PDA

View Full Version : Another classic comeback, for the ages!

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Those of us fortunate enough to have had the Pats-Saints game piped into our region got yet another opportunity to witness the magic of Tom Brady at work in crunch time. I was left wondering how he was able to do it again, given the questionable array of available receivers he has at his disposal!

I confess, I was more than a bit concerned with the way that game was going, but man....what a finish!

Northman
10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Certainly a clutch drive by Brady.

chazoe60
10-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I didn't watch the game but didn't he have 3 chances in the last 5 minutes or something like that? Any pro QB with three chances to score 1 TD to win a game should be able to do that.

Northman
10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
He did make a HORRIBLE INT on the previous drive. They had 2 minutes and some change and he got greedy. It really made no sense at the point in time to go deep like that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
That was a good drive by the Pats, coupled with some pretty crappy clock management by the Saints in the last 3 minutes.

Timmy!
10-14-2013, 11:08 AM
The Saints handed that game to the Pats after Brady handed it to them with a dumbass int with 2min left.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah, the ending got sloppy. A few really stupid defensive plays by the Saints really helped him out. Letting someone go out of bounds...single cooverage on outside routes...etc

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I can't believe that the Saints had two possessions with less than 2:45 or so on the clock, and couldn't whittle off more time than they did.

Two possessions and less than a minute of game time off the clock? That loss is on the Saint's offense in my mind. The defense did their job twice. Terrible clock management.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Looks like Jangles is the type to disappear after a loss, and return after a win...

Thanks OR.

OrangeHoof
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
It was a classic comeback...made necessary after blowing a 17-7 halftime lead and giving up a 3rd-and-20 for the TD followed by two ridiculously awful possessions before the great comeback TD.

Kinda reminded me of the time the Broncos looked awful all day and trailed the Chiefs, 13-0, with three minutes to go only to see Elway produce two TD drives at the finish to win it, 14-13. Memorable comeback, yes, but where was this the previous 57 minutes?

WTE
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Great win but came at a high cost w/ more key injuries.

Amendola with severe head injury. Jared Mayo leaves game in a sling and a hip flexor for Talib.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three miss several games.

Tough year with injuries for New England.

chazoe60
10-14-2013, 02:28 PM

Amendola with severe head injury. Jared Mayo leaves game in a sling and a hip flexor for Talib.

Who could have forseen Amendola being injured so often?

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Welcome to the club. By the time we play each other, the practice squads will be the starters

WTE
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Who could have forseen Amendola being injured so often?

I'm wondering if the same is going to be true for Aqib Talib as well. All during the game yesterday people were sending out Tweets saying his value keeps going up and up and up. Then he gets hurt again.

Pulled a hammy in last year's playoff game against Baltimore and Patriots had no answer after that. And now a hip.

Ravage!!!
10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
The coaches were breaking down the NO defense at the end of that game, and just couldn't express enough that not only was it bad playing, but the "fundamentals" were horrible. Even Harrison (who can't stop bragging about the patriots) couldn't defend how bad the Saints defense blew everything about that defense. Give a QB three shots to win a game, and something is going to happen positive eventually.

WTE
10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm just glad Thomkins didn't drop the ball.

wayninja
10-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, it was a good win.

Also, WTF is this????

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Tom-Brady-white-sweater.jpg

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 05:10 PM
That new haircut is brutal. I hope he stiffed the male hairdresser on the tip.

BroncoWave
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it was a good win.

Also, WTF is this????

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Tom-Brady-white-sweater.jpg

Wow. He has to be trolling us at this point. Either that, or he really is just super gay.

wayninja
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
It's like he just won the fancy award for being the dandiest lad on metrosexual island

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Looks like Jangles is the type to disappear after a loss, and return after a win...

Thanks OR.

Where do you come up with crap like that, MOtorMouth? Not even close to being true.

No question, I'm in a better mood this week, but what would you expect.

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I didn't watch the game but didn't he have 3 chances in the last 5 minutes or something like that? Any pro QB with three chances to score 1 TD to win a game should be able to do that.

:confused: :rolleyes: :lol:

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 07:33 PM
He did make a HORRIBLE INT on the previous drive. They had 2 minutes and some change and he got greedy. It really made no sense at the point in time to go deep like that.

True dat! But he certainly atoned for it when the Pats, fortunately, got another shot at it. He made several good plays and his receivers held on to the ball. Collie, a new acquisition, pulled in two of them.

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I can't believe that the Saints had two possessions with less than 2:45 or so on the clock, and couldn't whittle off more time than they did.

Two possessions and less than a minute of game time off the clock? That loss is on the Saint's offense in my mind. The defense did their job twice. Terrible clock management.

It wasn't clock management problems. The NE D stuffed them.

olathebroncofan
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I only caught the 4th quarter. I taped both games. That was a great 4th quarter. Tom is just clutch. Yes he gave up the int, but he made up for it.

