PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Von Miller serves out NFL suspension

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 09:43 AM
As reinstatement from his six-game NFL suspension drew near, Von Miller started counting down the hours.

One week and two days. Three days and two hours. One day and 11 hours.

"It hasn't gone by fast, though," he said during a sitdown interview with The Denver Post. "A lot of people have said it went by fast. It hasn't. It wasn't easy. And I don't want to get away from that. I want to stay with that focus that it's not easy."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24303437/lot-people-said-it-went-by-fast-it

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 09:45 AM
from article:

For clarity, Miller's troubles had nothing to do with performance-enhancing drugs. Because he has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Miller has a therapeutic use exemption for Adderall.

"Since my freshman year in college," he said.

He tested positive for marijuana in 2011 as a rookie.

"I don't have a substance-abuse problem," he said. "I feel like I've definitely made some mistakes in the past. I can't shy away from that. But I'm working hard to fix it. I'm working hard to gain everybody's trust back. All I can ask is people judge me from my actions going forward. I'm working hard to gain trust back. I'm very confident I'll be able to do that."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24303437/lot-people-said-it-went-by-fast-it

SR
10-14-2013, 10:04 AM
We'll see

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Considering how bad of a word marijuana is here...I'm surprised he has any fans left on this board

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I just hope he can come out strong and play like we all know he can out of the gate. Whatever his motivation is to return to form, I hope he's fired up. The defense needs him.

TXBRONC
10-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Considering how bad of a word marijuana is here...I'm surprised he has any fans left on this board

I'm still a fan. What he did was foolish but he's still an untra talented player that make Denver a better football team and I enjoy watching him play.

Northman
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
I admire his talent but the team comes first, if his personal decisions create a problem for that than thats on him. Fans arent obligated to forgive him and really, he's the one who has to take accountability so hopefully he has learned his lessons.

blamkin86
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM

The guy actively tried to cheat the test - that's my problem with him.

Athlete Worship isn't my specialty, sorry.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I admire his talent but the team comes first, if his personal decisions create a problem for that than thats on him. Fans arent obligated to forgive him and really, he's the one who has to take accountability so hopefully he has learned his lessons.

I agree with this sentiment. I was more referring to people judging him simply for the fact that he inhaled

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 11:16 AM
The guy actively tried to cheat the test - that's my problem with him.

Athlete Worship isn't my specialty, sorry.

Let's not pretend he wasnt ridiculed before we learned he cheated

Nomad
10-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Yep! I don't know of anyone having a problem with him smoking, other than it's a banned substance and gets a player suspended in the NFL. After his career with the BRONCOS, he can smoke till he chokes to death.:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
from article:

Asked about that, Miller said: "I can't go back and defend something that was in the past. I've already served my suspension. I've already started to do everything to keep forward. ...

"I apologize for all the troubles or pain I've given Broncos fans or anybody who is close to me. Nobody feels worse about this than me. The good thing about it is I have an opportunity to fix all this stuff.

"To the kids and anybody who looks up to me, this could show them how you go from zero to 60 back down to zero."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24303437/lot-people-said-it-went-by-fast-it

VonDoom
10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm just ready to see him back on the field, wreaking havoc.

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I like what he had to say. Hopefully, he has matured.

OrangeHoof
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree with this sentiment. I was more referring to people judging him simply for the fact that he inhaled

I can't speak for everybody but I suspect few are judging him based on pot. Like your defending Manziel, you seem to quickly mischaracterize anyone who is critical of your Ags.

I'm very happy to have him back and all I care about any pot-smoking is that they not do anything to jeopardize their careers, particularly while they are employed by the Broncos.

cmc0605
10-14-2013, 12:29 PM
ShaunVon will be destroying QBs soon. Malik Jackson in the mix, hopefully Ayers recovers soon. This will help the secondary a lot and not require the blitzing LBs to generate pressure = less of the inside slant plays.

blamkin86
10-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Let's not pretend he wasnt ridiculed before we learned he cheated

Right, instead let's pretend everyone hates pot and cheating is just fine.

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Right, instead let's pretend everyone hates pot and cheating is just fine.

