PDA

View Full Version : Running Game 'Rhythm' (Moreno vs Hillman vs Ball)

camdisco24
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
After today's game, I am curious what the forum thinks about the rock, paper, scissors usage of our RB's.

Personally, I would really push to just give Knowshon a bulk of the carries. Every time he seems to be getting into a rhythm, they pull him in favor of Hillman. I don't think it has cost us anything, however, I do think it hasn't allowed us to maximize our running game. Knowshon really proved himself today, and I really think he has earned the spot as the feature guy moving forward.

Curious to hear thoughts and opinions.

BroncoWave
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Knowshon was a beast today and has been for most of this season. He is running harder than I have ever seen him. I get the logic in giving Hillman some carries though, because you don't want to wear Knowshon down. It's hard for an NFL running back to play every down. The position is just too physical. It's a good thing for this team to let Hillman get snaps too. But yeah, Moreno is still getting most of the touches and he is earning it big time.

Dare I even say, he has looked like every bit of a first round pick this season.

Dapper Dan
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I feel like we have 3 capable backs. I don't think they're awful at anything. That's good since we can sub one in at any time. Helps with the hurry up.

camdisco24
10-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Knowshon was a beast today and has been for most of this season. He is running harder than I have ever seen him. I get the logic in giving Hillman some carries though, because you don't want to wear Knowshon down. It's hard for an NFL running back to play every down. The position is just too physical. It's a good thing for this team to let Hillman get snaps too. But yeah, Moreno is still getting most of the touches and he is earning it big time.

Dare I even say, he has looked like every bit of a first round pick this season.

That would actually be my 'devil's advocate' side of the argument... Moreno is fragile, maybe it's good to go 'half throttle' with him.

DenBronx
10-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Morenos the better of the 3 backs in this type of offense. He was beastly today!

ShaneFalco
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
you cant give knowshon the load for the entire season, he would have a better chance at getting hurt again :(

Need him for postseason

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Most of the time Knowshon came out, he called for it. I don't think they were subbing Hillman in most of the time on purpose. Manning hates to substitute because it allows the defense to do it also and it slows down the offense.

Joel
10-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Most of the time Knowshon came out, he called for it. I don't think they were subbing Hillman in most of the time on purpose. Manning hates to substitute because it allows the defense to do it also and it slows down the offense.
Was gonna say that, but you said it first. He's head and shoulders above our other backs, a Compleat Halfback who block and catches as well as or better than he runs. Yet with his injury history, when he says, "I need to come out," who would risk arguing? It's not a big deal, even good if it keeps him fresh, as long as he's not doing it on 3rd and 1 or 4th and G at the 1 (and he scored the tying TD from 1 yard out today, plus converting the 3rd and 1 on the next drive to let us run the clock down before the FG.)

I've said all along Moreno (and McGahee before him) would be both much more productive and much more durable if they didn't have to routinely break two tackles just to reach the line. Now that we have a line consistently run-blocking at a high level, witness Morenos improved production.

If a back consistently manages even a couple yards on his own, a line that just as consistently gives him a couple yards of surge turns that into 4+. That's enough to chew clock, tire their D and rest ours "matriculating the ball down the field" without "putting it up for grabs." And when we DO put it up for grabs someone's ususally open for a ton of yards because the bad guys must crowd the line to even have a chance of slowing our ground game; even if not, a deep pick is just a punt (instead of TDs that often come from quick outs jumped by DBs with no one between them and our end zone.)

That's much better than just trading bombs all day and hoping to have the ball last; we saw today how scary that can be with even the best air support.

olathebroncofan
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Did ball get any carries today? It looked like Peyton called a time out just to get knowshon in the game. Was that the same play where Peyton ran it in?

Had manning lost faith in ball? He seemed fine with the other 2.

When does cj get back?

olathebroncofan
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm also concerned about km's durability. Just sit all of his runs have been hard, line he is trying to prove something. But running with wreckless abandon also comes with a price.

CrazyHorse
10-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm also concerned about km's durability. Just sit all of his runs have been hard, line he is trying to prove something. But running with wreckless abandon also comes with a price.

I was scared when he leaped over the guy trying to get the TD.

Simple Jaded
10-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Moreno is better the more he gets the ball, I'd go with one back regardless and the other two haven't earned the starting job. Not worried about the injury thing either, the Broncos don't sub Woodyard for fear of losing him and he's far more difficult to replace.

olathebroncofan
10-06-2013, 11:12 PM

That's the type of play I'm taking about. I love that it seems like every time he touches the ball he tries to get that extra yard. Everyone takes about "next man up" but to be honest, I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Dapper Dan
10-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I love seeing Knowshon going all out.

DenBronx
10-07-2013, 03:24 AM
I proudly wore my blue Moreno jersey today!

This was his response to Lesean McCoy telling Skip Bayless that he sucks.

Knowshon Moreno ✔ @knowshonmoreno

Glad @CutonDime25 was watching our game tonight.Great team win,lets keeprolling.#5-0#LetHatersHate#ShotsWereFiredButNoOneGotHit

Joker56
10-07-2013, 08:43 AM
yes Ball did have one carry
it was mostly KM and Hill

TXBRONC
10-07-2013, 09:50 AM

I thought he might have injured his groin.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Did ball get any carries today? It looked like Peyton called a time out just to get knowshon in the game. Was that the same play where Peyton ran it in?

Had manning lost faith in ball? He seemed fine with the other 2.

When does cj get back?

That was the play Manning ran it in, and I think Manning saw a defense he could exploit with that play.... I don't think it had anything to do with Ball, and had everything to do with "I can run this baby in myself."

NightTrainLayne
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM

This. As I watched in the stands, in the second half, the only times I saw Moreno come out was for a breather, and he was ready to come back in within a play or two.

The first half they were rotating, but in crunch time, Moreno was the guy.

bcbronc
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Moreno has proven a coupla things over the past few seasons:

He's a key piece in our offence, and
He's fragile and can only handle so many touches.

Imo its imperative Fox finds a way to keep Moreno healthy, which means limiting his touches. If the game is on the line, I want KMFM in the backfield, but that means his touches have to be monitored and limited.

Dapper Dan
10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
My favorite thing about Moreno is that he hasn't screwed up after the DUI. That's what second chances are for. He took advantage of his.

BroncoWave
10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
My favorite thing about Moreno is that he hasn't screwed up after the DUI. That's what second chances are for. He took advantage of his.

Good point. There were fans who wanted him cut after that. Glad our front office has more patience than that.