PDA

View Full Version : Marshall getting another chance in Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/3464/marshall-is-getting-another-chance-in-denver

Does Brandon Marshall have a clean slate in Denver?

The relationship between the disgruntled Pro Bowl receiver and the team may be too damaged for Marshall to have a completely fresh start, but the team did reinstate him Sunday after a team-imposed suspension.

He is expected to practice (and practice seriously and hard) with the team and be eligible to play in Sunday’s season opener at Cincinnati.

This has been an ugly summer between Marshall and the Broncos, but maybe Marshall has learned from his actions and is ready to make a contribution.

Denver must have heard the right things from him. Because the Broncos were not forced to lift this suspension. They could have kept Marshall on the suspended list.

But the two sides had to come to some sort of accord. So, now it is time to move on. If Marshall gives Denver any type of positive contribution this year, it has to be looked at as a bonus.

But now, at least, it looks like it’s possible.

Lonestar
09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
lets hope Rod can get him straight if not it will be a tough year for BM.. I hope he knocks the socks off the WR core this year and as a RFA we can get a #1 and #3 from some middle of the pack team someone looking for that one special player to get them to the next level....

I for one only want to see a great year from him with no more issues off or on the field.. time for him to move on and be a head case some where else..

because we all know this knuckle head is one instance from an 8 week suspension.. and we all know it will happen it is not a matter of if, just when..

j3phr3y
09-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Given Orton's preference for the short, safe pass and Marshall's YAC ability, I can't imagine Marshall being worth more to any other team than he is to Denver this year.

Nomad
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Why can't it be about a team winning rather than a players stats !! Oh I forgot it's a 'me' league and a 'fantasy football' league for fans!!

Lonestar
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Given Orton's preference for the short, safe pass and Marshall's YAC ability, I can't imagine Marshall being worth more to any other team than he is to Denver this year.

I think your mistaken KO was not calling the plays this preseason Josh was.. so if he was throwing short it was because his deeper WR and TE were covered and he was throwing to the open man.. the way this scheme is devised..

but BM could have a great year this year..

Overtime
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM

just imagine if he was on the field with Moss and Welker, that trio would be bad freakin' ass.

New England would be damn near unstoppable.

broncophan
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
lets hope Rod can get him straight if not it will be a tough year for BM.. I hope he knocks the socks off the WR core this year and as a RFA we can get a #1 and #3 from some middle of the pack team someone looking for that one special player to get them to the next level....

I for one only want to see a great year from him with no more issues off or on the field.. time for him to move on and be a head case some where else..

because we all know this knuckle head is one instance from an 8 week suspension.. and we all know it will happen it is not a matter of if, just when..

The fact that we have to "hope" Marshall will no longer be a problem is a joke in itself.....

one of the last things this team needs this season is a head-case...I don't see a productive season from Marshall at all.......hope I am wrong...

j3phr3y
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I think your mistaken KO was not calling the plays this preseason Josh was.. so if he was throwing short it was because his deeper WR and TE were covered and he was throwing to the open man.. the way this scheme is devised..

That wasn't a criticism at Orton at all. If Orton is faced with a choice between a 5 yard 80% pass and a 40 yard 5% pass, I have no problem with chipping away and working the offense. BM gives a greater chance of turning a high percentage pass into a long yardage gain.

Tned
09-06-2009, 10:11 PM
That wasn't a criticism at Orton at all. If Orton is faced with a choice between a 5 yard 80% pass and a 40 yard 5% pass, I have no problem with chipping away and working the offense. BM gives a greater chance of turning a high percentage pass into a long yardage gain.

He also makes it easier to hit the underneath passes, as Marshall will be double or triple covered on nearly every play.

Ravage!!!
09-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Thats the way EVERY scheme is devised :lol:

T.K.O.
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
just imagine if he was on the field with Moss and Welker, that trio would be bad freakin' ass.

New England would be damn near unstoppable.

just imagine if he was on the field with royal and stokely,that trio would be bad freakin ass,denver would be damn near unstoppable.:salute:

claymore
09-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Its easier for me to believe it was by design than it is to to believe our recievers were constantly covered, and Orton threw to his check downs on almost every play.

I hope its all a charade.

SoCalImport
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Everyone is capable of change. Everyone has those "ah'ha" moments in life.

