PDA

View Full Version : Hurry, hurry at the Death Star

TheReverend
10-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Had quite a few requests on this subject so took a minute to write it up this morning:

Hurry, Hurry, Omaha, Omaha, Alpha, Alpha

What do these mean? These are key words for offenses that can be rotated from week to week or play to play to disguise their meaning from the defense. The actual mechanics of this are important. The words are selected by ease of audible recognition as a response to crowd noise in opposing stadiums.

These words are far from meaningless attempts to confuse the defense, rather, vital communication to adjust to the defense–generally after Peyton makes them declare with a hard a count under center. Recently Peyton used “Omaha” to call a hot route, while “hurry hurry” was the impending snap, letting the offense know the snap is coming on his next count.

Example of a play:

Offense lines up at the line of scrimmage.
Peyton gets under center, to get the defense to declare.
Defense declares and shows blitz.
Peyton steps away yelling “Omaha” calling for a hot route, sometimes changes players positions (moving Knowshon to the blitz, in this example).
Welker recognizes the Will backer and Strong safety showing blitz to his side and knows that means to hot route to a quick route on his side (maybe a slant or in into the vacated area).
Peyton makes more line calls and maybe a hard count.
Peyton yells “Hurry, hurry” for impending snap.
Snap on “set hut”.
3-drop step drop and while Knowshon picks up the blitz an easy completion to Welker to move the chains.

Rest at: http://patrickturley.org/hurry-hurry-at-the-death-star/

LTC Pain
10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Had quite a few requests on this subject so took a minute to write it up this morning:

Alpha, alpha??? The link is blocked for me at work :(

TheReverend
10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Alpha, alpha???

...Is much more commonly used by Brady. There are a good handful of the keywords around the league.

OrangeHoof
10-02-2013, 02:22 PM
The key is in finding words that sound unique and where the voice carries well. When I had a parrot, I named her "Angel" in part because few words rhyme or sound like it so she could be sure I was calling her by name. "Orange" is another word that sounds pretty unique (and fitting for the Broncos) but I don't know how well the word carries when said in a noisy crowd.

claymore
10-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I named my dog the N word one time. It was unmistakable. I dont recommend it.

chazoe60
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM

"The N word" or ******? Either way, probably a bad idea.

claymore
10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
"The N word" or ******? Either way, probably a bad idea.

******* :(

BroncoNut
10-02-2013, 02:35 PM
gay

BigDaddyBronco
10-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm starting to use hurry, hurry with my kids. Like when we are getting ready to go somewhere and they can't find their shoes. "Hurry, hurry".

Broncolingus
10-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Racist

Ravage!!!
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
The key is in finding words that sound unique and where the voice carries well. When I had a parrot, I named her "Angel" in part because few words rhyme or sound like it so she could be sure I was calling her by name. "Orange" is another word that sounds pretty unique (and fitting for the Broncos) but I don't know how well the word carries when said in a noisy crowd.

Can you find another word that rhymes with Orange?

LawDog
10-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Can you find another word that rhymes with Orange?

That's low-hanging fruit Rav...

TXBRONC
10-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Lil Caesars has been doing this for years! Pizza Pizza!

MasterShake
10-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Chad Brown was on the local sports talk show the other day in the afternoon and he said when a QB uses a phrase like "Hurry! Hurry!", especially in a hurry up offense, it really wreaks havoc on the team. He said that since its an "action" word those on offense AND defense react to it and if you are trying to disguise a blitz or something you will start creeping up and expose your intentions. He talked about a time when Elway did something like that to him and noticed him creeping up to the LOS and Elway just winked at him before snapping the ball and throwing the ball over his head for a screen when he blitzed.

TheReverend
10-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Chad Brown was on the local sports talk show the other day in the afternoon and he said when a QB uses a phrase like "Hurry! Hurry!", especially in a hurry up offense, it really wreaks havoc on the team. He said that since its an "action" word those on offense AND defense react to it and if you are trying to disguise a blitz or something you will start creeping up and expose your intentions. He talked about a time when Elway did something like that to him and noticed him creeping up to the LOS and Elway just winked at him before snapping the ball and throwing the ball over his head for a screen when he blitzed.

Yeah, if you look at the example, that's the segment about making the defense declare. Once they've declared, Peyton will restructure the play/formation. At this point, a defense doesn't have time to collect itself and plays at a permanent matchup disadvantage

OrangeHoof
10-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I wonder if Manning yelled "Huddle, Huddle" but then ran a quick play in a no huddle (by design) whether the opposition would not be ready. "Hurry Hurry" makes the defense think they have to react now and be ready for the snap even if Manning's not going to snap for awhile. Yelling the opposite of what you are doing could really confuse the defense and perhaps they would stop listening. You can obviously only use this trick a few times before they caught on but if you really need a first down and can make them think they can relax or substitute while the offense jumps into formation and quick snaps, you're bound to get an easy first down either by play or penalty.

MasterShake
10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
I wonder if Manning yelled "Huddle, Huddle" but then ran a quick play in a no huddle (by design) whether the opposition would not be ready. "Hurry Hurry" makes the defense think they have to react now and be ready for the snap even if Manning's not going to snap for awhile. Yelling the opposite of what you are doing could really confuse the defense and perhaps they would stop listening. You can obviously only use this trick a few times before they caught on but if you really need a first down and can make them think they can relax or substitute while the offense jumps into formation and quick snaps, you're bound to get an easy first down either by play or penalty.

Sounds complicated but it could work! :lol:

The Omaha and other calls were mixed up and when Philly tried to time it Manning got them a few times. Probably only really works at home.