PDA

View Full Version : Fox: 'I'm Very Pleased With Our Team'

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2013, 09:30 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The day after his team defeated the Dallas Cowboys 51-48, Head Coach John Fox held his traditional weekly sit-down with the media.

He discussed the "character win," which came in a hostile environment at AT&T Stadium.

“I’m very pleased with our team," he said. "It was a very tough environment to play in, against a division-leading team for an opponent. I think any time you go on the road in this league you’re happy to get out with a win. Concerns—you’re concerned with everything. There are a lot of things we can improve at. I kind of like the fact that we were down 14 and I got to watch the grit. Things have gone a little smoother for us so far this season. And then we came up with a huge play when we needed it, defensively. Without that, I’m not sure what happens. So overall, I’m just really happy with the nitty-gritty performance by our team. We went up against a good football team in a tough place to play.”

Below are the highlights from Fox's press conference.

rest - plus video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Fox-Im-Very-Pleased-With-Our-Team/92f9c797-5df8-49ee-9cea-8a07809ad59a

Joel
10-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Honestly? Maybe I'm nit-picking his language, but

1) Complacency was my biggest fear after how we started, the moreso because we went on a 12 game winning streak last year only to have a team we humiliated in their house return the favor a month later, and

2) Any day your team gives up 48 points to a mediocre opponent who only punted ONCE you shouldn't be proud of them, much less publicly saying so. The offense, maybe, but the team? We let Romo set a franchise passing record for a team that had one of the best passing attacks in the game in three different decades, with three different HoF QBs.

Yes, there were injuries, and yes, Dallas is a dangerously talented team when they bring it (as they certainly did yesterday.) I'm not saying Fox should be publicly whipping the survivors. But expressing pride to the press? "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit cometh before a fall." I thought—hoped—last season was enough to remind us of that.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-08-2013, 06:01 AM
If anything, this win was a good thing in that we won't get complacent. After blowing out teams by 20+ points every week, a team can get a little complacent. I think the team showed true character gutting out a win when they had been shell shocked in the second half. We could've just panicked and folded like we did last year in the playoffs and made mistakes.

I'm just glad we didn't have to lose to learn a lesson. I don't care about the final score as much. Had we won 23-20 and the offense had had a bad game instead of the defense, it wouldn't have made any difference except in the eyes of those who care about stats.

This was a good win for us. A lot of good can come from this.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah. Fox should just be an ******* like that hoodie-wearing homo in New England.

DenBronx
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Dallas isnt a mediocre team. They seem alot better then they were in years past.

Nothing wrong with Fox being proud of this team.

Northman
10-08-2013, 06:57 AM
If anything, this win was a good thing in that we won't get complacent. After blowing out teams by 20+ points every week, a team can get a little complacent. I think the team showed true character gutting out a win when they had been shell shocked in the second half. We could've just panicked and folded like we did last year in the playoffs and made mistakes.

I'm just glad we didn't have to lose to learn a lesson. I don't care about the final score as much. Had we won 23-20 and the offense had had a bad game instead of the defense, it wouldn't have made any difference except in the eyes of those who care about stats.

This was a good win for us. A lot of good can come from this.

They should bring back "hat" day.

Joel
10-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Dallas isnt a mediocre team. They seem alot better then they were in years past.

Nothing wrong with Fox being proud of this team.
You're right, I shouldn't have said mediocre, because they've been very talented for a while: They're just VERY inconsistent, frequently don't come to play. In fairness to them and us, it looked like Sunday was one time they did, and I'd been worried all week that might happen and we wouldn't be expecting it, so in that sense weathering the storm was a big gut check we passed. Barely.

Yet the one thing we always hear about blow outs is they can frustrate coaches by providing no screw ups to hound the team about and keep them focused the next week. This squeaker had plenty of those (Tony Carter had two big bad plays I recall, and Deckers recurring fumble issues recurred yet again.) Once again we gave a team the ball on their own end with less than a minute left in a half; once again our D gave up a huge pass play that let them score: No wonder we didn't want to give Dallas the ball again at the end. It'd be nice if Fox talked about that stuff instead of patting us on the back for giving up 48 points.

I know we were shorthanded, especially after the half, but if our D plays like that against Seattle, New Orleans, New England or San Francisco, we lose. Even Schaub might win that game. I don't want the Jags to be a trap game, but have the luxury the team lacks of looking ahead to Indy, and am every much exercising it. Here's hoping the D gets much better with Miller and Champ back; there's certainly room for improvement, whether Fox is talking about it or not.

BroncoWave
10-08-2013, 03:54 PM
You're right, I shouldn't have said mediocre, because they've been very talented for a while: They're just VERY inconsistent, frequently don't come to play. In fairness to them and us, it looked like Sunday was one time they did, and I'd been worried all week that might happen and we wouldn't be expecting it, so in that sense weathering the storm was a big gut check we passed. Barely.

Yet the one thing we always hear about blow outs is they can frustrate coaches by providing no screw ups to hound the team about and keep them focused the next week. This squeaker had plenty of those (Tony Carter had two big bad plays I recall, and Deckers recurring fumble issues recurred yet again.) Once again we gave a team the ball on their own end with less than a minute left in a half; once again our D gave up a huge pass play that let them score: No wonder we didn't want to give Dallas the ball again at the end. It'd be nice if Fox talked about that stuff instead of patting us on the back for giving up 48 points.

I know we were shorthanded, especially after the half, but if our D plays like that against Seattle, New Orleans, New England or San Francisco, we lose. Even Schaub might win that game. I don't want the Jags to be a trap game, but have the luxury the team lacks of looking ahead to Indy, and am every much exercising it. Here's hoping the D gets much better with Miller and Champ back; there's certainly room for improvement, whether Fox is talking about it or not.

:lol: at giving any importance to what a head coach tells the media. Do you seriously think he is just patting the players on the back in the locker room and not trying to fix any of the mistakes we have made? Of course he is going to be positive in the media, who cares?