Maybe, just maybe. Marshall seeing himself act like a ten year old on national TV and hearing the criticism from people that had (till then) been squarely on his side. Maybe that (and the suspension) had a REAL effect on him.

I'm going to go ahead and keep my glass half full on this one. Cuz a guy like Marshall with his head on strait? that's just good for the Broncos.

TXBRONC
09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
He also makes it easier to hit the underneath passes, as Marshall will be double or triple covered on nearly every play.

If we're in the spread a large percentage of the time are defenses going be able to afford to double or even triple team him?

scott.475
09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope we can trust him to fly straight, but I am not encouraged. We have heard it from him and his camp too many times already "I know I have to grow up", "This incident has helped me mature", "I know people are looking up to me", blah, blah, blah, and yet everything that happens to him is the fault of someone else: McDonald's bag, the trainers, his girlfriends, the coach (I am am far from sticking up for McD so far).

You know, honestly, put yourself in his mind set and no wonder he doesn't want to sign an incentive laden contract. He either know he can't keep himself straight, or he really believes there is some universal conspiracy to destroy him in that everyone around him seems to cause him trouble, either way he knows signing an incentive laden contract would be VERY risky on his part.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 7 times, shame on me. I am just not buying it and at this point I think anyone who buys into any act of contrition from him should know better.

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
If we're in the spread a large percentage of the time are defenses going be able to afford to double or even triple team him?

It will be very hard to double anyone let alone triple cover folks IF the scheme and routes are run correctly.. OR they are going to be a lot of folks on the field wide open like they were last year..

Will BM see doubles? from time to time but if we are doing it right then we make them pay for it by hitting the open man.. and as long as we are moving the chains and eating up the clock who cares..

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Uh oh, jr......you're gonna get bashed for that....:listen:

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Thats the way EVERY scheme is devised :lol:

Thanks for agreeing with Jr, rav......

:elefant:

Tned
09-07-2009, 02:08 PM

If they have the right personell on the field, they will. In part, it will depend on what personell we have 2 WR, 3 WR, 4 WR, etc.

Like in the past, at minimum the defense will likely have a safety roll in his direction, so there is deep/inside help, but in other situations you could have a double team plus safety help.

TXBRONC
09-07-2009, 02:19 PM
If they have the right personnel on the field, they will. In part, it will depend on what personnel we have 2 WR, 3 WR, 4 WR, etc.

Like in the past, at minimum the defense will likely have a safety roll in his direction, so there is deep/inside help, but in other situations you could have a double team plus safety help.

I think we have enough talented receivers wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs that it will present a real problem for opposing teams to double and triple team Marshall.

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
If they have the right personell on the field, they will. In part, it will depend on what personell we have 2 WR, 3 WR, 4 WR, etc.

Like in the past everyone in the western hemisphere knew that jay was going to force the ball to marshall.. while leaving someone open underneath or short..

Can they disguise coverages.. YES but if the scheme works like it should it should not matter as Marshall will not be only WR target on the field 50% of the time..

marshal was targeted 140% more than Eddie was..
marshall was targeted 212% more than Stokely was
329% more than Jackson was..

Tned
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I think we have enough talented receivers wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs that it will present a real problem for opposing teams to double and triple team Marshall.

Just all depends on the personnel groups on both sides of the ball. Does the defense play a 3-4 or 4-3, how many receivers we are running, etc.

Let's say we are running 3 wr and 2 te and the defense is a 3-4 in nickel. Then both TE's could be covered by LB's, leaving 3 CB's to cover the receivers and two safeties (either both deep, or one up for run support and one deep).

Or, you might have someone like Scheffler covered by a safety, Graham by a LB, another LB dropping into zone coverage on Marshall's side, and/or a safety cheating in Marshall's direction.

There are just a multitude of possibilities. If the defense stays in a base defense and we go 4 WR + 1 TE, then yes, there aren't enough defenders, but on the flip side if we go empty back field 4wr or 3 WR + 2 TE, and the defense puts the proper personnel package on the other side of the ball, then they can rush 3 or 4 and have 7 or 8 defenders covering 5 potential receivers. Even if they rush 5, that leaves 6 in coverage of some type. That's why people like Moss are still double or triple teamed, even though NE runs this same spread offense that we are putting in place.

Tned
09-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Those numbers sound right for a #1 receiver of Marshall's talent. Moving back to the dink and dunk, with tons of WR and RB screens, I fully expect the ball to be spread around much more than a passing game with any kind of vertical thread.