Dear Lord, why does every ******* comment on this forum have to be followed up with a detailed explanation lately? While you're cleaning the sand out of your clit, let me try this again...

With the way people here have a tendency to completely villify pot, I am surprised that Von has many fans left on this board. Not because he cheated...not because he put his team in a bad situation...but simply because he chose to inhale marijuana. It's that simple.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Make no mistake: Von Miller has still been a part of the Broncos and their locker room, even as he served his six-game suspension.

Since it was under the auspices of the league's substance-abuse policy, the Miller was still around the team, still attending meetings, still talking with teammates in the locker room, still lifting weights with them. It was only for practices and games where the sides had to part.

"He always texts me and wishes me luck before games, but he has (been) in a tough situation to where he's really isolated," said cornerback Chris Harris Jr. "He just wants to be a part of the team."

That happens this week, and not a moment too soon for a defense that has spent the last six weeks at the extremes. Against the run, it is the league's stingiest in yardage per game, giving up 69.8 yards a week, 5.8 fewer than the second-best Jets. But against the pass, the Broncos emerged from Sunday still at the foot of the league.

rest - plus video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Defense-Eager-to-Embrace-Miller/7d837696-4706-4cf5-936a-3d360f08409a

Dzone
10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Just wondering why Von is allegedly at 262 pounds?? If it is muscle, then great. If he gained fat, then that sucks.

Northman
10-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Just wondering why Von is allegedly at 262 pounds?? If it is muscle, then great. If he gained fat, then that sucks.

Cheetos.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 02:08 PM

from first article I posted:

Mostly, though, Miller spent time getting himself in top physical condition. As Miller walked into the interview wearing a long-sleeve, white athletic shirt, dark sweat pants and his trademark eyeglasses, the immediate impression was he had been hitting the weight room. He's up to 262 pounds — he started his rookie season at 246 pounds — but he has lost 2 percent of body fat, which now measures at a sculpted 10 percent.

"I still move like a wildcat," Miller said. "I'm still quick. I'm still going to cover guys. I'm in the best shape of my life. Emotionally I'm in a very good place. Nutrition, I've stepped it up. Usually during the season you get away from it because everything is moving so fast."

Dzone
10-14-2013, 02:13 PM
from first article I posted:

Awesome. Sorry. I missed that part. The guys on the radio were talking like Von has gotten fat and out of shape..lol

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 02:55 PM
At 262 we can line him up at end in certain packages as well

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 6m

Von Miller meeting with the media upon return from suspension http://instagram.com/p/fdeOkuhwQ1/

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 50m

Fox said Miller has been in every meeting w/ his teammates, has passed all of the weekly game-plan tests thru 6 weeks.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 51m

Fox on Von Miller: "He understands he made some errors. ... We'll see where it goes."

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 51m

John Fox is looking forward to getting to see Von Miller in practice Weds, for first time in 6 weeks.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3m

Von Miller: "Trust is hard to gain and easy to lose. I'm still on that road to earn everyone's trust… http://instagram.com/p/fdip_vhwX8/

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3m

Interested to see Von Miller in football gear this week. In shorts and a T-shirt, he definitely looks significantly bigger.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 05:18 PM
If he's bulked up that much, are they moving him to defensive end?

SR
10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
If he's bulked up that much, are they moving him to defensive end?

That's an interesting thought to be honest.

slim
10-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes, it is. Let's explore that idea.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 05:54 PM
That's an interesting thought to be honest.

I just can't believe everyone's been talking about it all day and no one mentioned it.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
If he's significantly worse in pass coverage due to the extra size we may have to move him to DE.

The Seahawks do okay with Irvin as a pass-rushing DE who sometimes plays a form of LB. Von doing that would be fine in theory.

~G

SR
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I just can't believe everyone's been talking about it all day and no one mentioned it.

That's something that should get a little discussion. Joel would be PISSED to see that happen.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 06:13 PM
If he's significantly worse in pass coverage due to the extra size we may have to move him to DE.

The Seahawks do okay with Irvin as a pass-rushing DE who sometimes plays a form of LB. Von doing that would be fine in theory.

