PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Packers signed Tavarres King off our PS -- MERGED

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3m

Rookie practice squad WR Tarvarres King cleaned out his locker. Think he's getting signed elsewhere.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 7m

Broncos currently have a roster exemption for Von Miller, will need to make a move to add him to active roster by Saturday.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 19s

Talked to Tavarres King, who's on Broncos practice squad. GB has offered 53-man roster opportunity. But Broncos would like to keep him,

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1m

As of now Broncos don't have 53-man roster spot available.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1m

Ijust asked Tavarres King if he was going to Green Bay. "How do you know that?" Then he ducked into the bathroom. So, we'll see.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Tweets from Lindsay Jones and Adam Schefter:

I just asked Tavarres King if he was going to Green Bay. "How do you know that?" Then he ducked into the bathroom. So, we'll see.

With Packers in need of help, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Green Bay sign WR Tavarres King off Broncos practice squad.

Northman
10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Understandable. They had guys dropping like flies yesterday.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Shame...I really liked King as a developmental player

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I wonder if this means we just send someone to the PS when Von is back on the active roster instead of outright losing them. Not sure if we have anyone on the 53 who is PS eligible.

slim
10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Or maybe they will keep him. I guess we'll see how much they really like him.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Or maybe they will keep him. I guess we'll see how much they really like him.

It was reported that King cleaned out his locker today. Doesn't seem like we are keeping him.

slim
10-14-2013, 03:56 PM
It was reported that King cleaned out his locker today. Doesn't seem like we are keeping him.

Well, then I guess they don't think that highly of him.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, then I guess they don't think that highly of him.

When we are in win-mode now like we are, we don't really have room on the 53 to waste a spot on a developmental WR. Maybe they did like him, but just couldn't justify taking a roster spot away from someone who is helping us right now. If King can't play special teams, he would have been a waste of a roster spot, even if the team really did like his potential.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Okay, note to self: put WR back on list of 2014 needs since Decker probably won't be staying, continue aiming at Super Bowl this year.

slim
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
When we are in win-mode now like we are, we don't really have room on the 53 to waste a spot on a developmental WR. Maybe they did like him, but just couldn't justify taking a roster spot away from someone who is helping us right now. If King can't play special teams, he would have been a waste of a roster spot, even if the team really did like his potential.

You mean like Dysert or CJ Anderson or Vallos? There are guys on the roster that are not contributing.

I get it, they had to make a decision. But if they truly felt like he was going to be a stud, they would have kept him. It's not that complicated.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Okay, note to self: put WR back on list of 2014 needs since Decker probably won't be staying, continue aiming at Super Bowl this year.

I dunno, at the rate Decker keeps fumbling and dropping passes, the market for him might not be as strong as he would hope. He might stay affordable enough for us to keep.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
You mean like Dysert or CJ Anderson or Vallos? There are guys on the roster that are not contributing.

I get it, they had to make a decision. But if they truly felt like he was going to be a stud, they would have kept him. It's not that complicated.

For the 3 you listed, Vallos is useful for o-line depth and the Broncos probably think Anderson can contribute this season. I will give you Dysert, but if you are going to keep a developmental guy on the roster, it might as well be a QB.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Also, keep in mind that we were already going to have to cut someone for Von's return. That means even if we really liked King, we would have had to have trimmed 2 from the 53 this week. Just not enough roster spots to go around, even if you do really like a guy on your PS.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Also, keep in mind that we were already going to have to cut someone for Von's return. That means even if we really liked King, we would have had to have trimmed 2 from the 53 this week. Just not enough roster spots to go around, even if you do really like a guy on your PS.

Tony Carter and Quentin Jammer. Done.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Tony Carter and Quentin Jammer. Done.

I bet one of those two gets cut for Von (probably Carter), but cutting both really hurts the secondary depth, especially with the injuries we have had there this season.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Decker is likely to have over a thousand yards receiving, again. Pierre Garcon, same QB, same-ish system never got a thousand yards, but he DID get a 5/42 million contract. I dunno how likely it is that we pay Deck that, not with a decent crop of WR prospects out there. Heck, we could wait til the middle rounds, go with somebody like Abbrederis or Jones from ND or Huff from Oregon and do all right in this system. With DT, Orange Julius and Welker, we just need a guy who can catch the stupid ball when it's thrown their way a couple times a game to move the sticks. I like Abbrederis for that, and for a lot less than the 8-10 mil a year Decker may sign for. His drops are no worse than Decker's.

