PDA

View Full Version : Where's the defense?

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't have to go on and on. Sure the special teams had a horrible day. But, when it comes down to it where's the defense? Where's the big play or a total lockdown on defense? It's the same problem last year and it's the same problem this year. A defensive coordinator has been fired. The new one, same results. This is the true problem area in regards to the Broncos. Seriously, it's really starting to disgust me. 34 points on offense is a win. But, as you see it is not enough today. I don't want to here excuses in regards to special teams. And yes they completely suck. But, when the defense is put in a position where's the dominant play? Same old story and it really burns.

broncosfanscott
11-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't have to go on and on. Sure the special teams had a horrible day. But, when it comes down to it where's the defense? Where's the big play or a total lockdown on defense? It's the same problem last year and it's the same problem this year. A defensive coordinator has been fired. The new one, same results. This is the true problem area in regards to the Broncos. Seriously, it's really starting to disgust me. 34 points on offense is a win. But, as you see it is not enough today. I don't want to here excuses in regards to special teams. And yes they completely suck. But, when the defense is put in a position where's the dominant play? Same old story and it really burns.

I hear ya. I just hope the defense steps it up when we have a big fourth quarter lead instead of letting the other team back in the game. :tsk::tsk:

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I hear ya. I just hope the defense steps it up when we have a big fourth quarter lead instead of letting the other team back in the game. :tsk::tsk:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but this game was HUGE. Denver moves to 6-5 threatining to win the division crown/possible wild card as an alternative. A loss Denver is 5-6 and their only hopes rest on beating SD/help for the title. A win today meant a lot of things. A possible division crown. A possible wild card. It's all out the window now. The only hope is a win in SD and help. This game was a turning point in the season and Denver completely blew it badly.

Mike
11-25-2007, 10:14 PM
I honestly don't blame the defense too much for this loss. Bad coaching, bad playcalling, and abysmal ST lost the game.

The defense played a pretty solid game. The blocked punt gave the momentum to Chicago and put the Broncos back on their heels.

All in all, the coaching/playcalling let this team down again. Even with the stupid decision to kick to Hester they were still in position to win. The coach didn't trust his players to make the plays and tried to milk the clock when there was too much time left on it. How many times does this have to happen before they learn?:confused:

Regardless, I don't think that this was a make or break game for Denver. They are only one game back still and their schedule is favorable.

omac
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I honestly don't blame the defense too much for this loss. Bad coaching, bad playcalling, and abysmal ST lost the game.

The defense played a pretty solid game. The blocked punt gave the momentum to Chicago and put the Broncos back on their heels.

All in all, the coaching/playcalling let this team down again. Even with the stupid decision to kick to Hester they were still in position to win. The coach didn't trust his players to make the plays and tried to milk the clock when there was too much time left on it. How many times does this have to happen before they learn?:confused:

Regardless, I don't think that this was a make or break game for Denver. They are only one game back still and their schedule is favorable.

I agree; the defense actually made a lot of big plays during the game, but poor ST play put a lot of pressure on them. Even on the last regulation time drive, the defense forced Chicago into 4th and long; unfortunately, 1 mental mistake gave Chicago a 1st down.

Mike
11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree; the defense actually made a lot of big plays during the game, but poor ST play put a lot of pressure on them. Even on the last regulation time drive, the defense forced Chicago into 4th and long; unfortunately, 1 mental mistake gave Chicago a 1st down.

You're right. One mental mistake by a zebra cost Denver the game. :D

Tned
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM

That illegal contact call was weak at best.

omac
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Ack, this was a good game by the Broncos offset by mental errors. :D

omac
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
That illegal contact call was weak at best.

Very true, but why risk it? At 4th and long, your first thought must be "no penalties". :D

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM

I agree with some of what you say. But, when has the defense rised to the occassion to make that big play? I'm talking last season when the Broncos are in the hunt to make the playoffs. I'm talking this season when the defense has their back against the wall. To make that big play. To seal the game before it goes into OT. Where has it been?

I'm not going to be a I told you so, but when Denver lost the coin flip I knew it was over. And even if Denver won the coin flip. Went 3 and out. I knew the defense would fail. This is what burns me and what makes me angry. The lack of faith in the defense. As a fan. And I'm sure it's getting to Shanahan. There better be huge changes in the offeseason. I'm not saying fire Bates. But, there better be an attempt to rectify the defense this offseason. That includes the draft/FA. This part of the team is a major downfall in becoming a playoff contender. Denver has NO chance of becoming a better football team if the defense can NEVER hold an opponent and close the game for a win. This problem will CONTINUE into next season if Denver/Shanny does not address this problem.

