PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Franklin injured, Louis Vasquez moves over on Broncos O-line

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 11:31 AM
from article:

After Franklin received treatment, he left the locker room on a set of crutches. The extent of his injury won't be known until after he takes a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday. But based on how difficult it was for him to move around after the game Sunday, don't be surprised if Franklin misses a game or two.

Should Franklin not play Sunday at Indianapolis, the Broncos could start Winston Justice at right tackle. Justice was signed last month after the Broncos lost left tackle Ryan Clady to a season-ending foot injury in the second game. Justice was a full-time starter at right tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009-10 and Indianapolis last year.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24303249/orlando-franklin-injured-louis-vasquez-moves-over-broncos

slim
10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh man, I hope it's not serious. We can't afford any more injuries to the OL.

GEM
10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh man...hope he's ok!! :( Love that guy!

Nomad
Oh man, I hope it's not serious. We can't afford any more injuries to the OL.

I always heard Manning can make the backups look great.

CoachChaz
The only bonus to all of this is that we have the benefit of having fairly talented back-ups in Clark, Kuper and Justice.

Northman
10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Next man up.

slim
10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
I always heard Manning can make the backups look great.

Well, he took a pretty good beating yesterday.

Nomad
10-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Well, he took a pretty good beating yesterday.

I was able to watch the first half at a restaurant, and he did get pounded. Was the second half just as bad?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2013, 11:56 AM
The only bonus to all of this is that we have the benefit of having fairly talented back-ups in Clark, Kuper and Justice.

Yeah, it's just kind of a bummer because it looked like we had the best pair of OT's in the league with Franklin and Clady.

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2013, 12:10 PM
We are not even halfway through the season.

I am getting worried that we simply won't have enough guys on the roster to be the same team come playoff time. I'm trying to get used to the idea that injuries may keep this team from achieving all that it would otherwise.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos were evaluating right tackle Orlando Franklin for both left knee and left ankle injuries Monday morning.

Initial exams revealed Franklin has both a sprained ankle as well as a possible MCL sprain in his knee. However, he was slated for an MRI exam and other tests Monday to check for any additional damage. Severe MCL sprains can often keep players sidelined for as many as six weeks.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1585/broncos-franklin-has-knee-ankle-checked

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 12:19 PM
from another article:

During the Denver Broncos' 35-19 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, right tackle Orlando Franklin left the game with a left knee injury and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams left with a neck injury.

full article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/13/4835982/denver-broncos-injuries-orlando-franklin-injured-in-35-19-win-over-jaguars

I did not know that Williams also left the game because of an injury

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 12:49 PM
We are not even halfway through the season.

I am getting worried that we simply won't have enough guys on the roster to be the same team come playoff time. I'm trying to get used to the idea that injuries may keep this team from achieving all that it would otherwise.

I guess the silver lining is that they are happening now and not in week 17

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I guess the silver lining is that they are happening now and not in week 17

If it results in IR like Clady, it's no silver lining, but you have a point.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Fortunately, he's the only one that has been in that scenario. But given the fact that Clark has given up the same amount of sacks in 4 games that Clady did in two...against arguably better pass rushers...I can live with it for now.

dogfish
10-14-2013, 01:24 PM

no, he's right. . . even if it does result in IR, having it happen early at least gives you a chance to get your replacements up to speed. . .

which doesn't necessarily change your point about injuries having the potential to derail our season. . . but as long as we can keep manning and his targets healthy, we should have a chance. . .

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 01:26 PM
That's the key. Keeping our bread and butter on the field should be our focus. yes...having a quality OL insures that happens, but it could always be worse than our current situation.

Magnificent Seven
10-14-2013, 02:10 PM
IMO.

LT: Chris Clark

G: Zane Beadles

C: Manny Ramirez

G: Chris Kuper

RT: Louis Vasquez

SR
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
IMO. LT: Chris Clark G: Zane Beadles C: Manny Ramirez G: Chris Kuper RT: Louis Vasquez

That's what it was yesterday after Orlando went down. I'm fine with that honestly.

Magnificent Seven
10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
That's what it was yesterday after Orlando went down. I'm fine with that honestly.

I mean for week 7.

dogfish
10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
it's well documented that manning can function behind patchwork lines. . . still not ideal, though. . . i hope franklin doesn't miss too much time. . .

TXBRONC
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
I wonder when we'll find out how bad it is?

Slick
10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Isn't JD Walton due to come off the PUP list this week?

