PDA

View Full Version : I officially hate OT in the NFL.

LoyalSoldier
11-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Something I have said for a long time, OT sucks. I think the success rating for the team with the coin toss is close to 70%. Personally that is not fair at all. Kind of stupid when your best unit was the offense and they can't even see the field. Frankly this kind of OT is just a way to get the game over with and not to see who is better.

Poet
11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I can understand that, but oh man was that an exciting game.

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2007, 07:54 PM
I haven't liked it since I've started watching. Just this year we've lost two overtime games without even touching the ball. Fun. Good thing multi-billion dollar games can be decided by a coin...

Tned
11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I haven't liked it since I've started watching. Just this year we've lost two overtime games without even touching the ball. Fun. Good thing multi-billion dollar games can be decided by a coin...

It might not be ideal, but I don't think the college route is much better. Yes, both teams get to touch it, but in college you win the toss, choose D, if you keep them from scoring, you run it three times and kick the FG to win.

Maybe they should drop the ball from 30 yards in the air over the 50 yard line, sort of face off/tip off style. Line up the teams on their own 20, drop it and let them run.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Fans love it when their team wins though.

omac
11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Denver had the game a few times, but they shot themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Sauerbrun kicking to the middle of the field to Hester and getting burned by him, not just once, but twice. On the punting team, the illegal formation(?) from a pretty good punt which caused the re-kick and the blocked punt; the push-off by Bly on 4th down that gave Chicago 1st down ... that was the game there, just a really bonehead risk to take. On the ensuing plays, after gaining some yardage, a false start (or illegal formation) on a spike to move them back; don't know if they were in field goal range before that though.

For the supposedly best corners in the league, Bailey and Bly have been beaten in the big plays a few times now this season.

The mental errors by the Broncos special teams and defense kept the Bears in the game when they had no business being in it. It nullifies a pretty strong show by an offense that started out slow due to weather conditions.

gobroncsnv
11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Playing defense in OT is important... we didn't.

omac
11-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Yep, but it shouldn't have gone to overtime. After getting burned by Hester from the middle of the field once, why kick it to him there again? In this game, we made some big offensive plays, scoring rushing and passing TD's, all nullified by some really bad special teams play.

Tned
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
a false start (or illegal formation) on a spike to move them back; don't know if they were in field goal range before that though.

No, not even close. It did put them close to mid-field, so they could try a hail mary, but that was all that cost them. One hail mary throw to end regulation.

The rest of what you said was spot on.

LoyalSoldier
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Yet it shouldn't be that way. You can have the absolute best offense in the NFL, but if your defense has issues you lose. Frankly even if they don't do it college style they should make it so each team can see the ball at least once before they go to sudden death.

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Something I have said for a long time, OT sucks. I think the success rating for the team with the coin toss is close to 70%. Personally that is not fair at all. Kind of stupid when your best unit was the offense and they can't even see the field. Frankly this kind of OT is just a way to get the game over with and not to see who is better.

Where was the defense? Totally burned by the catch to Desmond Clark. Defense still stinks and improvements need to be addressed in the offseason.

eessydo
11-25-2007, 08:24 PM

The rules are the rules, and, quite frankly, we should have never gone to overtime in the first place. If you don't want a coin flip to determine the game then grab your sack and play some defense or special teams or SOMETHING.

Make me want to puke.

broncosfanscott
11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Denver had the game a few times, but they shot themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Sauerbrun kicking to the middle of the field to Hester and getting burned by him, not just once, but twice. On the punting team, the illegal formation(?) from a pretty good punt which caused the re-kick and the blocked punt; the push-off by Bly on 4th down that gave Chicago 1st down ... that was the game there, just a really bonehead risk to take. On the ensuing plays, after gaining some yardage, a false start (or illegal formation) on a spike to move them back; don't know if they were in field goal range before that though.

For the supposedly best corners in the league, Bailey and Bly have been beaten in the big plays a few times now this season.

The mental errors by the Broncos special teams and defense kept the Bears in the game when they had no business being in it. It nullifies a pretty strong show by an offense that started out slow due to weather conditions.

Good points and good post.

Special teams was doing a good job of keeping Hester in check for most of the game until he finally got his return that I figured he would get......didn't think he would get two. Kickoffs have to go to him, yet why didn't we punt the ball out of bounds. On one of those returns there was a HUGE hole right in the middle of the field.