That said, a player like Marshall or Moss, frees up those underneath routes, because they have to put two defenders on Marshall, because no DB in the league can cover him one on one, if the QB can get him the ball.

TXBRONC
09-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Just all depends on the personnel groups on both sides of the ball. Does the defense play a 3-4 or 4-3, how many receivers we are running, etc.

Let's say we are running 3 wr and 2 te and the defense is a 3-4 in nickel. Then both TE's could be covered by LB's, leaving 3 CB's to cover the receivers and two safeties (either both deep, or one up for run support and one deep).

Or, you might have someone like Scheffler covered by a safety, Graham by a LB, another LB dropping into zone coverage on Marshall's side, and/or a safety cheating in Marshall's direction.

There are just a multitude of possibilities. If the defense stays in a base defense and we go 4 WR + 1 TE, then yes, there aren't enough defenders, but on the flip side if we go empty back field 4wr or 3 WR + 2 TE, and the defense puts the proper personnel package on the other side of the ball, then they can rush 3 or 4 and have 7 or 8 defenders covering 5 potential receivers. Even if they rush 5, that leaves 6 in coverage of some type. That's why people like Moss are still double or triple teamed, even though NE runs this same spread offense that we are putting in place.

Sure opposing defenses will attempt to roll coverage Marshall's way, but what I'm saying is if they do I think we have enough talent in our receiving corp that there is good chance it will become problematic for them. Just using your example of Scheffler. He's match nightmare for most linebackers and safeties.

Ravage!!!
09-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Lets put those numbers into perspective

Out of 30 passes a game.. how many of those go to Marshall, Eddie, and Stokely with those %? (I can't believe you even tried to throw Jackson in there)... Then lets bring the TE, the RBs and the FB into the equation.

I mean.. if he throws to Marshall 4 times, and Royal 2 times just what is the percentage of passes thrown to Marshall over Royal?

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Lets put those numbers into perspective

Out of 30 passes a game.. how many of those go to Marshall, Eddie, and Stokely with those %? (I can't believe you even tried to throw Jackson in there)... Then lets bring the TE, the RBs and the FB into the equation.

I mean.. if he throws to Marshall 4 times, and Royal 2 times just what is the percentage of passes thrown to Marshall over Royal?

it was a comparison of WR that was all and Jackson D was on the team as a WR as was C Jackson who was only thrown to ONCE.. I left that one off just because..

I do not care abut the RB TE etc because they are not WR's but I'm sure their numbers would be even higher percentages than those of Eddie Etal..

It was s graphic illustration of the favoritism of BM and while he even caught at a lower rate than the other s jay was going for gold..

For Example..

name % of caught passes.. % of 1st downs

BM 57.4% 61.9
Eddie 70.5% 47.3
tony S 65.6 70
BS 57.7 71.4
Graham 64 62.5
Jackson D 47.6 66.7
Hillis 73.7 64.3
Pittman 76.9 10
Jackson,n 64.7 36.4

everyone that caught more than 11 passes had a better % of caught passes other than DJ and most had more % of 1st downs..

Tned
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Sure opposing defenses will attempt to roll coverage Marshall's way, but what I'm saying is if they do I think we have enough talent in our receiving corp that there is good chance it will become problematic for them. Just using your example of Scheffler. He's match nightmare for most linebackers and safeties.

I'm not saying that the Broncos can't take advantage of it. You can argue, and I do, that Marshall being on the field makes all the other receivers more productive, because the defense will focus on him. Just like defenders focusing on Moss, opens Welker up and Welker's production was through the roof.

However, take Marshall off the field, and you have no other receiver that demands a double team, which means their safeties and other defenders can play deep zones, cover 2 or whatever, to have a more balanced defense and minimize big plays.

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not saying that the Broncos can't take advantage of it. You can argue, and I do, that Marshall being on the field makes all the other receivers more productive, because the defense will focus on him. Just like defenders focusing on Moss, opens Welker up and Welker's production was through the roof.

However, take Marshall off the field, and you have no other receiver that demands a double team, which means their safeties and other defenders can play deep zones, cover 2 or whatever, to have a more balanced defense and minimize big plays.

while you make a point about BM demanding more coverage..

