PDA

View Full Version : Broncos-Cowboys broadcast gets highest overnight rating of any programming since February’s Academy Awards

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
The Broncos’ 51-48 win over the Cowboys on Sunday earned an 18.6 overnight rating, making it the most-watched NFL game of the season and the highest-rated TV program since the Academy Awards earned a 26.1 rating in February.

From 5:30 to 5:45 p.m. Mountain time, the game peaked with a 24.4 rating.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Denver was the market with the highest rating, 42.9. Second was Kansas City, with a 33.3 rating, and then Dallas-Fort Worth, with 29.9.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/07/broncos-cowboys-broadcast-highest-rating-since-academy-awards/22287/

MOtorboat
10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
A.) it went to nearly every household in the country.
B.) it had two teams that have HUGE followings.
C.) it shows that the 4 p.m. EDT time slot is still a valuable commodity.

OrangeHoof
10-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Despite all the points scored, the game only took about 3:15 to play. That made it end around 7:40 pm ET.

Joel
10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
D.) February wasn't that long ago. We're not talking "last episode of MASH" here.

MOtorboat
10-07-2013, 10:49 PM
D.) February wasn't that long ago. We're not talking "last episode of MASH" here.

There were 10 channels in 1983, and cable was relatively new. It's not comparable. But leave it to Joel to try and disparage a fairly cool thing coming from a Broncos game.

Timmy!
10-07-2013, 11:07 PM
There were 10 channels in 1983, and cable was relatively new. It's not comparable. But leave it to Joel to try and disparage a fairly cool thing coming from a Broncos game.

Be nice MO, he's probably distraught over the Texans.

DenBronx
10-08-2013, 01:00 AM
B.) it had two teams that have HUGE followings.
C.) it shows that the 4 p.m. EDT time slot is still a valuable commodity.

Cool but the Academy Awards show went to every household in the Country as well.

Joel
10-08-2013, 02:48 AM
You're right, it's not comparable at all: 60% of the US population in 60% of US households and 77% of those whose TV was on at the time. 24% of households is not even remotely comparable (and a 77% share is independent of whether there were 10 channels or 10,000.) February wasn't that long ago. I mean, OK, yea; top ratings grabber of the past half year, nice job. But let's keep some perspective.

MasterShake
10-08-2013, 07:51 AM
You're right, it's not comparable at all: 60% of the US population in 60% of US households and 77% of those whose TV was on at the time. 24% of households is not even remotely comparable (and a 77% share is independent of whether there were 10 channels or 10,000.) February wasn't that long ago. I mean, OK, yea; top ratings grabber of the past half year, nice job. But let's keep some perspective.

OR we can just enjoy this amazing run by the Broncos and all the stats and TV ratings records they are breaking! :lol:

If you want some perspective, when was the last time we have seen an offense like this? Greatest Show on Turf? 2007 Patriots? This is not a common occurrence so I will save a lot of my criticisms for the losses. One of my biggest regrets as a Broncos fan is not enjoying the Super Bowl years more. You really have no idea how long of a drought your may be facing.

Broncolingus
10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Not surprising...that was a GREAT game for a fan to watch!

MOtorboat
10-08-2013, 08:20 AM

You really are stuck in the 70s and 80s.

BroncoWave
10-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Poor Arizona, stuck watching that Cardinals-Panthers game.

BroncoJoe
10-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I think Joel needs another self-imposed vacation to rediscover himself. Again.

claymore
10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I cant believe that many people watch the Academy Awards. Who are these people?

BroncoWave
10-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I cant believe that many people watch the Academy Awards. Who are these people?

There are a lot of women in America Clay. And they tend to watch more TV than men. There is a reason most advertising is targeted toward women.

Joel
10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
OR we can just enjoy this amazing run by the Broncos and all the stats and TV ratings records they are breaking! :lol:

If you want some perspective, when was the last time we have seen an offense like this? Greatest Show on Turf? 2007 Patriots? This is not a common occurrence so I will save a lot of my criticisms for the losses. One of my biggest regrets as a Broncos fan is not enjoying the Super Bowl years more. You really have no idea how long of a drought your may be facing.
I did that in the '98 season, when we really had nothing to prove, all records were attainable (still hard to believe Davis finished SECOND in rushing yards; freakin' Barry, or Barry freak....) and no one beat us till week 14. In the end, I'm not sure we actually set any NFL records that year, but I wouldn't trade that year for the '07 Pats season.

I hear what you're saying though; before I accepted Elway as my football lord and savior I endured the nail-biting '95 Cowboys season when everyone was saying Switzer couldn't win a SB and Dallas couldn't win one without Jimmy Johnson. And I did it in WI (which made the NFCCG that much sweeter.) Frankly, this season reminds me more of that season or the one Denver had two years later than it does Denvers following one. Records, ratings, attention—ya'll realize a big chunk of people tuning in to our games are there to see us FAIL, not succeed, right?

You really are stuck in the 70s and 80s.
60% of the US, 77% of US TVs; that's largely independent of era. The only way it's a factor is in the percentage of the US with TVs, but that's going DOWN these days. Not about when I grew up, or me at all.

I think Joel needs another self-imposed vacation to rediscover himself. Again.
Nah, I know who I am; the last few sabbaticals weren't about me, but that simply responding to a thread shouldn't instantly MAKE it about me.

MOtorboat
10-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Ratings shares are never going to be as high today as they were in 1983 for the final episode of M.A.S.H. because people have options for viewing, and they have more televisions. So, for example, I was too young, but I know for a fact that episode was on my parents only television on that night. Sunday, I know that my father's television was on the game, and my mother's television was not.

It's not that hard to understand why ratings shares don't even approach those of shows like M.A.S.H. when there were only two or three other options on television that night.