The weather played a factor in the beginning yet we finally got things going in the second half only to see our defense blow a 14-point lead. This is the second time that has happened. Fortunatly we were able to beat Pittsburgh after they tied it up.

Once again we get inside the red zone and end up kicking two FGs. The one thing I saw repeatedly was running up the middle for no gains instead of passing. All that momentum we had is now gone.

I don't hate the OT rules, yet I probably will soon if we keep losing the toss and the game on the opposition's first drive. This game should have never gone to OT though. Dispite Hester's two returns we still had a 14-pt. lead and blew it.

LoyalSoldier
11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Where was the defense? Totally burned by the catch to Desmond Clark. Defense still stinks and improvements need to be addressed in the offseason.

I do not disagree with anyone that the defense blew it, but it doesn't change the fact that OT in the NFL is a crock. Even NFL-E had better rules on OT.

It is like this "YAY WE TIED THE GAME ON A TD!!!!!.....Ah CRAP WE LOST THE COIN TOSS!!!"

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I will say one thing and I blame Mike for it. Where's the killer throat technique?

Screw the RB plays and trying to run the clock out. NE should be a model. Take no chances and bury a team. And bury a team hard so there's no reprocussion. Keep f'n attacking. Worked on the B. Marshall bomb. The Bears D was weak and tired, but Denver didn't continue attacking that defense. This game is a tough loss.

Nomad
11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Denver should of held the Bears no excuses! Hell, the BRONCOS should not have even been in OT to begin with! OT system is fine, just who is lucky on the coin toss and who executes and defends well. And Denver let Rex Grossman beat them in OT!:laugh:

LoyalSoldier
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Denver should of held the Bears no excuses! Hell, the BRONCOS should not have even been in OT to begin with! OT system is fine, just who is lucky on the coin toss and who executes and defends well. And Denver let Rex Grossman beat them in OT!:laugh:

I have to disagree with OT being fine. In the NFL OT the offense is trying to score the smallest amount possible while the college OT they are trying to get as much as possible. NFL OT is just lame.

Nomad
11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
I have to disagree with OT being fine. In the NFL OT the offense is trying to score the smallest amount possible while the college OT they are trying to get as much as possible. NFL OT is just lame.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I! Dream is right, no one whines when Denver wins their OTs!

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I do not disagree with anyone that the defense blew it, but it doesn't change the fact that OT in the NFL is a crock. Even NFL-E had better rules on OT.

It is like this "YAY WE TIED THE GAME ON A TD!!!!!.....Ah CRAP WE LOST THE COIN TOSS!!!"

The defense completely bombed in the 4th Q and OT. Seriously, there isn't much to say.

OT rules are what they are. If the defense showed ANYTHING with the game on the line, there was no need for OT.

I think OT rules are just fine. Bears had the ball and moved the football against our sh*tty defense. Are you surprised? I wasn't, but damn I was hoping for a different outcome.

Joel
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM

Hard to argue with much of that, though I think Bly and Bailey GENERALLY played a good game (Blys pick got us points, after all) but the one time they each got hurt was costly (Blys unnecessary penalty converted a fourth down on the last drive, which ended with the TD on Bailey). I don't think we can really claim the wrong team one after the second half we played though; we got the ball to start with a 13-6 lead and before we could blink Chicago was in FG range with the score tied (just be grateful Grossman fumbled). In fact the first half was really no source of pride; if the D hadn't shrugged off a 20 yard gain on 3rd and 3something the Bears were out of range for a FG they needed to get to OT at the end.

The bottom line, as someone else noted, is that if you don't want to take a chance on over time don't blow a 14 point lead with ten minutes left. If a game's tied after 60:00 a coin flip seems about as good a way as any to end the game (and winning the coin flip isn't a guarantee; if you go three and out the momentum starts to turn the other way). It's still 50/50 odds, so statistically speaking teams are going to win the toss as often as they miss it. We dominated every place but special teams and gave the game away on two return TDs and a blocked punt that cost a TD, so I can't really fault the D much for giving up the tying score at the end any more than I fault the offense for not grinding out a clock killing drive that ended in three kneel downs to protect that 7 point lead. Think about it: When the Bears scored there was <0:30 on the clock; how much does a first down (and no more Bears TOs) change the final score?

It's a lot like the Indy game last year, really; a lot of things had to happen for Chicago to win, but they all did because we let them. But it was one of the few Broncos games I've been able to see this year, and I've finally gotten some real hope for future success. The offense looks good (though I still think Jay goes to Marshall too much; if I notice you know DCs do... ) and Dumervil, Crowder and yes, even Engleburger, look like the elements of a solid defensive line--IF we find some solid tackles to stick with them; at 5-6 and not being >.500 since week 4 I think we'll have a good chance at doing that.

