used it does not matter. DT seems to be the BIGGEST ones needed to upgrade.. Also the hardest to find.. Hanesworth would be my choice. IMO unless we lose to injury other key pieces an instant key to winning the next Superbowl. If he is not available OKAM seems to be a rookie upgrade..

topscribe
11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I think we're getting over the top a bit on bashing the defense. (This is not a
moderating remark. I'm giving my opinion as a poster.) If you take away
Hester's two TDs and the fumble that ended in a TD, the defense gave up
13 points. That's good defense in anybody's language.

It would seem to me that the ST is the culprit in this one. You might have a
Cutler valiantly standing up and saying this was a "team" loss, but I believe
the ST lost the game all by themselves.

I just don't really believe the Broncos are all that destitute defensively. They
need a couple DTs, a WLB, and a replacement for Lynch, since Abdullah is
kicking butt. Do that, and I think Bates will be fine.

-----

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I think we're getting over the top a bit on bashing the defense. (This is not a
moderating remark. I'm giving my opinion as a poster.) If you take away
Hester's two TDs and the fumble that ended in a TD, the defense gave up
13 points. That's good defense in anybody's language.

It would seem to me that the ST is the culprit in this one. You might have a
Cutler valiantly standing up and saying this was a "team" loss, but I believe
the ST lost the game all by themselves.

I just don't really believe the Broncos are all that destitute defensively. They
need a couple DTs, a WLB, and a replacement for Lynch, since Abdullah is
kicking butt. Do that, and I think Bates will be fine.

-----

I agree almost completely on this.. Bates is not the problem. He is trying to use a couple of VW's on the DL instead of a military Hummer.

Major difference in capability.

WAB
11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Mad props for the avy, WAB. Didn't have you picked as a Maynard fan, shows what I know.

Hells yea hawg. Schism is probably my favorite song in the universe.

Anyhow, Gaines seems to be doing pretty well. They have some no names who are playing really well though, like Jovan Haye and Greg White.