If he is not on the Field there will be a another favorite receiver that will take over that position of getting more coverage.. unless they all suck (I think we can rule that out) some one will be getting more coverage than others will...

but IF he can start play football again instead of being a drama queen it is all moot..

Ravage!!!
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
it was a comparison of WR that was all and Jackson D was on the team as a WR as was C Jackson who was only thrown to ONCE.. I left that one off just because..

I do not care abut the RB TE etc because they are not WR's but I'm sure their numbers would be even higher percentages than those of Eddie Etal..

It was s graphic illustration of the favoritism of BM and while he even caught at a lower rate than the other s jay was going for gold..

For Example..

name % of caught passes.. % of 1st downs

BM 57.4% 61.9
Eddie 70.5% 47.3
tony S 65.6 70
BS 57.7 71.4
Graham 64 62.5
Jackson D 47.6 66.7
Hillis 73.7 64.3
Pittman 76.9 10
Jackson,n 64.7 36.4

everyone that caught more than 11 passes had a better % of caught passes other than DJ and most had more % of 1st downs..

Yeah.. but I still don't see your point?

For one.. Jackson was rarely on the field... beign a WR or not. Every team has those guys that come in and 'hold a spot'...but they don't get thrown to a lot. If the Jacksons were better.... tye most probably would be put into positions that would get them more passes.

Eddie caught 91 balls last season. To simply say that Marshall got 140% more passes is VERY VERy deceiving, and doesn't say anything.

If I throw the ball the ball the first 4 plays of the game, and throw at marshall 3 times and Royal once.... that means we throw the ball 300% more to Marshall than we do Royal. WOW.. 300%!!!!! That 300% illustrates just how close 140% really is.

Thats all I'm saying. You try to make it sound as if the only eyes Cutler had was Marhall. But when you have the #2 catch 90+ passes... I think thats EXTREMELY short-sighted as to the truth. When you throw the ball 38.5 times a game, your big time stud WR is going to get his fair share of the passes.

Tned
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
while you make a point about BM demanding more coverage..

If he is not on the Field there will be a another favorite receiver that will take over that position of getting more coverage.. unless they all suck (I think we can rule that out) some one will be getting more coverage than others will...

but IF he can start play football again instead of being a drama queen it is all moot..

I love Royal and think he is a great receiver, but he will be MUCH better with Marshall on the field. Obviously, we all saw what he did in week 1, but he caught the world by surprise, not just the Raiders.

Royal isn't big or strong enough to demand double teams. If he turns out to be our number 1 receiver, he will get some, but also be mostly shut down when he is double teamed. I know you aren't a fan of Cutlers or Marshalls, but I am sure you will agree that one of the reasons that Royal had the second most receptions ever by a rookie WR (only Boldin had more) was because Marshall drew so much attention, leaving Royal almost always single covered, where his quickness, ability to separate and routing running skills shine.

If you take Marshall out of the picture, and Royal is now the #1 WR, then that means he is the guy that teams will game plan to 'take out of play' and that means that Stokely and Gaffney will have to play last year's Royal role. I think we can all see that Stokely/Gaffney are likely to be much less productive than Royal in that role.

Also, when we face teams with good CBs, they won't even both double-teaming Royal.

Nobody has to like his off-field behavior, or what he pulled in TC, but it really doesn't matter what stats are thrown out to try and make Marshall look like a crappy receiver or to try and prove that he only looked good because Cutler threw to him too much, the fact is that anyone who actually watched the games knows that Marshall is an elite talent on the field. I've not aware of any NFL experts that don't feel that way about him.

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I love Royal and think he is a great receiver, but he will be MUCH better with Marshall on the field. Obviously, we all saw what he did in week 1, but he caught the world by surprise, not just the Raiders.

Royal isn't big or strong enough to demand double teams. If he turns out to be our number 1 receiver, he will get some, but also be mostly shut down when he is double teamed. I know you aren't a fan of Cutlers or Marshalls, but I am sure you will agree that one of the reasons that Royal had the second most receptions ever by a rookie WR (only Boldin had more) was because Marshall drew so much attention, leaving Royal almost always single covered, where his quickness, ability to separate and routing running skills shine.

If you take Marshall out of the picture, and Royal is now the #1 WR, then that means he is the guy that teams will game plan to 'take out of play' and that means that Stokely and Gaffney will have to play last year's Royal role. I think we can all see that Stokely/Gaffney are likely to be much less productive than Royal in that role.