The good news is I don't see this years KC team winning at Mile High, so Chicago and at SD are really the toughest games we have left, even if most are on the road (at Houston and the Raiders plus hosting the Vikings are the other games). It's a long way from the 13-3±1 I expected when we still had Warren and Kennedy, but it looks like a good shot at 9-7 again, and maybe 10-6. The bad news is we have to run the table to make 10-6, and anything else just means no playoffs and a mediocre draft position (again).

Joel
11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
The defense completely bombed in the 4th Q and OT. Seriously, there isn't much to say.

OT rules are what they are. If the defense showed ANYTHING with the game on the line, there was no need for OT.

I think OT rules are just fine. Bears had the ball and moved the football against our sh*tty defense. Are you surprised? I wasn't, but damn I was hoping for a different outcome.
I actually WAS kinda surprised their always poor offense was so effective at the end after being so ineffective the rest of the game. What really has me scratching my head is that this game ended a lot like the Packers game: In OT one of the Leagues best secondaries immediately gave up long passes that spelled their demise. The first one I might be willing to chalk up to Favre always being very good or very bad, but GROSSMAN?!!!

LoyalSoldier
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
You're entitled to your opinion as am I! Dream is right, no one whines when Denver wins their OTs!

I have said OT is a crock even when Denver won anyways. I think this loss is just the apex of why I hate OT. I also said it when other teams have lost in a similar way.

I just think that it is stupid that teams don't even try to score TDs in OT as much as get close and kick the FG. It would be far more interesting if the team had to get a TD. I mean the team who wins the coin toss wins 70% of the time and many times they do it on the first drive. That should tell you something.

You guys don't need to give me the riot act on what we did wrong, I don't care. We screwed up more on special teams than anything else, but that doesn't change my stance on OT. A stance I have had for a long time now.

omac
11-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Hard to argue with much of that, though I think Bly and Bailey GENERALLY played a good game (Blys pick got us points, after all) but the one time they each got hurt was costly (Blys unnecessary penalty converted a fourth down on the last drive, which ended with the TD on Bailey). I don't think we can really claim the wrong team one after the second half we played though; we got the ball to start with a 13-6 lead and before we could blink Chicago was in FG range with the score tied (just be grateful Grossman fumbled). In fact the first half was really no source of pride; if the D hadn't shrugged off a 20 yard gain on 3rd and 3something the Bears were out of range for a FG they needed to get to OT at the end.

The bottom line, as someone else noted, is that if you don't want to take a chance on over time don't blow a 14 point lead with ten minutes left. If a game's tied after 60:00 a coin flip seems about as good a way as any to end the game (and winning the coin flip isn't a guarantee; if you go three and out the momentum starts to turn the other way). It's still 50/50 odds, so statistically speaking teams are going to win the toss as often as they miss it. We dominated every place but special teams and gave the game away on two return TDs and a blocked punt that cost a TD, so I can't really fault the D much for giving up the tying score at the end any more than I fault the offense for not grinding out a clock killing drive that ended in three kneel downs to protect that 7 point lead. Think about it: When the Bears scored there was <0:30 on the clock; how much does a first down (and no more Bears TOs) change the final score?

It's a lot like the Indy game last year, really; a lot of things had to happen for Chicago to win, but they all did because we let them. But it was one of the few Broncos games I've been able to see this year, and I've finally gotten some real hope for future success. The offense looks good (though I still think Jay goes to Marshall too much; if I notice you know DCs do... ) and Dumervil, Crowder and yes, even Engleburger, look like the elements of a solid defensive line--IF we find some solid tackles to stick with them; at 5-6 and not being >.500 since week 4 I think we'll have a good chance at doing that.

The good news is I don't see this years KC team winning at Mile High, so Chicago and at SD are really the toughest games we have left, even if most are on the road (at Houston and the Raiders plus hosting the Vikings are the other games). It's a long way from the 13-3±1 I expected when we still had Warren and Kennedy, but it looks like a good shot at 9-7 again, and maybe 10-6. The bad news is we have to run the table to make 10-6, and anything else just means no playoffs and a mediocre draft position (again).

