PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ Kevin Vickerson, Knowshon Moreno each fined $7,875

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Broncos defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson and running back Knowshon Moreno took a financial hit this week when the NFL fined each player $7,875 for the unnecessary-roughness penalties they drew last week against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Vickerson drew his penalty during an Eagles punt to the end zone for a touchback late in the second quarter. Moreno was flagged a couple plays later.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/04/vickerson-moreno-each-fined-7875/22224/

LawDog
10-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Oh Good Lord, are players going to start getting fined for holding and delay of game penalties? Is Goodell's slush fund strapped for cash all of a sudden?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2013, 05:04 PM
They each received 15 yard penalties, and now they have been both fined. Is this something new that unnecessary roughness penalties are automatic fines also?

MOtorboat
10-04-2013, 05:13 PM
They each received 15 yard penalties, and now they have been both fined. Is this something new that unnecessary roughness penalties are automatic fines also?

Does seem a little extreme. Weren't both penalties just pushing around after the play? I don't remember either seeming cheap or dangerous.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
This is just dumb and is a lousy precedent to set. Nothing they did could've caused injury. Neither was really unnecessary roughness. More like unsportsmanlike conduct. $7000 fine for a shove after the play was over? Seriously?

MOtorboat
10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Did they fine the Eagle in the Moreno situation? They both were shoving after the play.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Does seem a little extreme. Weren't both penalties just pushing around after the play? I don't remember either seeming cheap or dangerous.

I remember Knowshon's. We had a nice gain, which I think resulted in a first down, and after the play, Knowshon pushed a player down, which then either resulted in 2nd and long or 3rd and long, and I think we got a FG out of it. I remember the expression on Mannings' face, which was not pleasant. Maybe someone can add details to this, as I am not sure if I have everything corrrect.

MOtorboat
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I remember Knowshon's. We had a nice gain, which I think resulted in a first down, and after the play, Knowshon pushed a player down, which then either resulted in 2nd and long or 3rd and long, and I think we got a FG out of it. I remember the expression on Mannings' face, which was not pleasant. Maybe someone can add details to this, as I am not sure if I have everything corrrect.

That's the gist.

Fox didn't show what Vickerson did.

Krugan
10-04-2013, 05:28 PM
It just moved the ball back 15 yards, since it was after the play and resulted in a first down.

didnt create a longer situation, if I recall.

The NFL is getting friggin full on asshat with the fines.

Guess they gotta pay the law suites somehow, not like TV money does anything....

topscribe
10-04-2013, 06:39 PM
This is just dumb and is a lousy precedent to set. Nothing they did could've caused injury. Neither was really unnecessary roughness. More like unsportsmanlike conduct. $7000 fine for a shove after the play was over? Seriously?
Pretty soon, they'll be doling out fines for illegal procedure.

They're going to have the players afraid to play . . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-04-2013, 06:47 PM
The league said unsprortsmanlike conduct would receive harsher penalties this year, but Knowshon's was just a late block. What the freak?

Dzone
10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Someone pulled Peytons facemask and the announcers mentioned it. Refs missed it. That dude should have been fined. The NFL needs to fine anyone who grabs Peytons facemask. Anyone elses facemask-no, Manning facemask-yes

Joel
10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I thoguht fines were reserved for the new arena league rules about defenders leading with helmets against receivers/passers or hitting them in the head while defenseless, and runners leading with their helmet away from the line. Not that fines really matter much to starters/vets (though they might restrain young backups,) but if it gives guys "a record" that leads to suspensions in future, that's a problem. As others have noted, since all this is supposedly about safety there's not much to justify fines for plays posing practically no safety risk.

Dapper Dan
10-04-2013, 08:06 PM
What's the point of the penalty if there's a fine afterward? Seems like overkill. Some of the hardcore football players probably care more about a 15 yard penalty than $7k.

BroncoWave
10-04-2013, 09:12 PM
If the NFL would just come out and say that any personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would also draw a fine, that would be one thing. At least the players would know. But just randomly fining different amounts for different things is pretty confusing. There really doesn't seem to be any consistency.

tomjonesrocks
10-04-2013, 09:16 PM

This. I didn't even remember them.

Simple Jaded
10-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Moreno's penalty was thoroughly ******* harmless, ridiculous.