PDA

View Full Version : Paris Lenon ready to play in place of Denver Broncos' Wesley Woodyard

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Paris Lenon has been more Man in the Middle in his long NFL career than Next Man Up. But he's willing to give a new role a try.

The Broncos have listed starting middle linebacker Wesley Wood- yard as doubtful to play Sunday against the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars because of a stinger-type injury in his neck.

Denver won't be replacing him with an inexperienced player. Lenon has been a starting middle linebacker since 2004, when he was with the Green Bay Packers. He had 16-start seasons three consecutive years with the Detroit Lions (2006-08) and with the Arizona Cardinals (2010-12).

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24293763/paris-lenon-ready-play-place-denver-broncos-wesley

Northman
10-12-2013, 01:33 PM
I hope he steps up. Wes's leadership and fiery play will be missed.

SR
10-12-2013, 02:38 PM
He'll do fine

Joel
10-12-2013, 04:27 PM
We'll see. Either our UDFA Will and castoff Mike are two of the NFLs best MLBs, Lenon will be noticeably worse, or Woodyard wasn't that great a Mike to begin. My bet's the second one. Good luck to him whatever's the case though, because we need a top Mike as defensive field general, calling audibles, chasing down passes/receivers, knocking down runners and sacking QBs. I'm really not making that up, honest.

dogfish
10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
He'll do fine

against the jags, quite possibly. . . i hope wes isn't out long, though-- we need his wheels out there to match up with better offenses. . .

it'll probably take a few weeks to work champ and von back in, and get them completely up to speed. . . i just hope we can get (and stay!) a little healthier in the meantime. . . i really wanna see what this D can do at close to full strength. . .

SR
10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
We'll see. Either our UDFA Will and castoff Mike are two of the NFLs best MLBs, Lenon will be noticeably worse, or Woodyard wasn't that great a Mike to begin. My bet's the second one. Good luck to him whatever's the case though, because we need a top Mike as defensive field general, calling audibles, chasing down passes/receivers, knocking down runners and sacking QBs. I'm really not making that up, honest.

What?

TXBRONC
10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
against the jags, quite possibly. . . i hope wes isn't out long, though-- we need his wheels out there to match up with better offenses. . .

it'll probably take a few weeks to work champ and von back in, and get them completely up to speed. . . i just hope we can get (and stay!) a little healthier in the meantime. . . i really wanna see what this D can do at close to full strength. . .

No kidding. It would be nice to have everyone back by the time we face the Colts.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
What?

Either Joel just said that Woodyard just isn't that good and then went on to describe Woodyard to a T, or Lenon will be noticeably worse? Or both?

SR
10-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Either Joel just said that Woodyard just isn't that good and then went on to describe Woodyard to a T, or Lenon will be noticeably worse? Or both?

I didn't get it at all

TXBRONC
10-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I didn't get it at all

Do you get it now because I still don't?

SR
10-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Do you get it now because I still don't?

Not at all

Joel
10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
What?The possibilities are:

1) Both Lenon AND Woodyard are two of the best MLBs in the NFL (even though one was an UDFA WLB and the other was cut by 2012s 12th ranked defense,)
2) Lenon will play significantly below the excellent level Woodyard has maintained, or
3) Lenon will be about the same simply because Woodyard has looked much better than he really is.

Those aware of a fourth option are welcome and encouraged to share it. My bet is #2: Woodyard is as good as last year, as shown when he moved to MLB for 2013s first five games, but Lenon is significantly worse.

We'll soon see....

MOtorboat
10-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I didn't get it at all

Joel is obsessed with Dick Butkus and the middle linebackers of the 60s and 70.

TXBRONC
10-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Not at all

A little better with Jaded's explanation but it's still convoluted.

SR
10-12-2013, 08:08 PM
The possibilities are: 1) Both Lenon AND Woodyard are two of the best MLBs in the NFL (even though one was an UDFA WLB and the other was cut by 2012s 12th ranked defense,) 2) Lenon will play significantly below the excellent level Woodyard has maintained, or 3) Lenon will be about the same simply because Woodyard has looked much better than he really is. Those aware of a fourth option are welcome and encouraged to share it. My bet is #2: Woodyard is as good as last year, as shown when he moved to MLB for 2013s first five games, but Lenon is significantly worse. We'll soon see....

Why do you even think about shit like this? Not only does it make absolutely no sense, but your thought process is so far ****** I can't help but wish the best for you because if you live your life like you post it's just a matter of time before you have a Meet Joe Black encounter with a bus.

SR
10-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Yeah. That much I know.

Joel
10-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Why do you even think about shit like this? Not only does it make absolutely no sense, but your thought process is so far ****** I can't help but wish the best for you because if you live your life like you post it's just a matter of time before you have a Meet Joe Black encounter with a bus.
I think about it because Lenon's subbing for Woodyard tomorrow, so whether he does as well or worse is relevant. *glances up at thread title* Hmm, seems it's possible to think that without being run over by a bus.

SR
10-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I think about it because Lenon's subbing for Woodyard tomorrow, so whether he does as well or worse is relevant. *glances up at thread title* Hmm, seems it's possible to think that without being run over by a bus.

