PDA

View Full Version : Colts fans' dilemma: See Peyton or sell tickets for big money

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- John Flatt has been an Indianapolis Colts season ticket holder since 2001 and usually wouldn't dream of selling his tickets.

But the Oct. 20 game against the Denver Broncos and former Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is different. It isn't just about the money, either, the attorney said.

TRIBUTE: Colts to honor Peyton (can click on this on link)

"With Manning, it was hard because I felt like we got no closure with him," Flatt said. "No one knew after that 2010 playoff game (against the New York Jets) that was going to be the last game he would play with the Colts.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/10/fans-sell-tickets-or-see-peyton-manning-denver-broncos/2958691/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28USATODAY+-+NFL+Top+Stories%29

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I would sell the tickets and not think twice about it. I could put that money to much better use than sitting and watching my team get reamed by a former legend of ours for three hours. Imagine John Elway in another team's uniform coming back to play the Broncos. I just don't think I'd be too compelled to go watch that. Yeah it would be cool to see the team hero back in the stadium one more time, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2013, 11:17 AM
WASHINGTON — When Peyton Manning returns to Indianapolis in 11 days for a prime-time showdown against his former team, he can expect a hero's welcome at Lucas Oil Stadium.

And that will include a gracious reception from the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts are planning a tribute for Manning to acknowledge his remarkable contributions during 14 seasons with the franchise, team owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/09/peyton-manning-colts-tribute/2953801/

slim
10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Imagine John Elway in another team's uniform coming back to play the Broncos.

No.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
No.

Did you know the Raiders came really close to acquiring him from the Colts?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Sell ticket, go by 72 inch high def leed tv and watch game at home-

slim
10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Did you know the Raiders came really close to acquiring him from the Colts?

Yes.

Did you know I was a Bronco fan long before 1983?

jhns
10-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I can understand the reasons for selling but I would never just put them on the open market like that. I would only sell if I could guarantee them going to a fan of the team. I hate seeing stuff like what happened the last few times the Steelers played in Denver and half the crowd was Steeler fans. You are really hurting your teams home field advantage when you let that happen.

slim
10-10-2013, 11:33 AM
On the other hand, it was nice to see some orange in Dallas last week.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I can understand the reasons for selling but I would never just put them on the open market like that. I would only sell if I could guarantee them going to a fan of the team. I hate seeing stuff like what happened the last few times the Steelers played in Denver and half the crowd was Steeler fans. You are really hurting your teams home field advantage when you let that happen.

Sometimes your personal finances are more important than how your favorite sports team does.

jhns
10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Sometimes your personal finances are more important than how your favorite sports team does.

Blasphemy.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Blasphemy.

If I had to choose between making the rent or the Broncos winning, that wouldn't be too hard a call.

jhns
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
If I had to choose between making the rent or the Broncos winning, that wouldn't be too hard a call.

I know right. The family can go a week or two without food.

Really my reply is based on the posted article though. The guy doesn't have financial problems. He just doesn't want to go and sees that he can make money.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I know right. The family can go a week or two without food.

Really my reply is based on the posted article though. The guy doesn't have financial problems. He just doesn't want to go and sees that he can make money.

Honestly, I don't have a huge problem with that either. I'm all for making coin whenever you can. I knew people in New Orleans who would buy Saints season tickets, go to 2 games, put the other 6 on Stubhub, and make a profit. That's just smart to me.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
If people are buying tickets just for an investment, I am totally against that. REAL fans could be purchasing those tickets. My son said there are not only different people sitting in front of them at the Broncos' games this year, they are ALSO fans of the team the Broncos are playing.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
If people are buying tickets just for an investment, I am totally against that. REAL fans could be purchasing those tickets. My son said there are not only different people sitting in front of them at the Broncos' games this year, they are ALSO fans of the team the Broncos are playing.

Eh, I think that's a bit of fan policing. If I can see my team play twice in person every year and make money for it, that's not a bad deal. Besides, there is no guarantee that those tickets will always go to away fans. I'm sure fans of the home team scour stubhub as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM

I can understand that Carol, but I live in Idaho. I've thought many times I should get on the waiting list and get season tickets. I could sell most of my tickets and probably be able to afford to go to two games a year free.