Ziggy
10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
We have a ton of depth on this Oline. Kuper, Moffit, and Justice have all started quite a few games in the NFL. I hate to see the injuries, but Elway has done a phenomenal job of bringing in depth along the lines.

SR
10-14-2013, 02:39 PM

This afternoon i would imagine

Ziggy
10-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Yes, but I don't see him taking Ramirez's spot. Manny has played well this season, despite having a rough game yesterday.

dogfish
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM

yea, me too. . . guessing maybe sometime later this afternoon. . .

this blurb from MHR this morning is the latest i can find, and it's all speculative. . .

Update I (10/14/13, 8:15 a.m. MT):

The Denver Post's Mike Klis speculates that Franklin, who will undergo an MRI today, may miss a "game or two." It should also be noted that Vasquez, who moved over to tackle when Franklin went down, spent time at tackle in training camp due to injuries on the offensive line and seemed comfortable at tackle both last night and in camp.

See the original story below and check back for more updates as they become available...

During the Denver Broncos' 35-19 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, right tackle Orlando Franklin left the game with a left knee injury and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams left with a neck injury.

After the game, Coach John Fox did not give any additional details on either of the injuries. To compensate for the injury, the Broncos moved Louis Vasquez to right tackle and put Chris Kuper, who hadn't yet played this season, in at guard.

Franklin was seen after the game in crutches.

Orlando Franklin on crutches with a boot on his left foot

— Tom Helmer (@Tom_Helmer) October 13, 2013
Unfortunately, it sounds like the Broncos are planning to prepare for the Indianapolis Colts Week 7 matchup without Franklin.

Manning: "We have to see who our right tackle is". Sounds like he knows Franklin is gonna miss some time. Not confirmed.

— Vic Lombardi (@VicLombardi) October 14, 2013

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/13/4835982/denver-broncos-injuries-orlando-franklin-injured-in-35-19-win-over-jaguars

if it's just a few games, that's not such a big deal. . . the way this season's going, it's all about being able to get guys back healthy and up to speed before the playoffs. . .

powderaddict
10-14-2013, 02:44 PM

He can start practicing this week. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not confident about this - but I believe they have from this week until week 11 to make a decision if they want to put him on the roster, or permanent IR.

Yes, but I don't see him taking Ramirez's spot. Manny has played well this season, despite having a rough game yesterday.

It would free up Manny to move elsewhere on the line if needed though.

Ziggy
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
It would free up Manny to move elsewhere on the line if needed though.

I think Manny has found his niche in the NFL. He's a very good center, and a very average at best guard. Kuper and Moffit are both much better at guard, and Manny has been better at center than JD was when healthy.

Slick
10-14-2013, 02:51 PM

I agree, but at this point he'd be nice to have for depth instead of having to get another guy off the street.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Justice will be solid I think.

With all due respect to Kuper because he is effective, is anyone really thinking he can last more than 3-4 games without getting a severe injury again?

dogfish
10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I think Manny has found his niche in the NFL. He's a very good center, and a very average at best guard. Kuper and Moffit are both much better at guard, and Manny has been better at center than JD was when healthy.

i think you're right. . . i'd expect winston justice and/or moffit to be used before they'd replace ramirez with walton, who hasn't even practiced. . . however, if JD is healthy, he might take steve vallos' roster spot. . . he improves our depth if he's ready to go. . .

powderaddict
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Agreed. I like Manny at Center, and have never really trusted Walton.

But if injuries continue to plague the line, I'd there to be as much depth and as many options as possible.

Slick
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Justice will be solid I think.

With all due respect to Kuper because he is effective, is anyone really thinking he can last more than 3-4 games without getting a severe injury again?

Carol posted a tweet or something that said Kuper was limping in the lockerroom after the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 48m

John Fox said RT Orlando Franklin has knee and ankle sprains. The extent of which he would not say.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 17m

John Fox calling Orlando Franklin's injury a sprain (knee and ankle). Broncos are auditioning offensive tackles tomorrow just in case.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 51m

Only injury update provided by John Fox is knee + ankle sprains for Orlando Franklin, and neck sprain for Sly Williams. No timetables.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Broncos are getting a lot of neck sprains and stingers this year. Maybe we should bring back Tuten so the guys can push a 450 pound sled uphill with their faces and get swoll in the neck area to stop these sorts of injuries.