Mike
11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Very true, but why risk it? At 4th and long, your first thought must be "no penalties". :D

The problem is that you can find that "penalty" on almost any given pass play. You gotta let the players play the game especially in a close tight game.

omac
11-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree with some of what you say. But, when has the defense rised to the occassion to make that big play? I'm talking last season when the Broncos are in the hunt to make the playoffs. I'm talking this season when the defense has their back against the wall. To make that big play. To seal the game before it goes into OT. Where has it been?

I'm not going to be a I told you so, but when Denver lost the coin flip I knew it was over. And even if Denver won the coin flip. Went 3 and out. I knew the defense would fail. This is what burns me and what makes me angry. The lack of faith in the defense. As a fan. And I'm sure it's getting to Shanahan. There better be huge changes in the offeseason. I'm not saying fire Bates. But, there better be an attempt to rectify the defense this offseason. That includes the draft/FA. This part of the team is a major downfall in becoming a playoff contender. Denver has NO chance of becoming a better football team if the defense can NEVER hold an opponent and close the game for a win. This problem will CONTINUE into next season if Denver/Shanny does not address this problem.

The gambling, putting 8 in the box, is a bandaid; it could be very effective sometimes, but it can easily peel off. I also think it's making our corners look worse than they really are.

omac
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
The problem is that you can find that "penalty" on almost any given pass play. You gotta let the players play the game especially in a close tight game.

Well, if that's the case, then that's another one the refs have botched this season. :D

topscribe
11-25-2007, 10:37 PM

One? Abdullah forces a fumble, then he picks it up and is running for a TD,
when it is called back. After the challenge, they say yes indeedy, it is a
fumble, so they place it on the Broncos' 10-yard line. So the officials take
away a TD.

Then in the next series, they are challenge on a call of an incompletion to
Stokely. The replays showed clearly that Stokely caught the pass, both
announcers agreed it was clearly a completion, but the officials ruled
otherwise. So they took away a first down.

The Broncos were doing enough to beat themselves. They didn't need the
help of the officials. :mad:

-----

DenBronx
11-25-2007, 10:37 PM
21 points came off of todds foot.

1 punt was ran back
1 kickoff was ran back
1 horrible kick gave them good field position to score.

todd has seen better days but cmon, he ran his yapper and it backfired. it wouldnt have been so bad if he just would have kept his trap shut.

EDIT: im sorry make that 28 points.

1 punt was blocked and resulted in a td.

DenBronx
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
away a TD.

-----

yeah we got hosed on that call. this loss sucks.

im kinda already looking forward to the draft/offseason. the rest of this year is going to be good but i just think next year will be really good for bronco fans.

abdullah has won me over. fergs best days are behind him and id rather see the new breed bring the heat.

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
The gambling, putting 8 in the box, is a bandaid; it could be very effective sometimes, but it can easily peel off. I also think it's making our corners look worse than they really are.

The gambling, which clearly shows a deficiency in a base defense. Is clearly hurting the defense overall.

I think Bates deserves more than 1 season to rectify the situation. But, clearly Shanahan needs to make an emphasis in the offseason to rectify the situation. It must come from the draft. And it must come through free agency. Or there will be a repeat of this season and last.

topscribe
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah we got hosed on that call. this loss sucks.

im kinda already looking forward to the draft/offseason. the rest of this year is going to be good but i just think next year will be really good for bronco fans.

abdullah has won me over. fergs best days are behind him and id rather see the new breed bring the heat.

I'll have to agree. The Broncos have found themselves a safety. :beer:

Regarding the title of this thread, I'm not that down on the defense. Take
away Hester's TDs and the blocked kick, and the Broncos beat the Bears
34-13 in regulation. When you give a short field to other professional
football players, they will make you pay. I don't care how good the defense is.

-----

omac
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
away a TD.

-----

Yeah, I didn't understand that ruling; Abdullah looked like he wanted to run it to the endzone just in case they overturn it, but they stopped him. Then they put it on the 10 yard line, when he wasn't even touched? :confused:

The Stokley pass looked like a clear reception.

Are the officials this season much worse than before, or are they just under closer scrutiny?

DenBronx
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand that ruling; Abdullah looked like he wanted to run it to the endzone just in case they overturn it, but they stopped him. Then they put it on the 10 yard line, when he wasn't even touched? :confused:

Are the officials this season much worse than before, or are they just under closer scrutiny?

never trust a dancing zebra

topscribe
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Maybe they recruited them away from the WWE? :coffee:

-----

omac
11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

-----

I agree, not to mention very little clock used up on those fast scores. They had plenty of time to come back.

omac
11-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Maybe they recruited them away from the WWE? :coffee:

-----

That would explain a lot. :cheers:

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 10:54 PM

Fumble recovery clearly returned for a 90 yard TD if Hamza ran all the way.

The completion by Stokely ruled incomplete... I don't know what to say about that other than bad call.