It's completely irrelevant. If Lenon played like Ray Lewis tomorrow it wouldn't matter. Woody is the starting Mike and the leader of the defense.

Joel
10-12-2013, 09:34 PM
That follows from the post how, exactly? I won't opine about who's obsessed with what around here, but again suggest we talk more about football and less about each other.

Joel
10-12-2013, 09:36 PM
It's completely irrelevant. If Lenon played like Ray Lewis tomorrow it wouldn't matter. Woody is the starting Mike and the leader of the defense.
I'm not saying he's going to take Woodyard's job, but Woodyard's not playing tomorrow, so Lenon MUST take his SPOT, at least for one game. How well he can fill it is a valid question; there's even a thread about it.

SR
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm not saying he's going to take Woodyard's job, but Woodyard's not playing tomorrow, so Lenon MUST take his SPOT, at least for one game. How well he can fill it is a valid question; there's even a thread about it.

Why do you overanalyze everything?

Dapper Dan
10-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Woodyard is doubtful/questionable, so I assume he will be near 100% against Indy.

Unless Lenon plays well. Then that means Woodyard sucks. I think..

Joel
10-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Why do you overanalyze everything?
How is wondering whether we lose anything when a backup replaces a hurt starter "overanalyzing"?

Woodyard is doubtful/questionable, so I assume he will be near 100% against Indy.
I have't seen "questionable," only "doubtful," but would welcome a cite to the former effect. Regardless, I expect him back against Indy, but that's just speculation; I don't know much about the severity of his injury, only that he got his neck stepped on pretty hard.

Unless Lenon plays well. Then that means Woodyard sucks. I think..
Yep, that's PRECISELY what I said; not misstated even a lot. :rolleyes:

Dapper Dan
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM

I have't seen "questionable," only "doubtful," but would welcome a cite to the former effect. Regardless, I expect him back against Indy, but that's just speculation; I don't know much about the severity of his injury, only that he got his neck stepped on pretty hard.

That's my opinion. This is a Jaguars game. If this was an important game, Woodyard would be questionable. When it's a game against the worst team possibly ever, you downgrade the guy to doubtful.

Dapper Dan
10-12-2013, 11:05 PM
... Either our UDFA Will and castoff Mike are two of the NFLs best MLBs, Lenon will be noticeably worse, or Woodyard wasn't that great a Mike to begin. My bet's the second one. ..

The possibilities are:

1) Both Lenon AND Woodyard are two of the best MLBs in the NFL (even though one was an UDFA WLB and the other was cut by 2012s 12th ranked defense,)
2) Lenon will play significantly below the excellent level Woodyard has maintained, or
3) Lenon will be about the same simply because Woodyard has looked much better than he really is.

Then what the hell does this ^^^ mean?

Option 1: Lenon and Woodyard are the best middle linebacker in the NFL

Doubtful. That's ******* stupid.

Option 2: Lenon plays worse that Woodyard.

That would be unfortunate, especially against one of the worst teams in NFL History.

Option 3: Lenon plays well, meaning Woodyard really isn't that good.

How so? We're going against a very bad team. You're making pretty much any scenario into something negative.

MOtorboat
10-12-2013, 11:06 PM

That would be unfortunate, especially against one of the worst teams in NFL History.

How so? We're going against a very bad team. You're making pretty much any scenario into something negative.

Yeah, I'm really not sure how you can correlate Lenon playing well with Woodyard not being very good.

Joel
10-12-2013, 11:16 PM

Not at all; Woodyard and Lenon BOTH being among the top NFL MLBs would be very positive, especially for what we're paying Lenon. Unfortunately, as you say, it's also very doubtful. That leaves two possibilities:

1) Lenon won't be as good as the very good Woodyard or 2) Lenon will be as good as the very average Woodyard. The first seems by far the most likely; there's a reason a mediocre D cut him.

Yeah, I'm really not sure how you can correlate Lenon playing well with Woodyard not being very good.
I didn't. I correlated Lenon playing AS WELL AS WOODYARD with Woodyard not being very good, because I don't think Lenon's very good. If "not very good"="Woodyard," what would that make Woodyard?

That's not what I expect; Woodyard's been better and better throughout his career, especially since the start of 2012. I expect Lenon to play worse than Woodyard (which doesn't necessarily mean BADLY given how Woodyard's played.) Hopefully it won't matter against the Jags, or, better yet, hopefully I'm wrong and Lenon has a banner day. But be honest: Does anyone here really expect that, or is this just more contrariness?

Bronco4ever
10-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Joel, let's just watch the game and find out how he does instead of contemplating all of these hypotheticals.

