PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers, Chris Harris, Wesley Woodyard out at Broncos practice

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2013, 01:04 PM
There was little change from Wednesday to Thursday with the Broncos' injury situation.

Cornerback Chris Harris, who suffered a concussion on Sunday, remained unable to participate in the team's Thursday practice, in accordance with the NFL's concussion protocol. Defensive end Robert Ayers, who injured his shoulder in Dallas, was present for stretching but did not participate in practice, and linebacker Wesley Woodyard, who injured his neck in that same game, also did not participate.

With just one practice remaining after Thursday before the team takes on the 0-5 Jaguars, the likelihood of Woodyard and Ayers playing Sunday remains in question. Harris on Wednesday remained optimistic that he wouldn't have to miss time with his concussion.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24281921/robert-ayers-chris-harris-wesley-woodyard-out-at

underrated29
10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
not good. even against jax.

jhns
10-10-2013, 01:15 PM
I rewatched the game yesterday and I'm surprised Holliday isn't on the injury report. He took a huge helmet to helmet hit on his last return. It was hard enough to make my head hurt.

cmc0605
10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Luckily this is the one game out of 16 you'd want them to miss if you had to pick a game, but hopefully they can play and nothing serious. The Jags have some threats on offense, including two good WRs and an aging-but-effective RB. The upside is a lot of other guys are getting reps.

But I'd love to see our defense 100% and in full form vs. Indy as a priority. No more asterisks in our discussions of the team.

Broncolingus
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Keep 'em all out if that means getting them healthy...

...especially Woodyard and Harris.

If I had to choose of the three (and all three are important), Ayers is the least damaging with Von coming back...

...BUT, still want all three healthy.

(...I know, I just repeated myself a half-dozen times in that post...:tsk: )

Slick
10-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Good news is Champ said in his presser that he plans to play.

Joel
10-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Good news is Champ said in his presser that he plans to play.
That is good news, for his health, because a warm up game won't hurt him (knock wood) and because Harris might not play. That said, we can't spare any of these guys, though I agree with Broncolingus that Miller's suspension ending soon (combined with Phillips' steady, if unspectacular, play) makes Ayers the most expendable (or at least, the least non-expendable.) A dislocated shoulder's a big deal though (trust me,) especially for a guy who must extend his arms and outmuscle blockers on every down. Even after he's healed, if it goes back into the "dislocation position" he could be gone again.

SR
10-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Keep 'em all out if that means getting them healthy... ...especially Woodyard and Harris. If I had to choose of the three (and all three are important), Ayers is the least damaging with Von coming back... ...BUT, still want all three healthy. (...I know, I just repeated myself a half-dozen times in that post...:tsk: )

Ayers and Von play different positions and have different responsibilities. Ayers has been fantastic against the run this year and he has played well against the pass.

SR
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
That is good news, for his health, because a warm up game won't hurt him (knock wood) and because Harris might not play. That said, we can't spare any of these guys, though I agree with Broncolingus that Miller's suspension ending soon (combined with Phillips' steady, if unspectacular, play) makes Ayers the most expendable (or at least, the least non-expendable.) A dislocated shoulder's a big deal though (trust me,) especially for a guy who must extend his arms and outmuscle blockers on every down. Even after he's healed, if it goes back into the "dislocation position" he could be gone again. A shoulder dislocation isn't bad as long as there isn't any internal damage, which he has none. A shoulder SEPARATION is where you really start damaging the inside of your AC joint. Also, a shoulder dislocation isn't half as painful as a separation.

Joel
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
A shoulder dislocation isn't bad as long as there isn't any internal damage, which he has none. A shoulder SEPARATION is where you really start damaging the inside of your AC joint. Also, a shoulder dislocation isn't half as painful as a separation.
If you say so; all I know is when my shoulder popped out it hurt like Hell; it just hurt LESS when we got upstairs and it slipped back in as I tried to take off my jacket by sliding it down the arm. None of the later dislocations were fun either; nothing like Lethal Weapon movies. I'm still not really sure why it hurt more the closer I got to standing erect; all I know is that standing up straight simply wasn't an option. Probably shouldn't have waited 15 years until it refused to go back in before going to a doctor, but, no insurance, and it had always reinserted, so....

Put it this way: When reports came out Ayers was in a sling after the game due to a dislocated shoulder, I understood why. The last time (when it actually went ALL the way back in, because a doctor put it there) the ER doc said I couldn't go back to work for at least a week, and had to get a physical therapists permission after that. And I didn't throw around anything as heavy as an offensive tackle.

Dean
10-11-2013, 06:51 AM
An AC separation and a shoulder dislocation are not the same injury though they can occur during the same incident. In an AC separation, the connective tissue that binds the front and back collarbone together is stretched and torn. This often is caused from 'arm tackling'.

CoachChaz
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
I've done both to my right shoulder in separate incidents. As it pertains to my experience...the separation was way worse and required more rest than the dislocation.

Joel
10-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Maybe I'm just a wuss then; I never had any pain near my neck, only directly above and down the shoulder, so I'm pretty sure there was never any separation, and if that hurts a lot worse I pray I never have one. It was only REALLY bad while it was out, but as long as it was the pain was excruciating. In terms of recuperation, I only have personal experience as a gauge: The first time it was mainly just sore the next week or so, but the second time the docs said no work for at least a week and scheduled 6 weeks of rehab; I might've been OK to work after 2, but waited 3 so I could go full strength without fear of reinjury.

Based on that I'd be slightly surprised if Ayers plays Sunday. Hopefully the Jags are no problem, but we'll need him for Indy; they gave a SB fave its first loss last week, and most folks would say Seattles D>our D. Latest report shows he and Woodyard as Doubtful (DNP all week,) Harris and Champ as Probable. I did see something about NFL concussion policy REQUIRING Harris miss the first day of practice and part of the second, which is what he did, with full participation today, so hopefully he's OK. http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/injury-report.html

SR
10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I've done both to my right shoulder in separate incidents. As it pertains to my experience...the separation was way worse and required more rest than the dislocation.

My separation was the worst pain of my life.