These were huge plays, but I still say it wasn't the reason the Broncos lost.

I think the officials should be better. Hey NFL, how about hiring full-time officials? This is a multi-billion dollar industry and the officials work part-time? Seriously, what the hell is up with that? Get your act together and pay officials and make them full-time. I guarantee you the stupidity level of officials would go down if this was their only job.

gobroncsnv
11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand that ruling; Abdullah looked like he wanted to run it to the endzone just in case they overturn it, but they stopped him. Then they put it on the 10 yard line, when he wasn't even touched?

The whistle had blown when Grossman went down. The only "continuation" allowed in such a case is change of possession. We got the best we could have gotten out of it once the play was blown dead. Keep in mind it was a QB that had the ball, and like it or not, they will get a quick whistle (if you want to call it that) to protect him. If the play was blown dead from an official behind the play, it doesn't surprise me.

omac
11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
The whistle had blown when Grossman went down. The only "continuation" allowed in such a case is change of possession. We got the best we could have gotten out of it once the play was blown dead. Keep in mind it was a QB that had the ball, and like it or not, they will get a quick whistle (if you want to call it that) to protect him. If the play was blown dead from an official behind the play, it doesn't surprise me.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the clarification. It does make sense that they try to protect a quarterback.

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM

-----

I am totally down on the defense. When a play is needed to be made, they continue to completely fail.

Take away Hester's return and the block punt and this game is a blowout? Sure it's easy to say that. I will agree that if the ST didn't fail as bad as today this game was a total win.

My total gripe is when as the game unfolded, where was the defense to step in and MAKE THAT SPECIAL PLAY? Seriously, where was it? Where was THAT DEFINING MOMENT where the DEFENSE came up huge and ended the game? That is why I created this thread. Sure, we can easily target the damn awful special teams. But, where was the STELLAR PLAY on defense to hold the win? Where was the END to the Bears defined by a GREAT defensive play. As much as I want to burry to ST's today, where was JUST THAT ONE great play by the defense to bail out the special teams to seal the win? JUST once, of'coarse obviously more where the defense atleast BAILS out the team atleast once? Seriously, I just don't know what to say. They are so bad that they can never be a difference maker down the stretch of a game if it's close. Was the case last year. Is the case this year. Thus, another long season.

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM

If the whistle hadn't blown it's a TD by the Broncos. Refs were A+ this game.:cool:

topscribe
11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I am totally down on the defense. When a play is needed to be made, they continue to completely fail.

Take away Hester's return and the block punt and this game is a blowout? Sure it's easy to say that. I will agree that if the ST didn't fail as bad as today this game was a total win.

My total gripe is when as the game unfolded, where was the defense to step in and MAKE THAT SPECIAL PLAY? Seriously, where was it? Where was THAT DEFINING MOMENT where the DEFENSE came up huge and ended the game? That is why I created this thread. Sure, we can easily target the damn awful special teams. But, where was the STELLAR PLAY on defense to hold the win? Where was the END to the Bears defined by a GREAT defensive play. As much as I want to burry to ST's today, where was JUST THAT ONE great play by the defense to bail out the special teams to seal the win? JUST once, of'coarse obviously more where the defense atleast BAILS out the team atleast once? Seriously, I just don't know what to say. They are so bad that they can never be a difference maker down the stretch of a game if it's close. Was the case last year. Is the case this year. Thus, another long season.

I get it. If it isn't a stellar defense, if they don't have a "defining moment,"
you are totally down on them.

Okay. Whatever.

You still cannot give the defense short fields and expect good results. Stellar
defense or not, were it not for the Sauerbrun/Hester connection, the Broncos
win going away, and the defense is not a great big topic.

-----

gobroncsnv
11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
It's not that I defend it, just the way it is. They put in many extra rules to help insure the longevity of the QB.... The hook slide, the throwing the ball away outside the tackles, etc. I wish they would treat them as just a regular player, especially when they pull the ball down to run for a gain. But, again, the quick whistle, because it was Grossman running, doesn't surprise me.

broncosfanscott
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
It's not that I defend it, just the way it is. They put in many extra rules to help insure the longevity of the QB.... The hook slide, the throwing the ball away outside the tackles, etc. I wish they would treat them as just a regular player, especially when they pull the ball down to run for a gain. But, again, the quick whistle, because it was Grossman running, doesn't surprise me.

I understand some of the rules that are in place to protect the QB, yet the quick whistle is something I have a problem with. Refs blow the whistle too quickly sometimes and need to let the play carry itself out and if something needs to be reversed then a coach or the booth will do that. I remember an INT in the Colts/Charger game that took a bunch of yards away from the Colts. On the NFL Network the head of officiating stated that the ref needs to wait a little before blowing the whistle instead of having the whistle allready in his mouth because once it is blown then the players stop.