Dapper Dan
10-12-2013, 11:31 PM
How do we make the comparison? When doing experiments, doesn't a person try to even out the tests to ensure proper results? Say you're comparing weed killer. Lenon and Woodyard are the two different brands of weed killer. You test weed killer A (Woodyard) in the summer. You test weed killer B (Lenon) in the winter. Weed killer A is more expensive and has higher reviews. But weed killer B works just as good, even better. What does that mean? Nothing. The test is flawed. Weeds are more likely to be dead on the winter. Just like players should look better against a team like the Jaguars.

dogfish
10-13-2013, 02:27 AM
wait, what?

how the f'n'. . . the way the backup plays for a week or two is supposed to be some sort of referendum on woodyard?

come on, now. . . that's ridiculous, beyond a reach. . . don't let wes' solid play there threaten your dreams of a high draft pick spent on a "real" MIKE, or anything. . . :D

Joel
10-13-2013, 12:33 PM
wait, what?

how the f'n'. . . the way the backup plays for a week or two is supposed to be some sort of referendum on woodyard?

come on, now. . . that's ridiculous, beyond a reach. . . don't let wes' solid play there threaten your dreams of a high draft pick spent on a "real" MIKE, or anything. . . :D
If Lenon has a couple picks and sacks plus scads of tackles, wouldn't that at least raise the possibility our scheme makes our Will look like a better Mike than he really is? Sure it's the Jags, but it's not Miami (OH.)

It's not a referendum on Woodyard though; not sure how anyone who read the whole post got the idea listing three possibilities makes any one of them the ONLY possibility. It's an expectation Lenon won't BE as good as Woodyard because he ISN'T. If Lenon=Woodyard either they're both awesome, or neither could keep a starting job on 2012s 12th best D. Neither seems likely, ergo Lenon=/=Woodyard.

SR
10-13-2013, 12:35 PM
If Lenon has a couple picks and sacks plus scads of tackles, wouldn't that at least raise the possibility our scheme makes our Will look like a better Mike than he really is? Sure it's the Jags, but it's not Miami (OH.) It's not a referendum on Woodyard though; not sure how anyone who read the whole post got the idea listing three possibilities makes any one of them the ONLY possibility. It's an expectation Lenon won't BE as good as Woodyard because he ISN'T. If Lenon=Woodyard either they're both awesome, or neither could keep a starting job on 2012s 12th best D. Neither seems likely, ergo Lenon=/=Woodyard.

You're on another planet dude. I don't mean that as an insult, but I just won't ever understand why you think the way you do.

Davii
10-13-2013, 01:15 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/707/nothing-to-do-here-template.jpg.scaled500.jpg

TXBRONC
10-14-2013, 08:25 AM
If Lenon has a couple picks and sacks plus scads of tackles, wouldn't that at least raise the possibility our scheme makes our Will look like a better Mike than he really is? Sure it's the Jags, but it's not Miami (OH.)

It's not a referendum on Woodyard though; not sure how anyone who read the whole post got the idea listing three possibilities makes any one of them the ONLY possibility. It's an expectation Lenon won't BE as good as Woodyard because he ISN'T. If Lenon=Woodyard either they're both awesome, or neither could keep a starting job on 2012s 12th best D. Neither seems likely, ergo Lenon=/=Woodyard.

Quite simply hell no it wouldn't mean by any stretch that the system is making Woodyard look good.

GEM
10-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Lenon didn't have shit, he was slow and couldn't run sideline to sideline to cover slants to Blackmon. Woodyard is lightyears ahead.

GEM
10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Quite simply hell no it wouldn't mean by any stretch that the system is making Woodyard look good.

Woodyard isn't loud and flashy, so he must not be good. I don't know what Joel wants in a MLB, but Woody is doing just fine by me.

SR
10-14-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't know what Joel wants in a MLB

Von Miller

GEM
10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Von Miller

:laugh:

Who replaces Von's play on the end then?? Cause we've had such a strong pass rush in his absence.

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 12:45 PM
:laugh:

Who replaces Von's play on the end then?? Cause we've had such a strong pass rush in his absence.

Pass rush is overrated and not really all that important.

SR
10-14-2013, 01:22 PM
:laugh: Who replaces Von's play on the end then?? Cause we've had such a strong pass rush in his absence.

Champ

CoachChaz
10-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Champ

He cant...he'll be playing safety

SR
10-14-2013, 01:31 PM
He cant...he'll be playing safety

The only other option, then, has to be Peyton Manning.

TXBRONC
10-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Woodyard isn't loud and flashy, so he must not be good. I don't know what Joel wants in a MLB, but Woody is doing just fine by me.

Woodyard's hits are loud. His hits make ball carries and quarterbacks drop chocolate. :D

GEM
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM

He didn't....he couldn't even keep up with crossing the field on a slant and tackling a WR.

You sure like playing a lot of coulda, would and shoulda.

All this =/= crap....didn't know we were in a calculus class.

Von is not a MLB. Lennon is not taking Woody's place. And Joel is not getting any new idea across with any success.

:lol:

GEM
10-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Woodyard's hits are loud. His hits make ball carries and quarterbacks drop chocolate. :D

Love me some Wood....y! :laugh:

GEM
10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Champ

Ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!

GEM
10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Pass rush is overrated and not really all that important.

Hell yea!!! Watching effing Henne and Homo sit back there with 45 sec - a min to throw has been effing AWESOME SAUCE!!!!

MOtorboat
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Hell yea!!! Watching effing Henne and Homo sit back there with 45 sec - a min to throw has been effing AWESOME SAUCE!!!!

It is if you're a Jaguars or a Cowboys fan!

Bazinga!