~G

I would assume this means more 3-man lines with Miller playing in a standup stance as a fourth "defensive lineman."

Could be anticipating playing a lot of five and six-defensive back formations.

G_Money
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Well if the corners are DRC, Champ, Harris and Webster we should run at least nickel a lot of the time. That gets us Von as a "lineman" who doesn't have to worry much about coverage unless it's a zone blitz or a switch, and Trevathan and Woodyard stay on the field as the two fastest backers. Nacho is a decent blitzer too, and Moore's not bad. We can change up a lot of things when there's no 3rd, slow LB to get pummeled in the passing game.

Von can push OL around anyway, even if we don't stunt him. The options against the passing teams that can hurt us are good. It all depends on how we deal with runs to the edge, and how well Wolfe and Malik can handle the edges when they're in (since Ayers with that shoulder might not be able to impact the game for a bit). We're gonna have to let Von play himself into game shape anyway, so it's not like he'll be out there all the time the first week or two.

Del Rio gets to earn some money getting us straightened out now that he has most of his weapons at least back on the field, if not at 100% effectiveness.

~G

ShaneFalco
10-14-2013, 06:32 PM
from article:

For clarity, Miller's troubles had nothing to do with performance-enhancing drugs. Because he has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Miller has a therapeutic use exemption for Adderall.

"Since my freshman year in college," he said.

He tested positive for marijuana in 2011 as a rookie.

So he was self medicating because of ADHD. Not surprising.

SR
10-14-2013, 06:38 PM
So he was self medicating because of ADHD. Not surprising.

Give it a rest

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Well if the corners are DRC, Champ, Harris and Webster we should run at least nickel a lot of the time. That gets us Von as a "lineman" who doesn't have to worry much about coverage unless it's a zone blitz or a switch, and Trevathan and Woodyard stay on the field as the two fastest backers. Nacho is a decent blitzer too, and Moore's not bad. We can change up a lot of things when there's no 3rd, slow LB to get pummeled in the passing game.

Von can push OL around anyway, even if we don't stunt him. The options against the passing teams that can hurt us are good. It all depends on how we deal with runs to the edge, and how well Wolfe and Malik can handle the edges when they're in (since Ayers with that shoulder might not be able to impact the game for a bit). We're gonna have to let Von play himself into game shape anyway, so it's not like he'll be out there all the time the first week or two.

Del Rio gets to earn some money getting us straightened out now that he has most of his weapons at least back on the field, if not at 100% effectiveness.

~G

Because people get so stuck in labels, I'm not going to "label" this any sort of defense, but it's a formation Denver will use a lot (Even though I named the file with a formation "label"...).

ShaneFalco
10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Give it a rest

give what a rest?

its a common thing for people with ADD/ADHD.

Bronco4ever
10-14-2013, 07:04 PM

It's obvious the Broncos value the DE position more than LB.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 07:08 PM
It's obvious the Broncos value the DE position more than LB.

That's a pretty typical organizational philosophy. Put your Quarterback, Pass Rusher, Cornerback, Left Tackle in place and then fill in around them.

They've been lucky with late-round pure linebackers in Woodyard and Trevathan at this point, but in the next few years I expect them to draft some linebackers a little higher.

Bronco4ever
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
That's a pretty typical organizational philosophy. Put your Quarterback, Pass Rusher, Cornerback, Left Tackle in place and then fill in around them.

They've been lucky with late-round pure linebackers in Woodyard and Trevathan at this point, but in the next few years I expect them to draft some linebackers a little higher.

I was referencing a frustrating thread from a few days ago. ;)

But you're right. Woody and Trev are both playing at a high level and it wouldn't make sense to pull one in favor of Von (who of course is a beast). Von playing split DE and LB allows us to get our best players on the field.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I was referencing a frustrating thread from a few days ago. ;)

But you're right. Woody and Trev are both playing at a high level and it wouldn't make sense to pull one in favor of Von (who of course is a beast). Von playing split DE and LB allows us to get our best players on the field.

The opposing team gameplans to him. As a defensive coordinator, you might as well gameplan around that.