Either way, there's really no perspective on anything to gain here from comparing Denver's game Sunday to M.A.S.H. 30 years ago.

claymore
10-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Ratings shares are never going to be as high today as they were in 1983 for the final episode of M.A.S.H. because people have options for viewing, and they have more televisions. So, for example, I was too young, but I know for a fact that episode was on my parents only television on that night. Sunday, I know that my father's television was on the game, and my mother's television was not.

It's not that hard to understand why ratings shares don't even approach those of shows like M.A.S.H. when there were only two or three other options on television that night.

Either way, there's really no perspective on anything to gain here from comparing Denver's game Sunday to M.A.S.H. 30 years ago.

You watched the Academy Awards didnt you?

claymore
10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Nah, I know who I am; the last few sabbaticals weren't about me, but that simply responding to a thread shouldn't instantly MAKE it about me.

Joel, I think we need to unleash Morambar_in_Texas on these fools.

Joel
10-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Okay, those are fair points. It's just hard to get psyched about saying, "our last game had the highest ratings of any show in the last 6 months!" It's just not that big a span, particularly given the other mitigating factors you previously raised. We needn't go back 30 years to find a show with higher ratings; as the article notes, the Oscars managed that just half a year ago. We might even top that number again if both teams are still unbeaten heading into the KC game (or we might not; KC doesn't have Dallas' fan base.)

Joel
10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Joel, I think we need to unleash Morambar_in_Texas on these fools.
No, never that. Yeesh. :redface:

BroncoWave
10-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Okay, those are fair points. It's just hard to get psyched about saying, "our last game had the highest ratings of any show in the last 6 months!" It's just not that big a span, particularly given the other mitigating factors you previously raised. We needn't go back 30 years to find a show with higher ratings; as the article notes, the Emmys managed that just half a year ago. We might even top that number again if both teams are still unbeaten heading into the KC game (or we might not; KC doesn't have Dallas' fan base.)

Who the **** said it was a big deal? It was just a neat little tidbit that Carol wanted to share. You don't have to take everything so ******* seriously.

Joel
10-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Who the **** said it was a big deal? It was just a neat little tidbit that Carol wanted to share. You don't have to take everything so ******* seriously.
Football's not a matter of life and death—it's much more important. :P

I always worry about setting ourselves up for a fall when we're on a roll, but am absolutely paranoid about it after last year. Nothing's good enough and nothing matters until/unless we hoist a Lombardi. I know teams don't mirror fan pscyhology (I sure hope the Broncos aren't as neurotic as I about this season,) but whenever a team or its fans start patting themselves on the back like the '07 Patriots I feel like it's practically daring God, karma, fate; whatever one believes in, to punish their arrogance. Hubris ate nemesis, the Greeks said.

I'd rather stay humble so other people say, "Wow, your team's really good," than brag about it till they're so sick of it they WANT us to lose just to shut me up—finally. Remember that clip of Brady laughing at the suggestion the high octane Pats offense would only score 17 points in a SB where they ACTUALLY scored 14? I bet you do, and don't want people throwing something like that in our faces for the next 20 years.

Remember Jimmy Johnson's "how bout them Cowboys?!" making everyone but Dallas fans vomit? That was one of the all time great teams—just ask 'em! That's why everyone else loathes a legendary dynasty. NOT pulling that kind of crap—even when they went to 5 Super Bowls in 10 years—is a lot of what made Landrys Cowboys Americas Team. There are worse models.

Joel
10-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Here's a good example of what I mean; buried at the bottom was the kind of comment I wish I heard Fox make more often:
I don't look at point spreads," Fox said. "We look at the tape. I've mentioned that many times. One thing I've learned is if you fall asleep at the wheel, you wreck. We'll just look at our preparation. We'll look at the tape. All of that junk is for other people; it doesn't have anything to do with us. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24261338/broncos-briefs-broncos-apologize-jaguars-tweet-taken-insult

TXBRONC
10-08-2013, 05:50 PM

It was a boring game that was no real test for the Broncos. If you don't believe me just ask Joel.

MOtorboat
10-08-2013, 06:34 PM
You watched the Academy Awards didnt you?

I think there was a Nuggets game on that night, honestly, so no, I did not.

Joel
10-09-2013, 01:14 PM
It was a boring game that was no real test for the Broncos. If you don't believe me just ask Joel.
I never said it was boring, only that it wasn't a test. At halftime, the British broadcast showed highlights of this years Brit Bowl, and the Brit calling our game proceeded to gush at length about what a hard fought game it was for both teams after they survived the regular season to get there. Anthony MacFarland, who was calling our game, responded with a very different and briefer comment: It showed him once and for all how big a gulf there is between European and American football players because "a lot of those guys looked like YOU!" So, y'know, exciting game, but great teams? Not hardly.

It's a fact Ware and Selvie were on Dallas' injury report; it's an opinion this may be the worst Cowboys secondary on a team that's had epically bad ones recently, but it's probably an accurate opinion: Not much of a test for our offensive, though Clark was so impressive against Ware that he switched sides to go at Franklin (with no more success.)

It might've tested whether our defense has finally learned how to prevent a big scoring play when a half is "gone in 60 seconds," but if so they FAILED by giving up a 40 yd pass to put the Cowboys in range of an easy FG to end the first half. It might've tested whether our D can win without literally half its starters against a team missing its #2 WR, but if so that was ALSO a failure: Dallas outscored us 28-23 in the second half, despite our HoF QB, solid RB, impressive offensive line and receiving hydra. Without an 8 point cushion, Romo being Romo and Prater kicking 3/3 (including a 48 and 50 yarder,) we lose.