Maybe not... :tsk:

~G

DenBronx
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, it's just kind of a bummer because it looked like we had the best pair of OT's in the league with Franklin and Clady.

Yeah thats a huge loss to any team. Clady and Franklin are the leagues best bookend tackles. Manning would have a field day with both of these guys playing. Hope Franklin will be back at least after the bye week.

DenBronx
10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 17m

John Fox calling Orlando Franklin's injury a sprain (knee and ankle). Broncos are auditioning offensive tackles tomorrow just in case.

Sounds like it isnt season ending....which is what I was hoping for. He should be back in a couple weeks. We really need Franklin down the stretch!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

RT Orlando Franklin had walking boot on left ankle today. Also left knee sprain. No surgery but I'd be surprised if he plays vs. Indy.

VonDoom
10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Just saw this as well:

Franklin went for tests on his ankle and knee on Monday to discover the severity of his injuries. PFT has learned, via a league source, that Franklin is being considered day-to-day with an ankle sprain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/14/orlando-franklin-day-to-day-with-ankle-sprain/

So that sounds encouraging. Not sure about the Colts, but if he's not back this week, then he should be soon. Good news!

VonDoom
10-14-2013, 05:36 PM
i think you're right. . . i'd expect winston justice and/or moffit to be used before they'd replace ramirez with walton, who hasn't even practiced. . . however, if JD is healthy, he might take steve vallos' roster spot. . . he improves our depth if he's ready to go. . .

I had forgotten all about Walton until today. But yeah, taking Vallos' spot makes the most sense, at least to me.

TXBRONC
10-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Sounds like Denver might be somewhat dodging a bullet.

slim
10-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Just saw this as well:

Franklin went for tests on his ankle and knee on Monday to discover the severity of his injuries. PFT has learned, via a league source, that Franklin is being considered day-to-day with an ankle sprain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/14/orlando-franklin-day-to-day-with-ankle-sprain/

So that sounds encouraging. Not sure about the Colts, but if he's not back this week, then he should be soon. Good news!

:pray:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Good to hear about Franklin. I was worried that he was gonna miss significant time. Manning can make up for some of the shortcomings in protection, but it affects the run game and the deeper passing game.

Broncolingus
10-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Not very hopeful we're through week six and the injuries continue to pile up...

...every Super Bowl team, and winner, always talk about how important (and fortunate) they were to stay healthy.

Really need some good karma (or whatever the hell it is) and shake this damn injury bug...

...and they've certainly already paid their dues so to speak.

Spiritguy
10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Orlando Franklin ‏@OFranklin74 1m Thank you to everyone who has been concerned or praying for my leg Its a small time set back and it will be good as new in a few days 1Love

LTC Pain
10-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Orlando Franklin ‏@OFranklin74 1m Thank you to everyone who has been concerned or praying for my leg Its a small time set back and it will be good as new in a few days 1Love

I don't know about everyone else on this board but I think it's forkin cool when a player communicates directly like this about an injury!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know about everyone else on this board but I think it's forkin cool when a player communicates directly like this about an injury!

Orlando seems to be a pretty cool guy. The impression I've gotten is that his personality doesn't really fit his appearance.

TXBRONC
10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I hope he can go this weekend. He's a solid tackle with a down right ornery disposition on the field.

slim
10-15-2013, 02:38 PM
I hope he can go this weekend. He's solid tackle with down right ornery disposition on the field.

However, he did sprain both his left knee and ankle, and is not expected to play Sunday night at Indy. According to Jeff Legwold, best case is that Franklin returns Week 8 against Washington, while a post-bye comeback in Week 10 at San Diego is more likely.

Legwold says the team will consider starting Winston Justice in Franklin's place, while Mike Klis seems to think that shifting Louis Vasquez over and having Chris Kuper start at right guard is more likely.

Legwold adds that Denver is likely to promote WR Tavarres King from the practice squad, in order to keep Green Bay from stealing him away.

Promoting King and adding Von Miller from suspension will force the team to make a pair of cuts, possibly as soon as today.

Names to consider would figure to be Adrian Robinson, C.J. Anderson, and Quentin Jammer.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/franklin-likely-out-sunday-expect-king-to-be-promoted

LTC Pain
10-15-2013, 03:09 PM
So, next Sunday versus the Colts it will be Clark-Beadles-Ramirez-Kuper-Vasquez?

SR
10-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Oh man. If Denver cuts Anderson and can't get him to the practice squad some people here would flip their shit!

