PDA

View Full Version : Has Peyton Manning influenced your pizza choice?

sneakers
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I have not had papa johns since 2002

slim
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
No, but I might buy a Buick.

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 04:13 PM
There are only 2 options for pizza here. So I just ordered Dominos. I blame Dzone, I think it was, for making me talk about pizza all night.

SR
10-11-2013, 04:14 PM
There are only 2 options for pizza here. So I just ordered Dominos. I blame Dzone, I think it was, for making me talk about pizza all night.

I've seen you blame two different people for two different things in less than a minute. Take responsibility, man!

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I've seen you blame two different people for two different things in less than a minute. Take responsibility, man!

I'm training to be a politician. Leave me be.

weazel
10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I've had it once... that's not pizza

wayninja
10-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Great, you guys got me thinking about that spicy pepper and hot tub of greasy lard again. Thanks.

Buff
10-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Papa Johns pizza blows. But I do like their breadsticks and garlic sauce.

slim
10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Is there a national chain that acutally produces a good pizza?

If so, I'm not aware of it.

CrazyHorse
10-11-2013, 05:02 PM
No. I usually order it since it's better than Dominos or Pizza Hut. I get points towards free ones too.

Timmy!
10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Papa Johns here is pretty good, but their wings are kinda shitty.

slim
10-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Does anyone remember when McDonlands tried to enter the pizza market? Holy cow that was bad.

Timmy!
10-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Does anyone remember when McDonlands tried to enter the pizza market? Holy cow that was bad.

Whaaaaat?

slim
10-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Whaaaaat?

It was like 20-25 years ago. They tried it in a few markets, but it failed...so I don't think it was ever tried on a national scale.

slim
10-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Pizza / McPizza – McDonald's has also attempted pizza at various times, with an apple-pie–like McPizza and more conventional McDonald's Pizza. A line of personal-sized pizzas was first seen in the late 1970s in test-market stores near interstate highways around Milwaukee and Madison. In Canada (c. 1992–1999), the pizza originally began as a family-sized pizza that was brought out to the table by an employee and placed on a raised rack in the centre of the table. Later it was scaled down to a personal-sized pizza. However, variations have found their way into some international markets such as India (the pie-like "Pizza McPuff"). McDonald's also test marketed a 14-inch, round, traditional-style pizza in Evansville, Indiana, and nearby Owensboro, Kentucky, in 1989.[41] By 1991, the McDonald's test markets for pizza had grown to over 500 McDonald's locations before the pizza test was placed on hold.[36] Pizza was discontinued in most restaurants by 2000. The reason for eliminating the pizza from the menu was that the time to cook a pizza took 11 minutes, and McDonalds wanted to keep its reputation for fast service. Some, like the McDonald's located in Pomeroy, Ohio, still offer family size and personal size pizza as of February 26, 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McDonald's_products

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
McDonalds bought out part of Donatos(the pizza I was talking about last night). When it sucked, the Donatos owner bought his share back, or at least most of it, I think.

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 05:19 PM
History[edit]

In 1963, Ohio State sophomore Jim Grote purchased a small pizzeria on the south side of Columbus, Ohio for $1,300. From the beginning, Grote built Donatos on three fundamentals: creating a superior product, hiring great people, and to "treat others the way I would like to be treated". Today, these fundamentals still define Donatos as it promises “To serve the best pizza and make your day a little better.”[5]
In 1999, Donatos was purchased by McDonald's in an attempt to enter the pizza industry. However, a majority interest in Donatos was repurchased by Jim Grote and daughter Jane Abell in 2003 as McDonald's sought to refocus on its core business.[6] During this period Donatos also had operations in Munich, Germany.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatos_Pizza

slim
10-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I've never heard of Donatos. How does it compare to other pizza chains?

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I've never heard of Donatos. How does it compare to other pizza chains?

I think they're best known for their thin crust pizzas. My wife and I like it. Edge to edge pepperonis!

slim
10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Thin crust is the only way to go. Plus I believe your wife probably knows what she is doing, despite her choice of husbands.

VonDoom
10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I only had Papa John's once, and it was free. I had to go pick it up in some sketchy neighborhood, too. But in any case, the pizza isn't all that great. Though I live in NY, and there are about ten (non-chain) pizza places within a two mile radius of my house, so maybe I'm spoiled.

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
I was in a New York hotel trying to call out and order a pizza. It was terrible. He couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. Eventually, we parted ways and I went somewhere to eat.

wayninja
10-11-2013, 06:15 PM
F all you pizza blasphemers. It's not the best pizza on the planet, but it's pizza goddammit. You go invent a better food. Posers.

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I read that the "best" pizza was in San Diego. I guess all you picky pizza eaters could go there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2013, 07:12 PM
absolfreakinlutely not

Papa Johns is average, at best...and you have to cook it yourself.

DenBronx
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
absolfreakinlutely not

Papa Johns is average, at best...and you have to cook it yourself.

You are thinking of Papa Murphys

Papa Johns is good, not great, but still better than Dominoes or Pizza Hut.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2013, 07:21 PM
You are thinking of Papa Murphys

Papa Johns is good, not great, but still better than Dominoes or Pizza Hut.

You're right, sorry....actually Domino's has gotten a lot better in the last year since they changed their recipes. Also, I don't do Papa John's because I have an affinity for deep dish pizza.

DenBronx
10-11-2013, 07:22 PM
If any of you live in the Bay Area of California and are wanting to try some real good authentic pizza. Then I highly recommend Skipolini's, it will change your life.