Nice post. :salute:

Denver had a real shot at this game, but like you said, when they needed to sustain drives to maintain the lead, they didn't. The playcalling noticeably changed, becoming way more conservative, and this time, Chicago's defense was ready. Tough to move the chains when the defense knows what's coming. Maybe they should've just stayed in aggressive mode.

On the predictions, those were done way before all these injuries. Who knew before the season started that Myers would be our center, Marshall would be our number 1 receiver, and Hall would be our featured back? Ridiculous wave of injuries.

On your other post on how well other offenses look against us ... I guess it's mostly because of the cheating up on the line that weakens our pass defense. On the success of their rushing, I think Peterson's a better back than Benson.

Stargazer
11-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I actually WAS kinda surprised their always poor offense was so effective at the end after being so ineffective the rest of the game. What really has me scratching my head is that this game ended a lot like the Packers game: In OT one of the Leagues best secondaries immediately gave up long passes that spelled their demise. The first one I might be willing to chalk up to Favre always being very good or very bad, but GROSSMAN?!!!

Game film during the game. The Broncos are pathetic at stopping the run, therefore they gamble 8 in the box. As Favre/Grossman(with coaches help) had seen a complete hole in the Broncos defense on 1st down as the game developed. Both Favre/Grossman was able to eat up our pathetic defense by passing on 1st down. Notice how each huge play by Favre/Grossman happened on 1st down? Denver loads 8 in the box expecting to stop the typical run as they played the entire game. What does the coaches call? A big strike on 1st down against our secondary. Result? One for TD. Another for huge yards to setup a FG. The Broncos wouldn't have been in either situations if there wasn't a deficiency in the front 7. These are 2 great examples where the front 7 cannot get it done in a game.

Medford Bronco
11-25-2007, 11:35 PM

I agree, the defense sucks

need a major overhaul
IMO

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 04:17 AM
I'd rather have a Defense that could force a Punt in OT rather then have us blow the game. I dont want the OT rule changed. I've seen teams INT for a TD in OT as well. Cant we play Defense for 3 plays? Instead we get beat because of the cointoss. I dont want the overtime rule changed at all really. I've always liked the sudden death. It makes it more exciting knowing that whoever scores wins. Rather then going for a TD then going for 1 or 2. Then the other team gets the ball. I like college ball and like the way they do things but I want the NFL to stay the same.

If they could change one thing about OT in the NFL I would want it to be so that the coinflip can be a best of 5. That would give both teams a chance to win the toss. IMO.

SR
11-26-2007, 04:24 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, but after the GB game I think it was here that I started the thread about how crappy our overtime is. If I had to choose between NCAA and NFL rules, I'd choose NCAA 100% o the time. NFL OT rules are crap, regardless of how many times Denver wins or loses in OT.

omac
11-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Bah, I say make it like Tennis or Baseball, and just keep giving them more and more overtime quarters until one team finally leads the other in the end. :D

SR
11-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Or we could adopt soccer's OT rules.

omac
11-26-2007, 04:46 AM

Is that like having each kicker try and kick a field goal? Yeah, why not, but the kick should be 55 yards away. :D

SR
11-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Is that like having each kicker try and kick a field goal? Yeah, why not, but the kick should be 55 yards away. :D

Actually, after thinking about it, soccer's OT is still a Sudden Death deal, so that wouldn't work out too well.

NCAA sounds best.

Tned
11-26-2007, 08:35 AM

Or this :D :

It might not be ideal, but I don't think the college route is much better. Yes, both teams get to touch it, but in college you win the toss, choose D, if you keep them from scoring, you run it three times and kick the FG to win.

Maybe they should drop the ball from 30 yards in the air over the 50 yard line, sort of face off/tip off style. Line up the teams on their own 20, drop it and let them run.

champbronc2
11-26-2007, 08:39 AM
College OT is just lovely.

NFL OT is just ugly.

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
College OT is just lovely.

NFL OT is just ugly.

I wouldn't say its ugly. I think its cute. :salute:

It makes it exciting when its first team to score wins. Even though it hasn't really gone our way lately I still like it. I just wish we played D.

omac
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM

It makes it exciting when its first team to score wins. Even though it hasn't really gone our way lately I still like it. I just wish we played D.

And I wish we'd win the coin toss. :D

OB
11-26-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah - i feel ya - i watched more college FB this wwekend than usually my yearly intake - one of the games being the LSU (?) 3 OT game - i almost was glad the bears were going for the FG b4 i realized DIFFERENT RULES MORON :duh: I blame.....................ummmm........... the refs .............yeah the refs....................LOL....................... .

