PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Gase Talks Offense, Moreno

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2013, 10:39 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Records are falling like autumn leaves and the points have come in waves, but for all of the Broncos’ explosiveness through five games, Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase’s objective has remained simple: come out ahead when the scoreboard reads 0:00.

“Our goal right now is just to score one more point than the other team,” Gase said during his weekly press conference on Thursday. “At the end of the day, whatever that takes is what we’re going to do. That’s the bottom line.”

The Broncos broke a nearly 50-year old franchise record of 50 points in back-to-back weeks, scoring 52 points against the Eagles and 51 points against the Cowboys. Those games only represent a fraction of the NFL-best 230 points the Broncos have scored this season – and, as Gase pointed out, they are also reflection of an offense that expects to score every single time it has the football.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Notebook-Gase-Talks-Offense-Moreno/d8a83924-a162-42c1-93a0-a1d36e436463

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2013, 11:48 PM
I have to admit, I was dead wrong to be skeptical of Gase when he said he wanted to play at a faster pace. I'm now convinced McCoy was the ultra conservative one, not Fox.

I'd love to hear the Panther fans come talk about Fox ball.

TXBRONC
10-11-2013, 05:30 AM
I have to admit, I was dead wrong to be skeptical of Gase when he said he wanted to play at a faster pace. I'm now convinced McCoy was the ultra conservative one, not Fox.

I'd love to hear the Panther fans come talk about Fox ball.

How can you be ultra conservative when offense averages 30 plus points per game. That what we did last year and especially you consider that Denver throws the ball about 60% of the time. If anyone wants to show me how our offense last year was so vastly conservative to the Colts offense with Manning as the quarterback I would like to see it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
How can you be ultra conservative when offense averages 30 plus points per game. That what we did last year and especially you consider that Denver throws the ball about 60% of the time. If anyone wants to show me how our offense last year was so vastly conservative to the Colts offense with Manning as the quarterback I would like to see it.

I'm more referring to situational ball with certain play calls. I als got the impression Manning wanted to run the hurry up a lot more than we let him.

broncobryce
10-11-2013, 08:53 AM
So far so good. Gase's star is rising for sure. I just hope we don't burn out since we started so fast. The good news is our D should get better with Champ and Von coming back very soon. Gotta love how Moreno is playing too.

Ravage!!!
10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
The tougher part of the season starts after this week, for sure. But we can see the changes in the offense, and Gase has been great. But then, when your QB is playing great football, any OC can look great. Look at McDoosh (No, I'm not saying Gase is the headcase that McDick is).

underrated29
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
GASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:elefant:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MCCOY

NUff said. Only took 3 years too.

TXBRONC
10-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm more referring to situational ball with certain play calls. I als got the impression Manning wanted to run the hurry up a lot more than we let him.

Denver's offense with Manning wasn't ran with much difference than the Colts ran their offense with Manning. They did what he what he was comfortable with.

Joel
10-12-2013, 04:46 PM
That would be a good argument if we weren't averaging 50% more pts/game this year. Now, that's only through 5 games, but it's all relative; if a guy's averaging a lot of points, that's great, but if the team averages half again as much after he leaves it's natural to ask if he was holding them back, however much they put up previously. Especially when there was already cause to ask that when he was still running the show.

Frankly, I wonder how much of the difference is Alex Gibbs returning, if only as "consultant" rather than assistant coach. Getting back to Moreno, he's 10th in rushing and 8th in rushing average so far this year; there's a lot more going on here than just a high powered passing game. The line's not just protecting PFM (though they're doing that, too,) but making holes for Moreno to exploit (as Gase notes in the article.) The days of Knowshon and McGahee getting hit at the handoff, having to break two tackles to reach the line and missing games due to the beating are seemingly gone.

For all those who used to condemn Moreno dancing around in the backfield, there's a reason he did that, and a reason he's changed to one-cut-and-go: He finally CAN. The results are self-evident.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Denver's offense with Manning wasn't ran with much difference than the Colts ran their offense with Manning. They did what he what he was comfortable with.

We ran the ball last year more too. The ratio was 55-45 last year.

broncobryce
10-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I wonder if they re-sign Moreno. I guess it depends on how much he asks for.

MOtorboat
10-12-2013, 09:44 PM
We ran the ball last year more too. The ratio was 55-45 last year.

Through five games it was 60-40. This year it's 57-43.

Joel
10-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I wonder if they re-sign Moreno. I guess it depends on how much he asks for.
And perhaps on whether anyone else catches fire (or pass blocks.) Hillman and Ball do OK as receivers, and if everyone finishes the year with a high rushing average without getting PFM crushed he may not have much leverage with a team that's almost cut him several times. Right now though Hillmans average IS average, Balls much less and Moreno's still the best at picking up blitzes. Unless some of that changes or there's a stellar FA available there's not much cause to not re-sign him. Hopefully he's not stupid enough to pull a Doom on us.