Between DT and Decker, I'd rather keep DT. IMO that means it's really unlikely we also pay Decker, that's all. Maybe we do, because Manning's giant salary should come off the books soon and we can squeeze it out. But with Von and Woodyard needing money soon, I doubt it.

~G

GEM
10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Well then...my oldest is now getting shitty dinner. Him and his stupid Packers! :lol:

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Decker is likely to have over a thousand yards receiving, again. Pierre Garcon, same QB, same-ish system never got a thousand yards, but he DID get a 5/42 million contract. I dunno how likely it is that we pay Deck that, not with a decent crop of WR prospects out there. Heck, we could wait til the middle rounds, go with somebody like Abbrederis or Jones from ND or Huff from Oregon and do all right in this system. With DT, Orange Julius and Welker, we just need a guy who can catch the stupid ball when it's thrown their way a couple times a game to move the sticks. I like Abbrederis for that, and for a lot less than the 8-10 mil a year Decker may sign for. His drops are no worse than Decker's.

Between DT and Decker, I'd rather keep DT. IMO that means it's really unlikely we also pay Decker, that's all. Maybe we do, because Manning's giant salary should come off the books soon and we can squeeze it out. But with Von and Woodyard needing money soon, I doubt it.

~G

Trust me, I'm far from a Decker defender, but if he came at the right price (which he could) I'd rather keep him than have to break in a new WR with Manning. Anyone in their right mind would rather keep DT, but there is a chance we could afford both IMO. I really don't think Decker is going to command a huge contract. Maybe I am wrong though.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 04:24 PM

~G

Not to mention that Decker's deal affects our ability to sign other FA's this year AND next year. If only Mike Evans could slide

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Trust me, I'm far from a Decker defender, but if he came at the right price (which he could) I'd rather keep him than have to break in a new WR with Manning. Anyone in their right mind would rather keep DT, but there is a chance we could afford both IMO. I really don't think Decker is going to command a huge contract. Maybe I am wrong though.

His agent is going to use comps. Based on those comps, he'll be looking for more than we can afford. The only way I see us getting him in on a cap friendly number is if he gives the worlds biggest discount. Otherwise, some team in need of a receiver is going to pay big money. You dont think a team like Cleveland or Buffalo...who have a ton of cap space... could use him?

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:29 PM
His agent is going to use comps. Based on those comps, he'll be looking for more than we can afford. The only way I see us getting him in on a cap friendly number is if he gives the worlds biggest discount. Otherwise, some team in need of a receiver is going to pay big money. You dont think a team like Cleveland or Buffalo...who have a ton of cap space... could use him?

Depends on what the market for FA WRs is this offseason. I will admit I have no idea about that. If it's a weak class he probably will get a big deal. But if there are some other studs available, we might be able to afford him.

Ziggy
10-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Hakeem Nicks will be out there, as well as James Jones, Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin, Denario Alexander, Emmanuel Sanders, Mario Manningham and some others. It's a decent class for 2nd tier WR's, but Decker will rank right up there in the top 2 or 3. He should get a nice contract from someone.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Yep. The comps for back to back 1000 yard seasons in a Manning offense get paid a ton of money. Even if you wanna just take back to back thousands, on the cheap, you're looking at somebody like Boldin after his AZ time, when he "only" got 4/28. IMO, the absolute best deal we're gonna get for Decker is something like 5/35 with 12 or so guaranteed. I mean Garcon got 5/42, DeSean Jackson got 5/51, Mike Wallace cashed in at 5/60... even Crabtree is 6/32. Jordy Nelson was gotten on an absolute steal of an extension, but I don't expect Decker to sign one of those.

Maybe we pay Decker at 7/season. Maybe. At 10 or 11? I don't see it. And I don't think he'll sign for just 7.

~G

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Yep. The comps for back to back 1000 yard seasons in a Manning offense get paid a ton of money. Even if you wanna just take back to back thousands, on the cheap, you're looking at somebody like Boldin after his AZ time, when he "only" got 4/28. IMO, the absolute best deal we're gonna get for Decker is something like 5/35 with 12 or so guaranteed. I mean Garcon got 5/42, DeSean Jackson got 5/51, Mike Wallace cashed in at 5/60... even Crabtree is 6/32. Jordy Nelson was gotten on an absolute steal of an extension, but I don't expect Decker to sign one of those.