NightTrainLayne
10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
So, next Sunday versus the Colts it will be Clark-Beadles-Ramirez-Kuper-Vasquez?

This evening on Coach Fox's interview with Sirius/XM NFL, Fox said that if Franklin wasn't able to go that they would probably go with that lineup. Also, based on the way Fox answered that question, I hold almost zero hope that Franklin can go Sunday night.

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Not having your two tackles can be an absolutely devastating blow.

This sucks.

Davii
10-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Earlier today he tweeted "Done for the day, quality time on the couch" with this picture.

Obviously, a boot on Tuesday isn't normally good for a game on Sunday...

Joel
10-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Surprised no one posted Legwolds follow up yesterday; sounds like Franklin's out Sunday and at least Questionable for Washington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gCFx5jC_q4

... if Franklin progresses quickly there is an outside chance, the Broncos feel, he could be ready to play against the Redskins.

The Broncos will look at playing Winston Justice (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9625/winston-justice) at right tackle, but if they don’t believe Justice, who signed after the season began, is ready to go they will stick with the lineup they used after Franklin left Sunday’s 35-19 win over the Jaguars -- with guard Louis Vasquez (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12744/louis-vasquez) moving out to tackle and Chris Kuper (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9747/chris-kuper) playing at right guard.
The article also discusses the King situation and says we'll probably sign him to the 53, noting that would require freeing up roster space for him AND Miller. It concludes by stating," "In the past, players coming off suspensions have received one-week roster exemptions," so maybe we won't have to move two guys off the current roster immediately (just one, and eventually the other.)

This really sucks, even to those of us who were underwhelmed by Mathis and Redding in their prime and are no more impressed now. Clark's been a solid sub for Clady to this point, but Franklin seem to have really matured into a good all around tackle over the last year or so, and it's hard to believe we can be as fortunate filling his spot as we were with Cladys. Also, even if finally 100%, Kuper's always been good in pass protection but never the road grader at G that Franklin was at T, and Vasquez is much like a suped up version of Kuper: Great in pass protection, weak in run blocking. No idea on Painter; any data is welcome.

silkamilkamonico
10-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Not very hopeful we're through week six and the injuries continue to pile up...

...every Super Bowl team, and winner, always talk about how important (and fortunate) they were to stay healthy.

Really need some good karma (or whatever the hell it is) and shake this damn injury bug...

...and they've certainly already paid their dues so to speak.

Lots of SuperBowl winners suffered several injuries.

The Giants won the SuperBowl with basically an entire backup secondary.
Pakcers won their SuperBowl and were hit hard with injuries.

Army Bronco
10-16-2013, 02:12 AM
Oh man. If Denver cuts Anderson and can't get him to the practice squad some people here would flip their shit!We should cut Manning before CJ !

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

No practice again for Broncos right tackle Orlando Franklin. Just saw him walking to weight room - out of boot.

topscribe
10-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Well, that's true, except that I would place Kuper a bit above the "fairly" status . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Right tackle Orlando Franklin again missed practice Thursday, increasing the chances the Broncos will rely on a makeshift offensive line to protect Peyton Manning from former teammate Robert Mathis and the Indianapolis Colts.

If Franklin doesn't play because of his left ankle and knee injuries, Broncos coach John Fox has said his offensive front would line up as it did to finish the game last Sunday at Jacksonville. Louis Vasquez will move from right guard to right tackle. Chris Kuper will start at right guard. Kuper had been a Broncos starting guard from 2007 until the Broncos signed Vasquez as a free agent from San Diego in March.

Prior to Franklin's injury, the Broncos already had to move in Chris Clark to replace the injured Ryan Clady at left tackle, and shift Manny Ramirez from guard to center to replace the injured J.D. Walton and Dan Koppen.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24331248/franklin-out-again-broncos-peyton-manning-colts

Dapper Dan
10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
So...

Clarke-Beadles-Manny-Kuper-Vasquez

Pretty make-shift, but I hope it works. Vasquez was listed as "offensive line" in college. I am assuming he played OT at some point. The thing with those Texas Tech guys, you know they can pass block.

topscribe
10-18-2013, 10:33 AM
So...