I was torn about who I wanted to win. I wanted ne to lose as many as possible, but I also wanted us and KC to be the only undefeated teams.

WTE
10-14-2013, 07:37 PM
True dat! But he certainly atoned for it when the Pats, fortunately, got another shot at it. He made several good plays and his receivers held on to the ball. Collie, a new acquisition, pulled in two of them.

I think Austin Collie will be huge w/ Amendola hurt again. Seems to fit in nicely w/ this system. He had a terrific catch on 4th down in crunch time.

chazoe60
10-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Imagine what Welker would do in that offense. :laugh:

Mr Bojangles
10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
I think Austin Collie will be huge w/ Amendola hurt again. Seems to fit in nicely w/ this system. He had a terrific catch on 4th down in crunch time.

Yeah....and they're going to need every bit of help they can get, with all the injuries.

5-1, with a lot of 2nd stringers and mostly rookie receivers..! Can you imagine how good these Patriots would be if they were fielding the team they expected to, back in April.

I think Chaz is getting a little nervous about the upcoming showdown.....I can tell by the way he's running his mouth.

WTE
10-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Imagine what Welker would do in that offense. :laugh:

Brady became too dependent on Wes and NE was too one dimensional the past few years. Good defenses figured that if you take away Wes and the inside game you paralyze NE's offense.

So it was addition by subtraction. Brady is now being forced to spread the ball more. To look outside the hash marks. They are getting better and better w/ this approach and they are 5-1.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Brady became too dependent on Wes and NE was too one dimensional the past few years. Good defenses figured that if you take away Wes and the inside game you paralyze NE's offense.

So it was addition by subtraction. Brady is now being forced to spread the ball more. To look outside the hash marks. They are getting better and better w/ this approach and they are 5-1.

No they didn't.

They used Welker to hit the short balls repeatedly, and then when they had the safeties biting they went over the top with Gronkowski and Hernandez. They don't have the tight ends to do that this year, and are running more vertical routes with the outside receivers.

Not to mention they don't have a sure-handed safety valve coming out of the backfield like they did with Woodhead. They simply don't have the talent at receiver and tight end they had last year.

Slick
10-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Yeah, it was a good win.

Also, WTF is this????

It's Forrest Gump, or is it Carl from Slingblade? I can't decide.

WTE
10-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Mo, you're wrong. Look at the defensive strategy in the playoffs that NYJ employed a couple years ago to knock NE out and what Baltimore has done repeatedly as well. They took away the inside game. At times NE tried to force Wes on the sidelines or downfield and it was incomplete. Hence the reputation that Wes was a choker in big games.

It wasn't that Wes was a choker but more that Brady and NE put Wes in a position he shouldn't be in. Wes does not have the size or speed to be a downfield or sideline receiver w/ consistent accuracy. But Brady often forced it to him when he had better options.

Hence, addition by subtraction. Same reason they got rid of Moss. Brady was forcing too much to his binkie.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Mo, you're wrong. Look at the defensive strategy in the playoffs that NYJ employed a couple years ago to knock NE out and what Baltimore has done repeatedly as well. They took away the inside game. At times NE tried to force Wes on the sidelines or downfield and it was incomplete. Hence the reputation that Wes was a choker in big games.

It wasn't that Wes was a choker but more that Brady and NE put Wes in a position he shouldn't be in. Wes does not have the size or speed to be a downfield or sideline receiver w/ consistent accuracy. But Brady often forced it to him when he had better options.

Hence, addition by subtraction. Same reason they got rid of Moss. Brady was forcing too much to his binkie.

Their productivity gets worse every time, though, so I don't know how you can conclude addition by subtraction.

Didn't they sign Amendola with the idea of using him in the exact same way, underneath and short outs, and let the tight ends go vertical? That's the philosophy they want to use, but the current tight end group isn't good enough to do that. That's why the midgets are running deep routes. The good news is that Collie is more of a vertical receiver than Thompkins and Amendola, so they have at least that until Gronkowski gets back and opens up the passing game to be a little more creative underneath.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
And Edelman too. Not a vertical receiver, an underneath, possession guy, just like Welker. Just not as good.

FanInAZ
10-14-2013, 08:07 PM
NO was so afraid that they'd lose the game with 1 big mistake that they wouldn't just step up & win the game.

2 runs, pass & FG
2 runs, pass & punt

That wasn't game plan that got them the lead, it was the game plan that lost the game they had all but won.

WTE
10-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Mo, any slot receiver in NE's offense will get 100+ receptions per year. Doesn't matter if it's Wes, Amendola or Edelman.

And I think they preferred Amendola over Welker b/c he is bigger, faster and younger than Wes. Also, I think Wes didn't tow the company line at times and I think that pissed off BB much more than many of you realize.