Maybe we pay Decker at 7/season. Maybe. At 10 or 11? I don't see it. And I don't think he'll sign for just 7.

~G

I agree. And considering his "competition" on the market, he'll easily have the better numbers and consistency of the group.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah, if Decker commands 11 mil a season he can go kick rocks. He is not worth that at all. If a bad team gives him that expecting him to be their number 1 guy, I think they will be in for a pretty big disappointment. For 7 mil though I think I would keep him around. he definitely has value as your #2 guy.

Dzone
10-14-2013, 05:04 PM
He is going to be a star. Too bad it wont be here.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe we do still try to keep him? This was tweeted by Lindsay Jones:

Broncos have some roster issues to deal with. Have to clear a spot for Von Miller, and figure out if there's a way to keep King.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Jammer can go pound sand. We might need to keep Carter for absolute depth purposes, but we're still carrying Vallos AND Moffitt right? Probably only need one of those guys. There's a third string QB who is not seeing action we could live without too.

If we want to keep King, we can.

~G

Rick
10-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Well then...my oldest is now getting shitty dinner. Him and his stupid Packers! :lol:

Make him liver and onions, that will teach him. (unless he actually likes liver and onions, then you are on your own :))

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 46m

#Broncos have some roster issues to deal with. Have to clear a spot for Von Miller, and figure out if there's a way to keep King.

Rick
10-14-2013, 05:24 PM
With 4 TEs and JT playing so well I could see one of the other TE's get the axe.

slim
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Jammer can go pound sand. We might need to keep Carter for absolute depth purposes, but we're still carrying Vallos AND Moffitt right? Probably only need one of those guys. There's a third string QB who is not seeing action we could live without too.

If we want to keep King, we can.

~G

No, BTB ran the numbers and it appears it's not possible.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
No, BTB ran the numbers and it appears it's not possible.

Trolololol.

slim
10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Trolololol.

Uh, you just spent like 10 posts telling me it couldn't be done.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Uh, you just spent like 10 posts telling me it couldn't be done.

I gave my opinion. That doesn't mean the Broncos won't do something different. I don't THINK they will do it, but I have been wrong quite a few times before.

slim
10-14-2013, 05:56 PM
With 4 TEs and JT playing so well I could see one of the other TE's get the axe.

Tamme?

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2013, 06:23 PM

Tamme?

I hope not. If OJ goes down, Tamme is the only other guy who can really strain a defense at the TE position. Green and Dreessen are decent receivers and good blockers but Tamme is a better receiver by far.

King is a decent project but he's not irreplaceable by any stretch. I don't think we'll drop a guy at a different position just to bring King up. That means Caldwell or Holliday (our return stud? Um, no) would the one to get the axe being the 5th and 6th WRs, respectively.

slim
10-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I hope not. If OJ goes down, Tamme is the only other guy who can really strain a defense at the TE position. Green and Dreessen are decent receivers and good blockers but Tamme is a better receiver by far.

King is a decent project but he's not irreplaceable by any stretch. I don't think we'll drop a guy at a different position just to bring King up. That means Caldwell or Holliday (our return stud? Um, no) would the one to get the axe being the 5th and 6th WRs, respectively.

With the WR weapons we have, I don't know that Tamme would get many looks anyway.

FTR, I'm not really arguing for or against it. Just seems like one option, if they decide they want to hold on to King.

jhildebrand
10-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Keep King in Denver. I was surprised they cut him and risked it in the first place. He can have Manny Ramirez's spot.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
He can have Manny Ramirez's spot.

Wut???

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Shame...I really liked King as a developmental player

I'm still here, buddy.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm still here, buddy.

You will always be out favorite developmental poster, King. Maybe one day you can come up to the big leagues and become a Bronco fan. :)

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:40 PM
You will always be out favorite developmental poster, King. Maybe one day you can come up to the big leagues and become a Bronco fan. :)

I can't downgrade like that.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
You've met your team, right King?