Also, when we face teams with good CBs, they won't even both double-teaming Royal.

Nobody has to like his off-field behavior, or what he pulled in TC, but it really doesn't matter what stats are thrown out to try and make Marshall look like a crappy receiver or to try and prove that he only looked good because Cutler threw to him too much, the fact is that anyone who actually watched the games knows that Marshall is an elite talent on the field. I've not aware of any NFL experts that don't feel that way about him.

I guess we Will have to agree to disagree..

I hope he plays lights out this year, so we Can get MAX value for him and the other WR can get used to the system and experience for next year when He most likely will not be here..

TXBRONC
09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

I think you and I are on the same page. :beer:

Tned
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I guess we Will have to agree to disagree..

I hope he plays lights out this year, so we Can get MAX value for him and the other WR can get used to the system and experience for next year when He most likely will not be here..

You disagree that Marshall is more likely to command a double team than Royal? :confused:

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
You disagree that Marshall is more likely to command a double team than Royal? :confused:

I think having royale on the squad helps BM than the other way around.. I think that Eddie is a better receiver than BM is.. we all know as it stands he is a team player and most likely a better human being than BM is..

TXBRONC
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM

I don't get that either.

Tned
09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I think having royale on the squad helps BM than the other way around.. I think that Eddie is a better receiver than BM is.. we all know as it stands he is a team player and most likely a better human being than BM is..

Ok, that's a bold statement (Royal being a better receiver than Marshall). Does that mean that the answer to my question: "Do you think Marhsall is more likely to draw a double team than Royal?" is no?

You believe, Royal is more likely to draw a double team than Marshall?

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Like in the past everyone in the western hemisphere knew that jay was going to force the ball to marshall.. while leaving someone open underneath or short..

Can they disguise coverages.. YES but if the scheme works like it should it should not matter as Marshall will not be only WR target on the field 50% of the time..

#1's AVG being targeted 125times/year

#2's AVG being targeted 80 times/year

#3's AVG being targeted 50 times/year

#4's AVG being targeted 26 times/year

How many times was BM'ellow targeted? :D

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Those numbers sound right for a #1 receiver of Marshall's talent. Moving back to the dink and dunk, with tons of WR and RB screens, I fully expect the ball to be spread around much more than a passing game with any kind of vertical thread.

That said, a player like Marshall or Moss, frees up those underneath routes, because they have to put two defenders on Marshall, because no DB in the league can cover him one on one, if the QB can get him the ball.

In all fairness to all the other #1's out there.....

....most if not all of them are #1's BECAUSE they pull additional coverage, no?

Unlike another poster, though, I won't insult your football IQ, tned. ;)

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
#1's AVG being targeted 125times/year 181*

#2's AVG being targeted 80 times/year 129*
#3's AVG being targeted 50 times/year 85*

#4's AVG being targeted 26 times/year 21*

* being the actual numbers in 2008l

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah.. but I still don't see your point?

For one.. Jackson was rarely on the field... beign a WR or not. Every team has those guys that come in and 'hold a spot'...but they don't get thrown to a lot. If the Jacksons were better.... tye most probably would be put into positions that would get them more passes.

Eddie caught 91 balls last season. To simply say that Marshall got 140% more passes is VERY VERy deceiving, and doesn't say anything.

If I throw the ball the ball the first 4 plays of the game, and throw at marshall 3 times and Royal once.... that means we throw the ball 300% more to Marshall than we do Royal. WOW.. 300%!!!!! That 300% illustrates just how close 140% really is.

Thats all I'm saying. You try to make it sound as if the only eyes Cutler had was Marhall. But when you have the #2 catch 90+ passes... I think thats EXTREMELY short-sighted as to the truth. When you throw the ball 38.5 times a game, your big time stud WR is going to get his fair share of the passes.

:confused: Huh?

so 1x more, which is 2 (1+1), equals 200%?

Wow...I'm gonna kick the SHIT out of my math teachers when I get back home!!!!!! :mad:

dogfish
09-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Royal isn't big or strong enough to demand double teams.

i gotta play devil's advocate on this one-- royal's about the same size and strength as steve smith, and he draws double coverage almost all the time. . . in fact, when the seachickens beat carolina en route to the '05 super bowl, they were bracketing smith with a corner trailing, a safety over the top AND a linebacker floating underneath on a lot of snaps. . . .

size isn't what commands double teams-- it's playmaking ability. . . nobody ever doubled mike williams, and he was huge. . .