Clarke-Beadles-Manny-Kuper-Vasquez

Pretty make-shift, but I hope it works. Vasquez was listed as "offensive line" in college. I am assuming he played OT at some point. The thing with those Texas Tech guys, you know they can pass block.
Well the thing the Broncos have going for them is that the "next man up"
at RG (Kuper) was one of the better guards in the league before his series
of injuries. I just hope Vasquez is as good a tackle as he is a guard.

igoe4broncos
10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
The dude sprained both his knee AND ankle. Even if he found his way into the lineup, he wouldn't be at 100 percent. Tackles need to be at the top of their game this week with Indy's speed off the end, so start Vasquez and hope he does a good job.

If it were me, I'd try and find a way to hold out Franklin until after the bye, giving him plenty of time to rest and heal up completely.

Traveler
10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
The dude sprained both his knee AND ankle. Even if he found his way into the lineup, he wouldn't be at 100 percent. Tackles need to be at the top of their game this week with Indy's speed off the end, so start Vasquez and hope he does a good job.

If it were me, I'd try and find a way to hold out Franklin until after the bye, giving him plenty of time to rest and heal up completely.

Time for Winston Justice to earn his salary, although it looks like Fox is going with Vasquez at RT & Kuper at RG.

Simple Jaded
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Winston Justice has always had as much ability as anybody, it's between the ears where he struggles. Iirc he struggles with false starts and holding calls.

claymore
10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Time for Winston Justice to earn his salary, although it looks like Fox is going with Vasquez at RT & Kuper at RG.

Maybe I am over optimistic, but Vasquez and Kuper could be a better combo than Franklin & Vasquez. :hope:

slim
10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
There is zero % chance of that. Franklin is a bad ass

Joel
10-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Maybe I am over optimistic, but Vasquez and Kuper could be a better combo than Franklin & Vasquez. :hope:
Maybe in pass protection, but in the run game neither provides the push or pancakes people like Franklin. For what it's worth, I believe they said during last weeks game that Vasquez has NEVER played tackle. That doesn't mean he CAN'T, but I believe he's always been considered a great pass but so-so run blocker. Maybe he'll be better at tackle, where run blocking doesn't necessarily require the power to shove back DTs. I hope so, because I hope we can run on Indys awful run D like SD did, but may need top performance from our line to do that when Moreno's winded, because we don't have the Bolts backup production.

Glad to hear Franklin's out of his boot though; that's a hopeful sign for him as well as the team.

Simple Jaded
10-18-2013, 11:46 PM
As much as I like Kuper the Broncos are now weaker at both positions, imo.

Broncolingus
10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
As much as I like Kuper the Broncos are now weaker at both positions, imo.

...and that was proved true last night.

Getting Franklin back at 100% will be key if the Bronco's hope to have any postseason success...

Traveler
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM
...and that was proved true last night.

Getting Franklin back at 100% will be key if the Bronco's hope to have any postseason success...

Kuper did look pretty rusty for his first time back.

turftoad
10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
The Colts exposed our makeshift line for sure.

Clarke didn't look very good last night either and Vasquez looked out of place. Manning didn't look very comfortable because of it.

Broncolingus
10-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Clarke didn't look very good last night either and Vasquez looked out of place. Manning didn't look very comfortable because of it.

I think that was the biggest issue on the offensive side of the ball last night...

...everyone - to include myself - wondered how the OL would handle (likely playoff) team defenses with good / above average pass rushers...

...I guess we found out where we stand in the here-and-now.

Need to get Franklin back...

...hopefully that'll be enough.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-21-2013, 11:53 AM
It also hurt our run blocking not having V and O moving the pile next to each other. Last night we only had two guys playing in the spot they started the year. I'm sure that also affected the play calling, which is understandable. Unfortunately, people still want to blindly execute Fox even though our offense has been petal to the metal when we had an offensive line that could block.

tripp
10-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Latest report I read on Orlando Franklin was that he was day to day. Still the same? We'll need him this Sunday, and Woodyard too.

slim
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Manning has played like shiite since he got knocked around in the first half last week. I think he may be dinged up a little. Some of the passes last night were just awful.

MOtorboat
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Manning has played like shiite since he got knocked around in the first half last week. I think he may be dinged up a little. Some of the passes last night were just awful.

This is a good point. After getting hit in the knees twice against Jacksonville, there doesn't seem to be a lot of oomph on his passes.

slim
10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
This is a good point. After getting hit in the knees twice against Jacksonville, there doesn't seem to be a lot of oomph on his passes.

He hasn't been on the injury report, so I am guessing he is hurting and hasn't said anything. But I am pretty convinced that something is wrong with him.