But the secret to beating NE the past couple years was to clog the middle. This year I am seeing a much more concerted effort by Brady and his rookie receivers to use the entire field more often.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Mo, any slot receiver in NE's offense will get 100+ receptions per year. Doesn't matter if it's Wes, Amendola or Edelman.

And I think they preferred Amendola over Welker b/c he is bigger, faster and younger than Wes. Also, I think Wes didn't tow the company line at times and I think that pissed off BB much more than many of you realize.

But the secret to beating NE the past couple years was to clog the middle. This year I am seeing a much more concerted effort by Brady and his rookie receivers to use the entire field more often.

I realize there were other circumstances other than production that led to his release. But let's not kid ourselves. The Patriots do NOT have the production out of the slot this year that he provided the last six. That's not addition by subtraction.

WTE
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I realize there were other circumstances other than production that led to his release. But let's not kid ourselves. The Patriots do NOT have the production out of the slot this year that he provided the last six. That's not addition by subtraction.

I agree with you on that. The biggest piece of production they don't have without Wes is TD's. And yes, every time NE fans see Wes score a TD in Denver we cringe.

But half the reason our slot TD production is crap is due to what happened to our TE core. That was unexpected when NE let Wes go and they signed Amendola. NE did not know one of their TE's was a serial killer and their team doctor totally fuk'd up the surgery on Gronk with that unnecessary implant.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I agree with you on that. The biggest piece of production they don't have without Wes is TD's. And yes, every time NE fans see Wes score a TD in Denver we cringe.

But half the reason our slot TD production is crap is due to what happened to our TE core. That was unexpected when NE let Wes go and they signed Amendola. NE did not know one of their TE's was a serial killer and their team doctor totally fuk'd up the surgery on Gronk with that unnecessary implant.

That's my point. Welker opened it up for Gronk and Hernandez going vertical. The Patriots probably miss them more than Welker, but they still miss Welker.

Without all three, it looks kind of like a cluster.

WTE
10-14-2013, 08:42 PM
That's my point. Welker opened it up for Gronk and Hernandez going vertical. The Patriots probably miss them more than Welker, but they still miss Welker.

Without all three, it looks kind of like a cluster.

Yes. You are right about that but NE still looked for Welker too often in positions he should not be in. Wes is strictly a slot receiver. He should not be running deep downfield. Brady does not have the type of arm to drop it in to a short receiver. Brady guns it and as a result Welker often dropped it.

But I disagree that w/out Welker it looks like a cluster. It has at times but they have more impactful injuries than most people realize. Losing Shane Vereen after week 1 is crushing. He was why they had no problem getting rid of Woodhead.

I hope by the time NE plays Denver they are totally healthy on offense. I think you will be quite surprised w/ what you see.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 08:44 PM
But I disagree that w/out Welker it looks like a cluster.

Not just Welker.

Without Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Woodhead and oft-injured Amendola...it looks like a cluster. I'm just not sure Brady knows exactly where to go, because he's not sure who he can rely on.

Slick
10-14-2013, 08:49 PM
You've already cringed more times this year than you cheered last year and it's only been 6 games Worst Troll Ever.

WTE
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
You've already cringed more times this year than you cheered last year and it's only been 6 games Worst Troll Ever.

5-1. I'm doing just fine.

wayninja
10-14-2013, 11:21 PM
This is smack, take your reasonable, informed discussion elsewhere.

Can we please go back to the fact that Brady looked like an uncircumcised penis shoved through a doily at his presser?

Mr Bojangles
10-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Not just Welker.

Without Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Woodhead and oft-injured Amendola...it looks like a cluster. I'm just not sure Brady knows exactly where to go, because he's not sure who he can rely on.

MO, what I really, really appreciate is your willingness to share your vast knowledge and insight of the Patriots franchise and taking the time to explain the intricacies of our own team, to us.

Mr Bojangles
10-15-2013, 10:41 AM
This is smack, take your reasonable, informed discussion elsewhere.

Can we please go back to the fact that Brady looked like an uncircumcised penis shoved through a doily at his presser? HAHA

Talk about his looks all you want, Wayn, but the fact is the man turns down more ass in a week than you and MO will see in your lifetimes.... not that MO contributes much to the score.

MOtorboat
10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
MO, what I really, really appreciate is your willingness to share your vast knowledge and insight of the Patriots franchise and taking the time to explain the intricacies of our own team, to us.

Every day you post, I appreciate WTE and PAGs more.

:2thumbs:

wayninja
10-15-2013, 10:59 AM
HAHA

Talk about his looks all you want, Wayn, but the fact is the man turns down more ass in a week than you and MO will see in your lifetimes.... not that MO contributes much to the score.

True, but I don't like little boys' asses anyway.

I mean, what type of ass is he trolling for in that getup anyway? AARP widows?