Tned
09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
i gotta play devil's advocate on this one-- royal's about the same size and strength as steve smith, and he draws double coverage almost all the time. . . in fact, when the seachickens beat carolina en route to the '05 super bowl, they were bracketing smith with a corner trailing, a safety over the top AND a linebacker floating underneath on a lot of snaps. . . .

size isn't what commands double teams-- it's playmaking ability. . . nobody ever doubled mike williams, and he was huge. . .

Good point, size isn't the only factor. I was reacting/overreacting to the revisionist history that now has Marshall being portrayed as a scrub that isn't even as good as Royal and is less likely to draw double teams than Royal is.

Regardless you make a good point. My bad.

dogfish
09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Good point, size isn't the only factor. I was reacting/overreacting to the revisionist history that now has Marshall being portrayed as a scrub that isn't even as good as Royal and is less likely to draw double teams than Royal is.

Regardless you make a good point. My bad.

what are you talking about? marshall isn't any good. . . . i rank him just behind gaffney and brandon lloyd if he ever does show up. . . .

Tned
09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
#1's AVG being targeted 125times/year

#2's AVG being targeted 80 times/year

#3's AVG being targeted 50 times/year

#4's AVG being targeted 26 times/year

Ok, I have no idea about these numbers, but I assume they are accurate, so let's go with them.

The average among NFL teams last year was 516 passing attempts, so those numbers should correspond to that 'average'.

Therefore, when you factor in the increased attempts the Broncos had, then your chart should look like:

#1's AVG being targeted 150 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#2's AVG being targeted 96 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#3's AVG being targeted 80 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#4's AVG being targeted 31 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

Now, if I remember correctly, Marshall was targeted more than 150 times, but that was based on a league average, many of which include teams that don't really have a #1 receiver, hence the problem with averages.

That said, I don't know a single person that doesn't think that Marshall was targeted too often, such as the many deep throws that went his way whent he was double or triple covered.

Tned
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
what are you talking about? marshall isn't any good. . . . i rank him just behind gaffney and brandon lloyd if he ever does show up. . . .

:lol: Yes, you have that in common with a few others than. Personally, I have to put Hillis in front of Lloyd and Gaffney, so that drops B-Marsh even further...

TXBRONC
09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

It's mind boggling how such a talentless receiver could catch 200 plus passes over the past two seasons combined from a quarterback that wasn't all that talented either.

MOtorboat
09-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Signed, OaklandRaider. :cool:

Lonestar
09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I have no idea about these numbers, but I assume they are accurate, so let's go with them.

The average among NFL teams last year was 516 passing attempts, so those numbers should correspond to that 'average'.

Therefore, when you factor in the increased attempts the Broncos had, then your chart should look like:

#1's AVG being targeted 150 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#2's AVG being targeted 96 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#3's AVG being targeted 80 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

#4's AVG being targeted 31 times/year (adjusted for 620 pass attempts)

Now, if I remember correctly, Marshall was targeted more than 150 times, but that was based on a league average, many of which include teams that don't really have a #1 receiver, hence the problem with averages.

That said, I don't know a single person that doesn't think that Marshall was targeted too often, such as the many deep throws that went his way whent he was double or triple covered.

IMHO he was targeted to often, 181 times 30% of jay total passes or 43% of those to WR's last year..170 in 2007 if you look at the number of time the ball was forced to him in double or triple coverage with someone open underneath in 08.. in 07 there was not much else to throw to..

Look I know most folks like him but IMHO you do not throw almost half of your passes to one guy when others are more efficient in catching them and are not tied for the lead the NFL in dropped balls.. considering he is double and triple teamed when others are WIDE OPEN..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2008/broncos/

T.K.O.
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
i just hope when he is back in the game and the ball does'nt come his way 15 times a game he does'nt go all t.o. on orton .....and say "jay threw it to me every other time.....how am i gonna get my stats up with you throwing to all the other guys?";)

Requiem / The Dagda
09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Ashley Lelie had his 1,000 yard season when he was target over 100 times. Just sayin'.

T.K.O.
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
i will be very happy with 800+ yards from marshall...........royal,stokely,gaffney,moreno,hi llis,jordan and buckhalter