When I pass through Antioch I will stop there. They also have several rock bands that will play and have great game nights. They have won numerous awards.

http://www.skipolinispizza.com/

DenBronx
10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
You're right, sorry....actually Domino's has gotten a lot better in the last year since they changed their recipes. Also, I don't do Papa John's because I have an affinity for deep dish pizza.

I havent tried Dominoes since they changed their pizza. That is next on my list.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Of the three major chains, I prefer Papa Johns. I've never cared for Pizza Hut ( their sauce sucks) and the " improved" Dominos was good at first, but went right back to being shitty and expensive after a few months.

Of course you can get better pizza out there, but not for as cheap and not delivered (at least around here). You guys are comparing the national fast food pizza chains to mom and pop or boutique pizzerias. It's like comparing McDonalds and Burger King to a burger you'd get at Red Robin or something. They aren't in the same league.

TXBRONC
10-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I would rather have Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza.

Nomad
10-11-2013, 08:08 PM
NO! Pizza Man (a local shop) is the best pizza around.

AlWilsonizKING
10-11-2013, 10:13 PM
No. Papa Johns Pizza sucks.

PEACE!!!

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I applied to work at Pizza Hut. I never got hired. Forget that place.

wayninja
10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
NO! Pizza Man (a local shop) is the best pizza around.

Around that particular local shop anyway...

Seriously, it doesn't sound like a homeless man that makes pizza's at all.

sneakers
10-11-2013, 11:11 PM

Wasn't that only in canada?

Dapper Dan
10-11-2013, 11:18 PM

Idk, but if it only happened in Canada, it doesn't count in real life.

Nick
10-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Best places I had was Staw Hat and Garlix pizza in cali...

As far as best "cheap" godfathers.

For kids most convenient little Caesars.

My fav around me now, dominos.

Papa Johns Has a nice point system and not to bad but they teased me when they had the meatballs on pizza and took them away... WTF

Nomad
10-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Around that particular local shop anyway...

Seriously, it doesn't sound like a homeless man that makes pizza's at all.

If you're ever up this way, I recommend going there. http://www.pizzamanak.com/

slim
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM

No. I tried it in Indiana like 25 years ago.

GEM
10-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Nope, Papa John's still sucks whether Peyton owns it or not!

underrated29
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I dont think papajohns sucks. I like it for several reasons.

1.- M-T? You can get a large unlimmited topping pizza for $8.99 delivered. Thats cheap and if I eat 4 slices at a time then I have lunch at work for 2 days. Which equates to $5 a day. Four slices of pizza for $5 is good if you ask me and I get it delivered.

2. You get the garlic sauce and the pepper. Not big things, but dipping the crust in the sauce is good and I like the pepper. Vitamin A you know.

3. The BBQ Chicken Hawaiian. Quite possibly one of the best pizzas ever. BBQ sauce, Chicken, Pineapples, Bacon, then I sub Jalapenos for onions and add banana peppers or mushrooms depending on my mood. Its like a spicy BBQ chicken sandwich but on a pizza and with a kick from the jalapenos. So good. Infact, I am ordering one right now.

4. Pizza hut sucks. Dominoes is better than pizza hut but not that good. The local stores dont deliver to my work and my fav pudge brothers doesnt deliver to my house. Garlic Knot is good but a little pricey considering their pizza is not THAT much better. Its better but for the extra money it is not that much better imo

slim
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
http://pinospizzaalcentrophoenix.com/

GEM
10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
I dont think papajohns sucks. I like it for several reasons.

1.- M-T? You can get a large unlimmited topping pizza for $8.99 delivered. Thats cheap and if I eat 4 slices at a time then I have lunch at work for 2 days. Which equates to $5 a day. Four slices of pizza for $5 is good if you ask me and I get it delivered.

2. You get the garlic sauce and the pepper. Not big things, but dipping the crust in the sauce is good and I like the pepper. Vitamin A you know.

3. The BBQ Chicken Hawaiian. Quite possibly one of the best pizzas ever. BBQ sauce, Chicken, Pineapples, Bacon, then I sub Jalapenos for onions and add banana peppers or mushrooms depending on my mood. Its like a spicy BBQ chicken sandwich but on a pizza and with a kick from the jalapenos. So good. Infact, I am ordering one right now.

4. Pizza hut sucks. Dominoes is better than pizza hut but not that good. The local stores dont deliver to my work and my fav pudge brothers doesnt deliver to my house. Garlic Knot is good but a little pricey considering their pizza is not THAT much better. Its better but for the extra money it is not that much better imo

They use too much sauce for my liking. Arvada Villa for the win!! :D If I have to go for delivery disaster, I like Blackjack.

underrated29
10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I havent had blackjack in years. I forgot about them. I will have to remember them next time I order.

Remember when pizza places used to give away gifts? Pizza hut had basketballs, Blackjack gave away 100 baseball cards......I miss those.

slim
10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
If you have to give people gifts in order for them to order your pizza, it's probably not very good pizza.

GEM
10-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Ya know who actually has good greaseball fat pizza? Chuck E. Cheese. :laugh: Thank goodness my kids are grown, that place has the good stuff to get fat quick. :lol:

I don't know if anyone remembers the old pizza place in the Westminster mall, right next to the arcade? Oh man....that place had THE BEST pizza.

Slick
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
What do you guys think of non traditional pizzas?

This place in NC had my favorite pizzas. The cheeseburger pizza and the new mexico pizzas are awesome.

http://www.wolfmanpizza.com/

Check out the menu.

Dzone
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Pizza is junk food. It makes you fat.

Slick
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Pizza is junk food. It makes you fat.

You never, ever eat any type of junk food?

Moderation, Dzone.