Lancane
10-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Manning I believe is being gun-shy because the line can not protect him, at least more so then being injured himself. Between fumbles, successful pass rushes and injuries the line looks like a rag-tag bunch which belong in Chicago more then what we've come to expect in Denver. I guess that goes to show the value Clady had, heck I bet Manning wishes he had Walton or Koppen back over Ramirez who is a better guard then center anyways.

silkamilkamonico
10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Manning I believe is being gun-shy because the line can not protect him, at least more so then being injured himself. Between fumbles, successful pass rushes and injuries the line looks like a rag-tag bunch which belong in Chicago more then what we've come to expect in Denver. I guess that goes to show the value Clady had, heck I bet Manning wishes he had Walton or Koppen back over Ramirez who is a better guard then center anyways.

I agree with this too. It almost looks like he's just trying to hurry the ball out because he doesn't trust his pocket.

GEM
10-21-2013, 01:29 PM
There is zero % chance of that. Franklin is a bad ass

Slim recognized!!!

My boy Orlando is the beeeeees kneeeeees!!! Badass for short.

GEM
10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Manning threw some good passes last night, I think he's playing quick and a bit scared more than he's hurt. He doesn't trust this line and it shows.

Joel
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
It also hurt our run blocking not having V and O moving the pile next to each other. Last night we only had two guys playing in the spot they started the year. I'm sure that also affected the play calling, which is understandable. Unfortunately, people still want to blindly execute Fox even though our offense has been petal to the metal when we had an offensive line that could block.
This; I'll even add that Ramirez may have started the year at center, but only because our first two choices went down before Opening Day. The only lineman playing where he "belongs" is Beadles, and it showed most glaringly on the safety and interception, but was there all night. Moreno was back to getting hit in the backfield and having truck or spin-move two guys just to reach the LoS. Those drives where we moved at the end? Anyone else notice how manyt times Manning had to step up to avoid the rush then? And on the last play before the FG they STILL got him.

We had TWO three-and-outs in the first quarter because we couldn't run for it on 3rd and 1 like we did against Jax and Dallas; the next we had 3rd and 1 we converted through the air. If I noticed that, the Colts surely did, too; they concluded early on the could just tee off on Manning, and did so. With our weakness at tackle that quickly got nightmarish, and I agree with Lancane that's why Mannings passes looked so bad all night. Same old deal: Teams with weak running can pass and teams with weak passing can run, but teams with weak blocking can only punt—IF they're lucky.

topscribe
10-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Manning threw some good passes last night, I think he's playing quick and a bit scared more than he's hurt. He doesn't trust this line and it shows.
Well, passing for 386 yards and 3 TDs, completing 60% of his passes, I think
he did a marvelous job, considering the fact he was running for his life for
half the game. Were it not for a couple fumbles, he played well enough to
win the game . . .

Lancane
10-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Well, passing for 386 yards and 3 TDs, completing 60% of his passes, I think
he did a marvelous job, considering the fact he was running for his life for
half the game. Were it not for a couple fumbles, he played well enough to
win the game . . .

And that's the crux of the problem, he shouldn't have to be running for his life, and if you get those fumbles back Denver could have won the game. Peyton was never the most polished passer but he makes up for that in all other areas - not fair to ask him to do more at his age and with certain health concerns, the Front Office needs to fortify the man's protection.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think Manning played well. For someoene that "doesn't trust" his OL..he sure held onto the ball a long time during that "safety" and another sack.

Our OL is looking pretty bad, for sure. We REALLY need some of these guys to get healthy and back on the field. Super Bowl runs RELY on a healthy team, and this isn't looking good for that kind of go.

topscribe
10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't think Manning played well. For someoene that "doesn't trust" his OL..he sure held onto the ball a long time during that "safety" and another sack.

Our OL is looking pretty bad, for sure. We REALLY need some of these guys to get healthy and back on the field. Super Bowl runs RELY on a healthy team, and this isn't looking good for that kind of go.
You're talking about two plays out of an entire game. I can do one better:
Had Manning moved up in the pocket during that play that ended in a safety,
there would have been no safety.

But we have to understand we're talking about a man, not a god. He's the
best QB in the league, but that doesn't mean he's mistake-free. I'm sure you
will agree that a lot of teams would dearly love to have a QB who got the
numbers Peyton did and still call it a "bad" game.

As Lancane and you implied, we can't have Peyton getting hit like he did
against Indy. He's not 25 anymore. Much more of that, and we'll be hoping
Osweiler can become a good QB this season . . .