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Why all this love for a dude who has never suited up and didn't even play well in the preseason? I don't think any of the active 53 players is so unneeded that we should drop one of them to keep a 7th WR. We've had injuries on the Oline, LBs, Dline, and Secondary. Let's cut a backup player at one of those positions to keep a practice squad player at a position so loaded that he'll never see the field... :confused:

Good luck in Green Bay, TK.

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:46 PM
You've met your team, right King?

I'm from Cincinnati. Everything else is just shit to me. I'd probably cut off a few fingers if it would guarantee us to win the SB.

Dzone
10-14-2013, 09:48 PM
King has a bigger chance of having an impact here than Dice. But Dysert could be starting somewhere where they are desperate ...The Texans would probably love to get him

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Was he a speedster, or a possession guy?

Dzone
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Didnt King have a rep for dropping balls at Georgia? If so, let him go to GB and drop balls there

Honestly, I thought TK looked good in preseason...but you never know...thought bubba would get more action this season, but he has not sniffed the field much

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Was he a speedster, or a possession guy?

He's kind of in between.

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:53 PM
He's kind of in between.

Derek Mason type of guy?

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Derek Mason type of guy?

Upside, probably yeah. Potential to just be a solid dude, kind of like Hines Ward, maybe.

Poet
10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Upside, probably yeah. Potential to just be a solid dude, kind of like Hines Ward, maybe.

Sounds like the type of guy that's hard to hold onto.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Sounds like the type of guy that's hard to hold onto.

If he's those guys, he's got to be a blocker, and I don't know if he is.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm from Cincinnati. Everything else is just shit to me. I'd probably cut off a few fingers if it would guarantee us to win the SB.

I put you in the acknowledgments of my second book. You're now officially the most successful export from Cincy. Congrats. *grins* Even if you have too much masochism to jump ship on the Bengals, we like you anyway. And I kinda respect that. Fandom is supposed to be like getting kicked in the nads for nine years only to get false hope in the tenth (and then two more nad kicks).

I'm a Mariners fan. My nuts are like cast iron at this point.

~G

Poet
10-14-2013, 10:02 PM
If he's those guys, he's got to be a blocker, and I don't know if he is.

Well, Georgia WR's suck at blocking. There's a certain WR in Cincinnati who couldn't block cardboard box.

Dzone
10-14-2013, 10:03 PM
I decided to read up on this kid ...why would he be cleaning out his locker if he was staying? sounds like he is outta here
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tavarres-king?id=2539235

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, Georgia WR's suck at blocking. There's a certain WR in Cincinnati who couldn't block cardboard box.

Ward could block just fine. Of course, he was at Georgia nearly 20 years ago, but still...

Poet
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Ward could block just fine. Of course, he was at Georgia nearly 20 years ago, but still...

Ward is one of the best blocker's of his generation. I was referring to Green, you big ole poopface!!!

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Ward is one of the best blocker's of his generation. I was referring to Green, you big ole poopface!!!

I's just sayin'.

Poet
10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
I's just sayin'.

I knows, I knows.

I am now a fan of this 'King', fellow.

Dzone
10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Well, with a name like Tavarres King, he is destined to become a huge star. You would hate to see a name like that go to waste. Naw, he will go to Green Bay and be all pro with Rodgers and we will be dickering with deckers contract wishing we still had The King :lol:

Dzone
10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
King doesnt have a strong jaw line..he looks kinda double chinned, almost cherub like...He doesnt look very tough

Elevation inc
10-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Stupid ps rules.....

tomjonesrocks
10-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Pretty lame Denver basically set their 5th round pick on fire. Obviously that wasn't a great selection.

Skinny
10-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Was he a speedster, or a possession guy?A quickster with rockhanditis.

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Hakeem Nicks will be out there, as well as James Jones, Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin, Denario Alexander, Emmanuel Sanders, Mario Manningham and some others. It's a decent class for 2nd tier WR's, but Decker will rank right up there in the top 2 or 3. He should get a nice contract from someone.

Nicks, Jones, or Maclin would be ok. I wouldn't go anywhere near Britt and Alexander. Britt because he seems to inconsistent and Alexander while he has a lot of talent can't stay healthy.

CoachChaz
10-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Nicks, Jones, or Maclin would be ok. I wouldn't go anywhere near Britt and Alexander. Britt because he seems to inconsistent and Alexander while he has a lot of talent can't stay healthy.