But seriously, lets take 60 minutes of football and decide it on a coin toss:rolleyes: WT................. :mad:

OB
11-26-2007, 10:06 PM
PS - I dont need Tivo - i just read the threads and let you guys do all the work - LOL ;)

omac
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah - i feel ya - i watched more college FB this wwekend than usually my yearly intake - one of the games being the LSU (?) 3 OT game - i almost was glad the bears were going for the FG b4 i realized DIFFERENT RULES MORON :duh: I blame.....................ummmm........... the refs .............yeah the refs....................LOL....................... .

But seriously, lets take 60 minutes of football and decide it on a coin toss:rolleyes: WT................. :mad:

LOL, yes ... FG ... oh no! :rofl:

OB
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
LOL, yes ... FG ... oh no! :rofl:

Seriously - I felt like such a MO-RON even letting the thought enter my head but i just got so entranced with #1 in college losing i was in that mode of thinking

And you gotta give me props for being "man" enough to admit thinking such a thought to begin with :laugh:

omac
11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Seriously - I felt like such a MO-RON even letting the thought enter my head but i just got so entranced with #1 in college losing i was in that mode of thinking

And you gotta give me props for being "man" enough to admit thinking such a thought to begin with :laugh:

Hehe, that's cool. I don't even know most of the college football rules. :cheers:

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
I dont understand how you can say 60 minutes of football got decided on a coin toss. College OT is rediculous. After 3 OT then you have to go for 2 after you score. I think thats a joke as well.
I'm more pissed about us not being able to hold them. Theres times when both teams get the ball. Theres times when the Defense scores a TD. And theres times when only 1 team gets the ball in OT.

They made the better plays in OT and won.
Keep the OT rule.

I would HATE if they got rid of it.

broncosfanscott
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, after thinking about it, soccer's OT is still a Sudden Death deal, so that wouldn't work out too well.

NCAA sounds best.

The overtime in soccer isn't sudden death. It used to be when the "golden goal" was introduced, which meant the first to score won the game. Now, teams that are still tied after 90 minutes play two 15-minute OT periods and whoever has the most goals after the two sessions wins. This is the new FIFA rule which was applyed in the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_goal

I think the OT rules in the NFL should stay the way they are. The Broncos should have never let that game get to OT.

OB
11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
I dont understand how you can say 60 minutes of football got decided on a coin toss. College OT is rediculous. After 3 OT then you have to go for 2 after you score. I think thats a joke as well.
I'm more pissed about us not being able to hold them. Theres times when both teams get the ball. Theres times when the Defense scores a TD. And theres times when only 1 team gets the ball in OT.

They made the better plays in OT and won.
Keep the OT rule.

I would HATE if they got rid of it.

Queer sig boy, ;) dont get me wrong - we should have never let it get to OT - but I do feel ANY OT game in the NFL usually is decided by the toss of a coin - whether the team BLEW a HUGE lead with almost NO time left on the clock :rolleyes: so it should never have been decided by the dumb ass OT rules to begin with - but what would be the perfect situation for OT in the NFL?

BroncoBJ
11-26-2007, 10:54 PM
:lol: @ Queer sig. And I like OT the way it is. They dont flip a coin to determine who wins the game. They flip a coin to see who wants the ball or not. I remember when Detroit won the toss a while back and Morningweg(sp) Elected to kick off. :lol:

But we should have just played D in overtime. At least they didn't return the kick off for a TD. That would have sucked.

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 12:00 AM

breaks of the game, luck of the draw..

The only way to avoid it is play better defense so they do not score more than you do.

Sorry while it may suck I do not see an better way to deal with it..

champbronc2
11-27-2007, 07:43 AM

I don't know.

Watching that ARK and LSU game was much funner than other OT games in the NFL...

Keeps you on the edge.

Canmore
11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I would like to see overtime be one full quarter with forth quarter timing rules. If after one quarter it is still a tie, then it ends in a tie. During the playoffs if it still is tied it would go to sudden death but the ball would remain in play where the ball is, down distance etc. I don't see it happening though.

broncosfanscott
11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
I would like to see overtime be one full quarter with forth quarter timing rules. If after one quarter it is still a tie, then it ends in a tie. During the playoffs if it still is tied it would go to sudden death but the ball would remain in play where the ball is, down distance etc. I don't see it happening though.

Playing one full quarter and the full 15 minutes is actually a good idea. However, I agree with you on the fact that I don't think the OT rules will change.