PDA

View Full Version : Broncos-Jags spread ties record

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Of all the records Peyton Manning is laying waste to through the first five weeks of this season -- 20 passing touchdowns, 1,884 passing yards, 230 points -- it is perhaps this number that best defines how dominant he and the Denver Broncos have been: minus-28.

That's how many points Denver is favored by over the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 6 opening lines posted by the Las Vegas Hotel.
According to The Gold Sheet, a sports-betting publication that has been tracking point spreads since the 1950s, that number ties the highest spread of all time, set by the Baltimore Colts over the expansion Atlanta Falcons in 1966. The Falcons covered. It is the highest since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

"The Jaguars are just so awful, and the interest in betting on the Broncos has been pretty consistent," Jay Kornegay, who runs the sports book at the Las Vegas Hotel, said Sunday night. "There's a group of us here who put together the lines for each week, and it took us 10-15 minutes to debate what this number would be. Some folks didn't feel that good about making history with this."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9785515/denver-broncos-tie-record-highest-point-spread

Northman
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, thats a setup for an upset.

BroncoWave
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Hmmm, thats a setup for an upset.

Zero percent chance of that happening.

wayninja
10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114407/3304878-7832051047-admir.jpg

tomjonesrocks
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Hmm. I don't gamble but if Denver takes a 3 Score lead over Jax I pull Manning and see what Oz can do. In other words I wouldn't expect Denver to necessarily cover 28 points.

That team hasn't shown any signs of being able to score. I'd be anxious to get Manning out as soon as the game is in hand.

weazel
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
how many points does each team get?

Joel
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Hmm. I don't gamble but if Denver takes a 3 Score lead over Jax I pull Manning and see what Oz can do. In other words I wouldn't expect Denver to necessarily cover 28 points.

That team hasn't shown any signs of being able to score. I'd be anxious to get Manning out as soon as the game is in hand.
This is what I expect, because the Jags with a new QB and without their starting LT are the closest thing to a sure thing the NFL has (touch wood.) Too bad, because, as much as I dismiss records, the single game scoring record looks very doable here. Not saying we'd ALSO shut them out (as Chicago did setting the record, in the 1940 NFL Championship to boot,) but if we can put 51 on Dallas we can put 74 on Jacksonville.

I really do wonder if having Jacksonville play in Wembley every year is a prelude to moving them there permanently. They've consistently lost money for years (I'm not sure they've EVER made a profit off tickets; without revenue sharing they couldn't afford a ball, much less a roster,) and there are >10 million potential ticket buyers in London alone; netting even 1% of them would sell out every Jags home game, something they never come close to doing in Jacksonville (pop. 836,507.)

Sky Sports broadcasts NFL games, and is running a fantasy football league with the NFL this year where each weeks winner gets their choice of jersey and a copy of Madden, and the season winner goes to the SB: The Jags cheerleaders (and no one else) do all the commercial. The network also recently polled whether the NFL should create a London team (for what it's worth, the results were 60/40 against.)

Mainly, I just hope everyone's healthy for this game; I'd love to see Champ use it to get back into the swing of things, because when he, Harris and DRC are out there with our LBs, passing on us will be VERY hard.

Nomad
10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I heard on sports radio the 51 points scored by the BRONCOS yesterday is the same amount the Jaguars have scored in 5 games.

slim
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I heard on sports radio the 51 points scored by the BRONCOS yesterday is the same amount the Jaguars have scored in 5 games.

I had to look it up, but yeah...51 points on the season. :lol:

MOtorboat
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
@DenverBroncos: No shots, just stats. RT @jaguars: Stay classy, Denver. MT @DenverBroncos: #Broncos' 51 pts Sun. are as many as JAX has scored all season.

MOtorboat
10-07-2013, 07:34 PM
The Broncos are averaging 46 points per game and the Jaguars are averaging 10.2 points per game.

36 point difference in those two...three points for homefield, 39...

Sounds low to me. :)

Slick
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Who made that first tweet Mo? Is that an official Denver Broncos account?

MOtorboat
10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Who made that first tweet Mo? Is that an official Denver Broncos account?

Broncos, then Jaguars and Broncos again. First tweet is the last one.

Yeah, those are the two official twitter accounts for each team.

wayninja
10-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I wonder if they are going to show each other their junk on snapchat later.