Britt is also a bit iof a headcase. I'd take Nicks in a heartbeat if I had confidence he'd play 16 games. Talent-wise, he's much better than Decker

BroncoJoe
10-15-2013, 08:16 AM
so - did he stay or did he go?

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 08:21 AM
so - did he stay or did he go?

Legwold is saying they will keep him.
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1608/good-news-on-franklin-king-to-be-elevated

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Huh, so I guess we are getting rid of two players this week. I had forgotten about that Robinson guy at LB, he probably goes for Von. For King, I guess we either get rid of one of Carter/Jammer or one of the TEs.

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:25 AM
So I'm a little confused on how exactly the practice squad works. Let's say GB tried to sign King, do we have the opportunity to match and sign him to our 53, or could they have just outright signed him with no possible chance for us to try to keep him? I always thought it was the second one, but it seems like GB tried to sign him and Denver said no and signed him themselves.

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 08:29 AM
So I'm a little confused on how exactly the practice squad works. Let's say GB tried to sign King, do we have the opportunity to match and sign him to our 53, or could they have just outright signed him with no possible chance for us to try to keep him? I always thought it was the second one, but it seems like GB tried to sign him and Denver said no and signed him themselves.

Two ways to keep a player, the player declines the other teams' contract offer or the team he is already on signs him to the 53-man roster.

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Two ways to keep a player, the player declines the other teams' contract offer or the team he is already on signs him to the 53-man roster.

So if GB offered him first, the only way we get to keep him is if he said no to them?

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM

My understanding has alway if you have guy your practice squad the team the player is with has claims on him first.

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
So if GB offered him first, the only way we get to keep him is if he said no to them?

Or sign him to the 53-man.

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:40 AM
My understanding has alway if you have guy your practice squad the team the player is with has claims on him first.

Yeah I've never been 100% sure. It makes sense that the team with his rights would be able to counter if another team tries to sign him away. If not, then a player on your PS might as well be a free agent.

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Or sign him to the 53-man.

I see. Makes sense.

CoachChaz
10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Glad they're keeping him

BroncoJoe
10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Two options:

1. We promote him to the 53 active
2. He declines their offer

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Two options:

1. We promote him to the 53 active
2. He declines their offer

I would imagine that second one happens pretty rarely. Can't imagine a player on a practice squad turning down an actual 53-man roster contract offer.

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I would imagine that second one happens pretty rarely. Can't imagine a player on a practice squad turning down an actual 53-man roster contract offer.

I would imagine. What practice squad player wouldn't want to be signed to an active roster?

G_Money
10-15-2013, 02:40 PM
King has some potential, and us moving the roster around to keep him (as well as Green Bay trying to steal him) are good signs that others see it too. He wasn't ready for the NFL out of training camp, but that doesn't mean he can't become a good pro (see Nacho, Duke) with a little more time to get up to speed. Glad he's apparently staying for another shot at cracking our roster.

I'm still okay with drafting Jared Abbrederis in the 4th, though, if Decker walks.

~G

Ziggy
10-15-2013, 02:44 PM
King has some potential, and us moving the roster around to keep him (as well as Green Bay trying to steal him) are good signs that others see it too. He wasn't ready for the NFL out of training camp, but that doesn't mean he can't become a good pro (see Nacho, Duke) with a little more time to get up to speed. Glad he's apparently staying for another shot at cracking our roster.

I'm still okay with drafting Jared Abbrederis in the 4th, though, if Decker walks.

~G

With Denver doing what they can to keep him, I'm wondering if they see him as Decker's replacement next season. He would certainly add an element of speed to this offense. He looked great early on in training camp and then faltered a bit as the preseason went on. I'd like to see what he can do next year when he's able to play on instinct and athletic ability and not thinking through plays like rookies do.

topscribe
10-15-2013, 02:56 PM
With Denver doing what they can to keep him, I'm wondering if they see him as Decker's replacement next season. He would certainly add an element of speed to this offense. He looked great early on in training camp and then faltered a bit as the preseason went on. I'd like to see what he can do next year when he's able to play on instinct and athletic ability and not thinking through plays like rookies do.
I don't think Decker enters into the picture, myself, Zig. I think they are trying
to keep King simply because he's a heck of a receiver -- which is why Green
Bay is trying to snag him . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
When the Green Bay Packers tried to sign away rookie receiver Tavarres King, the Broncos' front office countered with its own play.