Northman
10-10-2013, 12:14 PM
On the other hand, it was nice to see some orange in Dallas last week.

A lot of it. Blew my mind how much orange was in that stadium but it made me happy.

slim
10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
A lot of it. Blew my mind how much orange was in that stadium but it made me happy.

I was shocked. I guess one of the greatest offenses in history gets people off the couch.

Slick
10-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree with you Carol, but unfortunately it will never be that way again.

Frapster
10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm a Colts fan. That being said I'm a fan of Peyton Manning's and root for him week in and week out. I would keep my tickets so I could watch Peyton Manning and I'd root for him to win because I did NOT like the trade and still don't (even with how fantastic Luck looks). Yeah yeah yeah... you won't be the first to tell me I'm a lousy Colt's fan or worse but that's ok. I'm rooting for Peyton to beat the Colt's when they play and I can't wait to see how the city honors him. I hope I'm thrilled by the ovation he deserves (at the very least).

Slick
10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I bet there are people on waiting lists purely for the fact that they can make money reselling the tickets.

A friend of my Mom's is a season ticket holder in Denver and she never goes. She always just sells the tickets. I told her I think she sucks and she should let someone else have a chance who really wants to actually go to the games.

Northman
10-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm a Colts fan. That being said I'm a fan of Peyton Manning's and root for him week in and week out. I would keep my tickets so I could watch Peyton Manning and I'd root for him to win because I did NOT like the trade and still don't (even with how fantastic Luck looks). Yeah yeah yeah... you won't be the first to tell me I'm a lousy Colt's fan or worse but that's ok. I'm rooting for Peyton to beat the Colt's when they play and I can't wait to see how the city honors him. I hope I'm thrilled by the ovation he deserves (at the very least).

I dont think your a bad fan but its certainly an interesting take.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I told her I think she sucks and she should let someone else have a chance who really wants to actually go to the games.

Is that not what she is doing by selling the tickets to other people?

Slick
10-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Is that not what she is doing by selling the tickets to other people?

Sure, but there are frequently opposing teams fans in her seats. Don't start with me. You know what I meant.

BroncoWave
10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Sure, but there are frequently opposing teams fans in her seats. Don't start with me. You know what I meant.

I will give you that the person in your example is worse because she has no interest in actually watching the Broncos play. But if someone does actually use their tickets a few times a year and sells the rest for a profit, I have no issue with that.

ShaneFalco
10-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Cowboys stadium was full of orange, i bet indy will be 2.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I was talking with one of my sons in regards to the Colts honoring Peyton when the Broncos play there. My son said that he can not think of one time that any team has honored a player BEFORE he has announced his retirement. My son is wondering if Irsay is hoping this will affect Peyton, as it will be done right before kickoff. Interesting thought, when you think about it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I was talking with one of my sons in regards to the Colts honoring Peyton when the Broncos play there. My son said that he can not think of one time that any team has honored a player BEFORE he has announced his retirement. My son is wondering if Irsay is hoping this will affect Peyton, as it will be done right before kickoff. Interesting thought, when you think about it.

I wondered that myself....

Canmore
10-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Peyton has seen just about everything. I would be really surprised if this makes any difference in his play.

olathebroncofan
10-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Nothing wrong with selling them. You bought them, you do what you want with them.

I was at Kansas State the year we beat Nebraska at home. There were so many Nebraska fans trying to get tickets to that game it was crazy. I know plenty of students that sold their tickets from between $400-$1000.

Sell them if you got them. You can see the same thing on you big screen at home.

dogfish
10-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Peyton has seen just about everything. I would be really surprised if this makes any difference in his play.

irsay most definitely does NOT have the wit to play mind-games with peyton. . . :laugh:

Joel
10-13-2013, 12:03 AM
See Peyton, Miller, Champ, Luck, Wayne, Mathis et al. This game's just getting bigger as the season progresses. Mind, Indy fans selling to out-of-towners as likely to cheer for Miller as get loud for PFM is fine by me.