The Broncos waived linebacker Adrian Robinson with the intent of adding King to their 53-man roster as soon as he signs the paperwork.

"It all happened so fast, it was crazy there for a while," King said Tuesday. "I didn't know if I was going to be staying here or moving up to Green Bay. But I love it here. This is where I was drafted. I want this place to be my home. Fortunately for me, I guess I got a little love back."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24315207/broncos-promote-tavarres-king-53-man-roster-waive

BroncoWave
10-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Robinson seemed like one of the expected guys to waive if we kept King. Now I bet Carter/Jammer is on the block for when we need to clear a spot for Von.

G_Money
10-15-2013, 03:11 PM
If Decker didn't matter, why would they care about keeping King? You don't jump through hoops to fire other backups to keep a backup who isn't even backing ANYONE up right now. I think they're absolutely keeping King as a hedge against losing Deck next year, because that way King already knows the offense and the play calls and we don't have to get somebody else up to speed. I remember Willis early in the year last year running the wrong routes and Manning getting picked because of it. And he already had pro experience.

We don't want those kinds of mistakes from another player in their first introduction to both the NFL and this system. If Decker stays, King is fighting with Calwell for the #4 receiver spot. if he doesn't, then King is trying to start. I expect him to be trying to start, hence the extra effort not to lose him. Like you said, he could be quite the receiver in time. We want to give him that time.

~G

CoachChaz
10-15-2013, 03:14 PM
King could be used like Randall Cobb is in the GB offense.

topscribe
10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
If Decker didn't matter, why would they care about keeping King? You don't jump through hoops to fire other backups to keep a backup who isn't even backing ANYONE up right now. I think they're absolutely keeping King as a hedge against losing Deck next year, because that way King already knows the offense and the play calls and we don't have to get somebody else up to speed. I remember Willis early in the year last year running the wrong routes and Manning getting picked because of it. And he already had pro experience.

We don't want those kinds of mistakes from another player in their first introduction to both the NFL and this system. If Decker stays, King is fighting with Calwell for the #4 receiver spot. if he doesn't, then King is trying to start. I expect him to be trying to start, hence the extra effort not to lose him. Like you said, he could be quite the receiver in time. We want to give him that time.

~G
You can bet if the Broncos retain him he is going to replace somebody, for
sure. But I don't think they want to let any receiver on the team go without
getting something significant in return. There is just too much talent there,
from DT on down to King. That's my take, anyway, FWIW . . .

G_Money
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
King could be used like Randall Cobb is in the GB offense.

This is actually what I was wondering: whether we're gonna squeeze them for a 6th or 7th rounder by either threatening to put him on the 53-man or actually doing it. He could be valuable to them, especially since Green Bay loves the deep routes to stretch the field. We cut a LB, Von is a LB, so that's a wash (rather than cutting a DB to add another linebacker, I mean). It's a cut that would work to add Von easily. I wouldn't be TOO secure yet if I was King that he's not going out the door for a draft pick. Or that Caldell might be so that King can have that spot.

Seems like a lot of work for a pick tho. More likely we want those deeper routes for ourselves even with Manning's lesser arm. Oz to King on the 50 yard fly seems more realistic, but we're waiting a couple of years for that.

~G

Poet
10-15-2013, 03:38 PM
King is either going to have Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball. In that sense, the kid is in a great situation.

slim
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
He should wear number 87

Poet
10-15-2013, 03:44 PM
He should wear number 87

I hope that he does that and becomes so good that many Bronco fans sport King87 jerseys.

slim
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
I would buy one.

CoachChaz
10-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I already have a Bengals jersey with that one it

Poet
10-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I already have a Bengals jersey with that one it

Don't tease me.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
According to PFT, we cut LB Robinson to sign King to the active roster

Army Bronco
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
So King is staying in Denver and LB Adrian Robinson is cut. Didn't see if anyone else already posted this already, if so, I apologize for double tapping.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I hope King can tackle because now that he has a roster spot he's going to be on STs if he's active. There's no way he's going to beat out the top 3 guys for playing time and I doubt he will even beat out Caldwell.

Most likely, he'll just be inactive every week. It's good to see the staff thinks so much of him, I just hope there aren't any more injuries to positions already hit by injuries (Oline, LBs).